77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » Fun with Sound » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (8): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Fun with Sound 5 Votes - Average Rating: 10.005 Votes - Average Rating: 10.005 Votes - Average Rating: 10.005 Votes - Average Rating: 10.005 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

images/avatars/avatar-381.gif

Registration Date: 11-17-2004
Favorite 77s album: The one's Mike plays guitar on

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Well...now my interest is heightened. I am very much looking forward to this CD. I have quit "expecting" what to hear, when I get recordings by the boys.

Can't wait for the ride home, to have my first listen!

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies
and i don't understand it"

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
11-22-2004 07:40 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Registration Date: 06-01-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning with Land in Sight

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

carl....Mike and Stevie Nicks? I can't get that combination of voices to work in my head somehow.

11-22-2004 14:23 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Flower in the Sand

Registration Date: 06-02-2004
Favorite 77s album: The Funky Crow Thang
Location: Loveland, CO.... "I told my mother when I was four years old I wanted to be a Rock and Roll singer and a dishwasher. And that's kinda how it's worked out."

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Aw, c'mon.... you can't picture Mike with that "Lord, PLEASE get me out of here" expression while intoning "I know you really wanna tell me good-BYE...."?

Tongue

(this is my official work photo, BTW... Tongue Shocked )
11-23-2004 05:21 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Homepage of carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List
dennis
Happy Roy

images/avatars/avatar-487.jpg

Registration Date: 10-03-2004
Favorite 77s album: "88"

very cool. Cool
11-23-2004 05:31 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

Ok...I have listened to the CD as I drifted off to sleep last night, and I have listened to it this morning, while driving Kori to "Nerd School". I was able to listen at the "sonic level", and not at the "lyric level", only halfway thru the 6th track, "Ride the Waves".

Unless something throws me for a loop, I would rate this CD in the same category as the Beach Boys "Pet Sounds", which is one of my all time favorite albums.

In Carl's comments, he said "the vocals/lyrics definitely take a back seat to the overall sound on this one. Mike doesn't knock anything out of the ballpark here in these departments this time out (with the possible exception of the lyrics to "Ride the Waves"), but then again that's not the intent." I think that I understand the meaning of this. On this CD, the vocals are part of the music, and not something that has to have musical accompanyment to support it.

What I wholeheartedly believe, like Carl has said before, is that this is a CD that you will find something new and fresh each time you listen to it. Even though I am only a little over half way through, I can confidently state that.

As I said to Ginny, this is a CD that will be best listened to, at least by me, with the headphones on, in a darkened room, and cranked up. This is the kind of music that you can find yourself getting surrounded in.

Will comment more after I finish the "first listen".

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
11-23-2004 06:39 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
carl carl is a male
Flower in the Sand

Location: Loveland, CO.... "I told my mother when I was four years old I wanted to be a Rock and Roll singer and a dishwasher. And that's kinda how it's worked out."

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

We're haaaaapy campers
We're all happy campers
We're hap-haphap-haphap-happy campers....

Big Grin

11-23-2004 06:53 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Homepage of carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List
phreak phreak is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

Registration Date: 08-02-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning With Land In Sight

mike's lyrics on FWS Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

for a guy who has said he was stricken with writer's block...

in my opinion - while the voice is definitely a part and not out front on the album... the lyrics are some of mike's best...

I have done the headphone listen in a candle lit room and it definitely took me to some dark and yet hopeful places...

so, I do understand Carl's comment - but I would say while the voice is back in the mix - the lyrics are powerful, evocative, metaphorical and carefully crafted.

~f

~ ffphreeack!! ~

Christianity 101: love God; love others

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by phreak: 11-23-2004 07:06.

11-23-2004 07:06 phreak is offline Send an Email to phreak Search for Posts by phreak Add phreak to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of phreak: doug77@mac.com
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

RE: mike's lyrics on FWS Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Fun With Sound is a "sonic experience". The vocals are as much of the overall sound as the instumentation. From the "sonic" standpoint, they are very balanced and blended, intertwined and woven.

I haven't gotten to the lyrical content, but from what I have heard/seen in concert, and have caught tidbits here and there, I am looking forward to getting that second layer experience.

Cool

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
11-23-2004 07:23 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
carl carl is a male
Flower in the Sand

Cool Yo phreak Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I may yet come around on the lyrics -- I probably need another 30 listens or so. Big Grin I'm just not ready to put them anywhere near a level of The Boat Ashore yet. (On the other hand, it probably took me that many listens to really get TBA. Big Grin )I don't think they're bad (with a few exceptions soon to be named, and hey, THEY might therefore wind up the equivalent of "Thanks a Million" Big Grin )), it's just my jaw hasn't dropped over them yet, and since, again, they usually come part-and-parcel with THAT VOICE, it's that much more work to get to them this time around. And I'm a guy who needs his Dylan fix, whether he's listening to Dylan or not. Big Grin

Cases in point: I'm still trying to "get" "Ride the Waves," although I can definitely see the imagery there; some of the lyrics in the "Jack Spoiler" piece are pretty clever; and "Ghost Train" looks real good on paper -- the vocals are just too far down to connect just yet. On the other side, I find the "muttering/stuttering... glimmering/shimmering" thing on "Gone in a Moment" kinda distracting, as is the "I took the long way/but went the wrong way" (I forget which song that is -- one of the earlier ones).... which, ironically, are the few moments where his voice is actually out front....

It's early, though.... and it's my own cross to bear, in any case.... Smile

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by carl: 11-23-2004 07:34.

11-23-2004 07:32 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Homepage of carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

I played this while my wife and I were sorting Christmas presents. She was diggin' on it!

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by 77 bc: 11-23-2004 09:17.

11-23-2004 09:15 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
carl carl is a male
Flower in the Sand

My wife digs it too. I'm pretty sure that the combination of the Dogs DVD and seeing him live back in March put it over the top for good.
Even with this one, she says, " I can't believe that THAT VOICE comes out of him." Big Grin

11-23-2004 10:12 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Homepage of carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

I just hit L'Orbis/Jack Spoiler. I am diggin' this. Talk about a flashback to my early rock music listening memories!!!

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
11-23-2004 10:17 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
lam77s

Registration Date: 05-29-2004

First of all, I want to say that I think Mike can confidently proclaim that his writer's block is officially over.

Somebody mentioned somewhere that this album reminded them of Daydream w/ lyrics. I think that’s partially true, but doesn’t tell the whole story. I’m not much of a reviewer, but here goes.

“Gone in a Moment” - To me this song has the feel of Art Garfunkle’s “Break Away” album, which is one of my favorites. Love the last chord--totally Beatles.

“A Quiet Little Place” - Bass intro...and then the addition of acoustic guitar. Nice touch. I think it’s an interesting combo of stripped down v. full/layored, and simple v. complex. I love bass! Big Grin

“My World Inside” - Reminds me of a Steely Dan number. I like the way the vocals are mixed, singing and dubbing over with an almost speaking voice. I think that increases the impact of the lyrics.

“Thank You for Your Dreams” - This one is probably my favorite overall. Beautiful.

“Say So Long to Your Sad Old Love Song” - Great phrasing. Loved it from the first play. I’m a sucker for minor keys.

“Ride the Waves” - I think this has the musical feel of “Honey Run.” Nice instrumentation (can feel the war of the waves). I can really relate to this song.

“Glory Train” - Here’s their CCM top hit, the Dove Award. ;-) Easily accessible. Wouldn't that be nice.

“Guadalupe” - This one had me in a puddle of tears. I've been thinking a lot about my grandmother (who died in June) these last few weeks, with the holidays approaching. I've been to all those places with her on so many occasions. Guadalupe, Anderson, Lexington, Santa Cruz---what memories. The song caught me totally offguard.

“L’Orbis/Jack Spoiler” - well, the first part is beautiful and then interesting transition into Jack Spoiler, where I think Mike channeled Dylan--love it. His vocal versatility is astounding. This reminds me of his other Dylan-sounding vocals on "Don't Leave Me Long" on Tom Tom Blues.

“City of Refuge” - Good old rock’n roll in Mike's great Elvis voice. What’s not to love.

This CD is not what I would consider an easy listening piece of music. I am going to enjoy mining every single thing out of it. Mike and Mark really did outdo themselves this time. There is just so much in there. I also
think there’s a nice jazz feel to some of the songs.

I think that Mike's in great vocal form here. I agree with bc77 that "the vocals are as much of the overall sound as the instumentation. From the 'sonic' standpoint, they are very balanced and blended, intertwined and woven."

This album makes me work and I like to work for what I get out of the music I listen to. I like to be surprised, with twists and turns, and this album provides that, too. I want something to give me goosebumps and this does. I'm not partial to hum drum, verse-chorus-verse, with
each sounding the same, type stuff, certainly not an entire album of it.

There's not one song on here that I would skip. They're all keepers.

I like a "big" sound and this album delivers that--encompasses me, and I must admit, was overwhelming the first few listens. There should be a warning lable, "Not for the faint of heart."
11-23-2004 11:14 lam77s is offline Send an Email to lam77s Search for Posts by lam77s Add lam77s to your Buddy List
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Registration Date: 06-01-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning with Land in Sight

She always tells us that she's not much of a reviewer and then says incredible things--at least she's consistent! Big Grin

11-23-2004 11:25 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

quote:
Originally posted by Marti
She always tells us that she's not much of a reviewer and then says incredible things--at least she's consistent! Big Grin

I don't care what she says, other than the fact that she chose to quote something that I said, in agreement with me!!! Big Grin

Seriously, though, it was a great review. So far, I think that "Say Goodbye...." is the song that hooked me the hardest, thus far, with the extended instrumental ending, and the vocal layering.

Like she says, too, I love music that I have to work to listen to, and to truely appreciate. One comment that was said, on the drive home, went something like..."There is a difference between making music, and making musical art. Those guys are definitely artists!"

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
11-23-2004 11:42 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-92.jpeg

Registration Date: 05-27-2004

In a way, I think the lyrics have a first impression of being
simpler. But after paying closer attention they become deeper.
It's kind of a deceivingly simple pop lyric sound, with an underlying
haunting feel.

Although, Mike's lyrics have had that quality before.

It may be less easy to pay attention to the haunting part
at first with the music being so interesting? Unlike say the
stripped down sound of something like Kites Without Strings
which pretty much leaves you with just paying attention
to the nuances of the vocal and lyric.

Finding the right words to descibe it all is very hard.

I've lately been paying very close attention to the
Jack Spoiler lyric.
11-23-2004 15:30 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
j77
unregistered

Thanks for the review Linda. I have yet to find the words for this album, other than to say that I love it. Cool
11-23-2004 17:23
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

The more I listen, the more I am digging this. I am starting to have those "lyrical phrases" that are starting to whack me upside the head.

I don't know if I have said it yet, but if not (and I know that at least Mark has been lurking lately....), Mike & Mark, thanks for doing what you do, and thanks for this incredible album.

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
11-23-2004 19:40 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
.evangeline. .evangeline. is a female
Radioactive Hatchling

Registration Date: 06-05-2004

i am very thankful, and i have not even heard it yet.

"...the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it by force."
11-23-2004 19:46 .evangeline. is offline Send an Email to .evangeline. Search for Posts by .evangeline. Add .evangeline. to your Buddy List
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

(jeez...I thought I was the suck up)

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
11-23-2004 19:52 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
Pages (8): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » Fun with Sound

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH