77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » CD & DVD Reviews » "God Sends Quails" and "Jig is Up" reviews by non77s fans » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page "God Sends Quails" and "Jig is Up" reviews by non77s fans
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Kit Kit is a male
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-587.jpg

Registration Date: 06-02-2004

"God Sends Quails" and "Jig is Up" reviews by non77s fans Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

These reviews come from a mix I did late last year for another board I post on. Everybody had some stupid theme going where you had to pick songs that were big for you at one point. And to make it more interesting, I only picked songs that came from records I bought at Christian bookstores (except for 2 songs)...and I revealed that info, which in retrospect was a mistake. But, I knew they would all go on allmusic and figure it out for themselves. I tried to make it clear that it shouldn't be viewed as a "Christian rock mix" per se, but that was a tough sell. Smile Anyways, I only had 4 people review my mix. Here's what they said about both 77s tracks. It should be noted that The 77s got better reviews overall than most of the bands on the comp. Some were downright skewered (Violet Burning, Lost Dogs, Adam Again).

Reviewer #1:

The 77s - God Sends Quails – The intro solo runs on a bit long, but the remainder of the track is well worth the wait. Sprawling in a very good way. 4/5

The 77s - The Jig is Up – Smiths-y in both sound and lyric. I’m quite impressed with both 77s tracks you’ve included here. 4.5/5

Reviewer #2:

The 77s - God Sends Quails – This was kind of a strange song, because of the long jammy intro. I was immediately reminded of the Allman Brothers Band, which is fine with me. The vocals were quite obviously not Gregg, though and it initially didn't jive well with the music but then the chorus kind of hooked me in. So yeah, a strange song all together and I didn't even mind that it pushed over 6 min. And remarkable for one other reason. How many first and last times does one get in life? Probably a lot, but when you're in a moment, you never really appreciate it, do you? I realize that while listening to this song it is the first and probably last song I'll ever hear about God and quails. That alone makes it quite special. And to quote the songs' theme "you can't go back". 3.5/5

The 77s - The Jig is Up – This reminded me of Morrissey right off the bat, but lacked Moz's hilarious pathos. Kind of bland song, and a bit of a letdown after the last couple which I was really enjoying. It's not terrible, but not all that it could be. Morrissey sung about loneliness incessantly, but he made it work. This didn't. 2/5

Reviewer #3:

The 77s - God Sends Quails – long intro. Very long. Sounds a little proggy or something. Not really the type of thing I'm into, but others might like this...I guess. Exhausting. 2/5.

The 77s - The Jig is Up – I like this one better than the last 77s song. Its got a nice flow and a nice chorus. 3/5.

Reviewer #4:

God Sends Quails – The 77s
“you can’t go back”… no, you certainly can’t. The song itself is ok. 2/5

The Jig is Up – the 77s
This is actually quite nice. 3/5

This post has been edited 5 time(s), it was last edited by Kit: 09-22-2007 21:27.

09-22-2007 21:21 Kit is offline Send an Email to Kit Homepage of Kit Search for Posts by Kit Add Kit to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kit: Nakedprey77
snowblind snowblind is a male
Unbalanced

images/avatars/avatar-404.gif

Registration Date: 03-28-2006
Favorite 77s album: Sticks and Stones

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

It's really hard to get people to latch onto the 77s or any other group for that matter based on one or two songs. Those folks had some interesting insights, but they'll probably never really understand the songs because a) they are out of context of the album, b) they are out of context with the growth of the band and c) they are out of context with how they are important to my life.

09-23-2007 10:51 snowblind is offline Send an Email to snowblind Homepage of snowblind Search for Posts by snowblind Add snowblind to your Buddy List
Kit Kit is a male
Flower in the Sand

Thread Starter Thread Started by Kit
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by snowblind
It's really hard to get people to latch onto the 77s or any other group for that matter based on one or two songs. Those folks had some interesting insights, but they'll probably never really understand the songs because a) they are out of context of the album, b) they are out of context with the growth of the band and c) they are out of context with how they are important to my life.

I completely agree. I disagreed with a lot of the negative criticisms and sometimes even the positive ones. For example, when that guy compared Roe to "the Moz", I was annoyed because I know what's behind that song. It stems from divorce (as far as I can tell), which is something Morrissey knows jack-shit about. So, I don't think Roe was going for "hilarious pathos".

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Kit: 09-23-2007 12:47.

09-23-2007 12:46 Kit is offline Send an Email to Kit Homepage of Kit Search for Posts by Kit Add Kit to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kit: Nakedprey77
Ping Pong Over the Abyss Ping Pong Over the Abyss is a male
Unbalanced

images/avatars/avatar-202.gif

Registration Date: 02-21-2006
Favorite 77s album: Too Many...!

Man, GSQ rocks. Jamming out with it right now. Thanks for the motivation, good people. Cool

09-23-2007 13:39 Ping Pong Over the Abyss is offline Send an Email to Ping Pong Over the Abyss Search for Posts by Ping Pong Over the Abyss Add Ping Pong Over the Abyss to your Buddy List
nick nick is a male
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 12-02-2004

I'd be interested in hearing/reading the other reviews also...any chance? I am always interested in knowing others "insights" on bands I have invested in and the "outsiders" point of view....
09-24-2007 06:53 nick is offline Send an Email to nick Search for Posts by nick Add nick to your Buddy List
Kit Kit is a male
Flower in the Sand

Thread Starter Thread Started by Kit

quote:
Originally posted by nick
I'd be interested in hearing/reading the other reviews also...any chance? I am always interested in knowing others "insights" on bands I have invested in and the "outsiders" point of view....

It's all right here by the way...

CCM-Mix reviews

09-27-2007 19:12 Kit is offline Send an Email to Kit Homepage of Kit Search for Posts by Kit Add Kit to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kit: Nakedprey77
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » CD & DVD Reviews » "God Sends Quails" and "Jig is Up" reviews by non77s fans

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH