77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » Any other instruments, Mike? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Any other instruments, Mike?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Carl Salad
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 08-27-2008

Any other instruments, Mike? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'm wondering if Mike ever fiddles around with other instruments? Banjo, mandolin, bass, dobro, ukulele?
11-20-2009 22:55 Carl Salad is offline Send an Email to Carl Salad Search for Posts by Carl Salad Add Carl Salad to your Buddy List
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Registration Date: 06-01-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning with Land in Sight

RE: Any other instruments, Mike? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

....the alpenhorn?

11-21-2009 01:28 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

RE: Any other instruments, Mike? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Played all but the dobro on the new album .... actually not bass, but I've played that a lot over the years and enjoy it very much. Mandolin is hard! Don't really know what I'm doing but I just fiddle around with it till I get a part -- not much room for my stubby little fingers ~~ Tongue Have played mando a fair amount on records over the years. The closest I've come to dobro is a resonator guitar, which I played on Holy Ghost Building (Stranger). I wrote Hobo Messiah on the resonator also, but chickened out and just played spanish on that one.

I have also played piano and keyboard a little on some stuff, which is amazing since I still don't even know where middle C is Roll Eyes Of course, everyone knows I play the mouth organ (harp, harmonica) but again, I really don't have a clue what I'm doing. I can play drums too but no one (myself included) would ever let me near a kit on a record session (thank God)

I would give my left nut (and a ton of other bodily organs) to know how to play piano like Little Richard or Jerry Lee Lewis or Dave Brubeck, or alto sax like Paul Desmond or trumpet like Chet Baker, but all this would take several more lifetimes and I sadly don't believe in reincarnation. Even if it did exist, I'm not sure I could stand going through childhood and adolescence (not to mention adulthood) again just to be able to do those things and starve to death. The folks I mentioned made good livings doing them, and their sound and feel are all wrapped up in their personal souls -- just because you can play like someone doesn't make you that someone.

Maybe in heaven we will get to do all these things, but I doubt we will care about them then. I would imagine that once you stare into the face of God, that's jazz and rhythm and blues incarnate ~~

quote:
Originally posted by Carl Salad
I'm wondering if Mike ever fiddles around with other instruments? Banjo, mandolin, bass, dobro, ukulele?

Doctor Love has attached these images (downsized versions):
chetbaker.jpg brubeckdesmond2180160976_ab59639918.jpg little-richard.jpg
jerrylee.jpeg

11-21-2009 03:26 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
Nailtatt Nailtatt is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-212.jpg

Registration Date: 05-28-2004
Favorite 77s album: Sticks and Stones

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Love
Of course, everyone knows I play the mouth organ........

El plays that also!

11-21-2009 07:52 Nailtatt is offline Send an Email to Nailtatt Search for Posts by Nailtatt Add Nailtatt to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Nailtatt
Cynthia
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-483.jpg

Registration Date: 07-20-2005

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I thought I saw a ukulele was played on the Rising Sun album, but I couldn't pick it out on the songs. What song was that played on?

11-21-2009 09:26 Cynthia is offline Search for Posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your Buddy List
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

images/avatars/avatar-381.gif

Registration Date: 11-17-2004
Favorite 77s album: The one's Mike plays guitar on

quote:
Played all but the dobro on the new album .... actually not bass, but I've played that a lot over the years and enjoy it very much. Mandolin is hard! Don't really know what I'm doing but I just fiddle around with it till I get a part -- not much room for my stubby little fingers ~~ Tongue Have played mando a fair amount on records over the years.

quote:
Originally posted by Carl Salad

Uh, well, thanks to you, and your mando solo on "Blue All Over", I HAD to have a mando to learn to play. I suck at playing it, but have a blast every time. I have been playing it in the worship band at church, this past month, which mostly consists of two finger chords. Shocked

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies
and i don't understand it"

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
11-21-2009 12:30 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

The mando solo on "Blue All Over" was actually played by Michael Gregory, whom you may have seen with the Safe As Milk band at Cornerstone '97. This performance also appears on the 77s DVD as a bonus selection.

Doctor Love has attached this image (reduced version):
TuNing.jpg

11-21-2009 21:19 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

images/avatars/avatar-381.gif

Registration Date: 11-17-2004
Favorite 77s album: The one's Mike plays guitar on

quote:
The mando solo on "Blue All Over" was actually played by Michael Gregory, whom you may have seen with the Safe As Milk band at Cornerstone '97. This performance also appears on the 77s DVD as a bonus selection.

Oh, GREAT! Now the good Doctor's mando credibility has gone right out the window!

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies
and i don't understand it"

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
11-22-2009 07:57 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » Any other instruments, Mike?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH