77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » Strangest song in the 77s canon » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Strangest song in the 77s canon
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
vasquez vasquez is a male
Someone New

Registration Date: 08-02-2005

RE: tom tom fest Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I just love Deliverance. The guitar parts are incredible. Thanks Mike!
07-18-2009 14:37 vasquez is offline Send an Email to vasquez Search for Posts by vasquez Add vasquez to your Buddy List
Sam e. Ching
Someone New

Registration Date: 03-26-2008

RE: tom tom fest Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

"I used to smoke . . . I used to drink . . . . I used to smoke, and drink, and dance the hootchie-coo . . . "

I've got sort of a predicament in that I've let my son listen to most of the albums . . . (he is six years old) his favorite song without a doubt is "Gravy Chain" - - that's kind of a bizarre one. He laughs and turns up the volume on his CD player and plays it OVER and OVER and OVER. He likes Mike's ranting about chicken shacks, broke my back, stole a snack . . . .

Maybe Doc Love could give us the history behind that one, so I can decide if I've screwed up my kid or not :-)
08-31-2009 18:28 Sam e. Ching is offline Search for Posts by Sam e. Ching Add Sam e. Ching to your Buddy List
dennis
Happy Roy

images/avatars/avatar-487.jpg

Registration Date: 10-03-2004
Favorite 77s album: "88"

Earache my eye! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

"My momma talkin' to me tryin' to tell me how to live
But I don't listen to her cause my head is like a sieve"
10-01-2009 03:38 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

"Gravy Chain" was intended as a direct swipe at the CEO of VIA Records, who put out Safe As Milk and the 1-2-3 box set.

1-2-3 reportedly made VIA a small fortune. We handed it to them on a plate (i.e. for free) and they did not pay us a dime in royalties. I have been told that it possibly generated six figures but I never believe everything I hear, especially when it comes to record sales figures.

To VIA's credit, when they folded they gave us their remaining unsold stock of 1-2-3 so we were able to make a little on it, albeit piecemeal. They also financed our long, sprawling (and mostly disastrous) tour in 1995 with Curious Fools and The Throes. Sadly, VIA never paid anyone ANYTHING, and this made me stink with vendors, manufacturers, and recording/mastering studios coast to coast who I contracted to work on those two projects. Thank God Mr. John Davis fled back to his native Canada, where he was also wanted for theft there due to similar ripoffs and shady shenanigans. He knew great cigars and threw great parties -- all at everyone's expense except his own.

I hate record companies.

quote:
Originally posted by Sam e. Ching
"I used to smoke . . . I used to drink . . . . I used to smoke, and drink, and dance the hootchie-coo . . . "

I've got sort of a predicament in that I've let my son listen to most of the albums . . . (he is six years old) his favorite song without a doubt is "Gravy Chain" - - that's kind of a bizarre one. He laughs and turns up the volume on his CD player and plays it OVER and OVER and OVER. He likes Mike's ranting about chicken shacks, broke my back, stole a snack . . . .

Maybe Doc Love could give us the history behind that one, so I can decide if I've screwed up my kid or not :-)

Doctor Love has attached this image:
77s123.jpg

11-26-2009 01:08 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
Audiori J
unregistered
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Seems like a common story.
11-26-2009 07:27
Kit Kit is a male
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-587.jpg

Registration Date: 06-02-2004

Thread Starter Thread Started by Kit

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Love They also financed our long, sprawling (and mostly disastrous) tour in 1995 with Curious Fools and The Throes.
[/quote]

Wow...why so disastrous? The turn out?

I remember 7ball magazine listed a Houston date for this tour, but I don't think it ever happened. I sure as hell would have gone if I had known about it.

11-26-2009 10:52 Kit is offline Send an Email to Kit Homepage of Kit Search for Posts by Kit Add Kit to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kit: Nakedprey77
Doctor Love

>>>>>> Wow...why so disastrous? The turn out?

Because I contracted a severe case of bronchitis that caused me to cough so hard I blew out all my pectoral muscles and couldn't laugh, talk or sing without extreme pain. The guys had to tie me up in braces before I went onstage to keep me from moving much. It was horrible. It got so bad that I eventually landed in the emergency room in Philadelphia, and was sick for weeks after I got home.

To add insult to injury, my girlfriend at the time decided to take up with someone else but not tell me. I found out while still on the road and we conducted the most horrific and expensive transatlantic fight ever. Then, as if that wasn't bad enough, the tour started to fall apart and promoters began canceling to the point where we ended up sitting around in Nashville at the end of the thing for a week in hotels, but because I was so ill I could barely get out of bed. Then my roadie stole money out of my wallet. Nice.

I was literally fit to be tied by the end of that one.

Doctor Love has attached these images (downsized versions):
77sLogo.jpg The+Throes+december2005012.jpg

Doctor Love has attached this image:
curiousfools1994.jpg

11-26-2009 11:26 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
Nailtatt Nailtatt is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-212.jpg

Registration Date: 05-28-2004
Favorite 77s album: Sticks and Stones

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I hope you got to kick someone in the balls for that one! Dam!!!!!! I also hope you got to kick that girlfriend in the vag also!

11-26-2009 12:13 Nailtatt is offline Send an Email to Nailtatt Search for Posts by Nailtatt Add Nailtatt to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Nailtatt
Kit Kit is a male
Flower in the Sand

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Love
>>>>>> Wow...why so disastrous? The turn out?

Because I contracted a severe case of bronchitis that caused me to cough so hard I blew out all my pectoral muscles and couldn't laugh, talk or sing without extreme pain. The guys had to tie me up in braces before I went onstage to keep me from moving much. It was horrible. It got so bad that I eventually landed in the emergency room in Philadelphia, and was sick for weeks after I got home.

always happens at the wrong time

quote:

To add insult to injury, my girlfriend at the time decided to take up with someone else but not tell me. I found out while still on the road and we conducted the most horrific and expensive transatlantic fight ever.

ouch...so was she the inspiration for "Rocks in Your Head" and "Honesty"?

quote:
Then, as if that wasn't bad enough, the tour started to fall apart and promoters began canceling to the point where we ended up sitting around in Nashville at the end of the thing for a week in hotels, but because I was so ill I could barely get out of bed. Then my roadie stole money out of my wallet. Nice.

I was literally fit to be tied by the end of that one.

Hope one of the promoters who cancelled wasn't Bob Swan from the Woodlands. If so, I will have to have a few words with him when I am back in H-town. Smile

11-26-2009 12:20 Kit is offline Send an Email to Kit Homepage of Kit Search for Posts by Kit Add Kit to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kit: Nakedprey77
Doctor Love

quote:

To add insult to injury, my girlfriend at the time decided to take up with someone else but not tell me. I found out while still on the road and we conducted the most horrific and expensive transatlantic fight ever.

ouch...so was she the inspiration for "Rocks in Your Head" and "Honesty"?

>>>>> yes to the former (but only superficially, actually -- that tune was 98% fiction), and "Honesty" was yet another jab at the infamous Mr. Davis of VIA fame ~~ gosh I forgot all about this stuff! "Forgive and forget" is the best policy, but be sure to write an evil song about them so they are permanently and publicly punished long after you've forgiven them Evil

Doctor Love has attached this image (reduced version):
480px-Oklahoma_State_Highway_77S.svg.png

11-26-2009 17:15 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
Kit Kit is a male
Flower in the Sand

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Love and "Honesty" was yet another jab at the infamous Mr. Davis of VIA fame ~~

Oh...I guess it's the "C'mon baby Get a grip" part that threw me off. Big Grin

Plus, I didn't think VIA had the chance to really piss you off by the time TTB came out in mid or late 1995.

11-26-2009 19:59 Kit is offline Send an Email to Kit Homepage of Kit Search for Posts by Kit Add Kit to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kit: Nakedprey77
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » Strangest song in the 77s canon

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH