77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » Roe songs on PPOA » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Roe songs on PPOA
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
God-rules God-rules is a male
Happy Roy

Registration Date: 06-03-2004

Roe songs on PPOA Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'm a so totally not a liner notes guy, so while I was looking at PPOA liner I noticed that of the "9" songs on the disc Mike Roe only had 1/2 writing credits for 4 of them and none for the other five.

I guess I was sort of amazed by this. I have pretty much always just considered Mike to be guy behind the band - and in front of it as well.

FWIW

Michaelgonnareadtheotherlinernotestoo

I'm gonna put my carbon footprint right up a greenies lactose intolerant hind end! - squidzit 2008
08-23-2005 10:30 God-rules is offline Send an Email to God-rules Search for Posts by God-rules Add God-rules to your Buddy List
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

RE: Roe songs on PPOA Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I have been trying to refute the myth of my "in chargeness" for years but no one listens because everyone wants to worship a leader.

It's in our nature, I guess.

quote:
Originally posted by God-rules
I'm a so totally not a liner notes guy, so while I was looking at PPOA liner I noticed that of the "9" songs on the disc Mike Roe only had 1/2 writing credits for 4 of them and none for the other five.

I guess I was sort of amazed by this. I have pretty much always just considered Mike to be guy behind the band - and in front of it as well.

FWIW

Michaelgonnareadtheotherlinernotestoo
08-23-2005 11:14 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
DaLe DaLe is a male
Mr. Magoo

images/avatars/avatar-556.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2004
Location: MiNNeSoTa - HeRe we put salt on the Roads... Lord, Help me be Salt of the Earth - NoT Salt in the Wound. so, take most everything I SaY HeRe with a grain of Salt !

Thumb Up! Doctor Love our leader is HeRe Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

08-23-2005 11:27 DaLe is offline Send an Email to DaLe Search for Posts by DaLe Add DaLe to your Buddy List
phreak phreak is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

Registration Date: 08-02-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning With Land In Sight

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Tongue

the good doctor - each time I have seen him has definitely been trying to clear up the myth that he is the influence and main song writer of the 7's material...

pointing to the Marks influence and others...

although... when talking to M. Harmon and B. Spencer at times they always are quick to point out that Mike is amazing in taking their ideas and expounding and making it something all together different...

~f

~ ffphreeack!! ~

Christianity 101: love God; love others

08-23-2005 11:30 phreak is offline Send an Email to phreak Search for Posts by phreak Add phreak to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of phreak: doug77@mac.com
BigDork
Happy Roy

images/avatars/avatar-218.jpg

Registration Date: 05-28-2004
Location: lI was lonely and hungry, but not so lonely I wouldn't eat

RE: Doctor Love our leader is HeRe Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by DaLe

heh heh

08-23-2005 12:37 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
God-rules God-rules is a male
Happy Roy

Registration Date: 06-03-2004

Thread Starter Thread Started by God-rules
RE: Roe songs on PPOA Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Love
I have been trying to refute the myth of my "in chargeness" for years but no one listens because everyone wants to worship a leader.

It's in our nature, I guess.

We're not worthy!!!!

Michaelthepenitant

I'm gonna put my carbon footprint right up a greenies lactose intolerant hind end! - squidzit 2008
08-23-2005 13:38 God-rules is offline Send an Email to God-rules Search for Posts by God-rules Add God-rules to your Buddy List
Audiori J
unregistered
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I think Mike's delivery of the lyrics have such feeling and emotion people tend to think they came from him. Or in other words its hard to listen to a 77s song especially live and not think it came from him. Maybe I am wrong but to me thats how it seems.

Kinda like how a really good actor puts so much of himself in a role people tend to think the actor is like the character in real life.
08-23-2005 13:55
phreak phreak is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

Registration Date: 08-02-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning With Land In Sight

good point audiori...

Mike's phrasing of a lyric is also amazing and clearly a roe thing...

~f

~ ffphreeack!! ~

Christianity 101: love God; love others

08-23-2005 17:22 phreak is offline Send an Email to phreak Search for Posts by phreak Add phreak to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of phreak: doug77@mac.com
dennis
Happy Roy

images/avatars/avatar-487.jpg

Registration Date: 10-03-2004
Favorite 77s album: "88"

That is the sign of a great performer,
that upon hearing the performance one makes the mistake of thinking
not only did they write the song, but it is from personal experience.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 08-23-2005 17:26.

08-23-2005 17:25 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
DaLe DaLe is a male
Mr. Magoo

images/avatars/avatar-556.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2004
Location: MiNNeSoTa - HeRe we put salt on the Roads... Lord, Help me be Salt of the Earth - NoT Salt in the Wound. so, take most everything I SaY HeRe with a grain of Salt !

quote:
Originally posted by dennis

your not telling us you didn't write "Cheap Food & Good Beer" or "Saturday Afternoon" Shocked are you . . .

08-24-2005 07:01 DaLe is offline Send an Email to DaLe Search for Posts by DaLe Add DaLe to your Buddy List
chadzwo chadzwo is a male
Someone New

Registration Date: 06-08-2004
Favorite 77s album: Self-Titled (the first one)

I agree with much of what has been said...but I think I can usually distinguish a Roe song from a song written by someone else in the band. Also, I think the best "mix" was Mike, Mark Tootle, Jan Eric, and Aaron Smith...the other lineups, they don't compare. The only people I've ever heard disagree are those who got into the 77's at or after Sticks and Stones...all "old school" fans I've talked to agree, which doesn't mean there cannot be exceptions, just my observation from my experience.

BTW, Stryper was in town promoting their new disc on Wednesday and I didn't even know it...would have stopped in to see them...loved them as a kid, though that isn't my thing these days.
08-26-2005 20:29 chadzwo is offline Send an Email to chadzwo Search for Posts by chadzwo Add chadzwo to your Buddy List
dennis
Happy Roy

images/avatars/avatar-487.jpg

Registration Date: 10-03-2004
Favorite 77s album: "88"

quote:
Originally posted by DaLe
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

your not telling us you didn't write "Cheap Food & Good Beer" or "Saturday Afternoon" Shocked are you . . .

You are pretty funny Dale! Pleased
08-26-2005 23:30 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » Roe songs on PPOA

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH