77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » King's X » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page King's X
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Carl Salad
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 08-27-2008

King's X Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I read recently on Facebook that Doug Pinnick of King's X joined Mike on stage. Is this really true? I've been a fan of King's X for a long time and would love to hear how something that like this came about? Have they ever worked together? Anyone have a recording of that live collaboration?
12-17-2009 15:14 Carl Salad is offline Send an Email to Carl Salad Search for Posts by Carl Salad Add Carl Salad to your Buddy List
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

DigDug Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yes it is true.

Dug and I are old pals from long before Kings X, and he showed up at my concert because the promoter was an old buddy of his also. It was great to see him and catch up.

At the end of the show the promoter called for a 'Beatles jam' (evidently a long-standing tradition at this annual Xmas event) and conned Dug into going up and belting out "Money", the old Isley Brothers tune that the Beatles cut on their second album. He sang the shit out of it -- that was a lot of fun!

Doctor Love has attached this image (reduced version):
DigDug.jpg

12-17-2009 15:37 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
Kit Kit is a male
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-587.jpg

Registration Date: 06-02-2004

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Was this at the Houston show?

King's X always play to a packed house down there. Seen them several times. I'm not the rabid fanboy I was in the 90s but I still dig the hell out of them, GHEY or not.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Kit: 12-17-2009 16:09.

12-17-2009 16:07 Kit is offline Send an Email to Kit Homepage of Kit Search for Posts by Kit Add Kit to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kit: Nakedprey77
Nailtatt Nailtatt is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-212.jpg

Registration Date: 05-28-2004
Favorite 77s album: Sticks and Stones

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Kings X is amazing. I have followed them for years. I got to see them up in Idaho and there was all of about 12 people at the show. It was amazing. They played as if the place was packed.

12-17-2009 20:43 Nailtatt is offline Send an Email to Nailtatt Search for Posts by Nailtatt Add Nailtatt to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Nailtatt
Kit Kit is a male
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-587.jpg

Registration Date: 06-02-2004

It's interesting in hindsight that they were considered a fresh new band in the late 80s when Doug was 38 or so years old. That kind of thing sure doesn't happen often today.

Dogman remains my favorite of theirs. Just a straight up ass-scorching rock record.

12-17-2009 22:18 Kit is offline Send an Email to Kit Homepage of Kit Search for Posts by Kit Add Kit to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kit: Nakedprey77
Ping Pong Over the Abyss Ping Pong Over the Abyss is a male
Unbalanced

images/avatars/avatar-202.gif

Registration Date: 02-21-2006
Favorite 77s album: Too Many...!

RE: DigDug Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Love
Yes it is true.

Dug and I are old pals from long before Kings X, and he showed up at my concert because the promoter was an old buddy of his also. It was great to see him and catch up.

At the end of the show the promoter called for a 'Beatles jam' (evidently a long-standing tradition at this annual Xmas event) and conned Dug into going up and belting out "Money", the old Isley Brothers tune that the Beatles cut on their second album. He sang the **** out of it -- that was a lot of fun!

Awesome. Cool IMO, Gretchen Goes to Nebraska is one of the best albums of all freaking time. I also have Out of the Silent Planet, Faith Hope Love, the s/t, and the aforementioned Dogman. Good stuff.

12-18-2009 06:18 Ping Pong Over the Abyss is offline Send an Email to Ping Pong Over the Abyss Search for Posts by Ping Pong Over the Abyss Add Ping Pong Over the Abyss to your Buddy List
juan ahmal juan ahmal is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-551.jpg

Registration Date: 08-06-2008
Favorite 77s album: TTB

RE: DigDug Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Ping Pong Over the Abyss
Awesome. Cool IMO, Gretchen Goes to Nebraska is one of the best albums of all freaking time. I also have Out of the Silent Planet, Faith Hope Love, the s/t, and the aforementioned Dogman. Good stuff.

Amen. Over My Head has no equal. Happy

12-18-2009 09:41 juan ahmal is offline Send an Email to juan ahmal Search for Posts by juan ahmal Add juan ahmal to your Buddy List
Rod Rod is a male
Baby Elvis

images/avatars/avatar-236.jpg

Registration Date: 08-21-2005
Favorite 77s album: When #s Get Serious

I'm with you guys. LOVE Kings X. Moanjam, Black Flag, all good stuff...
12-18-2009 10:59 Rod is offline Send an Email to Rod Search for Posts by Rod Add Rod to your Buddy List
Ping Pong Over the Abyss Ping Pong Over the Abyss is a male
Unbalanced

images/avatars/avatar-202.gif

Registration Date: 02-21-2006
Favorite 77s album: Too Many...!

I really dig the "community" of the other great Texas bands during that time...Galactic Cowboys and Atomic Opera likewise rule. And The Awful Truth (two of whom later went on to form GC). Cool

12-18-2009 15:14 Ping Pong Over the Abyss is offline Send an Email to Ping Pong Over the Abyss Search for Posts by Ping Pong Over the Abyss Add Ping Pong Over the Abyss to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » King's X

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH