77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » CD & DVD Reviews » 7&7is - Fun with Sound » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page 7&7is - Fun with Sound 2 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Alex Alex is a male
Mr. Magoo

images/avatars/avatar-115.jpg

Registration Date: 05-01-2005
Favorite 77s album: Eighty Eight

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

First, English isn't my mother tongue. Probably I miss a hidden meaning in some phrases. Most likely your English is way better than mine. I apologize.

Second, to my ears FWS does sound similar to TBA, just with better songs. So it IS a big improvement to me. If somebody told me before it's on par with TBA, I probably wouldn't have ordered it. I can't compare it to AGFORC at all. Nor to "Daydream". It's mellower than EP. If there's another similarity to FWT, I find it in "Take your Mind off it" from "Direct".

Of course, you don't have to agree with me. Your opinion is no better or worse than mine. That's why we both post our opinions. The reader may think for himself. I recommend the CD without hesitation.

Alex

08-23-2005 02:59 Alex is offline Send an Email to Alex Homepage of Alex Search for Posts by Alex Add Alex to your Buddy List
Cynthia
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-483.jpg

Registration Date: 07-20-2005

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I've never heard this CD (feel free to cast your stones now.) Shocked

02-03-2006 10:20 Cynthia is offline Search for Posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your Buddy List
lam77s

Registration Date: 05-29-2004

quote:
Originally posted by Cynthia

What's keeping you!?? It's a must-have, but then I think the same of all things Roe/77's. Cool Smile

Linda
02-03-2006 10:56 lam77s is offline Send an Email to lam77s Search for Posts by lam77s Add lam77s to your Buddy List
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

images/avatars/avatar-381.gif

Registration Date: 11-17-2004
Favorite 77s album: The one's Mike plays guitar on

quote:
Originally posted by Cynthia

One of the best CD's I have ever heard.

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies
and i don't understand it"

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
02-03-2006 11:44 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
Audiori J
unregistered

It is a different animal than most of their Music, but I like to have different styles for different moods. I am one person who doesn't want to see a band keep making the same album over and over. They can stretch and grow and I can right along with them. There is familiar ground in all their albums because they are the same group of people, but they explore new territory.

Its funny when we first heard it, we told Mike and Mark what it reminded us of and they were astonished and thought it was weird because they had something totally different in mind they were trying to do.

What I think the album is, is filtered through how I percieve it, which is what they intended filtered through them.

Kind of like that old telephone message game where you go around the room whispering a story in the ear of the person next to you, only to have the original message and the end result completely different.
02-03-2006 12:25
Nailtatt Nailtatt is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-212.jpg

Registration Date: 05-28-2004
Favorite 77s album: Sticks and Stones

I like it, but I have to be in the right mood to listen to it.

02-24-2006 13:29 Nailtatt is offline Send an Email to Nailtatt Search for Posts by Nailtatt Add Nailtatt to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Nailtatt
theo theo is a male
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 09-01-2004

Twice when I've headed out on a long road trip, upon a rainy day, I've jammed that CD into the player to begin my voyage. Sets the right mood, relaxes me--the entire trips were better because I started off that way.

There's simply some really "beautiful" music on that disk.

02-28-2006 07:55 theo is offline Send an Email to theo Homepage of theo Search for Posts by theo Add theo to your Buddy List
.evangeline. .evangeline. is a female
Radioactive Hatchling

Registration Date: 06-05-2004

YES!! And it works best on 101 between Ventura and Lompoc.

"...the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it by force."
02-28-2006 08:12 .evangeline. is offline Send an Email to .evangeline. Search for Posts by .evangeline. Add .evangeline. to your Buddy List
tom tom blue tom tom blue is a male
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-268.jpg

Registration Date: 05-30-2004
Favorite 77s album: STICKS & STONES

i am not to happy with FUN WITH SOUND, except the last track.
it has been awhile since i heard it....after these reviews i will check it out again... Cool

07-31-2006 08:42 tom tom blue is offline Send an Email to tom tom blue Homepage of tom tom blue Search for Posts by tom tom blue Add tom tom blue to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of tom tom blue: raelzoo
Kit Kit is a male
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-587.jpg

Registration Date: 06-02-2004

quote:
Originally posted by tom tom blue
i am not to happy with FUN WITH SOUND, except the last track.
it has been awhile since i heard it....after these reviews i will check it out again... Cool

That's the only track I can't see myself getting into. I do like the drums that kick it off though.

08-02-2006 20:45 Kit is offline Send an Email to Kit Homepage of Kit Search for Posts by Kit Add Kit to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kit: Nakedprey77
zing zing is a male
Baby Elvis

images/avatars/avatar-594.jpg

Registration Date: 01-22-2005
Favorite 77s album: Depends on the day!

context of the artist Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I had this CD on once last year and my wife, who hadn't heard it, said it didn't seem like the type of music I usually listen to (which is accurate). I told her who made the album and she said she understands why I liked it then.

She then asked a question that I found worth pondering...

"Do I like this album because it's a sevens/roe album?"
or
"Do I like this album because of what it is?"

I answered yes, but I'm curious what others think...
08-08-2006 18:42 zing is offline Send an Email to zing Search for Posts by zing Add zing to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-446.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2004

i love it. i've been spinning it all the time lately.

that's the true test for me.....do i keep coming back to it over and over, year after year? if yes, then it is a truly great record.

08-08-2006 19:12 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Homepage of larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of larryl: nashvillelarryl YIM Account Name of larryl: larryl922
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-546.jpg

Registration Date: 09-30-2004
Favorite 77s album: Tom Tom Blues

It's a departure but it is quality music.
I love the subtle swell of Gone In A Moment, & the last 2 tracks sound more like the Sevens.

08-08-2006 20:36 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
BigDork
Happy Roy

images/avatars/avatar-218.jpg

Location: lI was lonely and hungry, but not so lonely I wouldn't eat

quote:
Originally posted by larryl

that's the true test for me.....do i keep coming back to it over and over, year after year? if yes, then it is a truly great record.

agreed... Cool

08-08-2006 20:39 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
rob 3.0 rob 3.0 is a male
Radioactive Crow

images/avatars/avatar-180.gif

Favorite 77s album: Drowning With Land in Sight

I like it for what it is. Great music. Its just a bonus that it came from Mike and Mark. Big Grin

Was I ever on the inside?
08-08-2006 21:53 rob 3.0 is offline Send an Email to rob 3.0 Homepage of rob 3.0 Search for Posts by rob 3.0 Add rob 3.0 to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of rob 3.0: digitalrob3 YIM Account Name of rob 3.0: flashfan77 View the MSN Profile for rob 3.0
phreaq phreaq is a male
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-215.jpg

Registration Date: 11-09-2005
Favorite 77s album: DWLIS

It is first rate beautiful music with so much to enjoy - various layers to explore over many listens of melodies, counter melodies, and beautiful themes along with some fantastic lyrics...

fun with sound is timeless music, period.

~f

"do you get the blues sometimes?"

say "no" to Eleanor for Moderator

08-09-2006 03:50 phreaq is offline Send an Email to phreaq Homepage of phreaq Search for Posts by phreaq Add phreaq to your Buddy List
lam77s

Registration Date: 05-29-2004

quote:
Originally posted by phreaq
It is first rate beautiful music with so much to enjoy - various layers to explore over many listens of melodies, counter melodies, and beautiful themes along with some fantastic lyrics...

fun with sound is timeless music, period.

~f

Yessiree! I couldn't agree with you more. Big Grin

Linda
08-09-2006 09:37 lam77s is offline Send an Email to lam77s Search for Posts by lam77s Add lam77s to your Buddy List
j77
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by peawinkel
It's a departure but it is quality music.
I love the subtle swell of Gone In A Moment, & the last 2 tracks sound more like the Sevens.

While I don't see this album as a departure, I agree it's outside the 77s box. However, I look at this album as a growth spurt more than anything. It is a very fine album that will stand the test of time.
08-09-2006 10:04
jyroflux jyroflux is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-454.jpg

Registration Date: 04-30-2005
Favorite 77s album: Pray Naked, today anyway

quote:
Originally posted by Alex
Best CD 2005. Alternative Rock with a slight jazzy feel. Big improvement since "The boat ashore".

Alex

Really? I love The Boat Ashore. I guess I'll find out because I just ordered Fun With Sound (finally).

09-01-2006 16:10 jyroflux is offline Send an Email to jyroflux Search for Posts by jyroflux Add jyroflux to your Buddy List
jyroflux jyroflux is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-454.jpg

Registration Date: 04-30-2005
Favorite 77s album: Pray Naked, today anyway

Great CD! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Why oh why did I wait so long to get Fun With Sound? I just put it on for the first time and listened to it and I LOVE it. I try to listen to music the first time without looking at song names or reading the CD. So, I can't say what songs rise above the rest, but I'm sure I'll be listening to this CD a lot in the next few weeks or months.

09-09-2006 20:39 jyroflux is offline Send an Email to jyroflux Search for Posts by jyroflux Add jyroflux to your Buddy List
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » CD & DVD Reviews » 7&7is - Fun with Sound

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH