77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » CD & DVD Reviews » Michael Roe - We All Gonna Face The Rising Sun » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Michael Roe - We All Gonna Face The Rising Sun
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Audiori J
unregistered
Michael Roe - We All Gonna Face The Rising Sun Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

A thread for the upcoming Mike Roe solo release. Cool
06-14-2009 08:02
Cynthia
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-483.jpg

Registration Date: 07-20-2005

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Can you tell us anything about it?

Is it mostly acoustic like I remember hearing something about a long time ago?

06-14-2009 14:18 Cynthia is offline Search for Posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your Buddy List
jeffrey k. jeffrey k. is a male
Mr. Magoo

images/avatars/avatar-353.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2004

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

An announcement will be made soon...

jeffrey k.

06-14-2009 14:25 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
MarkyMark77 MarkyMark77 is a male
Drowning with Land in Sight

images/avatars/avatar-456.jpg

Registration Date: 03-24-2005
Favorite 77s album: 99

Will this be available at C-Stone and/or the upcoming tour? I assume it will since the name of the album is the name of the tour!

06-16-2009 07:30 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
me-is-e
Drowning with Land in Sight

images/avatars/avatar-215.jpg

Registration Date: 03-14-2006
Favorite 77s album: the one I'm listening to

quote:
Originally posted by jeffrey k.
An announcement will be made soon...

jeffrey k.

Will be anxiously awaiting that announcement! Big Grin Cool

06-16-2009 13:53 me-is-e is offline Send an Email to me-is-e Homepage of me-is-e Search for Posts by me-is-e Add me-is-e to your Buddy List
Audiori J
unregistered

The bonus disc is pretty dang cool. I enjoyed it as much as the new album.

quote:
Originally posted by jeffrey k.

Lo-Fidelity Records is proud to present the latest solo recording from Michael Roe, We All Gonna Face The Rising Sun.

Michael Roe will admit it -- making his new album scared him half to death.

Start with the fact that We All Gonna Face the Rising Sun, is essentially a one-man show. Roe produced it himself, setting up shop in his California home, playing almost all of the instruments. It’s the first time he’s worked this way, and though it was a daunting proposition, the result is one of the most intimate of his nearly 30-year career.

But it’s the material itself that scared him even more. Rising Sun continues down the old-time spirituals/gospel path that Roe started with Holy Ghost Building (last year’s Seventy Sevens album). But, this time he dug deeper, unearthing countless records, haunting music from a bygone era, containing forgotten traditional songs and hymns. Then he set out to cover not only the songs, but evoke the sound and feeling of those records.

“I listened to hundreds of songs to come up with these,” he says of the 11 tracks on Rising Sun. “It’s one thing to like a song, but quite another to feel it, and to feel like I can pull off performing it with some kind of authenticity.”

There’s no question he pulled it off. Rising Sun starts in familiar territory, with acoustic guitars and sweet vocals, but it soon veers off into entirely new areas for this veteran performer. The title track in particular is a jaw-dropper --- it sounds like a field recording from a time long gone --- four men around a microphone singing to their Lord. In reality, the voices are all Roe’s, and the ‘dusty’ quality is down to creative mixing. But the feeling is genuine, and for Roe, that’s what counts.

Roe found himself haunted by these old songs, wondering again and again why they had been lost to the ages. Knowing very little about the origins of these recordings, he made up stories for himself, loose ideas of how he imagined the original artists came to learn and set these songs down. In the case of the title track, originally recorded by the Delta Big Four, the mystery added to the emotion of Roe’s version.

“The original record sounds so far away,” he said. “It has such a haunting quality to it. I wondered just how long these guys had to drive to get to some sleazy hotel just so some guy from a big city record company could capture their performance for his profit only. The whole time I was doing this, I had a loose idea about what I thought was going on, and that idea in my head became critical to the feeling I put down when singing and recording these songs.”

“I like the fact that I don’t really know the true story,” Roe said. “Like they’re all ghosts to me...”

Elsewhere on Rising Sun, Roe shows off a few new sides to his musical personality. On “Come to the Savior,” originally recorded by the Bailes Brothers, he pulls out a stunning Art Garfunkel impression, and the result sounds like an outtake from Wednesday Morning 3 A.M. He plays mandolin on “You Can’t Go Halfway,” and banjo (for the first time ever) on the gorgeous “Dry Bones.” And he takes on closing song “We Need More Rattlesnakes” like an old Kentucky storyteller, passing on an ancient oral tradition.

But perhaps the most striking thing you will hear on Rising Sun is Roe’s dead-on impersonation of Charlie Patton’s gruff shout, on Patton’s “I’m Goin’ Home.” It conjures up images of rickety wooden porches, rocking chairs, and old bluesmen with the dust of America in their bones. And it is the song here that most intimidated Roe.

“It was all about courage,” he said. “Do you dare to sit in Charlie Patton’s seat, and try to sing like him, and get away with it? But I eventually said, Charlie Patton’s not here to do it, and I know what it made me feel like when I heard him sing it. And I wanted to do it so bad.”

These songs may sound like nothing Michael Roe has ever recorded, but their themes are familiar ones for him. These are songs of redemption, of repentance, of God’s saving grace… and its chilling alternatives. In the end, it’s the songs themselves that scared Roe the most, not just because the world needs their message, but because he does as well.

“These songs make me tremble in my boots,” he said. “I cannot sing these and not feel it every time I sing them. I picked songs I need to hear.”

In a sense, though this is a different kind of Michael Roe album, its waters flow from the same river he’s always drawn from. He sings of life, of pain, of salvation, and though the songs this time are taken from years gone by, they are relevant and powerful even today. The sun is rising, and we all gonna face it, and these are the songs we will sing when it is our turn. (Andre Salles)

The tracklist for the album is as follows:

Jonah In The Wilderness
Dry Bones
Woke Up This Morning With My Mind
Come To The Saviour
You Can't Go Halfway
We All Gonna Face The Rising Sun
Satan Your Kingdom Must Come Down
Paul And Silas In Jail
I Know My Time Ain't Long
I'm Goin' Home
We Need More Rattlesnakes

Price - $15 (plus shipping)
Ordering begins July 2, 2009 - Shipping begins July 6, 2009.

The album has also been submitted to Itunes (as well as every other major digital retailer) and will be available for download worldwide within 4-8 weeks. Watch for updates on this!

The album will be available from both the 77s store, http://www.seventysevens.com/store_music.html - and Michael Roe's online store http://www.michaelroe.com/store/store.html - as well as on Mike's upcoming tour. Please check Mike's myspace page for tourdates in your area. - http://www.myspace.com/micro77s

***As a special bonus for online buyers, the first 400 orders will receive a special bonus CD with alternate mixes, rough takes, and an instrumental from Mike's personal archives. Please note, the bonus CD is only available online and will not be on the tour.***

As always, thanks for supporting Michael Roe and independent music.

jeffrey k.
support independent music
www.lo-fidelity.com
07-07-2009 16:49
Big Jim Big Jim is a male
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 08-22-2005
Favorite 77s album: Holy Ghost Building

Cool Facing the Rising Sun! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I purchased mine shortly after the announcement was made last Thursday - needles to say, I am very much looking forward to getting the new CD and bonus disc in the mail in advance of the concert!!

Oh by the way, that reminds me: If you live in NJ/NY/PA (or wherever and want to come out), please purchase tix and come out to the East Brunswick, NJ house concert on 7/21/09 at 7:30 pm. Please also consider purchasing tix for the master class at 5:30 pm that evening. Both events still have spaces available and are can't miss events in the most intimate setting imagineable!!

You know where you can go (to purchase tix for this show and all shows on this tour):

http://lamconcerts.com
http://michaelroe.com
http://77s.com

Thanks!
07-08-2009 09:06 Big Jim is offline Send an Email to Big Jim Homepage of Big Jim Search for Posts by Big Jim Add Big Jim to your Buddy List
Ping Pong Over the Abyss Ping Pong Over the Abyss is a male
Unbalanced

images/avatars/avatar-202.gif

Registration Date: 02-21-2006
Favorite 77s album: Too Many...!

I have this on the way. I almost expect an "unplugged" vibe from this record...just a gut feeling. Cool

07-08-2009 14:08 Ping Pong Over the Abyss is offline Send an Email to Ping Pong Over the Abyss Search for Posts by Ping Pong Over the Abyss Add Ping Pong Over the Abyss to your Buddy List
Amadeus Amadeus is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-407.jpg

Registration Date: 12-05-2006
Favorite 77s album: 77s (1987)

Just got mine in the mail today and all I can say is AWESOME!! Dr. Love does it again!! Just transferred it onto my iPOD and in the vault it goes. Another great piece of music from a very under-appreciated artist. Well done!!!

"Every saint has a past; every sinner has a future" - Andrew Volpe
07-13-2009 10:10 Amadeus is offline Send an Email to Amadeus Homepage of Amadeus Search for Posts by Amadeus Add Amadeus to your Buddy List
Unbalanced

Mine arrived today also and it's now on my iPod. Have to listen to it later. Cool

07-13-2009 14:29 Ping Pong Over the Abyss is offline Send an Email to Ping Pong Over the Abyss Search for Posts by Ping Pong Over the Abyss Add Ping Pong Over the Abyss to your Buddy List
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

images/avatars/avatar-381.gif

Registration Date: 11-17-2004
Favorite 77s album: The one's Mike plays guitar on

Just ordered this one and HGB, finally!

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies
and i don't understand it"

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
07-13-2009 15:31 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
jason
Someone New

Registration Date: 06-03-2004

Here's the artwork of the bonus disc for your digital music players

jason has attached this image (reduced version):
working-on-the-building.jpg

07-13-2009 17:23 jason is offline Send an Email to jason Search for Posts by jason Add jason to your Buddy List
Rod Rod is a male
Baby Elvis

images/avatars/avatar-236.jpg

Registration Date: 08-21-2005
Favorite 77s album: When #s Get Serious

So, I loaded the CD into Itunes and the genre is listed as unclassifiable.
Too funny. Seems appropiate, though.
07-14-2009 22:00 Rod is offline Send an Email to Rod Search for Posts by Rod Add Rod to your Buddy List
juan ahmal juan ahmal is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-551.jpg

Registration Date: 08-06-2008
Favorite 77s album: TTB

we all gonna listen to we all gonna face the rising sun Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Received this on Monday with bonus disc Big Grin Love the artwork, especially the cover. The standout songs for me are Dry Bones and Woke Up this Morning With My Mind. We Need More Rattlesnakes cracks me up every time. This isn't entirely an unplugged CD, plenty of electric slide guitar and bass and percussion on some tracks. Mike uses a different voice on every song, it's definitely not one of those CDs where every song sounds the same. There's even some monochordal blues sung acapella. It's painstakingly produced to sound old-fashioned and authentic, but still has a modern multilayered Mike Roe feel. I'll be listening to this non-stop for a long time. Big Grin

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by juan ahmal: 07-16-2009 08:18.

07-15-2009 11:00 juan ahmal is offline Send an Email to juan ahmal Search for Posts by juan ahmal Add juan ahmal to your Buddy List
Cynthia
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-483.jpg

Registration Date: 07-20-2005

RE: we all gonna listen to we all gonna face the rising sun Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by juan ahmal
Received this on Monday with bonus disc Big Grin Love the artwork, especially the cover. The standout songs for me are Dry Bones and Woke Up this Morning With My Mind. We Need More Rattlesnakes cracks me up every time. This isn't an unplugged CD, plenty of electric slide guitar and bass and percussion on some tracks. Mike uses a different voice on every song, it's definitely not one of those CDs where every song sounds the same. There's even some monochordal blues sung acapella. It's painstakingly produced to sound old-fashioned and authentic, but still has a modern multilayered Mike Roe feel. I'll be listening to this non-stop for a long time. Big Grin

I agree with all of that. I don't know which song it is, but when I hear the acappella one, I picture a bunch of Mike Roe's in overalls standing around singing together. Big Grin

07-15-2009 11:26 Cynthia is offline Search for Posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your Buddy List
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-546.jpg

Registration Date: 09-30-2004
Favorite 77s album: Tom Tom Blues

Soundtrack material Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

My early impression is that this would make a fine soundtrack to "O Brother, Where Art Thou This Time?"

07-15-2009 19:27 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
jason
Someone New

Registration Date: 06-03-2004

RE: Soundtrack material Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

It also reminded me of "O Brother." I like that soundtrack (and the movie). It won album of the year at the Grammys.
07-16-2009 05:44 jason is offline Send an Email to jason Search for Posts by jason Add jason to your Buddy List
Big Jim Big Jim is a male
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 08-22-2005
Favorite 77s album: Holy Ghost Building

RE: Soundtrack material Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Mike Roe (with the rest of the Lost Dogs) have been doing this roots thing the way they were doing it long before O Brother! So I guess you could say the Lost Dogs were at the forefront of tapping in to the zeitgeist that "O Brother" ushered in.

I'm still waiting on my copy of the new Roe CD! Frown I hope it gets here before the upcoming concert on Tuesday, 7/21. Either way, can't wait to hear it...

Oh by the way, the aforementioned concert is now "official" (we have the requisite 20 or more people), but it is not yet sold out! However, we still do need at least four more people to sign up for the master class in order for that to happen. Please consider purchasing tix for that too if you're in the NJ/NYC/PA area. Thanks!

Jim
07-16-2009 09:45 Big Jim is offline Send an Email to Big Jim Homepage of Big Jim Search for Posts by Big Jim Add Big Jim to your Buddy List
Unbalanced

quote:
Originally posted by jason
It also reminded me of "O Brother." I like that soundtrack (and the movie). It won album of the year at the Grammys.

I said that to myself while listening to the first seven tracks. Cool

07-16-2009 17:06 Ping Pong Over the Abyss is offline Send an Email to Ping Pong Over the Abyss Search for Posts by Ping Pong Over the Abyss Add Ping Pong Over the Abyss to your Buddy List
Unbalanced

RE: we all gonna listen to we all gonna face the rising sun Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Cynthia
quote:
Originally posted by juan ahmal
Received this on Monday with bonus disc Big Grin Love the artwork, especially the cover. The standout songs for me are Dry Bones and Woke Up this Morning With My Mind. We Need More Rattlesnakes cracks me up every time. This isn't an unplugged CD, plenty of electric slide guitar and bass and percussion on some tracks. Mike uses a different voice on every song, it's definitely not one of those CDs where every song sounds the same. There's even some monochordal blues sung acapella. It's painstakingly produced to sound old-fashioned and authentic, but still has a modern multilayered Mike Roe feel. I'll be listening to this non-stop for a long time. Big Grin

I agree with all of that. I don't know which song it is, but when I hear the acappella one, I picture a bunch of Mike Roe's in overalls standing around singing together. Big Grin

...with corncob pipes in their mouths, pickin n grinnin!!!!!!!!!!!! Big Grin

07-16-2009 17:07 Ping Pong Over the Abyss is offline Send an Email to Ping Pong Over the Abyss Search for Posts by Ping Pong Over the Abyss Add Ping Pong Over the Abyss to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » CD & DVD Reviews » Michael Roe - We All Gonna Face The Rising Sun

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH