77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » Three Questions re: Vector » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Three Questions re: Vector
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
mypetsounds mypetsounds is a male
Someone New

Registration Date: 09-29-2008

Three Questions re: Vector Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Three questions for anyone here who has information about Vector:

1. Bruce was listed as the drummer on "Please Stand By," right? Did he actually play drums on the record?

2. Is Please Stand By the only Vector album on which Bruce played drums, or was he with the band earlier for Mannequin Virtue, or perhaps on later releases? The song Mannequin Virtue sounds to me as if could be Aaron Smith on drums. Not his typical style, perhaps, but then the music was more new wave than most of what he did for The 77's.

3. Wasn't there a video for Mannequin Virtue? I seem to remember seeing it on TBN's "Real Videos." If there is a video for the song, does anyone know where I can find it? I'd just like to see it one more time (assuming it exists and that I did indeed see it previously, of course).

Thank you,

mps

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by mypetsounds: 06-06-2009 14:04.

06-06-2009 14:04 mypetsounds is offline Send an Email to mypetsounds Search for Posts by mypetsounds Add mypetsounds to your Buddy List
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

RE: Three Questions re: Vector Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by mypetsounds
Three questions for anyone here who has information about Vector. Thank you.

mps

1. Bruce was listed as the drummer on "Please Stand By," right? Did he actually play drums on the record?

>>>>> yes

2. Is Please Stand By the only Vector album on which Bruce played drums, or was he with the band earlier for Mannequin Virtue, or perhaps on later releases? The song Mannequin Virtue sounds to me as if could be Aaron Smith on drums. Not his typical style, perhaps, but then the music was more new wave than most of what he did for The 77's.

>>>> On that song it is Aaron Smith, and his performance on that album convinced us that we needed to steal him away from Vector, which we did. Eventually, we stole Bruce from them too Big Grin Bruce only played drums on Please Stand By. Nothing before or after. Griffith eventually gave up on drummers and switched to drum machines.

3. Wasn't there a video for Mannequin Virtue? I seem to remember seeing it on TBN's "Real Videos." If there is a video for the song, does anyone know where I can find it? I'd just like to see it one more time (assuming it exists and that I did indeed see it previously, of course).

<>>> yes indeed there was -- I have no idea how you would see it now. I know I have a copy of it on a VHS tape somewhere, but I don't know if it was ever made available commercially. It's pretty funny to watch now -- at least as funny as all of the old 77s ones : )

Doctor Love has attached this image (reduced version):
90vector.jpg

06-06-2009 14:22 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-546.jpg

Registration Date: 09-30-2004
Favorite 77s album: Tom Tom Blues

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Griffith eventually gave up on drummers and switched to drum machines.

What's he up to these days?

I really like Temptation......but I never realized it was drum machines.....now I'm thinking it must, in reality, suck. Frown

06-06-2009 20:33 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
studio246 studio246 is a male
Someone New

Registration Date: 11-30-2004

Vector drummers Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I believe Steve Brewster played drums on "Temptation" (but there are plenty of loops mixed in with his playing as well). For the "Simple Experience" release, Aaron Smith programmed the drum machine, so it was kind of like having him on the record.

I actually thought the drums were programmed on "Please Stand By" but no... Spencer is really that tight... Steve Griffith and I have been friends over the years and he let me dub a bunch of Vector demos, live mixes and oddities to a DAT. On it I have Bruce Spencer's actual audition for Vector... Pretty fun stuff.

Steve and Terri are living down in Florida now... He did multimedia production for large churches for a while, and he and Terri just took a job as house parents for a youth treatment home.

Broderson

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by studio246: 06-15-2009 11:07.

06-15-2009 11:04 studio246 is offline Send an Email to studio246 Homepage of studio246 Search for Posts by studio246 Add studio246 to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » Three Questions re: Vector

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH