77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » Wild Blue » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Wild Blue
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
aladinsane aladinsane is a male
Someone New

Registration Date: 08-10-2011
Favorite 77s album: Drowning

Wild Blue Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Wild Blue is such a great song. Why was it never recorded in the studio?

Actually, 88 is the album that got me into the 77s back around '93. I had never heard Christian bands play their instruments in quite a convincing fashion until I listened to 88... Ever since I have always wondered why I could never find Wild Blue on any other album.
08-15-2011 20:31 aladinsane is offline Search for Posts by aladinsane Add aladinsane to your Buddy List
Kit Kit is a male
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-587.jpg

Registration Date: 06-02-2004

RE: Wild Blue Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Always wondered that myself since I have always kind of liked it.

08-15-2011 20:47 Kit is offline Send an Email to Kit Homepage of Kit Search for Posts by Kit Add Kit to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kit: Nakedprey77
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

RE: Wild Blue Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I’m proud of Wild Blue on a number of levels, but the lyric was really duff. I wasn’t quite sure what I was wanting to say and I ended up saying it kinda gobbledegook-like so that’s why I considered it a ‘throwaway’. The 88 album has a few of those ‘cuz that was stuff written specifically to play in bars and places where we had to have a lot of extra material, so this song, Mary & The Baby Elvis, Closer etc. were all written in a hurry so the lyrics suffered.

I came up with Wild Blue as a tribute to Dave Mason and all the great shows I got to see him and his band do in the early 70’s. At that time, they were a real treat and Dave really knew how to stretch out a solo without ever going over the top with it. It was a smooth, fluid kinda thing that packed houses back then but he never really got a lot of recognition for this. Instead, songs like We Just Disagree, Every Woman etc. were the things he got tagged with. Those were good songs but his shows were on another level altogether, plus he would do tunes from his stint with Traffic like “Feelin’ Alright”, which I loved.

If you really wanna hear what he was up to back then, grab his albums “Alone Together” (another ‘tribute’ title I stole from him) or “It’s Like You Never Left”. Great stuff. I think there’s also an album from that period called Dave Mason Live but I’m not sure that it captures his concerts in the way that I experienced them. I’ll have to go check it out, it’s been been over 35 years or more now.

Doctor Love has attached this image (reduced version):
its_like_you_never_left_CD_large.jpg

Doctor Love has attached these images:
Dave-Mason-Alone-Together-298588.jpg
298588b.jpg

08-15-2011 23:00 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
Big Jim Big Jim is a male
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 08-22-2005
Favorite 77s album: Holy Ghost Building

Re: Wild Blue Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yes, I really dig this tune too. I don't think the lyrics are that bad, but the music is definitely badass. Besides, who can't relate to never having enough time to do anything? Big Grin I will have to check out Dave Mason. I didn't know about the tie-in with "Alone Together" either, but I had some clue of it several years ago, when I loaned DWLIS to someone at work. He mentioned that he knew of a tune called "Alone Together" and for all I know and remember, he may have thrown out the name Dave Mason... and I also remember we were discussing that it was legal to use the same song title (unlike band names and stealing song lyrics)... Big Grin
08-16-2011 13:00 Big Jim is offline Send an Email to Big Jim Homepage of Big Jim Search for Posts by Big Jim Add Big Jim to your Buddy List
Doctor Love

The title “Alone Together” was in use before Dave Mason nabbed it. It was originally a Broadway show tune from the 1930’s. It’s enduring popularity has rendered it a jazz standard for decades.
08-16-2011 15:47 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
Ping Pong Over the Abyss Ping Pong Over the Abyss is a male
Unbalanced

images/avatars/avatar-202.gif

Registration Date: 02-21-2006
Favorite 77s album: Too Many...!

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Consider me a fan also. Will be busting this out tonight on ye olde iPod. Cool

08-16-2011 17:38 Ping Pong Over the Abyss is offline Send an Email to Ping Pong Over the Abyss Search for Posts by Ping Pong Over the Abyss Add Ping Pong Over the Abyss to your Buddy List
klempp
Someone New

Registration Date: 09-25-2009

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

88 was the one that got me hooked also! Love Wild Blue and those other throw away songs! : ) My story of liking the 77s is pretty much the same as aladinsane
08-18-2011 07:47 klempp is offline Send an Email to klempp Search for Posts by klempp Add klempp to your Buddy List
aladinsane aladinsane is a male
Someone New

Registration Date: 08-10-2011
Favorite 77s album: Drowning

Thread Starter Thread Started by aladinsane

Hm, I will have to check Dave Mason out...

i don't think the lyrics are bad on Wild Blue. Maybe not deep and soul-searching, but I have the same problem myself! Not enough time to do everything, that is.
08-18-2011 12:58 aladinsane is offline Search for Posts by aladinsane Add aladinsane to your Buddy List
Kit Kit is a male
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-587.jpg

Registration Date: 06-02-2004

quote:
Originally posted by aladinsane
Hm, I will have to check Dave Mason out...

i don't think the lyrics are bad on Wild Blue. Maybe not deep and soul-searching, but I have the same problem myself! Not enough time to do everything, that is.

Yeah, he had me at "This is a song about never having enough time to do anything" (even though that part of the song is at the end of track 2 on the CD). Roll Eyes After that, I thought the lyrics were decent enough. It's obviously no "The Lust, the Flesh.." or "The Years Go Down", but it's better than "Gravy Chain". Smile

08-18-2011 16:09 Kit is offline Send an Email to Kit Homepage of Kit Search for Posts by Kit Add Kit to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kit: Nakedprey77
dennis
Happy Roy

images/avatars/avatar-487.jpg

Registration Date: 10-03-2004
Favorite 77s album: "88"

Added the Dave mason album to my spotify play list.
08-27-2011 02:07 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
jopawil jopawil is a male
Someone New

Registration Date: 01-05-2005

wild blue/88 Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Wild Blue is great, love the organ. 88 is one of the best live albums by any band ever. My favorite track is Where It's At, what's the story on that song?

09-23-2011 07:46 jopawil is offline Send an Email to jopawil Search for Posts by jopawil Add jopawil to your Buddy List
Doctor Love

RE: Where It’s At Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Where It’s At was yet another song written in five minutes to kill time in clubs and give folks something fast to dance to since we were playing lots of those during that period. It was inspired by Ricky Nelson’s ‘Waitin’ In School’ which you can hear here:

http://youtu.be/Q5DVkU78iJ8

The lyrics were an ironic stance on myself when I’m completely immersed in the world of fun and frolic and wanting to be in the place where all the cool things are happening and not caring about the consequences of my actions. It’s pretty lame, I know, but we were desperate for lots of rockin’ filler material at the time. We did have fun playing it and I was able to blow out all my favorite James Burton licks in one go!
09-23-2011 14:45 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

images/avatars/avatar-381.gif

Registration Date: 11-17-2004
Favorite 77s album: The one's Mike plays guitar on

Thumb Up! RE: Where It’s At Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Cool

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies
and i don't understand it"

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
09-26-2011 20:38 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » Wild Blue

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH