77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » CD & DVD Reviews » The 77s - Holy Ghost Building » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (9): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page The 77s - Holy Ghost Building 4 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Big Jim Big Jim is a male
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 08-22-2005
Favorite 77s album: Holy Ghost Building

Thumb Up! Hgb!! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

First of all, let me say that I'm envious of those that have or will see the 77's live for this tour. Kudos to you folks - wish I could have been there, esp. @ C-stone...

HGB - the whole thing rocks, plain and simple! I got my copy on Tuesday (good turnaround) and have been spinning it at every opportunity, much to the chagrin of my wife (my wife does like some of it and my boys do dig it!) :^) So far, I don't think it's going too far to say it's definitely in my top two for 77's albums. Every track is great and the musicianship is stellar on each one. The guitars, bass and drums - all awesome. Hearing Mike's work on "Refuge" just blows me away - incredible! The harmonizing (sorry for the pun) is great on several tracks, esp. "What would you give in exchange for your soul?" "I'm Working on a Building" and "Keep your lamps..." both groove! But I already knew that b/c I had taken several sneak listens on myspace. "Stranger Won't you Change your sinful ways" - if I'm not mistaken, this classic was penned by fellow friend/musician Steve Scott (Lost Horizon)??!! This is an awesome tune! "I'll Remember You, Love, In my Prayers" - Mike out-Keiths Keith Richards on this one! Rockin' tune to say the least. "You're Gonna Be Sorry" - great groove - vocals sung along to some of the lead guitar, like in "Nobody's Fault But Mine". Things are slowed down a notch with "He's a mighty good leader" - great acoustic guitar playing and vocals here on this one. "When my Blue Turns to Gold Again" sounds like it came right out of the Sun studio sessions - nice vocals and guitar playing - very cool. "Everybody ought to pray sometime" - fun song - I know this isn't what Mike was going for, but for some reason I envision Adam Sandler singing that song based on the delivery of some of the lines. I understand it is faithful to the original, so with this one (as well as the others), I will try to find and listen to the originals - Mike Beidler said he was going to find the originals on itunes (make it a 77's tribute) and that sounds like an excellent idea... The new 77's tune "A Lifetime without You" is a jangly pop tune, a sad tune that leaves us wanting more (since it is the last track on this gem of an album). Very emotive tune, even if the writer calls himself an f'in dunce. Shocked Tongue We've all been there...

Thanks to the 77's for an awesome achievement Cool - I hope this album garners all the recognition it deserves... Looking forward to hearing the reports about C-stone!

~Jim O'Dell
07-05-2008 20:41 Big Jim is offline Send an Email to Big Jim Homepage of Big Jim Search for Posts by Big Jim Add Big Jim to your Buddy List
Nailtatt Nailtatt is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-212.jpg

Registration Date: 05-28-2004
Favorite 77s album: Sticks and Stones

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I got the disc today!!!!! Naturally I spun it IMMEDIATELY! I love it! Every song is excellent! I dig the last song but admit it almost feels out of place on this particular album but I am glad it's there that's for **** sure!!!!!!

Once again the fellas come through with flying colors not that I expected anything less! I love you guys and thanks for another great piece of ear candy!!!!!!

07-06-2008 00:02 Nailtatt is offline Send an Email to Nailtatt Search for Posts by Nailtatt Add Nailtatt to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Nailtatt
pmac pmac is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-251.jpg

Registration Date: 07-25-2006
Favorite 77s album: Drowning With Land in Sight

RE: Hgb!! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Big Jim
"Everybody ought to pray sometime" - fun song - I know this isn't what Mike was going for, but for some reason I envision Adam Sandler singing that song based on the delivery of some of the lines.

Hey Big Jim - you're close to ruining that song for me with that comment!

I love this album. I've tended to be more of a Dog's fan than the 77s (probably in the minority on that count), but I'm really enjoying this CD. I suppose because it feels more bluesy, with bits of country and bluegrass... more, I think, than other 77s discs.

Can't pick a standout, enjoying them all. Although A Lifetime Without You - while good - seems out of place with the rest.
07-06-2008 21:16 pmac is offline Send an Email to pmac Search for Posts by pmac Add pmac to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of pmac: pmcnamara@mac.com View the MSN Profile for pmac
nick nick is a male
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 12-02-2004

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

A lifetime without you reminds me of something off of fun w/ sound which isn't a bad thing!!! I love this CD and it is now in my top fav Cds of the 7s. The concert was stellar also. More to come later....
07-07-2008 04:14 nick is offline Send an Email to nick Search for Posts by nick Add nick to your Buddy List
Big Jim Big Jim is a male
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 08-22-2005

RE: Hgb!! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by pmac
Hey Big Jim - you're close to ruining that song for me with that comment!

Sorry PMAC - please forget I said anything then! I love this song! Must get this out of my head! I do think Adam Sandler is funny sometimes, but he has no place singing a 77's song (even if it is in my head!) Smile

quote:
I love this album. I've tended to be more of a Dog's fan than the 77s (probably in the minority on that count), but I'm really enjoying this CD. I suppose because it feels more bluesy, with bits of country and bluegrass... more, I think, than other 77s discs.

Can't pick a standout, enjoying them all. Although A Lifetime Without You - while good - seems out of place with the rest.

Yeah, that's cool - I like the 77's and the Lost Dogs, but for different reasons. I'm hard pressed to pick a standout as well - it really is ALL GOOD. This CD does bring in all those influences you mention and is a GREAT concept. I understand what you're saying about "A Lifetime Without You" - doesn't really fit in with the theme of the entire album, but I think is a good tune nonetheless... I think of it as a nice bonus tune...
07-07-2008 09:55 Big Jim is offline Send an Email to Big Jim Homepage of Big Jim Search for Posts by Big Jim Add Big Jim to your Buddy List
God-rules God-rules is a male
Happy Roy

Registration Date: 06-03-2004

I haven't actually listened to it yet......But of course I saw Mike perform it solo last month, got the whole band feel at the Gallery, saw Mike do another cut or two solo, then saw a couple tracks on the mainstage. Sorry, the disc can't come close Red Face

Tongue not trying to rub it in..........

Michaelmaybetomorrow

I'm gonna put my carbon footprint right up a greenies lactose intolerant hind end! - squidzit 2008
07-07-2008 10:37 God-rules is offline Send an Email to God-rules Search for Posts by God-rules Add God-rules to your Buddy List
God-rules God-rules is a male
Happy Roy

Registration Date: 06-03-2004

Oops BTW, welcome guys, haven't seen you around previously (either much or at all)

Glad you took time to post. Now you can come down to the off-topic area and play with the "big dogs" Happy

Michaelwelcomeagain

I'm gonna put my carbon footprint right up a greenies lactose intolerant hind end! - squidzit 2008
07-07-2008 10:39 God-rules is offline Send an Email to God-rules Search for Posts by God-rules Add God-rules to your Buddy List
Chesterdox Chesterdox is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-198.jpg

Registration Date: 06-05-2006

Hey Big Jim, I thought the exact same thing about Adam Sandler... I actually pictured him singing it. I was gonna post the same thing but thought I would be the only one who heard it that way! Tongue

That said, it doesn't even come close to ruining it for me. Great tune, great performance.

07-07-2008 10:39 Chesterdox is offline Send an Email to Chesterdox Homepage of Chesterdox Search for Posts by Chesterdox Add Chesterdox to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Chesterdox: none YIM Account Name of Chesterdox: none View the MSN Profile for Chesterdox
pmac pmac is a male
Someone New

quote:
Originally posted by God-rules
Oops BTW, welcome guys, haven't seen you around previously (either much or at all)

Glad you took time to post. Now you can come down to the off-topic area and play with the "big dogs" Happy

Michaelwelcomeagain

Thanks for the welcome, G-R. Hopefully will make more time to participate. Been following the 77s off and on for years, since reading a review of Drowning... in True Tunes News. Which I still have sitting on a shelf - 1994? Where has the time gone?!?

Shocked
07-07-2008 19:50 pmac is offline Send an Email to pmac Search for Posts by pmac Add pmac to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of pmac: pmcnamara@mac.com View the MSN Profile for pmac
pmac pmac is a male
Someone New

quote:
Originally posted by Big Jim
I'm hard pressed to pick a standout as well - it really is ALL GOOD.

Yep. I know it's a winner when my kids are already playing air guitar and singing along to some of it, after only a couple listens. Even my 13 year old daughter, whose musical tastes are starting to turn towards some real crappola...

Roll Eyes
07-07-2008 19:58 pmac is offline Send an Email to pmac Search for Posts by pmac Add pmac to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of pmac: pmcnamara@mac.com View the MSN Profile for pmac
Joey T.
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-188.jpg

Registration Date: 05-28-2004
Location: "i find your lack of faith disturbing.."- darth vader

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

it's finally here and it's fabulous! Cool Cool Cool Pleased Pleased

(about the only review i can give after only a couple spins......... Red Face )

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

facebook
07-09-2008 12:24 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005
Someone New

I know this is way premature, but I sure hope there's a sequel to HGB. I'm sure there's enough material to do it again.

I wondered how good the concept was before the album was finished & released, and now that I've heard & re-heard it many times (my wife is starting to roll her eyes at me when I try to put it on in the car Tongue ), I still think it's their best album yet.

07-09-2008 13:33 Chesterdox is offline Send an Email to Chesterdox Homepage of Chesterdox Search for Posts by Chesterdox Add Chesterdox to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Chesterdox: none YIM Account Name of Chesterdox: none View the MSN Profile for Chesterdox
dennis
Happy Roy

images/avatars/avatar-487.jpg

Registration Date: 10-03-2004
Favorite 77s album: "88"

quote:
Originally posted by Joey T.
it's finally here and it's fabulous! Cool Cool Cool Pleased Pleased

(about the only review i can give after only a couple spins......... Red Face )

Yes. Yes it is! Big Grin
07-09-2008 18:17 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Skevin Skevin is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-492.jpg

Registration Date: 07-15-2006
Favorite 77s album: Sticks & Stones

HGB to me is the best album they've ever done, musically. And maybe the best all around. I'm impressed with how they took a bunch of songs they didn't write and made them sound like their own. If anyone's listened to any tribute albums you know this is a hard task but the 77's nailed it.

I love how this record was recorded "live in studio" and this makes Dr. Love's guitar playing on "You're Gonna Be Sorry" even more impressive. Truth is, I can't skip a track and I can't seem to eject it from my cd player. And it's been a while since any album's done that. Last was "Illinoise" by Sufjan I think.

I remember the album title nomination thread and I was thinking, "I hope their next album is "Ear fashion for the blind". So I nominated it. And even though they didn't choose that title, it certainly is.
07-11-2008 11:26 Skevin is offline Send an Email to Skevin Search for Posts by Skevin Add Skevin to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Skevin: k7t7
Cynthia
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-483.jpg

Registration Date: 07-20-2005

quote:
Originally posted by Skevin
HGB to me is the best album they've ever done, musically. And maybe the best all around. I'm impressed with how they took a bunch of songs they didn't write and made them sound like their own. If anyone's listened to any tribute albums you know this is a hard task but the 77's nailed it.

That's one of the things I'm the most amazed with too. It's got to take a great deal of talent to change the tune of so many songs and not have any of them on the album sound like the other on the album. If I tried that I know it'd be the some melody over and over for each song. I've always been amazed by how they were able to change "It's So Sad". To be able to take the original song and completely redo the melody for the Mutt album, has got to just take an incredible amount of talent.

07-11-2008 11:54 Cynthia is offline Search for Posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your Buddy List
Someone New

Bruce & Mark do the Jordanaires proud on Blue Moon.

Buh-dup-buh-dup, Buh-dup-buh-dup, Buh-dup-buh-dup, Buh-dup-buh-dup-buuuuhhh...

07-14-2008 09:26 Chesterdox is offline Send an Email to Chesterdox Homepage of Chesterdox Search for Posts by Chesterdox Add Chesterdox to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Chesterdox: none YIM Account Name of Chesterdox: none View the MSN Profile for Chesterdox
snowblind snowblind is a male
Unbalanced

images/avatars/avatar-404.gif

Registration Date: 03-28-2006
Favorite 77s album: Sticks and Stones

quote:
Originally posted by Marti
quote:
Originally posted by larryl
my 9 yr old, who has never cared about dad's music, suddenly wants a copy of this........ Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

My 20-year-old wants a copy of this album, and will probably get one for his birthday. He was vastly impressed and is 110% 77s fan after the show last night.

I bought a copy for my 66 year old father at the Atlanta show. He's never been a 77's fan, but he loves that old rockabilly stuff from the 50s, so I played a couple of cuts off it the day of the show. He says he really likes it....

Now, I keep waiting for the inevitable question, "what is an 'effin' dunce'?"

07-15-2008 12:22 snowblind is offline Send an Email to snowblind Homepage of snowblind Search for Posts by snowblind Add snowblind to your Buddy List
Pharmjimmy Pharmjimmy is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-486.gif

Registration Date: 05-10-2008
Favorite 77s album: 88

My 75 y/o Father was able to make it to the John the Baptist tour. It was so funny b/c he hated my music when I was growing up "Doing it For Love".

Dad was very impressed with Mike and loved all the songs. He unfortunatelly wasn't able to make the Holy Ghost Building Concert here in Rock Island because he passed away three weeks prior to show.

He was truly blessed by the music. What a great memory to have.

to•ma•to ef•fect\n, 1: a term coined in medicine meaning the rejection of effective medical treatments because they conflict with currently accepted medical theories; 2: the tomato was not eaten in the U.S. until 1820... thought to be poisonous.
07-15-2008 15:53 Pharmjimmy is offline Send an Email to Pharmjimmy Homepage of Pharmjimmy Search for Posts by Pharmjimmy Add Pharmjimmy to your Buddy List
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

great pic Chesterdetox! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Don't forget Doctor, who's one of the Ordinaires also !! ~~ and check out your namesake 'ol Chester Atkins leanin' in on rhythm guitar Happy

quote:
Originally posted by Chesterdox
Bruce & Mark do the Jordanaires proud on Blue Moon.

Buh-dup-buh-dup, Buh-dup-buh-dup, Buh-dup-buh-dup, Buh-dup-buh-dup-buuuuhhh...

07-15-2008 23:16 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
dennis
Happy Roy

images/avatars/avatar-487.jpg

Registration Date: 10-03-2004
Favorite 77s album: "88"

RE: great pic Chesterdetox! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Love
Don't forget Doctor, who's one of the Ordinaires also !! ~~ and check out your namesake 'ol Chester Atkins leanin' in on rhythm guitar Happy

Mr Atkins is the coolest one in the room! Pleased
07-16-2008 03:12 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Pages (9): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » CD & DVD Reviews » The 77s - Holy Ghost Building

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH