77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » Concert Reviews & Photos » Musica - Akron, OH 3/21/2012 » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Musica - Akron, OH 3/21/2012
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
phreaq phreaq is a male
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-215.jpg

Registration Date: 11-09-2005
Favorite 77s album: DWLIS

Musica - Akron, OH 3/21/2012 Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Mike and David put on a very good show in Akron, OH - Wed. March 21, 2012.

A good crowd (@ 120 folks) gathered at Musica Theatre in downtown Akron (just South of the Goodyear Headquarters on S. Market St.). Seated comfortably at a hightop table a mere 10 feet from the stage (on Mike's side of the theater) the show got underway just past 7:30 PM. The opening act was a local rock trio that goes by "Between Two Lights." They had come off a one year hiatus not long ago - and seemed to comfortably cruise through a number of originals that allowed each of the players to show their ability and craft on their appointed instrument. It was a tight outfit - and although I didn't know any of their tunes - it was more than enjoyable (albeit - that was one LOUD drummer).

After some rearrangement and tuning... Mike and David (half the band they used to be) as the 77's took the stage around 8:30 PM or so. With little to no fanfare they started started slow and beautiful - and acoustic...

MT
Treasure In You
Lutheran Hymn

Then the experiment and it started getting more and more inventive and stretched out as Mike got increasingly looser and "warmed up..."
Don't This Way
Quails
This is the Way Love Is
You Walked In the Room
The Lust

Then the bass player and drummer from the "warm up" band were invited back and it just got "ridiculous" and Mike seemed to play off the energy and the drummer fed him lots... and the improvisation and fireworks and sparks flew... (it was getting hot and the place was nearly "jumping.)
UUUU
Dave's Blues

encore with Mike and David and aforementioned rhythm section...
Perfect Blues
Do it for Love (with everyone singing as we relived 1987)...

The show ended right around 10 PM - a great hour and half in Akron.

After the start slow, rise higher, catch fire show - Mike and David visited and sold discs and signed lots of memorabilia. It seemed like lots of product left the venue.

Great show. Great venue with a great selection of adult beverages - I enjoyed a dopplebock from Great Lakes - brewed right up the road to the north in Cleveland.

~f

"do you get the blues sometimes?"

say "no" to Eleanor for Moderator

03-22-2012 07:33 phreaq is offline Send an Email to phreaq Homepage of phreaq Search for Posts by phreaq Add phreaq to your Buddy List
ClevelandRocks ClevelandRocks is a male
Someone New

Registration Date: 03-24-2012
Favorite 77s album: Sticks and Stones

Big Grin Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I was at the same show. It was my very first 77's show ever after following them for over 20 years. Got to meet Mike almost immediately upon entering the building (he was selling the 77's merchandise) and I told him the story as to how I got to be a fan of his group. I heard their music for the first time on a college radio station and that song was "Deep End" and it has been my favorite song of theirs since. After I told Mike this, he was like, "wow. Wait, let me get Dave and you tell him what you told me." I did in fact let Dave in on the same testimony I gave Mike and he was very appreciative of this, since he was part of the Pray Naked CD as well. Mike signed the 7 CD's I had on hand and the DVD also. The show was really good, and was even better when Between the Lines got up on stage to do the last few songs of the night. Got a couple pictures taken with Mike and one of them is proudly displayed on my computer. I had heard from Dave their may be another tour with a full band in July...if that's indeed the case than I'm there.

I'm glad I finally got to go to see the 77's after so many years. I look forward to the next time they do another show this side of the states. Cleveland has some good venues, so maybe...hopefully....

03-24-2012 07:38 ClevelandRocks is offline Send an Email to ClevelandRocks Search for Posts by ClevelandRocks Add ClevelandRocks to your Buddy List
Ping Pong Over the Abyss Ping Pong Over the Abyss is a male
Unbalanced

images/avatars/avatar-202.gif

Registration Date: 02-21-2006
Favorite 77s album: Too Many...!

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Cool review, and welcome to the board. Nice to see another fan of the greatest band on earth!! Cool

03-24-2012 08:16 Ping Pong Over the Abyss is offline Send an Email to Ping Pong Over the Abyss Search for Posts by Ping Pong Over the Abyss Add Ping Pong Over the Abyss to your Buddy List
ClevelandRocks ClevelandRocks is a male
Someone New

Registration Date: 03-24-2012
Favorite 77s album: Sticks and Stones

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Ping Pong Over the Abyss
Cool review, and welcome to the board. Nice to see another fan of the greatest band on earth!! Cool
Thanks..it's great to be here.

03-24-2012 15:06 ClevelandRocks is offline Send an Email to ClevelandRocks Search for Posts by ClevelandRocks Add ClevelandRocks to your Buddy List
phreaq phreaq is a male
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-215.jpg

Registration Date: 11-09-2005
Favorite 77s album: DWLIS

Thread Starter Thread Started by phreaq

quote:
Originally posted by ClevelandRocks
I was at the same show. It was my very first 77's show ever after following them for over 20 years. Got to meet Mike almost immediately upon entering the building (he was selling the 77's merchandise) and I told him the story as to how I got to be a fan of his group. I heard their music for the first time on a college radio station and that song was "Deep End" and it has been my favorite song of theirs since. After I told Mike this, he was like, "wow. Wait, let me get Dave and you tell him what you told me." I did in fact let Dave in on the same testimony I gave Mike and he was very appreciative of this, since he was part of the Pray Naked CD as well. Mike signed the 7 CD's I had on hand and the DVD also. The show was really good, and was even better when Between the Lines got up on stage to do the last few songs of the night. Got a couple pictures taken with Mike and one of them is proudly displayed on my computer. I had heard from Dave their may be another tour with a full band in July...if that's indeed the case than I'm there.

I'm glad I finally got to go to see the 77's after so many years. I look forward to the next time they do another show this side of the states. Cleveland has some good venues, so maybe...hopefully....

Great story Cleveland...

Not only was Dave involved with Pray Naked - Dave and his band The Strawmen brought that song, phony eyes and holy hold to the Pray Naked release.

So I am sure it was very gratifying for Dave to hear your story.

~f

"do you get the blues sometimes?"

say "no" to Eleanor for Moderator

03-26-2012 08:04 phreaq is offline Send an Email to phreaq Homepage of phreaq Search for Posts by phreaq Add phreaq to your Buddy List
Pfiagra Pfiagra is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-125.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2004

RE: Musica - Akron, OH 3/21/2012 Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Thanks for posting. Love hearing about the concert from the left coast.

However, I would like to point out that this discussion forum is Concert Reviews & Photos, not Concert Reviews or Photos. Therefore, your post is only partially on topic and I must ask that you rectify the situation by posting some photos. Big Grin
03-26-2012 18:38 Pfiagra is offline Send an Email to Pfiagra Search for Posts by Pfiagra Add Pfiagra to your Buddy List
Acalysa
Someone New

Registration Date: 05-28-2012

Yes it was too good, i enjoyed lot there. and crowed was really very good seriously its first time i attend in a concert, its was really memorable time for me.
05-28-2012 06:52 Acalysa is offline Search for Posts by Acalysa Add Acalysa to your Buddy List
dennis
Happy Roy

images/avatars/avatar-487.jpg

Registration Date: 10-03-2004
Favorite 77s album: "88"

Jon Mathewson the bass player from Between the Lights is an amazing player and a good friend of over 20 years. I learned a lot about the bass from him back in the day.
He and his brother formed the indie band 35 Little Ducks in a basket when they were in High School.
05-29-2012 13:03 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » Concert Reviews & Photos » Musica - Akron, OH 3/21/2012

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH