77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » "Genuine" » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page "Genuine"
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Registration Date: 06-01-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning with Land in Sight

"Genuine" Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

What inspired "Genuine"?

06-12-2011 14:02 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

RE: "Genuine" Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

That’s a Bruce Spencer gobbledegook lyric. He somehow managed to “Christianize” the ending of it for Mark and my sake. Not sure whether it helped or not.

Gosh it’s been so many years since I even heard this record. Guess I need to dig it out and play it. It’s a haunting painful memory though. That was a dark time for the band personally and musically, and the record we were making alongside of it should have been the one that came out instead. Our hearts were not in ‘Crows’ but rather the other record, some of which became "Direct" which I think I liked better. I’m just glad that whole era is over. I was not a happy boy and am much happier now.

And, if we ever make another 77s album it will not sound like any of this music ever again. I’m not sure where any of it was coming from.

Doctor Love has attached this image (reduced version):
studio2.jpg

06-14-2011 20:12 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
Kit Kit is a male
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-587.jpg

Registration Date: 06-02-2004

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I just can't believe this thing is 10 years old. The same amount of time has passed between its release and today (2001-2011), as what passed between the time I first discovered the 77s and when Crows came out (1991-2001).

06-14-2011 20:53 Kit is offline Send an Email to Kit Homepage of Kit Search for Posts by Kit Add Kit to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kit: Nakedprey77
MDJ MDJ is a male
Someone New

Registration Date: 11-19-2008

RE: "Genuine" Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Love
Our hearts were not in ‘Crows’ but rather the other record, some of which became "Direct" which I think I liked better. I’m just glad that whole era is over. I was not a happy boy and am much happier now.

And, if we ever make another 77s album it will not sound like any of this music ever again. I’m not sure where any of it was coming from.

Doc,

I don't think 'Crows' was a bad record. I think the 2nd half is stronger than the first half though. Some like 77's blues. Some like 77's rock. I think you guys do 77's pop very well.

Stand out cuts to me are There Forever and Begin. I sure feel 'heart' in those songs, but what do I know?

MDJ
06-15-2011 12:40 MDJ is offline Send an Email to MDJ Search for Posts by MDJ Add MDJ to your Buddy List
Ping Pong Over the Abyss Ping Pong Over the Abyss is a male
Unbalanced

images/avatars/avatar-202.gif

Registration Date: 02-21-2006
Favorite 77s album: Too Many...!

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'll have to blast some Crows tonight. Cool

06-16-2011 05:43 Ping Pong Over the Abyss is offline Send an Email to Ping Pong Over the Abyss Search for Posts by Ping Pong Over the Abyss Add Ping Pong Over the Abyss to your Buddy List
Big Jim Big Jim is a male
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 08-22-2005
Favorite 77s album: Holy Ghost Building

Crows Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

"Mean Green Season" cooks also... Always liked "One More Time" too... I like this CD, though it's been awhile since I pulled it out and listened to it. I will have to fix that and rip 'em up to itunes... Big Grin
06-16-2011 10:45 Big Jim is offline Send an Email to Big Jim Homepage of Big Jim Search for Posts by Big Jim Add Big Jim to your Buddy List
Doctor Love

RE: Crows Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I forgot to mention that “Begin” was actually recorded during The Boat Ashore sessions and was intended as a critical part of its release. We ran out of money and time and for some reason I got stalled on the lyrics, as I did on a few other Boat tunes, some of which were composed in the studio parking lot, sung in a huge rush and then mixed the very same night! Sheer insanity, I know, but that’s how we did things in those days.

Bruce and I were at the end of our energies over trying to make our usual stupid Cornerstone release deadline (as well as our commitment to a month long Lost Dogs Green Room Serenade tour prior to that) so we rushed the Boat album, and Begin got lost. Five years later, we remembered it and unearthed it as the grand finale for Crows. I’m sure glad we did -- that’s possibly my favorite cut on there.

Doctor Love has attached this image (reduced version):
77s@OldIronsides.jpg

06-16-2011 19:39 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
MarkyMark77 MarkyMark77 is a male
Drowning with Land in Sight

images/avatars/avatar-456.jpg

Registration Date: 03-24-2005
Favorite 77s album: 99

quote:
And, if we ever make another 77s album it will not sound like any of this music ever again.

And what would that take? Making another 7s record, I mean...money, I'm sure. I'd be interested in starting a fan-sourced fund for a new record. For real. Especially if others might have the same interest and have a few hundred to a grand that they could contribute. Kickstarter, anyone?!???

Anyway, I'm one of the people who liked "Direct" way more than "Crows". Never have played it much, and it's the only 7s project I can say that about. Every other disc has been scratched beyond oblivion because of playing (and a lax attitude toward disc care). "Direct" has more a 7's sound: less obvious pop, more introspective pop/rock. I also adore "EP", which is a totally different animal.

Also, I totally love the stories, Mike. Keep 'em coming!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by MarkyMark77: 06-16-2011 19:47.

06-16-2011 19:45 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Thread Starter Thread Started by Marti

For some reason, "Genuine" has always been very cathartic for me. I guess that has to do with people that I've dealt with that have either all but given up on themselves or been discouraged by some ersatz spiritual expression. I believe very ardently in keeping it real.

"Begin" is the other track that I really get into on that album. The middle sounds....like the product of a lot of frustration and unsettledness. That always makes me a little sad.

06-16-2011 21:43 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
Doctor Love

“Begin” has a ‘middle’??

I thought it had verses and choruses only. What’s the ‘middle’?
06-16-2011 23:49 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
jason
Someone New

Registration Date: 06-03-2004

Begin is also my favorite on the album. It's so full and rich. It's been one of those tracks that I revisit often over the years.

I also really like Mean Green Season. It's a fun jangly tune that gets the toe tapping.

Thanks for the stories behind the songs/albums. I love hearing about them, even if they were sometimes negative experiences for you. I never would have guess Boat was a rushed album. It feels like a very complete, polished, and cohesive album to me.
06-17-2011 06:01 jason is offline Send an Email to jason Search for Posts by jason Add jason to your Buddy List
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Thread Starter Thread Started by Marti

I was referring to the middle of the album, not the middle of "Begin"-sorry. "Begin" itself feels to me like a logical progression, not segments.

06-17-2011 11:21 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
Kit Kit is a male
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-587.jpg

Registration Date: 06-02-2004

I gave Crows a once through again 2 days ago for the first time in probably 5 or so years.

Highlights:

- Apart from the clangy snare sound, "Mean Green Season" is pretty formidable as a rocker and has my favorite guitar solo on the album. It surely belongs on a list of The 77s' top 10 (if not top 5) rockers. That's probably the one I've played the most from Crows. Completely penned by Spencer too, apparently.

- "There Forever" goes on a little long but it is as sincere and engaging as any other ballad they've put out. For some reason, I used to think the lyric was "…My life's been empty in bed…" Thankfully, someone eventually set me straight. I should probably submit said misheard lyric to this site. haha

- "Mr. Magoo" is pretty underrated. Good melody and lyrics. You can hear a bit of La's and Foo Fighters.

- Yes, "Begin" is a fitting closer and stand out track on the album. I had no idea it was a leftover from The Boat Ashore sessions. But listening to it again, I can definitely hear it, especially the calm parts of the song with the strings.

My only criticisms:

- I like the single version of "Related" better. The canned trip hop loop doesn't add much to the Crows version. They should have given that loop to Jars of Clay. Also, I'm not anti-record scratching, but that part seemed out of place too.

- Some of the vocals on "Leaving", which is otherwise a great rocker, sound a tad phoned in. Might've been intentional.

- I never really got into "Rise". On the surface, it sounds like something I'd normally like a lot, but for some reason it never truly clicked.

06-17-2011 18:04 Kit is offline Send an Email to Kit Homepage of Kit Search for Posts by Kit Add Kit to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kit: Nakedprey77
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » "Genuine"

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH