77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » CD & DVD Reviews » S. D. Young Review of "It's for You" » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page S. D. Young Review of "It's for You"
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Registration Date: 06-01-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning with Land in Sight

S. D. Young Review of "It's for You" Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'm coping & pasting a review I wrote for Mike Roe's "It's For You" album. ~Dale Young (Princeton, NJ)

OUTSTANDING LIVE SET!
This is a live 2-CD set with recordings from a 1997 tour, from 77's singer & guitarist Mike Roe. It's a mix of acoustic and electric performances (electric guitar, at least) - also featuring David Leonhardt (guitar) and Mark Harmon (bass) from the 77's, and Brian Meyers on percussion. Leonhardt also plays keyboards on one song ("This is the Way Love Is"). Three great things about this album:

1. Mike Roe's guitar playing. Nothing short of phenomenal. This album contains probably Mike's best blues work ever recorded. Amazing stuff on "Nobody's Fault But Mine" (closer to the Blind Willy Johnson recording than the Zeppelin version), and a blistering 3-minute guitar solo at the end of "Nuts for You." Excellent playing by both Mike and Dave on other songs too, including three instrumental pieces (Limelight, Mezzo, and John Lee's Blues).
2. The banter between Mike & Dave, and Mike & the audience. Sounds like they really recorded EVERYTHING on these sets. A lot of humor, funny moments & remarks from Mike - much of it in response to requests from people in the audience. Mike also shares a bit of personal background info on some of the songs & history of the 77's.
3. You get a wide variety of both Roe and 77's material, as well as some rare gems and a few oddballs. A total of 11 songs come from the 77's albums, "Drowning with Land in Sight" and "Sticks & Stones," and 5 songs come from Roe's "Safe as Milk" album. You also get a cool version of "King of the Road," a Hank Williams cover ("Beyond the Sunset"), an alternative version of "I Walk the Line" (the lyrics have been changed) and even a gospel selection ("Men Are So Busy"). And there's a great version of UUUU (from the indie-release, "More Miserable Than You'll Ever Be").

Also, my copy of this CD has a different album cover than the one currently shown on Amazon. I've got a picture of a naked 1-year old Mike Roe holding a telephone. The other cover looks like, I'm guessing, a picture of Mike's mom (but not sure about that).

FYI, the album title was chosen because these concerts were set up literally FOR the fans. In the liner notes Roe says he wanted to "pull together a tour that would be booked and promoted mostly by fans in whatever style and fashion they fancied, with no restrictions on the venue - be it bar, church, or alleyway, if warm bodies showed up, I'd be there to sing for them. . . most importantly, the fans picked nearly all of the songs we played every night - for the most part, each show was an all-request weekend." A pretty cool concept, I think. All told, this is an outstanding rock & roll album with some great blues and guitar playing, and a lot of good laughs. A must-have for any 77's or Mike Roe fan!

01-25-2013 08:55 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Registration Date: 06-01-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning with Land in Sight

Thread Starter Thread Started by Marti
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Part of the charm of that album is that it pulls in a lot of the banter and interaction with the audience that's part of the live shows.

01-25-2013 11:01 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
Rod Rod is a male
Baby Elvis

images/avatars/avatar-236.jpg

Registration Date: 08-21-2005
Favorite 77s album: When #s Get Serious

RE: S. D. Young Review of "It's for You" Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Well, I guess I need to get this one out again. Been a while..
01-25-2013 18:40 Rod is offline Send an Email to Rod Search for Posts by Rod Add Rod to your Buddy List
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

RE: S. D. Young Review of "It's for You" Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Very nice Marti, thanks for running that. I may have read that one before but I’m not sure. It’s very kind for an album that’s all over the place technically and musically, but it’s a fun listen.

It’s For You is the one thing I could hand a stranger that wanted to get to know me personally. After you’ve heard it, you can say you pretty much know me …. well, me at my best anyways ….

Those were the wild days of touring without a set list. What a mess, but we had fun. I can’t imagine doing that sort of thing again, mostly because it’s now been a few decades since I’ve even heard a lot of those tunes. In 1997, the oldest songs were 15 years old. Now they’re 30 years old. Lotsa brain cells gone missing since then.

I only recently became aware that “It’s For You” was a hit song for 60s British pop star Cilla Black written by John Lennon & Paul McCartney. Mine is waaayyy better:

http://youtu.be/zqwUz4RQETg
01-25-2013 22:15 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » CD & DVD Reviews » S. D. Young Review of "It's for You"

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH