77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » Concert Reviews & Photos » Mike Roe - FCC Kewanee, IL - 11/16/08 » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Mike Roe - FCC Kewanee, IL - 11/16/08
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
MarkyMark77 MarkyMark77 is a male
Drowning with Land in Sight

images/avatars/avatar-456.jpg

Registration Date: 03-24-2005
Favorite 77s album: 99

Mike Roe - FCC Kewanee, IL - 11/16/08 Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I can finally say I had Mike Roe at my church.

For years, my wife and I tried to figure out a way that we could bring Mike/the 7's/The Dogs in to one of the churches we've worked at. This time, everything lined up. We've actually turned quite a few people on to Mike's music in the past, so they were already on board.

This was a sweet deal because Mike played three tunes for our morning worship service as a preview. They were:

Come Down Here
Men Are So Busy
If It Be Your Will

People really dug it, and we've been promoting it quite a bit around town and in area towns, as well as an article about Mike in our local paper. We also hyped it up in our student ministry, playing tracks from Holy Ghost Building on our jukebox which plays during our students' hang out time. Since the show started right after our youth group ended, about 30 of our kids stayed. I was worried how they'd act (paying attention, not liking the mellow nature of his solo shows), but they were great, hooping and hollering for an encore. I was thrilled. There were about 100 in attendance.

I couldn't have asked for a better show from Mike. I've never seen a bad show from Mike, but the size and age range of the crowd really mixed well, and seemed to encourage the performance a bit. There are few performers who can appeal to high school students, senior citizens, and everyone in between, but Mike did just that last night.

Mike played his Taylor, Jeffrey K's Telecaster, and his own Strat. My wife sold CD's for Mike, and a bunch of people who had never heard of Mike before bought 'em. She really pushed HGB, and one of our college students who works with our youth got one free from Jeffrey. He was thrilled, and one of our students got Mike to sign his guitar.

SET LIST:
MT
Smokescreen
The Treasure In You
Jesus Is A Mighty Good Leader
Stranger, Won't You Change...
What Would You Give In Exchange...
I'll Remember You, Love...
You're Gonna Be Sorry
The Boat Ashore
The Lust, The Flesh...
Nowhere Else
Breathe Deep

Ba Ba Ba Ba
Blue Sky
If It Be Your Will

We had a photographer from our church take around 200 pictures (including pictures of Mike with me and my wife), and here is a sampling of those:

Mike said some funny stuff, too. He sang one chorus of "Ba Ba Ba Ba" replacing "heart" with "bosom", which made me and all the high school students chuckle. He said that only the 90 years olds knew the words to "The Lust...".

We had a few people come from out of town who saw the e-mail on the Lost Dogs list about Mike's tour. We also had about 10 local people who had heard of the 77's who were not from our church. Almost everyone I talked to was really impressed with Mike's guitar work. It was great to hear my two favorite Mike songs, "Come Down Here" and "Blue Sky". I can't rave enough about this show, but I will stop now.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by MarkyMark77: 11-17-2008 09:07.

11-17-2008 08:46 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
JR88 JR88 is a male

images/avatars/avatar-475.jpg

Registration Date: 05-28-2004
Favorite 77s album: 88

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Cool

11-17-2008 09:09 JR88 is offline Send an Email to JR88 Homepage of JR88 Search for Posts by JR88 Add JR88 to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of JR88: l
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-546.jpg

Registration Date: 09-30-2004
Favorite 77s album: Tom Tom Blues

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Cool

11-17-2008 16:10 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
Squidzit
Kite Without a String

images/avatars/avatar-490.gif

Location: IL, Home of Rod Blagojevich (I never voted for him!)

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Lucky. I like praise and worship and all, but it'd be nice to have this kind of music in our church too! Just started a new church and played in the band for the first time on Sunday. I'm going to start trying to introduce this awesome music to the band members here. It never went over well at my last church. Hope this one is better!

11-17-2008 20:27 Squidzit is offline Send an Email to Squidzit Homepage of Squidzit Search for Posts by Squidzit Add Squidzit to your Buddy List

Thread Starter Thread Started by MarkyMark77

Pea and JR are acting mighty suspicious. Either they were there (which I don't remember as I kind of know what they look like, but maybe I missed them) or they are hiding something else, like they both had Mike Roe masks and performed Mike's set for him. Big Grin

11-17-2008 20:27 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List

quote:
It never went over well at my last church. Hope this one is better!

I'm glad I'm finally at a church that would support me bringing him in, and who would show up and enjoy it.

11-17-2008 20:29 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
Squidzit
Kite Without a String

images/avatars/avatar-490.gif

Location: IL, Home of Rod Blagojevich (I never voted for him!)

Here's hoping I can do the same! Cool

If I had known about the concert I would have gone. I've been to Kewanee. Went to Good's furniture I think it was called. I lived in the Quad Cities for a few years in the early 90's. My wife still has family there. I live in Oswego now. Maybe next time! Happy

11-17-2008 20:31 Squidzit is offline Send an Email to Squidzit Homepage of Squidzit Search for Posts by Squidzit Add Squidzit to your Buddy List
JR88 JR88 is a male

quote:
Originally posted by MarkyMark77
Pea and JR are acting mighty suspicious. Either they were there (which I don't remember as I kind of know what they look like, but maybe I missed them) or they are hiding something else, like they both had Mike Roe masks and performed Mike's set for him. Big Grin

I had the Mike mask on...Pea had the Kevin Max mask on Tongue

seriously, wasn't there....wish I had been though. Frown

11-18-2008 05:57 JR88 is offline Send an Email to JR88 Homepage of JR88 Search for Posts by JR88 Add JR88 to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of JR88: l

quote:
I had the Mike mask on...Pea had the Kevin Max mask on

Big Grin

11-18-2008 07:10 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List

Mike's performance of "Smokescreen" from this show:

Smokescreen

11-18-2008 07:46 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
LuR KiNG
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-86.jpg

Registration Date: 09-17-2004

NiCe Smile
11-18-2008 07:58 LuR KiNG is offline Send an Email to LuR KiNG Search for Posts by LuR KiNG Add LuR KiNG to your Buddy List
JR88 JR88 is a male

quote:

Smokescreen

more please Pleased

11-18-2008 08:19 JR88 is offline Send an Email to JR88 Homepage of JR88 Search for Posts by JR88 Add JR88 to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of JR88: l
ciniree
Baby Elvis

images/avatars/avatar-518.jpg

Registration Date: 08-03-2008
Favorite 77s album: HGB

quote:

Smokescreen

I love that song. I'm glad to have a copy to listen to now. Happy
11-18-2008 09:35 ciniree is offline Send an Email to ciniree Search for Posts by ciniree Add ciniree to your Buddy List
ciniree
Baby Elvis

images/avatars/avatar-518.jpg

Registration Date: 08-03-2008
Favorite 77s album: HGB

quote:
Originally posted by Squidzit
Here's hoping I can do the same! Cool

If I had known about the concert I would have gone. I've been to Kewanee. Went to Good's furniture I think it was called. I lived in the Quad Cities for a few years in the early 90's. My wife still has family there. I live in Oswego now. Maybe next time! Happy

You should have come to the E. Troy, WI show. It was a GREAT show and as always sooooo beautiful. I really can't imagine one of his shows not being perfect and beautiful. Set list was basically the same as the ones listed, plus and minus a few. Even though the show was around 1 1/2 hours it always seems too short. Didn't really get to talk with Mike much at all though. I try to not hang around him too much as to not be a nuisance or annoying, and my shy nature always kicks in too.
11-18-2008 10:52 ciniree is offline Send an Email to ciniree Search for Posts by ciniree Add ciniree to your Buddy List

Yeah. I felt bad because although I'd spent a lot of the day with him, after the show we started talking about Elvis, and it kind of monopolized his time. But, we're both Elvis fans, so it was bound to happen.

Hopefully I'll be able to post a couple more. Editing takes so long, but it's worth it in the end!

11-18-2008 14:18 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-546.jpg

Registration Date: 09-30-2004
Favorite 77s album: Tom Tom Blues

quote:
quote:
I had the Mike mask on...Pea had the Kevin Max mask on

Big Grin

Cool

11-18-2008 19:50 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List

Here's another one. The audio syncing isn't as great in the beginning, but it gets better.

MT

11-18-2008 19:56 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » Concert Reviews & Photos » Mike Roe - FCC Kewanee, IL - 11/16/08

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH