77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » Concert Reviews & Photos » Loveland, CO 10/16/09 » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Loveland, CO 10/16/09
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Linda Linda is a female
Someone New

Registration Date: 06-17-2004

Loveland, CO 10/16/09 Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Now I can die happy…

I’ve been a huge fan of Mike Roe and the 77’s for many years, but never had a chance to see him/them perform live before. Once, the 77’s played in my state (Nebraska), and once the Lost Dogs were in Ames, Iowa (about 3 hours from me), and I had to miss both of those shows due to circumstances beyond my control. So when I heard Mike was coming to Loveland, CO, I thought, “OK, it’s within a day’s drive, I’m just gonna have to go for it.” I was determined not to miss another opportunity!

I was doubly glad to see Mike up close and personal in the relaxed, intimate setting of a house concert. The show opened with two guest performers, both guitarist/singer/songwriters. First up was Tim Byrnes (a friend and former band mate of our host, Carl Simmons), followed by Michael Miller (who was touring with Mike Roe for several shows). Mike Roe joined Michael Miller on “stage” for the last song of his set, and then launched right into his solo set. Dressed in jeans, a black t-shirt, and his customary shades, he led off with three songs from “Holy Ghost Building”. Then he introduced “Jonah in the Wilderness” with a humorous discussion of the song lyrics. Throughout the evening, Mike regaled us with several great stories….about his struggles learning to play guitar in high school, about the birth of his daughter, of how he “borrowed” one or two ideas while writing “The Lust, The Flesh…” and how several others have since “borrowed” from that song. He introduced the song “Jimmy” explaining that it was written by Gene Eugene for a friend of his who was dying of AIDS. I lost my father after a long illness a few years ago, and I was very moved by the lyrics, and by Mike’s sensitive, heartfelt performance of the song. One of my favorite songs of the night turned out to be “MT”, I song a hardly expected to hear at a solo acoustic show. But Mike performed a very interesting arrangement with a slower tempo and a bluesy feel. He closed his set by, first of all, telling another great story about the female background vocals on the song “Nowhere Else”, and then he enlisted the audience’s help to sing the song with him. “This will be our big ‘rock concert’ moment,” he said. After he left the stage, the audience quickly called him back for an encore. He thanked us, and in true non-rock star fashion, admitted “I was gonna play another song anyway.” The audience had been very appreciative all night, and Mike seemed genuinely warmed by the reception. For the encore, he played a beautiful song called “If It Be Your Will”. I remember Mike introducing the song, and telling us something about where it came from, but to my chagrin I can’t remember who wrote it…..perhaps the good Doctor could refresh my memory?

The whole set list was as follows:
I’ll Remember You, Love, in My Prayers
Stranger Won’t You Change Your Sinful Ways
What Would You Give In Exchange for Your Soul
Jonah in the Wilderness
Smokescreen
Roesbud
Treasure In You
The Boat Ashore
MT
Jimmy
The Lust, The Flesh, The Eyes and The Pride of Life
Nowhere Else
Encore: If It Be Your Will

I was a little surprised that he only did one song from his latest record (We All Gonna Face The Rising Sun), but I was glad he did a variety of tunes spanning his career. It was a great show – Mike’s voice was in great form throughout, and his guitar playing was amazing to hear and see.

After the show, Mike came out and spent at least an hour talking with folks, and generously signing autographs. He spotted the 77s t-shirt I was wearing (with the Sticks and Stones cover art on it) and called out “Where did you get that shirt? I want that shirt!” I got him to sign the back of my shirt, and he graciously posed for a photo (much thanks to the nice guy who took the photo of me and Mike together!) I also told Mike, “I just wanted to thank you for always being honest as a person and as an artist…that’s why I drove 7 hours to be here!” Mike was quite amazed I had driven all the way from Lincoln, Nebraska, and joked “Wow, if I had known that, I would have played longer!”

I will attempt to post some photos that I took during the show…if I can figure out how to do that. Thanks once again to Carl and his wife for hosting the show with great hospitality (even providing hors d’oeuvres and sodas for everyone). I had such a great time, and I’m so glad I made the trip! And thanks once more, Mike, for doing what you do like no one else could! God bless you!

10-18-2009 09:14 Linda is offline Send an Email to Linda Search for Posts by Linda Add Linda to your Buddy List
Linda Linda is a female
Someone New

Thread Starter Thread Started by Linda
Shocked Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Wow...that didn't work very well. Sorry folks.....My original photos are actually pretty darn good, but when I posted them here they came out all blurry. I'm technologically challenged, so I really don't know what I did wrong, but I will play around with this and see if I can make another attempt.

10-18-2009 09:55 Linda is offline Send an Email to Linda Search for Posts by Linda Add Linda to your Buddy List
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Registration Date: 06-01-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning with Land in Sight

RE: Loveland, CO 10/16/09 Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Linda
Mike was quite amazed I had driven all the way from Lincoln, Nebraska, and joked “Wow, if I had known that, I would have played longer!”

!

Hang on--that gets you perks?

I drove from Lincoln to Iowa to get my son and THEN to Kansas City when we did the KC show this summer. I should have had Mike wash the car for us or something. Confused

Tongue Big Grin

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Marti: 10-18-2009 13:05.

10-18-2009 12:53 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-188.jpg

Registration Date: 05-28-2004
Location: "i find your lack of faith disturbing.."- darth vader

Tongue! RE: Loveland, CO 10/16/09 Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

i was almost considering flying from spokane to this show...since it was not only a chance to see mike live again, but to meet the infamous carl simmons in person! Shocked Big Grin
alas, my wife is 9 months pregnant, so i didn't....

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

facebook
10-18-2009 15:19 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005
Sharon Sharon is a female
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 06-07-2004
Favorite 77s album: 88 Miserable Crows Drowning

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Thanks for the great review, Linda.

10-18-2009 18:27 Sharon is offline Send an Email to Sharon Search for Posts by Sharon Add Sharon to your Buddy List
Carl Salad
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 08-27-2008

RE: Loveland, CO 10/16/09 Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
For the encore, he played a beautiful song called “If It Be Your Will”. I remember Mike introducing the song, and telling us something about where it came from, but to my chagrin I can’t remember who wrote it

That song was written by Leonard Cohen. The Lost Dogs recorded it on one of their albums.

Thanks for the great review.
10-19-2009 11:51 Carl Salad is offline Send an Email to Carl Salad Search for Posts by Carl Salad Add Carl Salad to your Buddy List
Linda Linda is a female
Someone New

quote:
Originally posted by Carl Salad
quote:
For the encore, he played a beautiful song called “If It Be Your Will”. I remember Mike introducing the song, and telling us something about where it came from, but to my chagrin I can’t remember who wrote it

That song was written by Leonard Cohen. The Lost Dogs recorded it on one of their albums.

That's right, I remember now! Thanks, Carl!

10-19-2009 20:29 Linda is offline Send an Email to Linda Search for Posts by Linda Add Linda to your Buddy List
Linda Linda is a female
Someone New

quote:
Originally posted by Marti
[
Hang on--that gets you perks?

I drove from Lincoln to Iowa to get my son and THEN to Kansas City when we did the KC show this summer. I should have had Mike wash the car for us or something. Confused

Tongue Big Grin

Hmmm...yes, I think you have me beat, Marti! At the very least, he could have cleaned your windshield. Smile

Ok, I'm going to try to post those photos once more....

Linda has attached these images (downsized versions):
img039.jpg img034.jpg img042.jpg
img047.jpg img050.jpg

10-19-2009 20:48 Linda is offline Send an Email to Linda Search for Posts by Linda Add Linda to your Buddy List
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Registration Date: 06-01-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning with Land in Sight

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Good pics and good review, Linda. Happy

Wink Actually, we got to do a little helping when we (finally) got there after having trouble finding the venue, and were glad to do the drive and have the opportunity.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Marti: 10-19-2009 20:59.

10-19-2009 20:55 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
Cynthia
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-483.jpg

Registration Date: 07-20-2005

Thanks for the review. Sounds like it was worth the drive. Smile

Mike must like to sign clothing. My daughter inherited some out grown clothing from my niece and one of her sweatshirts had his signature on the sleeve.

10-20-2009 13:19 Cynthia is offline Search for Posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » Concert Reviews & Photos » Loveland, CO 10/16/09

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH