77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » PPOTA Song Order » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page PPOTA Song Order
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
BigDork
Happy Roy

images/avatars/avatar-218.jpg

Registration Date: 05-28-2004
Location: lI was lonely and hungry, but not so lonely I wouldn't eat

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Thanks! Pleased

03-30-2005 08:06 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
sirjakeyjake sirjakeyjake is a male
Praying Naked

images/avatars/avatar-99.gif

Registration Date: 07-29-2004
Favorite 77s album: S&S

Thread Starter Thread Started by sirjakeyjake
RE: PPOTA Song Order Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
yes...

it is All fall Down that we are talking about here even if we keep referring to it as PPOTA. Roll Eyes

we knew one of them was screwed up Tongue

Sorry, but the original PPOTA cassette my cousin and I have swapped back and forth since its release has a different song order than is listed for the 123 version.

I don't mean to sound like a pain (here come the replies)...I was really just curious.

I will get a scan of the cassette (current in Eugene with my cousin) and post it soon.

Here's the PPOTA order, via this website, from the original release:
-------------------
A Different Kind of Light
How Can You Love
It's So Sad
Falling Down a Hole
Someone New
Renaissance Man
Ping Pong Over the Abyss
Time Is Slipping Away
Denomination Blues (That's All)
-------------------

Here's the order, c/o my CD copy from this cassette:

-------------------
How Can You Love
Renaissance Man
Ping Pong Over the Abyss
Falling Down a Hole
Someone New
It's So Sad
Time Is Slipping Away
-------------------

I just received visual confirmation from my cousin's wife, and they're scanning it for me, in case the naysayers say "boo". Wink

Really, I'm just curious. Sounds like it wasn't intentional.

"We are the music makers,
and we are the dreamers of dreams."
----------Willy Wonka----------
03-30-2005 16:47 sirjakeyjake is offline Send an Email to sirjakeyjake Search for Posts by sirjakeyjake Add sirjakeyjake to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for sirjakeyjake
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

images/avatars/avatar-381.gif

Registration Date: 11-17-2004
Favorite 77s album: The one's Mike plays guitar on

RE: PPOTA Song Order Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by sirjakeyjake
quote:
yes...

it is All fall Down that we are talking about here even if we keep referring to it as PPOTA. Roll Eyes

we knew one of them was screwed up Tongue

Sorry, but the original PPOTA cassette my cousin and I have swapped back and forth since its release has a different song order than is listed for the 123 version.

I don't mean to sound like a pain (here come the replies)...I was really just curious.

I will get a scan of the cassette (current in Eugene with my cousin) and post it soon.

Here's the PPOTA order, via this website, from the original release:
-------------------
How Can You Love
It's So Sad
Falling Down a Hole
Someone New
Renaissance Man
Ping Pong Over the Abyss
Time Is Slipping Away
-------------------

Here's the order, c/o my CD copy from this cassette:

-------------------
How Can You Love
Renaissance Man
Ping Pong Over the Abyss
Falling Down a Hole
Someone New
It's So Sad
Time Is Slipping Away
-------------------

I just received visual confirmation from my cousin's wife, and they're scanning it for me, in case the naysayers say "boo". Wink

Really, I'm just curious. Sounds like it wasn't intentional.

My bet is that the cassette was sequenced like that to try and match play times, as best as possible, per side.

Just my bet, but I feel fairly confident in that one.

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies
and i don't understand it"

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
03-30-2005 18:58 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
BigDork
Happy Roy

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

that is strange...

since I've never had the cassette version I have nothing to compare it to.

03-30-2005 20:53 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
Praying Naked

quote:

My bet is that the cassette was sequenced like that to try and match play times, as best as possible, per side.

THAT, my friend, is a good point. I was going down that road when his wife read to me that the cassette said "Program 1" and "Program 2" (vs. "Side 1", etc.). I forget so easily when you don't have the constraints of "30-min per side" to deal with...or arranging the order of the songs to fit not only for time constraints, but for palatability PER SIDE instead of over the entire disc. (I think of Linkin Park's releases...how odd it would be for Meteora, for instance, to have been sequenced per side of a cassette vs. the front-to-back overall feel of the whole disc listened to in one sitting.)

Good thinking to drift off to sleep to...

03-30-2005 21:40 sirjakeyjake is offline Send an Email to sirjakeyjake Search for Posts by sirjakeyjake Add sirjakeyjake to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for sirjakeyjake
Praying Naked

quote:

That, or we have something in the "ultra-rare" category. Wink

It'll probably be like you said, though.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by sirjakeyjake: 03-30-2005 21:43.

03-30-2005 21:43 sirjakeyjake is offline Send an Email to sirjakeyjake Search for Posts by sirjakeyjake Add sirjakeyjake to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for sirjakeyjake
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

The cassette version was indeed scrambled to make the two 'sides' compatible time-wise, a common practice in those days.

Just be grateful this was never released on 8-track -- they did some really whack song orders with those!
03-31-2005 01:04 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

images/avatars/avatar-381.gif

Registration Date: 11-17-2004
Favorite 77s album: The one's Mike plays guitar on

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Love
The cassette version was indeed scrambled to make the two 'sides' compatible time-wise, a common practice in those days.

Just be grateful this was never released on 8-track -- they did some really whack song orders with those!

Not to mention the pause in the song, while it switches tracks, to complete it on the next track!

Of the 8 tracks that I had, growing up, when I listen to the CD versions of them, I still have that pause in my head, where the song changed tracks!

Ahhh, the wonders of the 8-Track!

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies
and i don't understand it"

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
03-31-2005 04:17 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
BigDork
Happy Roy

gotta love that pause!!! Tongue

03-31-2005 07:24 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
Praying Naked

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Love

Excellent! A definitive answer, after years of searching.

Reiterating earlier comments...I think it's interesting, having known no other version than this cassette version, that the songs sound so great in this order I'm used to, compared to what I've found out is the originally-intended order. That, of course, is perspective.

Thank you, Dr., for curing this ill. My mind (and this thread) may rest peacefully now. Wink

P.s. My dad still has a working component 8-track player. There are times where, like vinyl, I think those recordings add something to the listening experience...even as they take away a lot, compared to today.

03-31-2005 12:05 sirjakeyjake is offline Send an Email to sirjakeyjake Search for Posts by sirjakeyjake Add sirjakeyjake to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for sirjakeyjake
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

P.s. My dad still has a working component 8-track player. There are times where, like vinyl, I think those recordings add something to the listening experience...even as they take away a lot, compared to today.

>>>> this comment got me to remembering how totally awesome sounding and fun my old 8-track collection was. For all its flaws, this was a valid and very enjoyable (tho often frustrating!) medium.

Now....would I like to go back to this technology today? I'll let all you pundits answer that one.
04-01-2005 09:30 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
Mudpappy Mudpappy is a male
Drowning with Land in Sight

Registration Date: 02-10-2005

8-track fan Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I miss having songs fade out in the middle and then fading back in on another "track". That's the only way to listen to music!

My 8-Track collection (nobody asked for this, but here it is) :

ABBA "ABBA"
    Nazareth "Loud N Proud"
    Nazareth "Hair Of The Dog"
    Saturday Night Fever

*Müdþaþþy
04-01-2005 11:23 Mudpappy is offline Send an Email to Mudpappy Homepage of Mudpappy Search for Posts by Mudpappy Add Mudpappy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Mudpappy: x YIM Account Name of Mudpappy: x View the MSN Profile for Mudpappy
phreak phreak is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

Registration Date: 08-02-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning With Land In Sight

i remember two eight tracks that definitely are imprinted in my memory...

grand funk railroad - a best of

and the best of Jim Croce

the click to the next program was definitely a part of the experience...

Cool

~ ffphreeack!! ~

Christianity 101: love God; love others

04-01-2005 12:27 phreak is offline Send an Email to phreak Search for Posts by phreak Add phreak to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of phreak: doug77@mac.com

When I first heard "Night On Disco Mountain" on CD, I was horrified that they didn't fade the song out until the end.

I remember having scratched vinyl that I would get used to hearing skip during certain tunes. Then, when I owned the same album on cassette or CD, I would always anticipate the skips during some of the songs and be a little bit disappointed that they weren't there anymore.

*Müdþaþþy
04-01-2005 13:47 Mudpappy is offline Send an Email to Mudpappy Homepage of Mudpappy Search for Posts by Mudpappy Add Mudpappy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Mudpappy: x YIM Account Name of Mudpappy: x View the MSN Profile for Mudpappy
phreak phreak is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

our brains are like that....

just like I can't hear Car's Moving In Stereo on the radio without beginning to read "All Mixed Up" as that song fades right into the outro of Moving In Stereo...

~f

~ ffphreeack!! ~

04-01-2005 13:49 phreak is offline Send an Email to phreak Search for Posts by phreak Add phreak to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of phreak: doug77@mac.com

Lz Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

That's similar to when the classic rock radio stations don't play "Living Loving Maid" immediately after "Heartbreaker".

*Müdþaþþy
04-01-2005 14:37 Mudpappy is offline Send an Email to Mudpappy Homepage of Mudpappy Search for Posts by Mudpappy Add Mudpappy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Mudpappy: x YIM Account Name of Mudpappy: x View the MSN Profile for Mudpappy
eugene iv
Someone New

Registration Date: 03-04-2005

Red Face

04-01-2005 15:03 eugene iv is offline Send an Email to eugene iv Search for Posts by eugene iv Add eugene iv to your Buddy List
phreak phreak is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

take your boredom off the on topic side of things...

~f

~ ffphreeack!! ~

04-01-2005 17:40 phreak is offline Send an Email to phreak Search for Posts by phreak Add phreak to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of phreak: doug77@mac.com
RaySteele
Praying Naked

images/avatars/avatar-143.jpg

Registration Date: 04-01-2005

RE: Lz Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Mudpappy
That's similar to when the classic rock radio stations don't play "Living Loving Maid" immediately after "Heartbreaker".

there u r u little maggot!! tryin 2 b the cool guy again eh? big deal. everybo dy knows who led zepplin is. YOUR NOT THAT COOL BRO!!

Mad

04-01-2005 17:41 RaySteele is offline Send an Email to RaySteele Search for Posts by RaySteele Add RaySteele to your Buddy List
dennis
Happy Roy

images/avatars/avatar-487.jpg

Registration Date: 10-03-2004
Favorite 77s album: "88"

I used to have a bunch of 8-Tracks, but Patti did not like them! Shocked
04-01-2005 22:56 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » PPOTA Song Order

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH