77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » CD & DVD Reviews » Lost Dogs - The Lost Cabin And The Mystery Trees » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Lost Dogs - The Lost Cabin And The Mystery Trees 7 Votes - Average Rating: 7.437 Votes - Average Rating: 7.43
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
rob 3.0 rob 3.0 is a male
Radioactive Crow

images/avatars/avatar-180.gif

Registration Date: 05-28-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning With Land in Sight

Lost Dogs - The Lost Cabin and The Mystery Trees Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I used to always say that Little Red Riding Hood was my favorite Lost Dogs cd. That may no longer be true. The Lost Cabin and The Mystery Trees is a fantastic addition to the Dogs already impressive catalog. I am seriously lovin this cd. Its been a long time since a cd has had me pouring over the liner notes and the lyrics like this one has. The writing is fantastic. The music is diverse and fun, it really reminds me of the LRRH, GRS Part 1 days.

I can't stop listening to Whispering Memories. It was written by Hindalong/Daugherty and its the most beautiful and sad song I've heard in some time. It almost brings me to tears listening to it. The title track is great and Get Me Ready is an awesome rockin tune. Although its even better live with the good Doctor Love really tearing it up.

One of the best lines comes from Burn it up.
"Plug in, turn on, burn it up. Give the people what they are yearning for Doctor Love" Heck yeah. Cool

Don't wait, buy this cd now!

Was I ever on the inside?
07-09-2006 02:23 rob 3.0 is offline Send an Email to rob 3.0 Homepage of rob 3.0 Search for Posts by rob 3.0 Add rob 3.0 to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of rob 3.0: digitalrob3 YIM Account Name of rob 3.0: flashfan77 View the MSN Profile for rob 3.0
Mark Mark is a male
Unbalanced

images/avatars/avatar-373.jpg

Registration Date: 05-30-2004
Favorite 77s album: Island Album

Thumb Up! Lost Dogs - The Lost Cabin And The Mystery Trees Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Mark
I've only listened a couple of times so far, but wow!!!!!!

This really may be one of their best ones, if not the best. They weren't kidding when they said that it would be good. Usually you have to take it with a grain of salt when someone or an artist says "This is are best album yet" or "It's a return to their best stuff".

My favorite discs were always the first 3. This is at least up there with them for me. I love the variety which was not really heard since The Green Room Serenade.

I still need to take in all the lyrics.

# 1 ALBUM OF THE YEAR!!!!!!

07-09-2006 07:55 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male
Unbalanced

images/avatars/avatar-373.jpg

Registration Date: 05-30-2004
Favorite 77s album: Island Album

Thread Starter Thread Started by Mark
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'm really impressed with the quality of the music put out by the Lost Dogs and their other bands during the past year or so.

First, The Choir hit a home run with O How The Mighty Have Fallen.

Second, Daniel Amos re-released their self-titled debut with bonus discs.

Third, The Lost Dogs hit a home run with The Lost Cabin And The Mystery Trees.

Fourth, The 77's DVD was released by Lo-Fidelity. Excellent.

Fifth??? I can't wait for the new 77's CD.

These guys are on a creative high!!!

07-09-2006 08:11 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
rob 3.0 rob 3.0 is a male
Radioactive Crow

images/avatars/avatar-180.gif

Favorite 77s album: Drowning With Land in Sight

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by rob 3.0
I used to always say that Little Red Riding Hood was my favorite Lost Dogs cd. That may no longer be true. The Lost Cabin and The Mystery Trees is a fantastic addition to the Dogs already impressive catalog. I am seriously lovin this cd. Its been a long time since a cd has had me pouring over the liner notes and the lyrics like this one has. The writing is fantastic. The music is diverse and fun, it really reminds me of the LRRH, GRS Part 1 days.

I can't stop listening to Whispering Memories. It was written by Hindalong/Daugherty and its the most beautiful and sad song I've heard in some time. It almost brings me to tears listening to it. The title track is great and Get Me Ready is an awesome rockin tune. Although its even better live with the good Doctor Love really tearing it up.

One of the best lines comes from Burn it up.
"Plug in, turn on, burn it up. Give the people what they are yearning for Doctor Love" Heck yeah. Cool

Don't wait, buy this cd now!

Was I ever on the inside?
07-09-2006 13:54 rob 3.0 is offline Send an Email to rob 3.0 Homepage of rob 3.0 Search for Posts by rob 3.0 Add rob 3.0 to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of rob 3.0: digitalrob3 YIM Account Name of rob 3.0: flashfan77 View the MSN Profile for rob 3.0
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-546.jpg

Registration Date: 09-30-2004
Favorite 77s album: Tom Tom Blues

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

The Lost Dogs are at it again. Their latest release, The Lost Cabin And The Mystery Trees, is similar to Little Red Riding Hood in the variety of musical directions and lyrical excellence. The legends known as Terry Taylor, Mike Roe, and Derri Daugherty return for their ninth studio effort sporting a new Doggie. Steve Hindalong is officially Lost now, although his presence was quite evident in last year's Island Dreams.
Broken Like Brooklyn opens the CD. It's a comparative ballad of the Dodgers leaving Brooklyn, bringing dismay and angst to their faithful followers, to "losing the best". An alt-country tribute that sets the tone of the inner sleeve dedication "in loving memory of Gene Eugene, who was with us every step of the way in the making of this album." Devil's Elbow is a remake of a Daniel Amos song. It has a rollicking rockabilly feel with jangly guitars. As usual, Taylor has written the bulk of the material (8 out of 11 songs) and it is lyrically masterful. The title track
is reminiscient of his more recent solo work, replete with gorgeous harmonies. Daugherty and Hindalong wrote Whispering Memories, a heart-wrenching country ballad of bygone love. Matt Slocum's pedal steel guitar adds to the mood. One More Day, the lone Roe-penned song, is a prayer from a flawed individual for one more opportunity "to show someone the way." This should be an anthem/prayer for all of us. Slocum again works his steel magic to complete this country number. This Business Is Goin' Down is a jangler that describes love based on financial success. I hope we who live from paycheck to paycheck will never experience this scenario. Hardening My Heart is a beautiful ballad of lost love, sung to perfection by Mike Roe. Only One Bum In Corona Del Mar shatters the melancholy mood. It's a shared narrative, humorous, Cowboy musical. "Is that Stacy Keach passed out on the beach? No, it's only our bum from Corona del Mar." Get Me Ready fires you up to take on whatever the future throws at you: terrorists, politicians, plague, war, natural disasters, the Rapture, the Judgement, .......Da Vinci......well, maybe not. This rocker not only pumps you up, but it's the most rockingest Dogs song since Sweet Work Of Love. The Choir boys wrote Burn It Up, dedicated to our beloved Doctor Love (Mike Roe). It's about Mike & Terry travelling to Nashville to record this album. Terry & Mike offer kudos to Red Dog and Indie Hindie on one verse. This one has the late nite chill vibe of The Choir's O How The Mighty Have Fallen. That's Where Jesus Is concludes the recording. In the vein of Breathe Deep and Pray Where You Are, this instant classic brings to mind that Jesus is in the lowliest and neediest among us.
The Lost Cabin And The Mystery Trees is a well-produced professional musical endeavor by quality, veteran musicians, assisted by the studio talents of Tim Chandler and Matt Slocum. Lost Dogs are currently touring. Check out www.thelostdogs.com for tour dates & to purchase this enjoyable CD.

07-12-2006 21:55 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-446.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2004

mike's guitar on 'get me ready' is fantastic!

07-13-2006 13:12 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Homepage of larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of larryl: nashvillelarryl YIM Account Name of larryl: larryl922
larryl larryl is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-446.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2004

my review is here

http://www.gracehotel.net/Albums/Reviews/06/LostDogs06.html

go there and check it out...please Big Grin

ok....here it is, since i know how lazy you guys are

the lost dogs are back, in the style we have come to expect from them. after the scathing reviews of last years instrumental album "island dreams", the boys come back with an album of alt-country rockers and gorgeous ballads, reminiscent of "gift horse' and the first two lost dogs albums.

for the unitiated, the lost dogs originally consisted of the frontmen of arguable the four most important bands in christian rock : terry taylor (daniel amos), michael roe (the 77s), derri daugherty (the choir) and gene eugene (adam again). with this foray, 6 years removed from gene's untimely passing, the dogs add choir drummer steve hindalong as the official fourth dog. for additional support, they toss is matt slocum on pedal steel, and tim chandler's great bass work.

the album album is a perfect mix of slow burning ballads and straight out country rock, containing some of the best music the band has ever made. the high point, for me, is the 'get me ready', a barn burner rip-roaring rocker asking God to get us ready to meet him, featuring scorching guitar work from mike roe. this could almost be a 77s song, and easily the hardest-rocking the guys have ever sounded. 'devil's elbow' is another up-tempo tune, a re-made daniel amos classic, from 'songs of the heart', that seems to be pure fun. to counterbalance these, 'one more day', the only roe-pened song on the album is a cowboy song, seeming at first to be about love gone wrong, before, like many of roe's songs, turning into an ode to seeing the better side of things, using our time here on earth wisely. the album closer, 'that's where jesus is' is an anthem type song, along the lines of 'breathe deep (the breth of god)" or "pray where you are", reminding us that god loves the downtrodden, the broken, and that he is more concerned with us helping one another than with our houses, cars, politics, or even hit songs.

Overall, the quite possibly the strongest album in the lost dogs already very impressive catalog, and one that fans of anyone involved should own.

07-14-2006 19:08 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Homepage of larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of larryl: nashvillelarryl YIM Account Name of larryl: larryl922
gator77da gator77da is a male
Baby Elvis

images/avatars/avatar-252.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2006
Favorite 77s album: Sticks 'n' Stones

http://www.tollbooth.org/2006/reviews/lostdogs.html

08-01-2006 10:47 gator77da is offline Send an Email to gator77da Search for Posts by gator77da Add gator77da to your Buddy List
lam77s

Registration Date: 05-29-2004

quote:
Originally posted by gator77da

Big Grin

Linda
08-01-2006 11:15 lam77s is offline Send an Email to lam77s Search for Posts by lam77s Add lam77s to your Buddy List
gator77da gator77da is a male
Baby Elvis

images/avatars/avatar-252.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2006
Favorite 77s album: Sticks 'n' Stones

quote:
Originally posted by lam77s
quote:
Originally posted by gator77da

Big Grin

Linda

I'm a shameless self-promoter in spamming the Lost Dogs, 77s, DA and Chioir MBs with a link to my review. Tongue

08-01-2006 12:07 gator77da is offline Send an Email to gator77da Search for Posts by gator77da Add gator77da to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-92.jpeg

Registration Date: 05-27-2004

Christian Musician
The Lost Cabin and the Mystery Trees by The Lost Dogs
Fools of the World

by CM Staff
“That’s Jesus in the homeless faces/With the junkies in their livin’ hell/That’s Jesus with the drunks and in the lonely places/The rest homes and prison cells/That’s where Jesus is/Where we ought to be.” Possibly the best Lost Dogs effort since the Gene Eugene era. (Specifically: the wondrous “Little Red Riding Hood”)

Lost Cabin is a work of whimsy, warmth, nostalgia, poignancy, provocation and holiness, all filtered through four guys who understand the tragedy of the human condition and the triumph of redemption. The record is an amalgamation of classic American styles, featuring the band’s best integration of influences yet. From nostalgic country to blistering rock ‘n’ roll, the band benefits from the production hand of new, fourth member, Steve Hindalong, as the sound is more supple and full than projects that carry 5 times the recording budget.

Of course, that means nothing if you don’t have songs and, oh, do the Dogs have songs. I can say, without an ounce of hyperbole, that Terry Scott Taylor is probably one of American music’s five greatest living songwriters. With a bent for provocative language and conceptual grandeur, Taylor is adept at pointing out the foibles of the human condition and, all the while, accepting his own culpability in the process. Plus, he is capable of wrapping up his rural landscapes in rich, beatle-esque hooks. Add in Derri Daugherty’s impossibly sweet vocals and the athletic musicality of Mike Roe and you have one of the most musically imposing bands of our day, in any genre.

One listen to the nostalgic Americana of “Broken Like Brooklyn” or “Whispering Memories”, the bright folk-pop of “Corona del Mar”, “That’s Where Jesus Is” or the pulsating, California rock of “Devil’s Elbow” should convince you that this is no ordinary outfit. If more convincing is necessary, take a listen to the blistering, garage-rock of “Get Me Ready” – featuring incendiary guitar work from Roe that mirrors the urgency of the song’s call to be prepared for whatever God puts in one’s path, be it edification or painful instruction. Listening to a Lost Dogs album is like enjoying a six-course meal at a five-star restaurant, in an era where most music fans are content with musical fast-food. Don’t make the mistake of consuming empty calories, when you can fully nourish yourself with The Lost Cabin and the Mystery Trees
03-26-2007 12:56 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-546.jpg

Registration Date: 09-30-2004
Favorite 77s album: Tom Tom Blues

I didn't know sounds could be supple. I thought that was just for breasts and wrists.
Tongue

03-26-2007 14:07 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
Scoller Scoller is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-217.jpg

Registration Date: 04-27-2007
Favorite 77s album: 88

Lost Cabin and the Mystery Trees has really grown on me. When I first received it, I wasn't too sure what to think. Now I think it may b e my favorite Lost Dogs cd!
04-28-2007 14:45 Scoller is offline Send an Email to Scoller Search for Posts by Scoller Add Scoller to your Buddy List
Verve
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-222.jpg

Registration Date: 04-26-2007

I stll have to pick it up.

04-29-2007 08:30 Verve is offline Send an Email to Verve Search for Posts by Verve Add Verve to your Buddy List
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

images/avatars/avatar-381.gif

Registration Date: 11-17-2004
Favorite 77s album: The one's Mike plays guitar on

quote:
Originally posted by Scoller
Lost Cabin and the Mystery Trees has really grown on me. When I first received it, I wasn't too sure what to think. Now I think it may b e my favorite Lost Dogs cd!

Still hasn't done that for me.

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies
and i don't understand it"

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
06-07-2007 19:16 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
Scoller Scoller is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-217.jpg

Registration Date: 04-27-2007

really? my friends all love it. I'd say it ranks right up there with scenic routes and little red. maybe a little more polished.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Scoller: 06-07-2007 19:27.

06-07-2007 19:27 Scoller is offline Send an Email to Scoller Search for Posts by Scoller Add Scoller to your Buddy List
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

quote:
Originally posted by Scoller
really? my friends all love it. I'd say it ranks right up there with scenic routes and little red. maybe a little more polished.

Really.

Not a fan of that disc. Seem like leftovers from a prior DA/TST disc that have been warmed over. "...Corona del Mar" usually helps me test the "skip" function on my player.

I have been listening to the disc for the last month or so, trying to like it. It has a few moments, but not enough for me to get excited about.

Not being critical, just being honest.

I will say this, tho...I dig Doctor Love's guitar playing.

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
06-07-2007 19:38 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
JR88 JR88 is a male

images/avatars/avatar-475.jpg

I love this album...the best since Gift Horse....I think Gene's engineering and production was an asset to the Dogs....and I think Hindalong's involvement in a Gene like role helped this album......I dig this album alot....

even Corona Del Mar... Wink

06-07-2007 19:54 JR88 is offline Send an Email to JR88 Homepage of JR88 Search for Posts by JR88 Add JR88 to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of JR88: l
drowning drowning is a male
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-223.jpg

Registration Date: 06-12-2007
Favorite 77s album: Direct

quote:
Originally posted by 77 bc
[quote]

Not a fan of that disc. Seem like leftovers from a prior DA/TST disc that have been warmed over. "...Corona del Mar" usually helps me test the "skip" function on my player.

I have been listening to the disc for the last month or so, trying to like it. It has a few moments, but not enough for me to get excited about.

Not being critical, just being honest.

I will say this, tho...I dig Doctor Love's guitar playing.

I can agree with much of this -- if I am honest since nazarene towel with a few exceptions the lost dogs seem to be a trip back to like '77 - when Daniel Amos wore cowboy hats... I miss the blues tinged stuff and the more alt. vibe...

Again - not hating lost cabin - just can't say it lives up to some of the hype on this thread...

I do enjoy:

Broken
Get Me ready
That's Where Jesus Is...

06-12-2007 10:58 drowning is offline Search for Posts by drowning Add drowning to your Buddy List
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

I have to say, probably my favorite tune on the disc is "Hardening My Heart". I think that the song holds it's own rather well.

One of the subtle things I REALLY dig, is the right to left panning of the percussion, at the words:
"Solitare cards dealt
So heartfelt"

Another good one is "That's Where Jesus Is", mainly because I believe that the lyrics are a more accurate representation of Jesus than the "Jesus" that is represented by a lot of the Christian folks out there.

The only thing that somewhat caused me to shun that song a bit, was that it seemed almost "formula" writing, after "Pray Where You Are" and "Breathe Deep". I guess there's nothing wrong with giving us all a reminder at the end of each album of something that is such simple truths, but it caused me to have somewhat of a "been there, done that" attitude.

BTW...the disc is still in my player. Still having trouble with the BGV's on "Corona Del Mar". Very "Wonderama" to me.

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
06-14-2007 20:17 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » CD & DVD Reviews » Lost Dogs - The Lost Cabin And The Mystery Trees

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH