77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » Fun with Sound » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (8): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Fun with Sound 5 Votes - Average Rating: 10.005 Votes - Average Rating: 10.005 Votes - Average Rating: 10.005 Votes - Average Rating: 10.005 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
PennSt8 PennSt8 is a female
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 05-31-2004

Fun with Sound Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

So, has anyone else been able to listen to this yet? I picked up a copy at the Nashvegas show the other night (even though I'd already ordered one from the website--before I knew that the show was happening. I couldn't wait for my mail-ordered one to arrive, when they were just sitting there on the table, staring me in the face.)

Anyway, it was on continuous spin after I loaded it onto my computer at work yesterday. I really, really like it...it's moody, nuanced and classic. I need to spend some time with it in my car--that's where I tend to really LISTEN to music, but so far, big thumbs up! Big Grin
11-12-2004 06:23 PennSt8 is offline Send an Email to PennSt8 Search for Posts by PennSt8 Add PennSt8 to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Flower in the Sand

Registration Date: 06-02-2004
Favorite 77s album: The Funky Crow Thang
Location: Loveland, CO.... "I told my mother when I was four years old I wanted to be a Rock and Roll singer and a dishwasher. And that's kinda how it's worked out."

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

So, IS this shipping yet? If so, I may at last need to commit the unspeakable act....

(this is my official work photo, BTW... Tongue Shocked )
11-12-2004 09:01 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Homepage of carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List
.eugene 2.0.
Perfect Blues

Registration Date: 11-10-2004

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

yeah, what he said..... Red Face

11-12-2004 10:03 .eugene 2.0. is offline Send an Email to .eugene 2.0. Search for Posts by .eugene 2.0. Add .eugene 2.0. to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-92.jpeg

Registration Date: 05-27-2004

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

The CDs just arrived here today... just a few minutes ago in fact.
We'll be getting all of the current orders put together this evening
and shipped by tomorrow morning.
11-12-2004 11:32 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Flower in the Sand

Location: Loveland, CO.... "I told my mother when I was four years old I wanted to be a Rock and Roll singer and a dishwasher. And that's kinda how it's worked out."

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Let me pray about it. Big Grin

11-12-2004 11:35 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Homepage of carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List
phreak phreak is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

Registration Date: 08-02-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning With Land In Sight

very chilled...

not a frivilous release

very nuanced (as Penn observed)... rich and multilayered - worthy of repeated listens (repeat & repeat)...

I have really enjoyed it - from the start to the finish...

Great lyrics... some real fine work - Mike the english major shines!!!

"and at the end of all my plans and scheme was you thank you for your dreams" (track 4)
"bygones bygones, farewell, oh farewell, but I won't fare well with what I have done." (track 1)
Ride the Waves - amazing lyric - too much to record here... (track 6)
"I sat down the conductor greeted me then He kneeled, washed my feet and he said you're looking like you rose from the dead" (track 7)
"I'm never wise, I'm otherwise." (track 4, again)

some great gems... worthy of pondering.

knee jerk reaction to the "high moments" - stand out tracks:
track 1 - gone in a moment - a gentle little starter...
track 4 - thank you for the dreams - mellow, great lyric, bass groove that gets you swaying - nice mike solo
track 6 - a rocker - great guitar playing - great vibe - this is a stand out to me of all the stand outs...

other notes...
the return to orbis - via l'orbis/jack spoiler (track 9) was real cool
the Blind Willie Johnson cover is cool (track 10)
is the Mick Fleetwood - THE Mick Fleetwood drumming on tracks 2,6, & 7?!?!?!

~f

~ ffphreeack!! ~

Christianity 101: love God; love others

11-17-2004 07:48 phreak is offline Send an Email to phreak Search for Posts by phreak Add phreak to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of phreak: doug77@mac.com
.evangeline. .evangeline. is a female
Radioactive Hatchling

Registration Date: 06-05-2004

i wants it!

"...the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it by force."
11-17-2004 07:57 .evangeline. is offline Send an Email to .evangeline. Search for Posts by .evangeline. Add .evangeline. to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Flower in the Sand

WE wants it! The precious!!!

11-17-2004 08:22 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Homepage of carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List
j77
unregistered

I just got my copies in the mail. Smile ) Smile ) Smile ) Smile ) Smile ) Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Smile ) Smile ) Smile ) Smile ) Smile )
11-18-2004 13:47
rob 3.0 rob 3.0 is a male
Radioactive Crow

images/avatars/avatar-180.gif

Registration Date: 05-28-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning With Land in Sight

quote:
Originally posted by carl
WE wants it! The precious!!!

LOL Big Grin

Was I ever on the inside?
11-18-2004 15:01 rob 3.0 is offline Send an Email to rob 3.0 Homepage of rob 3.0 Search for Posts by rob 3.0 Add rob 3.0 to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of rob 3.0: digitalrob3 YIM Account Name of rob 3.0: flashfan77 View the MSN Profile for rob 3.0
beatlenut beatlenut is a male
Someone New

Registration Date: 09-24-2004

Still not in today's mail. Sure takes a long time to get to Illinois.

11-19-2004 12:00 beatlenut is offline Send an Email to beatlenut Search for Posts by beatlenut Add beatlenut to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Flower in the Sand

It's those DAmb border checks along the Mississippi. Red Face

Tongue

11-19-2004 12:02 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Homepage of carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List
Radioactive Crow

quote:
Originally posted by beatlenut

Yeah it does Big Grin . It only takes me an hour to drive to Wentzville why does the mail take so long.

11-19-2004 16:35 rob 3.0 is offline Send an Email to rob 3.0 Homepage of rob 3.0 Search for Posts by rob 3.0 Add rob 3.0 to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of rob 3.0: digitalrob3 YIM Account Name of rob 3.0: flashfan77 View the MSN Profile for rob 3.0
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-92.jpeg

Registration Date: 05-27-2004

quote:
Originally posted by rob 3.0
quote:
Originally posted by beatlenut

Yeah it does Big Grin . It only takes me an hour to drive to Wentzville why does the mail take so long.

If ya want, send us a note (audiori@77s.com) with your
info and we'll check on it and make sure everythings ok.
11-19-2004 17:11 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Radioactive Crow

Well I'm not too concerned guys, I haven't had a chance to check the mail today and I've never had a problem with an order. Although I did order Daydream along with FwS and I got that in just a few days. If I don't have it by Thanksgiving I'll send ya an email. Big Grin

11-19-2004 17:20 rob 3.0 is offline Send an Email to rob 3.0 Homepage of rob 3.0 Search for Posts by rob 3.0 Add rob 3.0 to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of rob 3.0: digitalrob3 YIM Account Name of rob 3.0: flashfan77 View the MSN Profile for rob 3.0
carl carl is a male
Flower in the Sand

Big Grin We HAS it! The PRECIOUSSSSS!!! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'll post something longer on Monday, but for now: This is DAMb good. I was a tad concerned for about two minutes, until the bridge on the first song just WALLOPED me. I cried tears of relief and have moved on. Crying Big Grin

Stylistically, it's kind of Daydream with words. I would throw in The Boat Ashore as a reference but I'm still weighing the validity of that. Anyway, they definitely were having fun with sound, but that don't make it a fun album.

Anyway anyway, Mike & Mark finally strike again with a finally full-faithin'-length CD.

Hoo-HAH!!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

11-20-2004 07:27 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Homepage of carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List
Radioactive Crow

Sounds great! I can't wait. Big Grin

11-20-2004 08:00 rob 3.0 is offline Send an Email to rob 3.0 Homepage of rob 3.0 Search for Posts by rob 3.0 Add rob 3.0 to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of rob 3.0: digitalrob3 YIM Account Name of rob 3.0: flashfan77 View the MSN Profile for rob 3.0
carl carl is a male
Flower in the Sand

Cool The longer version.... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

There's still a crapload here to absorb (but as we're driving down to Baltimore for Thanksgiving, I'll have plenty of road time for that Big Grin ), but some general observations/questions:

1) I'm still gonna stay with "Daydream with words" as a general description, and keep The Boat Ashore in reserve until I've spent several more months with it. But TBA gives more points for comparison -- there's no "Bended Knee" on here to completely knock you on yr butt while you wait for the rest of the album to kick in, but it helps to know that upfront. Either way, it'll probably take a good two years to completely process this. Big Grin

2) Something to keep in mind -- given Mike's lyrical ability and especially given my own opinion that Mike has grown in leaps and bounds as a singer in recent years ("Lifeline" being the best and most recent example) -- is that the vocals/lyrics definitely take a back seat to the overall sound on this one. Mike doesn't knock anything out of the ballpark here in these departments this time out (with the possible exception of the lyrics to "Ride the Waves"), but then again that's not the intent. Just saying that to say you kind of have to step back and take this on its own terms. It's still way more accessible than Orbis. Big Grin

3) There's a LOT going on here musically/sonically -- again, the general moodiness betrays the CD's title (aside from the last two, "fun" is not a word you'd use to describe the songs here) but the inventiveness of the music/arrangements themselves sure doesn't. I'm pretty sure this will be, like TBA, one of those CDs you absorb like crazy, put away for a few months, bust out again only to find stuff you completely missed the first time, absorb again like crazy, put away for another few months, bust out again only to find stuff you completely missed the last two times, absorb yet again like crazy, etc. Big Grin

4) Favorite songs/moments: the aforementioned bridge of "Gone in a Moment," where any doubts one might've had are immediately put to rest; "Say So Long to Yr Sad Old Love Song"; "Ride the Waves" (both lyrically and the hellacious "COWABUNGA!" guitar solo); the majestic coda of "Guadalupe" on through the pretentious electronic goofiness giving way to the Troggs on "L'Orbis/Jack Spoiler" through the stompin' Drowning-esque (for more than one reason) "I'm Gonna Run to the City of Refuge."

5) Questions: a) How the faith did Mick Fleetwood wind up on this? And are rumours of a Stevie Nicks/Mike Roe tryst unfounded? And can they tour together anyway? b) Who's the mysterious angel drumming the rest of the time? And for that matter.... c) Why is this album being dedicated to the drummer who's NOT here? Is there something we should know? Frown d) So, how much money do Mike and Mark owe Atlantic Records? Tongue e) And for that matter, how come Blind Willie Johnson isn't acknowledged as the writer of "...City of Refuge" here? Are Page and Plant gonna need to come around and steal this BACK???? Mad Mad Mad Mad

6) Back to absorbing.... Pleased Pleased Pleased

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by carl: 11-22-2004 12:37.

11-22-2004 07:10 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Homepage of carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

images/avatars/avatar-381.gif

Registration Date: 11-17-2004
Favorite 77s album: The one's Mike plays guitar on

RE: The longer version.... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I have printed the above, so I can read it while I go to the library.

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies
and i don't understand it"

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
11-22-2004 07:23 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
carl carl is a male
Flower in the Sand

I'd've thought that the above would've precluded the need for a visit to the library. Big Grin

11-22-2004 07:28 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Homepage of carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List
Pages (8): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » Fun with Sound

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH