77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » CD & DVD Reviews » Michael Roe - Solo and Alternate Versions » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Michael Roe - Solo and Alternate Versions
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
phreaq phreaq is a male
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-215.jpg

Registration Date: 11-09-2005
Favorite 77s album: DWLIS

Michael Roe - Solo and Alternate Versions Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I picked up Mike's latest disc at a Lost Dogs Show and wanted to offer a few thoughts.

Many have observed the enigma that is Michael Roe - is he a showman? a guitarist? a rocker? a singer songwriter? a lead singer? a cowboy?

Yes.

In my estimation all the above. But as this disc shows - a singer songwriter who shines with an acoustic and a mic.

Don't let this disc go out of print before you pick it up. Mike reworks some of his latest stuff as well as some gems throughout his recording career and they receive a nice and most tender touch. It is one I see myself returning to listen too, again and again.

Highlights for me:

I'll Remember You, Love, In My Prayers
You're Gonna Be Sorry
Smokescreen
Roesbud
The Boat Ashore
Jimmy

In each case above - I think Mike has forged a new way of hearing afresh songs we have enjoyed for years.

Support one of the finest musicians out there - buy Michael Roe - Solo and Alternate Versions, today!

Peace.

~f

"do you get the blues sometimes?"

say "no" to Eleanor for Moderator

05-20-2010 08:10 phreaq is offline Send an Email to phreaq Homepage of phreaq Search for Posts by phreaq Add phreaq to your Buddy List
Cynthia
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-483.jpg

Registration Date: 07-20-2005

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

That's an awesome recommendation. I haven't heard the CD, but I agree with the statements you made. I don't know why, but his live acoustic performances are one of the best things I enjoy listening to, and I'm sure on a CD it's just the same. The words, guitar technique and signing are all just beautiful and I could listen to them far longer than any concert seems to last.

Will the CD be available other than at the concerts?

05-20-2010 09:54 Cynthia is offline Search for Posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your Buddy List
phreaq phreaq is a male
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-215.jpg

Registration Date: 11-09-2005
Favorite 77s album: DWLIS

Thread Starter Thread Started by phreaq
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Cynthia, I believe it has been added to the store on 77s.com

~f

"do you get the blues sometimes?"

say "no" to Eleanor for Moderator

05-20-2010 09:58 phreaq is offline Send an Email to phreaq Homepage of phreaq Search for Posts by phreaq Add phreaq to your Buddy List
Cynthia
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-483.jpg

Registration Date: 07-20-2005

quote:
Originally posted by phreaq
Cynthia, I believe it has been added to the store on 77s.com

~f

Thanks.

05-20-2010 09:59 Cynthia is offline Search for Posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your Buddy List
Big Jim Big Jim is a male
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 08-22-2005
Favorite 77s album: Holy Ghost Building

New Mike Roe CD Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yes, though this one is currently getting overshadowed in my CD playing this week due to the Lost Dogs' new one, I am also really enjoying this CD as well. Phreaq - you said it well. That's all Mike needs is a good amplified acoustic and mic - and it sounds just great...
05-21-2010 14:50 Big Jim is offline Send an Email to Big Jim Homepage of Big Jim Search for Posts by Big Jim Add Big Jim to your Buddy List
77sfan 77sfan is a male

images/avatars/avatar-231.jpg

Registration Date: 06-08-2007
Favorite 77s album: The Island Album

RE: New Mike Roe CD Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I finally got around to picking this disc up, and boy am I sorry I waited so long to get it. What a fantastic album. As phreaq summed up in the op, Mike hits another one out of the park.

Thanks Mike!

~Saint Augustine~
06-09-2011 17:34 77sfan is offline Search for Posts by 77sfan Add 77sfan to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of 77sfan: gj100xtra
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » CD & DVD Reviews » Michael Roe - Solo and Alternate Versions

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH