77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » Gene Eugene/special issue with contributions from MIke Roe » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Gene Eugene/special issue with contributions from MIke Roe
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
grandeped grandeped is a male
Someone New

Registration Date: 08-20-2008
Favorite 77s album: Pray naked

Gene Eugene/special issue with contributions from MIke Roe Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Down The Line Magazine has released a special tribute issue in honor of Gene Eugene. Check it out at http://www.downthelinezine.com It is a free download with a ton of contributions from Gene's bandmates and friends as well as a bunch of rare/unreleased photos. Download, read and leave us feedback.
03-13-2009 15:02 grandeped is offline Send an Email to grandeped Homepage of grandeped Search for Posts by grandeped Add grandeped to your Buddy List
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

RE: Gene Eugene/special issue with contributions from MIke Roe Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

It's a nice piece, but the way it was edited (or should I say not edited) makes me come off like a complete moron. Grrrrr Evil

Doctor Love has attached this image (reduced version):
blufolks.jpg

03-14-2009 19:53 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-546.jpg

Registration Date: 09-30-2004
Favorite 77s album: Tom Tom Blues

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Amateur human being? Yeah.....I don't think that came out like you intended...I think we all know what you meant.......I've always kinda wondered about Gene's vices...lyrics on The Fine Line & Relapse relate very well to certain addictions...

03-14-2009 21:33 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
Doctor Love

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Well that part was not misquoted ...

Some of us are better at being people than others. Gene didn't do it well outside of the studio, because after awhile the only life he lived was in the studio. While in the Green Room working, he tended to forget that life went on outside the Green Room and that folks had lives and bills to pay and other responsibilities. Gene's life became severely lopsided, in that he over-gave of himself when working and under-gave when not (which was rare). He could be incredibly frustrating and exasperating to deal with because he was a workaholic who did not relate to things outside of work unless they were things he chose to do. He had a free-wheeling attitude towards money (especially other peoples) and just about everything else, but he was an awful lot of fun to be around as long as he didn't owe you any.

Gene and I went through a lot of crazy and intense things, and I was to find out after he passed that we had gone through far more than I knew at the time. End of that one, because I don't wish to drag up negative stuff that has long been forgiven.

It's complicated, but I/we all loved him very much and I would put up with all his crap and more to have him back again.

Doctor Love has attached this image:
93geneshem.jpg

03-15-2009 01:19 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
grandeped grandeped is a male
Someone New

Registration Date: 08-20-2008
Favorite 77s album: Pray naked

Thread Starter Thread Started by grandeped

Well, I first off want to say, I don't think you come off as a moron at all.

Please let me know where you were misquoted and I will print a correction in the next issue. It is our policy not to edit or change any direct quotes from anyone, be they good or bad quotes... not to put any words in anyone's mouth... that would be totally disrespectful. Of course, trying to go back and transcribe interviews is not always an exact science, and mistakes are made. I'm really sorry if that happened, but we will be glad to fix that.
03-16-2009 16:40 grandeped is offline Send an Email to grandeped Homepage of grandeped Search for Posts by grandeped Add grandeped to your Buddy List
steveruff steveruff is a male
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 06-09-2008
Favorite 77s album: Pray Naked

Yeah, I sincerely apologize about this not coming out in a way that you are happy with Mike... I'm not sure what you think makes you look like a moron. I did have a brand new recorder that I was using for the first time, that was why I called you back on the one question, because there was a ton of feedback for some reason on my end. I felt like I got everything direct, and on some things that I couldn't get transcribed because of the audio issues on my end, I just left out. Maybe I should have included them and just paraphrased the quotes, but then I would run the risk of misquoting...

Again, I would like to know what you don't like so we can get it corrected in the next issue. We tried to handle this issue very respectfully because it is such a sensitive thing. I know that I screwed up my own part when I said "I felt like an insider digging into a sensitive area"... I meant to write that "I felt like an outsider digging into a sensitive area". I know I make mistakes, just sorry that this one got you - any help on exactly what you are referencing?
03-16-2009 17:36 steveruff is offline Send an Email to steveruff Search for Posts by steveruff Add steveruff to your Buddy List
Doctor Love

Steve,

Sent you a private e-mail on this. It was mostly the editing style, not the content. No mis-quotes or anything. I just tend to come off inarticulate when directly quoted and need more uh ..... editorialized editing than most guys.

It's a common practice. Try listening to recorded interviews by Bono -- omg. More 'emms', 'ahhs' and 'uhhs' than just about anyone else you will ever hear. But they read brilliantly, so someone is always helping him on the back end .... Smile

Doctor Love has attached this image (reduced version):
Sunday.jpg

03-16-2009 18:29 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
steveruff steveruff is a male
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 06-09-2008
Favorite 77s album: Pray Naked

Point taken and understood. Always willing to learn. Thanks again for all your help Mike -

03-16-2009 19:26 steveruff is offline Send an Email to steveruff Search for Posts by steveruff Add steveruff to your Buddy List
Cynthia
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-483.jpg

Registration Date: 07-20-2005

Just read the article. I thought the whole thing was very well written and very helpful in getting to know Gene better, as I never knew him. I didn't really see anything that looked bad - even his mom said in the beginning to make Gene look like a real person, and that's how he was described. Good and bad. No one can relate to someone that has no human side.

03-17-2009 06:59 Cynthia is offline Search for Posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » Gene Eugene/special issue with contributions from MIke Roe

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH