77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » Who is Gene Mascoli, and what else has he done? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Who is Gene Mascoli, and what else has he done?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
mypetsounds mypetsounds is a male
Someone New

Registration Date: 09-29-2008

Who is Gene Mascoli, and what else has he done? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Does anyone know anything about Gene Mascoli, co-writer of several 77's songs? Has he done anything else, musically, beside co-write with Dr. Love (including, apparently, a Lost Dogs song)? Dr. Love, if you are out there, I'd love to know more.
05-30-2009 19:16 mypetsounds is offline Send an Email to mypetsounds Search for Posts by mypetsounds Add mypetsounds to your Buddy List
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

RE: Who is Gene Mascoli, and what else has he done? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Gene was an old college chum and bandmate from the 70's who I kept writing with for awhile after the 77s got rolling. He was a prolific songwriter who got me over my stifling perfectionism and into just letting the muse flow so I could get songs done without agonizing and never finishing. I owe him a lot for that.

He's a good lawyer and family man nowadays but still plays and writes quite a bit. We always talk about firing up the collaboration again now that we're old and wretched. He was a very 'pop' writer and we provoked each other into some pretty good tunes, some of which you've heard but most of which have never seen the light of day. I am tempted to do a solo album in the future featuring a few of the better ones that got lost along the way -- some of them are classics and should've been hits for other artists going back three decades and more.

One of the funniest stories about Gene is when he submitted an early version of Ba Ba Ba Ba to a division of the old "Songwriter Magazine" that provided a pro songwriter's detailed critique of your songs for a fee. After a few weeks we got the tape back along with a very brief letter.

It read as follows:

"Dear Mr. Roe & Mr. Mascoli,

Sorry.

Your songs, and you, suck."

That told me more about the music business than all the forty+ years of time, practice, hard work and experience I've put in. I should have framed it.

Doctor Love has attached this image (reduced version):
Gene Mascoli.jpg

05-31-2009 00:58 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
Kit Kit is a male
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-587.jpg

Registration Date: 06-02-2004

RE: Who is Gene Mascoli, and what else has he done? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Love

It read as follows:

"Dear Mr. Roe & Mr. Mascoli,

Sorry.

Your songs, and you, suck."

oh that's it. I'm writing them. Cool

05-31-2009 10:01 Kit is offline Send an Email to Kit Homepage of Kit Search for Posts by Kit Add Kit to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kit: Nakedprey77
Cynthia
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-483.jpg

Registration Date: 07-20-2005

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

That's funny. Big Grin So glad you didn't give up writing music.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Cynthia: 05-31-2009 13:14.

05-31-2009 13:02 Cynthia is offline Search for Posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your Buddy List
mypetsounds mypetsounds is a male
Someone New

Registration Date: 09-29-2008

Thread Starter Thread Started by mypetsounds

>>>>>
He's a good lawyer and family man nowadays but still plays and writes quite a bit. We always talk about firing up the collaboration again now that we're old and wretched. He was a very 'pop' writer and we provoked each other into some pretty good tunes, some of which you've heard but most of which have never seen the light of day. I am tempted to do a solo album in the future featuring a few of the better ones that got lost along the way -- some of them are classics and should've been hits for other artists going back three decades and more.
>>>>>

Wow, how I'd love to hear this stuff. I really like some of the songs Gene co-wrote.

As for the guy who stated you and your songs suck, it must have been one of two things, either some j@ck@ss who thought it would be funny to screw with you, or someone who was hit too close to home with the lyrics (which are some of my all-time favorites, by The 77's or otherwise). BTW, who did write the lyrics, Dr. Love or Gene, or both?

Well, my vote has been cast - finish off the songs with Gene and then release The Magnates. Smile

One can dream...

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by mypetsounds: 06-03-2009 01:14.

05-31-2009 18:04 mypetsounds is offline Send an Email to mypetsounds Search for Posts by mypetsounds Add mypetsounds to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » Who is Gene Mascoli, and what else has he done?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH