77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » CD & DVD Reviews » The 77s - Holy Ghost Building » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (9): « first ... « previous 2 3 [4] 5 6 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page The 77s - Holy Ghost Building 4 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
LuR KiNG
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-86.jpg

Registration Date: 09-17-2004

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Pharmjimmy
My 75 y/o Father was able to make it to the John the Baptist tour. It was so funny b/c he hated my music when I was growing up "Doing it For Love".

Dad was very impressed with Mike and loved all the songs. He unfortunatelly wasn't able to make the Holy Ghost Building Concert here in Rock Island because he passed away three weeks prior to show.

He was truly blessed by the music. What a great memory to have.

Cool Thanks for sharing, & sorry to hear about your Dad.
I assume you were at this?
did you make it to Cornerstone?
07-16-2008 08:56 LuR KiNG is offline Send an Email to LuR KiNG Search for Posts by LuR KiNG Add LuR KiNG to your Buddy List
Pharmjimmy Pharmjimmy is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-486.gif

Registration Date: 05-10-2008
Favorite 77s album: 88

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Thanks. Very hard to see Dad pass away. Not sure anyone ever gets over it, but he had been very sick for about 6 months with cancer.

I actually promoted both shows here in Rock Island. It was a fun time had by all...especially me!

to•ma•to ef•fect\n, 1: a term coined in medicine meaning the rejection of effective medical treatments because they conflict with currently accepted medical theories; 2: the tomato was not eaten in the U.S. until 1820... thought to be poisonous.
07-16-2008 09:18 Pharmjimmy is offline Send an Email to Pharmjimmy Homepage of Pharmjimmy Search for Posts by Pharmjimmy Add Pharmjimmy to your Buddy List
Chesterdox Chesterdox is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-198.jpg

Registration Date: 06-05-2006
Favorite 77s album: Holy Ghost Building

RE: great pic Chesterdetox! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Love

The Doctor gave me a new name. Sweeeet!!

Pleased Big Grin It's like when Jacob became Israel. Cool

07-16-2008 11:14 Chesterdox is offline Send an Email to Chesterdox Homepage of Chesterdox Search for Posts by Chesterdox Add Chesterdox to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Chesterdox: none YIM Account Name of Chesterdox: none View the MSN Profile for Chesterdox
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-546.jpg

Registration Date: 09-30-2004
Favorite 77s album: Tom Tom Blues

RE: great pic Chesterdetox! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Chesterdox
quote:

Don't read too much into it, Chez. He doesn't seem to stay on one name. He's called me a bunch of different ones...usually variations of Pea...Whizz...Tinkle.....you get the picture. Tongue

07-16-2008 16:25 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
Gur Gur is a male
Mezzo

Registration Date: 01-14-2008
Location: And into this chasm God would let a million Jacob Bayers float down like sparkling dust on a dry wind.

quote:
quote:

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Did he grab your thigh when he did it?
07-16-2008 20:33 Gur is offline Send an Email to Gur Search for Posts by Gur Add Gur to your Buddy List
Someone New

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

a little reach around.

he was misbehavin'

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Chesterdox: 07-17-2008 09:15.

07-17-2008 09:07 Chesterdox is offline Send an Email to Chesterdox Homepage of Chesterdox Search for Posts by Chesterdox Add Chesterdox to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Chesterdox: none YIM Account Name of Chesterdox: none View the MSN Profile for Chesterdox
Gur Gur is a male
Mezzo

Location: And into this chasm God would let a million Jacob Bayers float down like sparkling dust on a dry wind.

Tongue! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Isn't he always misbehavin in one way or another?
07-17-2008 11:43 Gur is offline Send an Email to Gur Search for Posts by Gur Add Gur to your Buddy List
MtnWalt MtnWalt is a male
Someone New

Registration Date: 11-08-2007
Favorite 77s album: Pray Naked, 77s

Great CD Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I was at the Atlanta (actually Marietta, GA) show. Loved the show and got the CD. I believe this is one of the best CDs I have listened to in several years. My 4 favorites are:

I'm Working on a Building- fun song with a great message.

I'll Remember You, Love, In My Prayers- great rock sound, love the blend of voice, music, and great guitar work throughout.

What Would You Give In Exchange for Your Soul-- again, great message mixed with fantastic musical arrangement.

I'm Gonna Run to the City of Refuge- gritty guitar, catchy lyrics.

3 great quotes from the Marietta concert:

"The last time we were here we played at the Strand... that broken down old hole..." -Mike

"It is nice to have a chick here. The last 10 years we have been playing for mostly old bald guys." Mike

I cant remember what song this was, but... "We found a version we like, and the words almost make sense..." Mike again

07-25-2008 22:23 MtnWalt is offline Send an Email to MtnWalt Search for Posts by MtnWalt Add MtnWalt to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of MtnWalt: gwmurray View the MSN Profile for MtnWalt
Nekkid Prey Nekkid Prey is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-213.jpg

Registration Date: 06-06-2004
Favorite 77s album: Sticks and Stones

What's Next for the Sevens? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
I know this is way premature, but I sure hope there's a sequel to HGB. I'm sure there's enough material to do it again.

Oh, there's enough material out there, that's for sure, but nothing recorded, except a faster version of the Alison Krauss/Union Station tune, which oddly enough doesn't have the same Stones feel the released version has. And the vocal-less "A Lifetime Without You," I hope, get's released as a bonus track somewhere down the line. It's gorgeous and possesses just as much regret and sadness as the released version has. Nevertheless, we don't want lightning to strike in the same place twice, which is why I'm gonna push the boys to do an all-original album next. But there are some other side projects in the works that need finishing up, and we still have yet to start recording Mike's solo album. I need to start cracking the whip ... Ahem! Mike? Mike Roe?!?! :::whoop-ah!::: <--(in my best Chandler Bing voice)

quote:
I wondered how good the concept was before the album was finished & released

After spinning the released version of HGB non-stop for the last month, I went back to listen to the basic tracks laid down 2 years ago. I'll be danged if the rough session tracks (including Mike's guide vocals) aren't good enough to be released as a bonus disk down the road (Working on a Holy Ghost Building?), but the good Doctor isn't into that idea. In fact, when I mentioned that I had gone back to listen to the basic tracks and had an idea, it was squashed before I could even vocalize it. Then again, if the fans cry loud enough, maybe ... Tongue

07-27-2008 23:29 Nekkid Prey is offline Send an Email to Nekkid Prey Homepage of Nekkid Prey Search for Posts by Nekkid Prey Add Nekkid Prey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Nekkid Prey: Nekkid Prey YIM Account Name of Nekkid Prey: mike_beidler
LuR KiNG
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-86.jpg

Registration Date: 09-17-2004

RE: What's Next for the Sevens? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Nekkid Prey
...if the fans cry loud enough, maybe ... Tongue

Crying Crying Crying Crying is this loud enough
07-28-2008 13:44 LuR KiNG is offline Send an Email to LuR KiNG Search for Posts by LuR KiNG Add LuR KiNG to your Buddy List
Gur Gur is a male
Mezzo

Big Grin
07-28-2008 15:48 Gur is offline Send an Email to Gur Search for Posts by Gur Add Gur to your Buddy List
pmac pmac is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-251.jpg

Registration Date: 07-25-2006
Favorite 77s album: Drowning With Land in Sight

Didn't see these posted elsewhere around here (sorry if they are), found a couple reviews of HGB:

Christianity Today

Tollbooth

Very positive reviews (despite sharing a common criticism - the last song...)
07-28-2008 21:13 pmac is offline Send an Email to pmac Search for Posts by pmac Add pmac to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of pmac: pmcnamara@mac.com View the MSN Profile for pmac
larryl larryl is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-446.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2004

"The result is an album of covers that resonate with hope, sadness, confession, and redemption, performed with a rawness that approaches the Seventy Sevens' live sound (naturally, since it was recorded on the fly in just three days)"

my favorite line from the CT review....

longest three days i ever heard of Big Grin

07-29-2008 06:15 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Homepage of larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of larryl: nashvillelarryl YIM Account Name of larryl: larryl922
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

3 days on anyone's fly would be ... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

You can say that again larryl ... it felt like a coupla years to me ~~

Doctor Love has attached this image:
Banko de Farto.jpg

07-29-2008 10:02 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
Cynthia
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-483.jpg

Registration Date: 07-20-2005

Pretty sure it felt like a couple of years to the rest of us too. Tongue

07-29-2008 10:36 Cynthia is offline Search for Posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your Buddy List
Nailtatt Nailtatt is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-212.jpg

Registration Date: 05-28-2004

Well, it was worth the "3 day" wait!

07-29-2008 11:48 Nailtatt is offline Send an Email to Nailtatt Search for Posts by Nailtatt Add Nailtatt to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Nailtatt
Cynthia
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-483.jpg

Registration Date: 07-20-2005

Yes it was. It's great.

07-29-2008 11:51 Cynthia is offline Search for Posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your Buddy List
Someone New

"The only possible misstep here is the inclusion of “A Lifetime Without You,”.... The song is out of step with the rest of the album and is in the unfortunate spot of following what should have been the project’s final song: the amazing “I’m Gonna’ Run to the City of Refuge,” which is a track that would make Jagger himself shake his head in awe." ~ Tollbooth

Call me crazy but I agree... unless they ended the album with a stripped-down rockabilly version of Jack Spoiler. Cool

And I'll gladly wait another "3 days" for something this good again.

07-29-2008 12:29 Chesterdox is offline Send an Email to Chesterdox Homepage of Chesterdox Search for Posts by Chesterdox Add Chesterdox to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Chesterdox: none YIM Account Name of Chesterdox: none View the MSN Profile for Chesterdox
Nailtatt Nailtatt is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-212.jpg

Registration Date: 05-28-2004

quote:
"The only possible misstep here is the inclusion of “A Lifetime Without You,”.... The song is out of step with the rest of the album and is in the unfortunate spot of following what should have been the project’s final song: the amazing “I’m Gonna’ Run to the City of Refuge,” which is a track that would make Jagger himself shake his head in awe." ~ Tollbooth

Call me crazy but I agree... unless they ended the album with a stripped-down rockabilly version of Jack Spoiler. Cool

And I'll gladly wait another "3 days" for something this good again.

I agree also. While I love the song it does seem "out of place" on this record to me.

07-29-2008 13:35 Nailtatt is offline Send an Email to Nailtatt Search for Posts by Nailtatt Add Nailtatt to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Nailtatt
Gur Gur is a male
Mezzo

Musically, I would agree, but I think conceptually the song is very important for this album ,if I have understood Mike's lyrics over the years. The rest of the lyrics are all about the basics of our faith: our abject fallenness and need for God's unmerited grace, the importance of prayer, etc. Mike seems to connect with his fallenness most intimately (as most of us do or would do if we had eyes to see) in the area of challenging or failed relationships. I see thie final song as Mike saying, " I am right there with those old bluesmen and gospel singers of old who desperately need God, and this is where I most desperately need him." This is a greeeeeeeeeeeeeeat album, and I don't think the final song is out of place.
07-29-2008 17:09 Gur is offline Send an Email to Gur Search for Posts by Gur Add Gur to your Buddy List
Pages (9): « first ... « previous 2 3 [4] 5 6 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » CD & DVD Reviews » The 77s - Holy Ghost Building

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH