77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » Concert Reviews & Photos » Lost Dogs - Greensburg, PA 5-19-10 » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Lost Dogs - Greensburg, PA 5-19-10
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
phreaq phreaq is a male
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-215.jpg

Registration Date: 11-09-2005
Favorite 77s album: DWLIS

Lost Dogs - Greensburg, PA 5-19-10 Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

The Lost Dogs played The Charter Oak Church in Greensburg to a crowd of @ 100 on Wednesday Night May 19, 2010. The crowd was appreciative and at times enthusiastic, the show was a whole new Dog's experience and for this phreaq it was deemed one of the finest Lost Dogs shows I have seen to date.

I have seen the Dogs on many occasions (9 or more times), and the shows were all a great time - yet often more a variety show than a concert! But their newest undertaking - Old Angel and the concert (yes concert) that is supporting it - is a whole new experience. There is a focus, a professionalism and gone is the schtick and "bits." (Not that I mind the bits - but it was nice to have the focus completely and clearly on the wonderful, at times tender and at times tearing it up, songs.)

The set started off with A Certain Love and moved right into the always moving Imagine That - a great familiar start. (I didn't get obsessive and write down a set list so I may get this wrong.) They continued with If You Want To - and then moved down Route 66 with a retooled - Devil's Elbow and then all new material (my first hearing)
Israelites and Okies
Pearl Moon (an AMAZING SONG!)
The World Is Against Us (acapella - and when the three parts all hit - WOW)
Dust In My Bowl
Dead End Diner
Glory Road (a nice reworking of DA's offering)

Then back to some familiar territory with Bullet Train (Mike got to stretch his fingers a bit on this one), Bad Indigestion, Rocky Mountain Mines (dedicated to the mine tragedy in WV) and to fully bring home this tender moment they did a beautiful rendition of Darkest Night. The set closed with the go to closer for the Dog's - Mike tearing it up on Eleanor, It's Raining Now.

With a bit of encouragement and the assurance from Derri, "we were going to come out anyway" the Dog's returned with an encore of Cowboy Songs:

Tumbling Tumble Weeds
Cool Water

and then as a benediction, a new Dog's tune - Traveling Mercies.

It was a great night of music (and who can tire of Hindalong's vast array of percussion and harmonica!). I really dug how during the route 66 portion - they had sound clips of preachers, and 66 influenced tunes transitioning from each song - it allowed for the guys to breathe and tune - but not necessarily need to do the "schtick."

It is late in the tour - but if they come near you... don't miss it.

One of the finest shows from Mike, Terry, Derri, and Steve that I have seen.

~f

"do you get the blues sometimes?"

say "no" to Eleanor for Moderator

05-20-2010 07:48 phreaq is offline Send an Email to phreaq Homepage of phreaq Search for Posts by phreaq Add phreaq to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » Concert Reviews & Photos » Lost Dogs - Greensburg, PA 5-19-10

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH