77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » Durutti Column as an influence? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Durutti Column as an influence?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
luthierj luthierj is a male
Someone New

Registration Date: 05-23-2012
Favorite 77s album: pray naked

Durutti Column as an influence? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I just connected the dots between "Mezzo" on Drowning with Land in Sight and "Messidor" by the Durutti Column. Has Mike ever mentioned liking or being influenced by Vini?

BTW, this is my first post here. Been a fan since college (1990). Hope to see Mike play in Denver again someday.
05-23-2012 19:55 luthierj is offline Send an Email to luthierj Search for Posts by luthierj Add luthierj to your Buddy List
Gur Gur is a male
Mezzo

Registration Date: 01-14-2008
Location: And into this chasm God would let a million Jacob Bayers float down like sparkling dust on a dry wind.

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Welcome Luther!

I can't answer that due to my ignorance, but Mike will probably show up in the next day or two and answer it himself. He shows up often. Welcome again!
05-23-2012 20:52 Gur is offline Send an Email to Gur Search for Posts by Gur Add Gur to your Buddy List
Gur Gur is a male
Mezzo

Registration Date: 01-14-2008
Location: And into this chasm God would let a million Jacob Bayers float down like sparkling dust on a dry wind.

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Forgive me for the naming mistake. I am not only ignorant but blind. I just put on my reading glasses. Doc, where are you?
05-23-2012 21:01 Gur is offline Send an Email to Gur Search for Posts by Gur Add Gur to your Buddy List
me-is-e
Drowning with Land in Sight

images/avatars/avatar-215.jpg

Registration Date: 03-14-2006
Favorite 77s album: the one I'm listening to

I'll be looking forward to Mike's full answer, but I remember him mentioning the Durutti Column in an interview around that time and bought one of their albums based on reading that. I think he talks about them in the liner notes for Orbis too, but my memory is getting hazy about that one. Tongue

05-23-2012 22:39 me-is-e is offline Send an Email to me-is-e Homepage of me-is-e Search for Posts by me-is-e Add me-is-e to your Buddy List
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

RE: Durutti Column as an influence? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yes indeed, Luthierj, The Durutti Column was a huge influence upon me during the early 90’s -- anyone interested in comparing “Mezzo” to “Messidor” (I only just noticed the title similarities as I was typing this!) can do so here:

http://youtu.be/jQmjdx0_w9I

http://youtu.be/1j2u2QGK0HM

Holy crap, they’re even in the same key (also unintentional) -- how did you ever connect these particular dots? Almost no one ever does. Thanks for noticing.

I first heard Messidor and the DC in a record store in the Haight/Ashbury district of San Francisco, but the song was on really low on the stereo so it had a rather mysterious hard-to-hear quality, and I wanted to reproduce that on my composition. But, when we went to cut it, Aaron played the drums louder than I intended and all of us kinda followed suit. So, it came out not so ‘mezzoforte’ but ended up way cooler than I could have ever imagined that it would.

This is one of my very favorite 77s songs and an experiment that I considered more than successful. We should have done more things like this, but the two instrumental albums that I did years later with Mark Harmon more than made up for that desire. I really enjoyed working on those and loved how they both came out. Can’t wait to do another one.

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the Blackboard ~~ : )

Doctor Love has attached this image:
durutti.jpg

05-24-2012 02:46 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
luthierj luthierj is a male
Someone New

Registration Date: 05-23-2012
Favorite 77s album: pray naked

Thread Starter Thread Started by luthierj
wow, thanks Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Wow, I never thought Mike would reply! That was unexpected and totally cool. Thanks!

I was just listening to "Drowning" yesterday and couldn't get it out of my head that I had heard those same sounds somewhere else. I just kept obsessing until I figured it out.

One of things I have always liked about the 77s is their ability to incorporate the sounds and tunes of great bands (Led Z, the Byrds, etc.) and make them part of their own recognizable sound and style.
05-24-2012 16:35 luthierj is offline Send an Email to luthierj Search for Posts by luthierj Add luthierj to your Buddy List
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

images/avatars/avatar-381.gif

Registration Date: 11-17-2004
Favorite 77s album: The one's Mike plays guitar on

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

great thread. Cool

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies
and i don't understand it"

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
07-08-2012 14:27 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
BillyFartsallot
unregistered

no doubt the Dr's version has more body, more flavor, more spice.
07-08-2012 20:02
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » Durutti Column as an influence?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH