77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » Favorite guitar solos » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Favorite guitar solos 2 Votes - Average Rating: 5.50
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
MarkyMark77 MarkyMark77 is a male
Drowning with Land in Sight

images/avatars/avatar-456.jpg

Registration Date: 03-24-2005
Favorite 77s album: 99

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Does the cream always rise?

I don't think so. Most of could list ten bands/singers/songwriters that never had the kind of success that their talent seemed to warrant.

But, I don't think that's the goal, either. If by "cream rising", you mean playing and recording music, and that music getting a hearing, almost anyone can do that. If by "cream rising", you mean recognition, fame and monetary gain, then, the answer is "no".

I really relate to your post, so much so that my family contemplates how best we can do the things that we're really passionate about. For me, it's church ministry and writing/recording music that I've written. We've talked about how best to do the latter so that I might be able to do it for a living some day. She loves to cook, does some great catering stuff for our church, and would love to do that as her job. Both things are in the realm of possibility, I think, because we can both do our respective passions fairly well (IMHO).

DISCLAIMER: To find out if I'm using sober judgment here, you could click the link below and hear my band, The Double Downbeats, and see if I'm as good as I think I am Big Grin . However, I'd have a tough time giving you all a sample of my wife's cooking. Crying

I really think, though, that you have to work for it. It doesn't just happen for most people in an organic sort of way, although you'd think that it would. When you live in a world where corporations decide public taste, our culture is bound to have a lost list of talented casualties whose gifts never get an airing.

quote:
I don't want my kids to be those people.

I love that you said this, because it's exactly the way I feel about my son. He's probably going to be a music guy (not forced on him by his old man, but just because he loves it so much), and I want him to have every opportunity to do that if he so chooses.

As for my kid, I'm pretty much a sucker to buy him anything musically that he wants. He has a drum set, a guitar, a keyboard, a harmonica, etc., and he's only five. He'll be getting a Kid's Fender Squier this Christmas as well. Again, I never push him, but I try to create a life for him where he has every opportunity to experiment with the stuff he really likes. I take him to band practices, and he brings his guitar. He's in Kids Choir at church. And music is his best grade at school. I think it's the only time he really pays attention. Tongue

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by MarkyMark77: 12-02-2008 10:04.

12-02-2008 10:02 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

images/avatars/avatar-381.gif

Registration Date: 11-17-2004
Favorite 77s album: The one's Mike plays guitar on

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Ok...I have been working on trying to come up with favorite guitar solos. I have determined that it's too difficult a task for me to handle.

I have been listening to "The Boat Ashore" this morning, as it's one of my all time fav's, with quite a bit of tasty guitar work in it. There in lies my difficulty. There is so much great playing on that release, that I hate to classify them as "solos." Mike has an incredible ability to fill time and space with tasty hooks, riffs, melodies, etc. I have an affinity for more of what I would consider the "atmostpheric" type stuff.

I know that Mike really loves his Taylor, but my favorite "Mike Roe guitar moments" come when he's playing an electric. It's no secret that I am a strat fanatic!

So...I am admitting defeat in trying to name my favorite Mike Roe guitar solo.

cp: FWS - "Say So Long to Your Sad Love Song"

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies
and i don't understand it"

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
12-02-2008 10:55 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
ciniree
Baby Elvis

images/avatars/avatar-518.jpg

Registration Date: 08-03-2008
Favorite 77s album: HGB

I was actually thinking about this topic somewhat yesterday. I can see what you mean though. I see artistic talent and interest in two of my children and would hope that they would use it somehow as a career someday. I've been trying to expose them to different illustrator's so they can get the idea that it is something they could do if they want to. I think that people have the tendency to think that they couldn't do that particular thing that they like - just other's can. Wether to be famous at a talent or not though probably isn't the most important thing. It's more important to do what you love and to be able to support yourself at it. If a person knew they could use their talent as a living but would not be hugely famous, do you think they'd say forget it if I can't be famous? I don't - I think they'd still do it, but being famous would be the frosting on the cake. God has given people talents and it just seems like a waste to not use them somehow.

I've been thinking about this because I've been looking for a job, but would really rather use some artistic interests that I have that I've been told I'm good at. It's scary though and discouraging thinking that you couldn't do it even before you try.

And since this is the favorite guitar solo thread, guess I should say something about that too. Big Grin Call me odd, but I like the acoustic solos the best. I will never cease to be memorized by how one person can make so many different sounds and melodies come out of one guitar at the same time. It's amazing and so beautiful. And I also like the "50's Rock n Roll" electric solos - "Boogie woogie" - love those too.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by ciniree: 12-02-2008 11:08.

12-02-2008 11:00 ciniree is offline Send an Email to ciniree Search for Posts by ciniree Add ciniree to your Buddy List
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

She Was Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yes, that was me 'strumming' before the solo -- this is one of my favorite pieces of playing over the years. Very Garcia-influenced, and it was cut only a few months before he passed : (

This recording will always stand out because at the tracking session, drummer Chris Dodds could not play this straight beat to save his life. He idolized Mel Gaynor (Simple Minds) and guys like that and could do all that technical crap, but when it came down to doing a simple bass-snare-bass-snare pattern, it was beyond him.

As you might imagine, this frustrated everyone on the date -- myself, the band, and the engineer, ALL of which took turns sitting at his kit and playing the part perfectly. Not being one to be humiliated by any of this, Chris forced himself and played the shit out of the part after about an hour of everyone in the room doing it for him to show him how. When he finally nailed it, he stood up on his drum throne, pointed himself away from the control room, pulled down his pants and spread his ass cheeks so wide I thought he would split himself open, and showed us all what it was like.

The engineer put his head down on the console and claimed he had not seen anything like this in all his years of recording. The worst part of all this is that when I joined Love Coma onstage at Cornerstone about a month later and we got to this song in the set, Chris could STILL not play the part.

God knows I love him Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by Kit
Roe's got some cool guitar work on the Love Coma song, "She Was". You can hear a 30 second snippet of it if you go to the below link and click on "She Was" in the selection of tracks available for purchase. Mike's guitar work begins at the 0:18 mark in the sample (actually, he could have been strumming before that too, but I think it's just Chris). Mike pretty much solos on the parts all throughout the song where Chris isn't singing. Anyways, good stuff. It's a shame more people haven't heard it.

http://www.myspace.com/officialchristaylormusic
12-02-2008 11:29 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
Ron E Ron E is a male

images/avatars/avatar-294.gif

Registration Date: 05-19-2005
Favorite 77s album: Sticks and Stones

quote:
Originally posted by MarkyMark77
quote:
Does the cream always rise?

I don't think so. Most of could list ten bands/singers/songwriters that never had the kind of success that their talent seemed to warrant.

But, I don't think that's the goal, either. If by "cream rising", you mean playing and recording music, and that music getting a hearing, almost anyone can do that. If by "cream rising", you mean recognition, fame and monetary gain, then, the answer is "no".

I really relate to your post, so much so that my family contemplates how best we can do the things that we're really passionate about. For me, it's church ministry and writing/recording music that I've written. We've talked about how best to do the latter so that I might be able to do it for a living some day. She loves to cook, does some great catering stuff for our church, and would love to do that as her job. Both things are in the realm of possibility, I think, because we can both do our respective passions fairly well (IMHO).

DISCLAIMER: To find out if I'm using sober judgment here, you could click the link below and hear my band, The Double Downbeats, and see if I'm as good as I think I am Big Grin . However, I'd have a tough time giving you all a sample of my wife's cooking. Crying

I really think, though, that you have to work for it. It doesn't just happen for most people in an organic sort of way, although you'd think that it would. When you live in a world where corporations decide public taste, our culture is bound to have a lost list of talented casualties whose gifts never get an airing.

quote:
I don't want my kids to be those people.

I love that you said this, because it's exactly the way I feel about my son. He's probably going to be a music guy (not forced on him by his old man, but just because he loves it so much), and I want him to have every opportunity to do that if he so chooses.

As for my kid, I'm pretty much a sucker to buy him anything musically that he wants. He has a drum set, a guitar, a keyboard, a harmonica, etc., and he's only five. He'll be getting a Kid's Fender Squier this Christmas as well. Again, I never push him, but I try to create a life for him where he has every opportunity to experiment with the stuff he really likes. I take him to band practices, and he brings his guitar. He's in Kids Choir at church. And music is his best grade at school. I think it's the only time he really pays attention. Tongue

I guess I have a mixed post there. I suppose you can be a happy custodian but loving your music and ability to create. I guess its creativity and the ability to produce things, if only for themselves that I'm looking.

12-02-2008 11:32 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

Does the cream always rise? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Doctor's does Big Grin

Seriously, this is a heavy post and I don't have the answers. God gives talents and gifts. Some folks get to use 'em, some don't, some bury them and others play them out. It's a crazy mixed-up world and my heart breaks for the waste that goes on in the realm of gifts and gifting, my own included (although I do a fair amount of wasting of my talent myself no thanks to the devil or anyone else -- in spite of what I have managed to get done and utilize, you guys have no idea how much I waste of what I have been given ..... no idea at all .....)

All I know for sure is that we have been reminded an awful lot in scripture that all the above only goes so far and means so much. In the end, it is and will continue to be about the Giver, not the gifts or the given. This is a hard saying -- who can hear it?

Fortunately Ron, you can do a few things to make sure your kids don't end up like the folks you mentioned. In the end, they and their circumstances will decide, but when we pray hopefully we get to get in there and mess with some of that, God willing. At least that's what I believe and continue to hope. My daughter is at a crucial stage and it's what keeps me going.

quote:
Originally posted by Ron E
As a Daddy, how do you encourage the kind of talent being talked about? Bruce, the drummer, picks up (figuratively) the keyboard and plays an imaginary guitar riff. The guitarist then copies it. I know there has to be some kind of inner talent, but I really believe there have been a lot of amazing talents that died breathing coal dust, sweeping buildings, or worse as politicians because they never got to try anything amazing. I don't want my kids to be those people.

Am I wrong? Does the cream always rise?

Doctor Love has attached this image (reduced version):
big hole.jpg

12-02-2008 11:40 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
Ron E Ron E is a male

images/avatars/avatar-294.gif

Registration Date: 05-19-2005
Favorite 77s album: Sticks and Stones

RE: Does the cream always rise? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Love
This is a hard saying -- who can hear it?

Fortunately Ron, you can do a few things to make sure your kids don't end up like the folks you mentioned. In the end, they and their circumstances will decide, but when we pray hopefully we get to get in there and mess with some of that, God willing. At least that's what I believe and continue to hope. My daughter is at a crucial stage and it's what keeps me going.

[/quote]

Thank you, Mike. I was thinking of your recent post regarding your own daughter as I was reading your response too, I was glad to see you mention her. It means you still have hopes and dreams, and that gives me the same, though my oldest is only approaching 13 now.

I've hijacked, get the ax back out and fire it up!

12-02-2008 14:23 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List
ciniree
Baby Elvis

images/avatars/avatar-518.jpg

Registration Date: 08-03-2008
Favorite 77s album: HGB

RE: Does the cream always rise? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Love
In the end, it is and will continue to be about the Giver, not the gifts or the given.

Not trying to be a suck up, or anything like that - but this is one of the best things ever said and I really appreciate it.
12-03-2008 06:37 ciniree is offline Send an Email to ciniree Search for Posts by ciniree Add ciniree to your Buddy List
me-is-e

images/avatars/avatar-215.jpg

Registration Date: 03-14-2006
Favorite 77s album: the one I'm listening to

OK, I came here to make a note about Mike's guitar solos and forgot about the 'new subject' this thread had taken on. I'd honestly gotten depressed on the first read so left without posting. I'd been walking out of some of some disappointments with career and work over the last few years and been planning to return to school, make sure I could do some decent work in a job I might do some good in and be somewhat good, if not talented at. Maybe even be brave enough to start using whatever artistic skills I might have and share that in some way. With the current health and medical situations that have hit, most of my time is being spent on that. Some days I do wonder if I'll 'do the things I was meant to do' or 'be used as I was intended to be'. I'm trying to be opptimistic and get through the current situations and work to the hopefully better things that can come in the future. Not to get all negative or seem in a pity party type of mood, the idea of 'reaching your dream' some days seems impossible. There are a lot of ideas I try to keep in mind for that though and at least stay a bit optimistic.

On an even more positive and important note, I have the same thoughts and hope for our 5 year old daughter. She has her own dreams and talents she's trying to express even now. I'm hoping to at least be part of providing some of the opportunities and encouragement for those to flurish. Sounds like a lot of parents here are doing the same!

Pardon the random thoughts and possible ranting. Thanks. Smile

12-09-2008 15:25 me-is-e is offline Send an Email to me-is-e Homepage of me-is-e Search for Posts by me-is-e Add me-is-e to your Buddy List
me-is-e

images/avatars/avatar-215.jpg

Registration Date: 03-14-2006
Favorite 77s album: the one I'm listening to

Now for thoughts on the original topic.

I'd been avoiding posting since I'm in same boat as the thoughts below. Just too much I love from Doc Love to separate the playing down to solos.

Then I decided to listen to 'direct' today. I have say 'Lifeline' in incredible and that one would be just and example of the kind of guitar work and 'soloing' I love most from Mike Roe.

Fine example there!

quote:
Originally posted by 77 bc
Ok...I have been working on trying to come up with favorite guitar solos. I have determined that it's too difficult a task for me to handle.

I have been listening to "The Boat Ashore" this morning, as it's one of my all time fav's, with quite a bit of tasty guitar work in it. There in lies my difficulty. There is so much great playing on that release, that I hate to classify them as "solos." Mike has an incredible ability to fill time and space with tasty hooks, riffs, melodies, etc. I have an affinity for more of what I would consider the "atmostpheric" type stuff.

I know that Mike really loves his Taylor, but my favorite "Mike Roe guitar moments" come when he's playing an electric. It's no secret that I am a strat fanatic!

So...I am admitting defeat in trying to name my favorite Mike Roe guitar solo.

cp: FWS - "Say So Long to Your Sad Love Song"

12-09-2008 15:29 me-is-e is offline Send an Email to me-is-e Homepage of me-is-e Search for Posts by me-is-e Add me-is-e to your Buddy List
freak freak is a male
Unbalanced

Registration Date: 05-28-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning With Land In Sight

lifeline is exceptional - the whole thing - but the outro never fails to kick my @ss

I heard it repeatedly back in the day after I ambushed the 2002 product c-stone table and listened to direct almost exclusively commuting from Galesburg to Bushnell every afternoon and EARLY mornings... and that disc is amazing - it still sounds so fresh and perfect to my ears - and for me Lifeline stands out.

I also dig the guitar work on Woody, Film At 11, Jig is Up, Rocks in Your Head, Outskirts, Flowers in the Sand, Deliverance, Unbalanced, Rise, Leaving, Begin, the aforementioned Lifeline and who could forget:
falling down a hole, Ping Pong over..., ba ba ba, mercy mercy, pearls before swine, Bottom Line (I love that sweet tone!) and God Sends Quail

I should mention that some of these are chosen based on live performance memories that get transfered to "how I hear it on vinyl or my computer speakers"

peace.

~f

Dennis, the Dr. Rich, for Blackboard President
12-11-2008 04:08 freak is offline Send an Email to freak Search for Posts by freak Add freak to your Buddy List
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

images/avatars/avatar-381.gif

Registration Date: 11-17-2004
Favorite 77s album: The one's Mike plays guitar on

this is driving me crazy... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

ok...I am going to attempt a compromise on this one...

I shall attempt to make a favorite guitar solo selection from each recording that I have, involving Mike on guitar.

I know that Mike listed "Run Rudolph Run" as one of his fav's. I haven't heard a version that I like more than the 77's version, either. My wife just picked up the Los Lonely Boys Christmas disc, and they covered it, but I must say....the 77's version is much better.

Now...my favorite guitar work on the "Happy Chrimbo" recording is probably on "What Child is This" (surprise surprise, heh heh)

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies
and i don't understand it"

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
12-14-2008 19:34 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » Favorite guitar solos

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH