77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » 77s in New York Times » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page 77s in New York Times 2 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Mark Mark is a male
Unbalanced

images/avatars/avatar-373.jpg

Registration Date: 05-30-2004
Favorite 77s album: Island Album

Thumb Up! 77s in New York Times Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

New York Times

Living With Music:
A Playlist by Daniel Radosh
By Dwight Garner

Daniel Radosh (Dave Anderson)On Wednesdays, this blog is the delivery vehicle for “Living With Music,” a playlist of songs from a writer or some other kind of book-world personage.
This week: Daniel Radosh, author of “Rapture Ready: Adventures in the Parallel Universe of Christian Pop Culture.”
Daniel Radosh’s April 2008 Playlist:
This is a list of 10 great Christian rock songs. Really. I know what you’re thinking. I’m a secular Jew who always took it for granted that Christian rock stinks. Indeed, until a couple of years ago I knew virtually nothing about Christian rock except that it stinks. But after spending time inside the “evangelical bubble” I had to admit I was mistaken. It turns out there’s Christian music that never gets played on those radio stations you accidentally stumble across on road trips — and that doesn’t reduce all expressions of faith to crass evangelism, anodyne praise, or crypto-romance.
Skeptics can listen to the songs for themselves here.

1) Why Don’t You Look Into Jesus?, Larry Norman. Norman, who died in February, was often called the father of Christian rock, an accolade he understandably spent his life fleeing from. Norman’s gritty “Jesus music” of the late 60s and early 70s bears little resemblance to homogenized ballads that the contemporary Christian music industry would later become known for. In this bluesy stomp, reminiscent of the Band at their best, he uses a series of rhymed couplets to sketch an indelible portrait of an archetypal hippie whose search for bliss isn’t quite panning out. The song’s wicked humor and uncompromising darkness are encapsulated in what is possibly the most awesome lyric ever in Christian rock: “Gonorrhea on Valentine’s Day, and you’re still looking for the perfect lay.”

2) Kiss Me, Sixpence None The Richer. O.K., maybe this isn’t a great song, but it’s a pretty good one, and most people actually know it so it will help me explain what Christian rock is and isn’t. This jangly pop tune, lifted somewhat above its station by singer Leigh Nash’s lovely voice, was an inescapable mainstream hit in 1999. The lyrics are unabashedly romantic: “Strike up the band and make the fireflies dance, silver moon sparkling, so kiss me.” And if you’re looking for a covert message about Jesus in them, there isn’t one. “We don’t experience faith as a compartmentalized, religious aspect of life,” Nash has said. “I don’t feel like I’m more of a Christian when I’m saying my prayers than when I’m kissing my husband.” While it should be generally possible to discern a Christian worldview permeating an artist’s oeuvre, their Christianity would arguably be less authentic if they limited their focus to explicit pronouncements of faith. As T-Bone Burnett (who almost made this list) put it, “If Jesus is the light of the world, there are two kinds of songs you can write. You can write songs about the light, or you can write songs about what you can see from the light.”

3) Born, Over the Rhine. Karin Bergquist may be the finest singer in the alt-country / Americana scene right now, striking the perfect balance between earthy sensuality and ethereal grace. This heartbreakingly intimate song from the band’s 2005 album “Drunkard’s Prayer” offers as fine an expression as you could hope for of how a Christian is called to live, without stooping to any false promises of rainbows and rose gardens: “I was born to laugh, I learned to laugh through my tears. I was born to love, I’m gonna learn to love without fear.”

4) Every Grain of Sand, Bob Dylan. One reason most Christian rock really does stink is that much of the genre is saddled by a belief that Christian musicians are simply ministers who happen to use music as a tool, and who must employ only unambiguous, propositional lyrics so that listeners can’t possibly be led astray. Even Dylan fell into that trap in his first two “born again” albums. There are some fine songs on “Slow Train Coming” and “Saved” — he was still Bob Dylan, after all — but he seemed to have suddenly become afraid of poetry. Only on the last album of the trilogy that marked his “Christian” career did Dylan loosen his grip on the reins and produce this complex testament of faith that stands with the best of his work. Of course, Dylan’s catalog — before and since his born again period — is replete with songs that reflect at least a fascination with Christian theology. If you count these, there is probably no greater Christian rock song — and few greater rock songs, period — than “Shelter From the Storm,” which uses explicit Gospel imagery to paint a harrowing portrait of sinful man separated from God and in search of redemption.

5) The Lust, The Flesh, The Eyes and The Pride of Life, the 77s. Given the relentlessly upbeat tone of Christian radio — “Positive music! Safe for your family!” as the announcers like to say — you might forget that the Bible does not guarantee a carefree life for believers. The best Christian rock wrestles with those things that “drain the life right out of me,” in the words of this 1987 meditation on 1 John 2:16. You don’t have to be a Christian to recognize that we all spend too much time chasing after possessions and fleeting joys that we don’t really need. This Springsteen-esque rocker offers no pat answers, it just raises some important questions.

6) Rapture, Pedro the Lion. Before he finally (or so he says) abandoned the Christian music scene sometime around 2006, Pedro the Lion’s David Bazan delighted in shaking the faith of his churchgoing audiences. Bazan apparently believed that faith without doubt breeds a dangerous righteousness. So it must have been a calculated thumb in the eye to write a chorus like, “Oh, my sweet rapture, I hear Jesus calling me home” for a song about a torrid extramarital affair. “Gideon is in the drawer, clothes scattered on the floor.” Rapture is not celebratory (few of Bazan’s emo-tinged songs are), but it’s honest enough to admit that some things that are wrong can feel pretty right.

7) Nice and Blue (Part 2), mewithoutYou. This sonically adventurous indie rock ensemble has fiercely devoted following that often seems to revere singer-songwriter Aaron Weiss as a modern-day prophet. In this 2006 song, Weiss brings the full power of his pleading speech-singing — think early Neil Young — to a visionary epic of self-recrimination for his persistent failure to accept God’s grace. Weiss is “caught like a bear by the bees with its hand in the hive, who complains of the pain of the sting when I’m lucky I got out alive.” Like Mike Roe of the 77s, he is doomed (at least, withoutYou) to pursue useless pleasures “strapped like a watch on my wrist that’s finished with gold but can’t tell the time.”

Cool My Apology, Jonathan Rundman. Despite its literally confessional lyrics, this is a bright, catchy indie-pop song. Rundman, who recorded this for a 2001 double album called “Sound Theology,” is one of the few mainline Christians (he’s Lutheran) writing recognizably Christian rock. Like most people, Rundman has trouble confessing his sins, at one point attempting to justify his cynicism of the church by pointing out to God that “I’m surrounded by bigots and fools who say your love is a heavenly paycheck and faith is all about rules.” But then, like a good, anguished Lutheran (and indie rocker) he acknowledges that he’s “guilty of going the opposite way” as he “sit[s] here cheapening grace.”

9) You Know That (Is Nothing New), Vigilantes of Love. A deliciously infectious power pop song that would fit comfortably in a mix with Marshall Crenshaw, Nick Lowe, Elvis Costello and even the Kinks. This song would have dominated mainstream rock radio in 2001 if it hadn’t been on a Christian label. Not that there’s any message in the lyrics a secularist could object to. It’s a love song — or perhaps a love of life song — that never gets more preachy than, “It’s the opening of hearts that is the closing of the deepest wounds.”

10) Come On, Andy Hunter. Christian techno music is one of the hardest genres for non-Christians to get their heads around. If there are no lyrics, what makes it Christian? I’ve dodged the issue here by choosing a track that does have one shouted line: “Let your kingdom come.” Hunter, a British DJ, is equally at home spinning at worship services and in secular clubs. The deliriously propulsive “Come On” pops up regularly in video games and movie trailers (most recently for “Speed Racer”). Given how irresistibly energizing it is, that shouldn’t be a surprise, but somehow it is. Maybe minimal lyrics is what it takes for Christian music to get a fair hearing in the wider world.

04-17-2008 10:24 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-446.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2004

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

NICE!!!

thanks mark!

04-17-2008 10:43 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Homepage of larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of larryl: nashvillelarryl YIM Account Name of larryl: larryl922
JR88 JR88 is a male

images/avatars/avatar-475.jpg

Registration Date: 05-28-2004
Favorite 77s album: 88

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

very cool mark.

thanks

also check out the video the author has showing a debate about "Christian rock"

debate

04-17-2008 11:39 JR88 is offline Send an Email to JR88 Homepage of JR88 Search for Posts by JR88 Add JR88 to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of JR88: l
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

images/avatars/avatar-381.gif

Registration Date: 11-17-2004
Favorite 77s album: The one's Mike plays guitar on

Uh, the author must not be a Byrds fan. Springsteen-esque, puh-lease!!!

I hate the fact that I missed the tune last night, even though I think I must have 15 different versions in my collection.

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies
and i don't understand it"

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
04-17-2008 12:53 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
Nailtatt Nailtatt is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-212.jpg

Favorite 77s album: Sticks and Stones

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

You've hit the big-time finally Doc LOVE!!!!!!!!!!

Tongue

04-17-2008 12:55 Nailtatt is offline Send an Email to Nailtatt Search for Posts by Nailtatt Add Nailtatt to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Nailtatt
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Favorite 77s album: Drowning with Land in Sight

quote:
Originally posted by 77 bc

I hate the fact that I missed the tune last night, even though I think I must have 15 different versions in my collection.

Considering all of the correlations that I could draw, Springsteen would never be one of my choices.

04-17-2008 18:45 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
dennis
Happy Roy

images/avatars/avatar-487.jpg

Registration Date: 10-03-2004
Favorite 77s album: "88"

Jonathan Rundman is from St Paul, MN.
Very good. I have “Sound Theology.”
04-17-2008 18:48 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

images/avatars/avatar-381.gif

Registration Date: 11-17-2004
Favorite 77s album: The one's Mike plays guitar on

quote:
Originally posted by Marti
quote:

Considering all of the correlations that I could draw, Springsteen would never be one of my choices.

Most blatant CCM Springsteen-esque thing I have ever heard was Randy Stonehill's "Wild Frontier" title track and even the album art, seemed to be Springsteen inspired.

For me, Springsteen is hit and miss. Some stuff I love, some I don't care for. Fav' Springsteen album..... Nebraska, although it's quite a dark spirited album. Very depressing type songs.

Probably my favorite Springsteen tune, "The River."

All that to be said, and to come back around to the topic at hand....Stones, sometimes, Byrds, sometimes, Arty Garfunkel, sometimes, but I can't put a finger on a "Springsteen-esque" tune, especially "The Lust..."

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies
and i don't understand it"

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
04-18-2008 06:45 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
JR88 JR88 is a male

images/avatars/avatar-475.jpg

Favorite 77s album: 88

Red Face I dislike Springsteen......

I prefer John Mellencamp, much better vocals. Cool

04-18-2008 07:21 JR88 is offline Send an Email to JR88 Homepage of JR88 Search for Posts by JR88 Add JR88 to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of JR88: l
MarkyMark77 MarkyMark77 is a male
Drowning with Land in Sight

images/avatars/avatar-456.jpg

Registration Date: 03-24-2005
Favorite 77s album: 99

quote:
Fav' Springsteen album..... Nebraska, although it's quite a dark spirited album.

Same here.

04-18-2008 07:41 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
77sfan 77sfan is a male

images/avatars/avatar-231.jpg

Registration Date: 06-08-2007
Favorite 77s album: The Island Album

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Marti
quote:

Most blatant CCM Springsteen-esque thing I have ever heard was Randy Stonehill's "Wild Frontier" title track and even the album art, seemed to be Springsteen inspired.

For me, Springsteen is hit and miss. Some stuff I love, some I don't care for. Fav' Springsteen album..... Nebraska, although it's quite a dark spirited album. Very depressing type songs.

Probably my favorite Springsteen tune, "The River."

All that to be said, and to come back around to the topic at hand....Stones, sometimes, Byrds, sometimes, Arty Garfunkel, sometimes, but I can't put a finger on a "Springsteen-esque" tune, especially "The Lust..."

It's great for the 77s to get the mention in the NY Times, but springsteen-esque? Not even close!

~Saint Augustine~
04-18-2008 07:48 77sfan is offline Search for Posts by 77sfan Add 77sfan to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of 77sfan: gj100xtra
TJ 2.0
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-413.gif

Registration Date: 09-13-2004
Favorite 77s album: Island/Sticks and Stones/88

good to see a mwY mention in there as well.

Aaron Weiss is about as lyrically poetic as they come.
04-18-2008 08:57 TJ 2.0 is offline Send an Email to TJ 2.0 Homepage of TJ 2.0 Search for Posts by TJ 2.0 Add TJ 2.0 to your Buddy List
Squidzit
Kite Without a String

images/avatars/avatar-490.gif

Location: IL, Home of Rod Blagojevich (I never voted for him!)

Phew! When I saw the title of this thread I thought maybe the guys had tried to hold up a bank or something in NY!! Shocked Tongue

Cool article! Cool

I agree about the Springsteen comparison.

04-18-2008 09:09 Squidzit is offline Send an Email to Squidzit Homepage of Squidzit Search for Posts by Squidzit Add Squidzit to your Buddy List
Alex Alex is a male
Mr. Magoo

images/avatars/avatar-115.jpg

Registration Date: 05-01-2005
Favorite 77s album: Eighty Eight

The guitar riff of "Do it for Dr. Love" from the Island album could be described as Springsteen- like.

Alex

04-19-2008 12:53 Alex is offline Send an Email to Alex Homepage of Alex Search for Posts by Alex Add Alex to your Buddy List
Cynthia
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-483.jpg

Registration Date: 07-20-2005

What song off of the Island Album has a "Do It For Love" riff?

04-19-2008 14:22 Cynthia is offline Search for Posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your Buddy List
Kit Kit is a male
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-587.jpg

Registration Date: 06-02-2004

"Kiss Me" is rock?

Poor Sixpence, try as they may, that song is going to follow them wherever they go. But hey, at least Matt got to retire off of it.

04-19-2008 18:37 Kit is offline Send an Email to Kit Homepage of Kit Search for Posts by Kit Add Kit to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kit: Nakedprey77
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-546.jpg

Registration Date: 09-30-2004
Favorite 77s album: Tom Tom Blues

quote:
Originally posted by Kit
"Kiss Me" is rock?

Poor Sixpence, try as they may, that song is going to follow them wherever they go. But hey, at least Matt got to retire off of it.

An Astronaut Pusher shall never retire.

04-19-2008 19:07 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-446.jpg

because os "kiss me", he can afford to do these other little things.

04-20-2008 04:23 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Homepage of larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of larryl: nashvillelarryl YIM Account Name of larryl: larryl922
Ping Pong Over the Abyss Ping Pong Over the Abyss is a male
Unbalanced

images/avatars/avatar-202.gif

Registration Date: 02-21-2006
Favorite 77s album: Too Many...!

That list rules all--the 77s, Andy Hunter, and Larry Norman. Musical heaven, for the win!!!!!!!!!!!! Cool

04-21-2008 02:05 Ping Pong Over the Abyss is offline Send an Email to Ping Pong Over the Abyss Search for Posts by Ping Pong Over the Abyss Add Ping Pong Over the Abyss to your Buddy List
Kit Kit is a male
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-587.jpg

Registration Date: 06-02-2004

RE: 77s in New York Times Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Mark

9) You Know That (Is Nothing New), Vigilantes of Love. .....This song would have dominated mainstream rock radio in 2001 if it hadn’t been on a Christian label.....

It WASN'T on a Christian label. Or at least, I didn't think Compass Entertainment was a Christian-based label.

Also, given the climate of radio back in 2001, I don't think this could have been a hit.

04-23-2008 16:49 Kit is offline Send an Email to Kit Homepage of Kit Search for Posts by Kit Add Kit to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kit: Nakedprey77
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » 77s in New York Times

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH