77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » Concert Reviews & Photos » 77's/Strawmen - Eugene, Or. July 24th 2004 » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page 77's/Strawmen - Eugene, Or. July 24th 2004 4 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Nailtatt Nailtatt is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-212.jpg

Registration Date: 05-28-2004
Favorite 77s album: Sticks and Stones

77's/Strawmen - Eugene, Or. July 24th 2004 Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I just wanted to get this thread going. I will be posting a full review later on today!

07-26-2004 06:00 Nailtatt is offline Send an Email to Nailtatt Search for Posts by Nailtatt Add Nailtatt to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Nailtatt
rob 3.0 rob 3.0 is a male
Radioactive Crow

images/avatars/avatar-180.gif

Favorite 77s album: Drowning With Land in Sight

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

you're such a tease Crying

Was I ever on the inside?
07-26-2004 09:28 rob 3.0 is offline Send an Email to rob 3.0 Homepage of rob 3.0 Search for Posts by rob 3.0 Add rob 3.0 to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of rob 3.0: digitalrob3 YIM Account Name of rob 3.0: flashfan77 View the MSN Profile for rob 3.0
freek freek is a male
Mr. Magoo

Registration Date: 06-09-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning With Land In Sight

just the beginning Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I didn't get the Strawmen set list... I will just post a set list - let some of the others who attended give there thoughts, reviews and reflections - there are a TON of pics - and they will get up soon...

I will add my pics later this week!

here is the 77's Set List... a couple of cool suprises!!

Perfect Blues
Rocks In Your Head
Related
Quails
You Walked in the Room
Happy Roy
Kites Without Strings
Bottom Line
Jig Is Up
Go With God
Unbalanced
Nobody's Fault But Mine

Encore
Pray Naked
The Lust

Encore 2
Dave's Blues

07-26-2004 09:41 freek is offline Send an Email to freek Search for Posts by freek Add freek to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of freek: doug77@mac.com
TaylorJeff TaylorJeff is a male
Praying Naked

RE: just the beginning Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by freek
I didn't get the Strawmen set list... I will just post a set list - let some of the others who attended give there thoughts, reviews and reflections - there are a TON of pics - and they will get up soon...

I will add my pics later this week!

here is the 77's Set List... a couple of cool suprises!!

Perfect Blues
Rocks In Your Head
Related
Quails
You Walked in the Room
Happy Roy
Kites Without Strings
Bottom Line
Jig Is Up
Go With God
Unbalanced
Nobody's Fault But Mine

Encore
Pray Naked
The Lust

Encore 2
Dave's Blues

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

That is a friggin' AWESOME set list. So many good songs. Especially the ones I thought they'd never play live like Quails and You Walked in the Room.

They need to tour again.

Spent of all my strength, relying on Yours
07-26-2004 10:16 TaylorJeff is offline Homepage of TaylorJeff Search for Posts by TaylorJeff Add TaylorJeff to your Buddy List
lam77s

Registration Date: 05-29-2004

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

As usual, I posted on the wrong thread. I'll do-over here!

==================

I don't know where to start. Maybe from the beginning? This is going to take awhile, so forgive me if I start and back up and re-start.

First of all, I want to say THANK YOU to the bands and all the fans who made this a night to remember. I could never have dreamed this would turn into such a super party--beyond ALL expectations on my part.

I looked at my cell phone minutes last night and I figure I was on the phone for over 2-1/2 hrs throughout the weekend. My battery was almost dead by 4:00 p.m. Saturday (after a recharge over Friday night).

Everything was going very smoothly when I left the house on Saturday morning. I got to Portland just fine, except I kept missing calls from people (including Mike) because the volume on my car stereo was turned up too high (a natural occurrence on my part). The flight arrived a little early and we got there just ahead of the guys, so smooth beginning.

This is where it gets interesting.

I had Mike, Bruce and David in the car with me. Bill, Mark and their families were in another vehicle. We're just driving along, air conditioner on full blast (which is the only setting that works in my car) and everybody's settled in for a nice ride to Eugene.

Then all of a sudden, Mike says, "Hey, where'd the AC go? It's blowing hot air." We all look at the dials and OMG!!!! the temp gauge is all the way over on EXTRA EXTREMELY ALMOST CANNOT GET ANY HIGHER HOTTTT!!

We all stare at it like it's going to go down any second, but it doesn't. Somebody suggests turning on the heat. I'd heard that works, too, so we try it. Does it work? NO! The temp guage goes HIGHER! So, we turn that off and pull off the freeway into the first place to park, which is a music store parking lot, just as the oil light comes on.

Meanwhile, Bruce is saying stuff like, "It's dumping oil, man." "I think you've blown a head gasket, man." Encouraging things like that. Mike says, "Don't stress her out." Yeah, Please.

We get out of the car and it's steaming/smoking...I don't know. I pop the hood and the three guys are staring into it like they're mechanics, all trying to diagnose the situation. I figured I'd leave them alone and go call AAA...somebody who can really help me. Wink

It takes forever to get them on the phone. Meanwhile, Brett (who has all the guitars, luggage, etc in his car) is willing to drive me to a car rental place close by. I'm still on hold with AAA as we drive off, leaving Mike, Bruce and David heading into the music store.

We get to the first car rental place and they're all closed up today, head out for the next place and they're closed today, too. That means we're going back to the airport.

I call 411 on my cell phone and line up a car at Hertz for more money than I want to spend (but they wouldn't take payment over the phone), but at least we have a car. We get to the airport and the Hertz line is way too long, so I see that the Budget line is the shortest. I'm going there. I walk directly up to the counter and the gal tells me they have no cars available and points to a sign that I didn't see. I start to walk away and she calls out, "Oh, they just changed the sign...let me look." I get a nice Nissan Altima for $10 less than the Hertz quote and I'm on my way (after taking a few minutes to try to figure out how to turn the windshield wipers off).

I couldn't get any cell service while at the rental car counter (in a parking garage) so I call Mike to say we're good to go. He tells me the AAA guy has come and gone. NO! They weren't supposed to be there yet. Oh, well. Whatever.

I call Brett and tell him what's happened. He calls me back a little while later and tells me he just drove by the parking lot and the AAA guy is there. I'm about 2 minutes behind him and I manage to get there while the AAA guy is still there. I practically throw my key at him, we throw all the stuff that I have in my car into the rental and we're on our way.

We're not too far behind schedule because I'd planned to go to the hotel first to check the guys in. That will have to wait. Traffic wasn't too bad until we come up on an accident, but that didn't take too long to pass.

We end up only being 1/2 hour late for the sound check.

to be continued......
07-26-2004 13:53 lam77s is offline Send an Email to lam77s Search for Posts by lam77s Add lam77s to your Buddy List
Rocks in your Head

Thread Starter Thread Started by Nailtatt

OK Here goes my review:

We arrived on Friday the 23rd and hooked up with BD, and Freek and go get some brews and some Dr. Pepper. BD procedes to piss our waitress off for no reason really and she immediately drops an F-Bomb on him! It was hilarious! Big Grin Shortly after we got there at the establishment Eddie rolled in and we all hung out until dinner time with Linda and her husband Glenn. It was a very good time. "Baxter" showed up at the dinner a little late with his son and it was a very good time at dinner and then hanging at the hotel.

Saturday the 24th:

We all met for breakfast and then Eddie took us down to the local "Hippy Market". We hung there for quite awhile bought some junk and had a good time. We left, got cleaned up and headed to the W.O.W hall for the concert of a lifetime. We naturally got there a little early and hung for awhile out back where we were kindly offered a lit up fatty (joint) by some locals who told us we looked like we needed it! Shocked So we all took a big hit and................................................

..................just kidding but anyway we told him thanks but no! Eleanor did try to get a contact high however! Finally the doors open and we file in! The Strawmen took the stage and ripped it up! They were absolutely incredible. It surpassed my expectations of them bigtime! And let me say that if you do not have their newest CD.........Well GET IT!!!!!!!!!! Very good stuff!!!!!!!!!!! I bought it and Bill Harmon was gracious enough to sign the CD and was very easy to talk to and hang with.

INTERMISSION

It was now time for the 77's!!!!! Cool They BLEW THE FRICKEN DOORS off the place. It was OFF THE HOOK!!!! You saw the set list above posted by freek. It was all of that and more. Mike and the guys were quite humorous in between songs and right on during the songs. Mike Roe is an absolutely great showman, musician, writer , and anything else you can think of also. He tore the guitar up and played a mean harmonica at the beggining of "Nobody's Fault". Mark Harmon has an incredible looking 5 string bass that he knows like the back of his hand. Bruce Spencer was tearing up the skins on his drum set! He played VERY clean and VERY crisp. They came out for 2 encores and were very very awesome. It was truly THEE highlight of my concert experiences! After the show we got the chance to talk a little with David Leonhardt and he was gracious in signing anything that we brought to him. He would not sign anything until he introduced himself. A very kind man. We then found Mark Harmon and he was the exact same way. Very talkative and truly grateful for ALL 77's/Strawmen fans. He made you feel like you were the star instead of them! Bruce Spencer was equally as kind and even more talkative. He sat down and signed away. As he was signing he was commenting on the CD's and how much he enjoyed making them or what his favorite ones were. Tom Tom Blues is one of his favorites! He also wanted to know who the heck came up with international 77's week. He thought that was hilarious!!!!! Both Mark and Bruce wanted to know our screen names. Mark also commented that the "Not going to Eugene support Group" thread was quite amusing as well. We then caught up with Mike Roe who looked rather tired but did take the time to sign our CD's and Baxters arm!

One of the highlights of the nite was when I noticed a snare drum head laying on the bench that lines the WOW hall wall up by the stage. Bruce had changed the head out between the Strawmen and Sevens show. I saw Bruce walk by it so I grab it, ran out to him and asked him if he wanted it. He said no that I could have it so I asked him to sign it. He was happy to. I told him that I played drums but it had been awhile so he said he would make it my drumming inspiration head and told me to get back into it. He signed it as follows: 'Thanks Darryn! Heres your "Personal Drumming Inspiration Head"........ Rock Hard! Bruce'

HOW FRICKEN COOL IS THAT?!!!!

We then all went to dinner with the band and some of there family and friends. Mike Roe bummed a few pieces from our table. (WHICH THERE WAS PLENTY........BAXTER!) Bruce brought some veggy pizza to our table and then told us if we ate all of ours we would not have to pay! He said we should be able to since we were all big guys!

I would also like to say that Linda & Glenn Miller really were outstanding and deserve HUGE PROPS for the show and really the entire weekend. I hope that in someway they get blessed by this whole thing because it was incredible!

Another highlight was meeting some of you from this here MB! I was lucky enought to meet freek, BD, Eddie, Baxter ( and his son), and Joey T, and don't forget El! Roll Eyes I had a great time with all these dudes and can now truly consider them my friends. It was a VERY complete weekend and I hope it can happen again. I will get pictures of mine up soon

Darryn

07-26-2004 15:29 Nailtatt is offline Send an Email to Nailtatt Search for Posts by Nailtatt Add Nailtatt to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Nailtatt
j100xtraII
unregistered
RE: 77's/Strawmen - Eugene, Or. July 24th 2004 Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Here is a shot of both set lists.

07-26-2004 15:59
j100xtraII
unregistered
RE: 77's/Strawmen - Eugene, Or. July 24th 2004 Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Here is a shot of Mike's pedal board for the guitar geeks among us. Myself included. Cool

07-26-2004 17:34
Dreamlands Dreamlands is a male
Someone New

Registration Date: 06-12-2004

Oh, yeah! Thanks Iam, Nail and others for bringing it to us here.
07-26-2004 19:04 Dreamlands is offline Send an Email to Dreamlands Search for Posts by Dreamlands Add Dreamlands to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Dreamlands: vision170
Rocks in your Head

Thread Starter Thread Started by Nailtatt

quote:
Originally posted by Dreamlands
Oh, yeah! Thanks Iam, Nail and others for bringing it to us here.

Believe you me! The pleasure was ALL mine! Big Grin

07-26-2004 22:37 Nailtatt is offline Send an Email to Nailtatt Search for Posts by Nailtatt Add Nailtatt to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Nailtatt
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Registration Date: 06-01-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning with Land in Sight

Hey, Iam! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

There's a question for you down in the prayin' for Eugene thread.

07-27-2004 04:51 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
Johnny Johnny is a male
Someone New

Registration Date: 07-27-2004

Roe's Pedals. I get it, sounds like Rose Petals

Seems like a good place to inject my first post and agree that it was quite a show. I went back to the WOW hall the next morning and took the poster from the front.
07-27-2004 09:00 Johnny is offline Send an Email to Johnny Search for Posts by Johnny Add Johnny to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Johnny: jklucas51
rob 3.0 rob 3.0 is a male
Radioactive Crow

images/avatars/avatar-180.gif

Favorite 77s album: Drowning With Land in Sight

Awesome review Nails. Thanks Cool

Was I ever on the inside?
07-27-2004 09:20 rob 3.0 is offline Send an Email to rob 3.0 Homepage of rob 3.0 Search for Posts by rob 3.0 Add rob 3.0 to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of rob 3.0: digitalrob3 YIM Account Name of rob 3.0: flashfan77 View the MSN Profile for rob 3.0
DaLe DaLe is a male
Mr. Magoo

images/avatars/avatar-556.jpg

Location: MiNNeSoTa - HeRe we put salt on the Roads... Lord, Help me be Salt of the Earth - NoT Salt in the Wound. so, take most everything I SaY HeRe with a grain of Salt !

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny
I went back to the WOW hall the next morning and took the poster from the front.

I think you will fit in well around Here, there is a lot of give & take...

I think it is your turn to give Wink

07-27-2004 09:23 DaLe is offline Send an Email to DaLe Search for Posts by DaLe Add DaLe to your Buddy List
mowtoe mowtoe is a male
Someone New

Registration Date: 07-27-2004

77's/Strawmen - Eugene, Or. July 24th 2004 Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

AMAZING WEEKEND... AMAZING SHOW!! THANKS GLENN & LINDA FOR YOUR 5 STAR HOSPITALITY, AS WELL AS PUTTING ON AN AMAZING CONCERT! Thanks to Doc, Mark, Bruce, Bill and Dave for bringing all they had Saturday night! The 7s never cease to amaze me....they haven't played live together at all this year, and they made it sound like they play together every night!!

Here's one of the Doc's favorite shots:

A weekend I'll never forget!

Cool

MR a.k.a. mowtoe
07-27-2004 10:11 mowtoe is offline Send an Email to mowtoe Search for Posts by mowtoe Add mowtoe to your Buddy List
freak freak is a male
Unbalanced

Favorite 77s album: Drowning With Land In Sight

MR mowtoe...

Great Shot from the second encore - mike ripping into a cool version of Dave's Blues!!

I am editing my pics from the weekend as I post....

hope to get up some pics real soon!

Dennis, the Dr. Rich, for Blackboard President
07-27-2004 10:24 freak is offline Send an Email to freak Search for Posts by freak Add freak to your Buddy List
Eddie Eddie is a male
Unbalanced

Registration Date: 06-02-2004

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny
Roe's Pedals. I get it, sounds like Rose Petals

Seems like a good place to inject my first post and agree that it was quite a show. I went back to the WOW hall the next morning and took the poster from the front.

Cool!

Welcome! Smile

07-27-2004 12:21 Eddie is offline Send an Email to Eddie Search for Posts by Eddie Add Eddie to your Buddy List
Eddie Eddie is a male
Unbalanced

Registration Date: 06-02-2004

I hope we get some more pics up soon.

I didn't bring a camera to the show cause I don't believe in them. Roll Eyes

07-27-2004 12:25 Eddie is offline Send an Email to Eddie Search for Posts by Eddie Add Eddie to your Buddy List
lam77s

Registration Date: 05-29-2004

Part 2 Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I forgot to mention that right after we got in the rental car for the trip down I asked Mike to call Glenn to let him know what happened, so he wouldn’t freak when he saw me driving another car. Mike calls and the first thing he says is, "I just want to start by telling you Linda’s okay." WHAT!?!?! A few minutes later I hear Mike say, "No, no, no....there wasn’t an accident."

Later, driving on down the road, Bruce spots a car with a 77s decal. "HEY, THERE ARE SOME FANS!!! Quick, catch up and see who they are!" But they are long gone, speeding ahead. There was no way I was going to catch them. From then on, the guys were joking back and forth, whooping it up like a carload of 8-year-olds. It was great. The mood was set.

So, let’s see. Where was I?......

We arrive at the WOW Hall and load the stuff in and we set up. It is about 100 degrees today, which is about 3 degrees cooler than yesterday. It is steaming hot inside. There's no way to keep from sweating. Ah...the glisten...

Video cameras are strategically placed around the room, and Steve Johnson has his computer all set up beside the stage. Bruce needs a drum key and a new snare drum head. Okay. He's afraid the one that came with the kit isn't going to last through both shows. Thank goodness there's a music store one block away. I manage to get there 20 minutes before the store closes, having carefully written down exactly what Bruce needs. I go in and read it off my little piece of paper.

The set up took about an hour, but the actual sound check lasted only a few minutes, really. But WOW did it sound great! It really whetted my appetite for the upcoming show. I can feel the adrenaline flowing. There they all are, up on stage, doing what they do best. I can't believe it's really going to happen.

We head out to get something to eat and hopefully get them a shower. I met Mark's family and Bill's family. I wish I'd had more time to visit.

I'm not certain if anybody got a shower in. I had to go to the store and get Mike some gatorade and batteries (for what, I still don’t know) and then get back to the WOW Hall to get ready to open the doors by 7:30 pm.

The doors open on time and here come the fans. I love meeting everybody. It's great to meet new friends and greet people I haven't seen in awhile. I felt like this was the biggest party I'd ever thrown!

Glenn was in charge of getting the guys back on time and he pretty much did...only a few minutes behind schedule. I thought I was going to have to get up and give the "my car broke down so we're late" lame excuse, but no need. I think the show started about 10-15 minutes late. Not bad. Glenn stationed himself at the merch booth with his good friend, Tom.

Here I go....SHOWTIME!!! "Welcome the Strawmen!!"

The Strawmen are awesome. They play for about an hour. The crowd is into it and there is rousing applause after each song.

There's some banter between Bill and Mike, ranging from Bill saying, "I wrote the songs the 77s stole" and making fun of Mike's wardrobe, to Mike bantering back with such snappy comebacks that Bill gives up, saying he isn't going to go there, because he knows he’ll lose.

My favorite Strawmen song that night is "Saving Fading Dreams." It just out-and-out rocks. Bill seems like he is having the most fun when he sings "Talk to Me." I love the way he just lets loose on that one. I always liked that song and live, it totally delivers.

The set is a nice mix of old and new songs. One of my all time favorite tunes is "Deep End" so when they start up on that one, it gives me shivers. What a nice surprise. Great choice of songs.

Bill's wife has never seen him perform in a band before, so she is blown away. I told Bill later that she'll never look at him the same way again. He's now a rock star! He just smiled.

To be continued.....
07-27-2004 12:35 lam77s is offline Send an Email to lam77s Search for Posts by lam77s Add lam77s to your Buddy List
DaLe DaLe is a male
Mr. Magoo

images/avatars/avatar-556.jpg

Location: MiNNeSoTa - HeRe we put salt on the Roads... Lord, Help me be Salt of the Earth - NoT Salt in the Wound. so, take most everything I SaY HeRe with a grain of Salt !

RE: Part 2 Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by lam77s
I had to go to the store and get Mike some gatorade and batteries.....

aahh, this confirms my suspicions... Shocked

lam77s,

this is great reading, great writing also. thanks

looking forward to part 3... is this a trilogy or a saga ?

DaLe

07-27-2004 12:51 DaLe is offline Send an Email to DaLe Search for Posts by DaLe Add DaLe to your Buddy List
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » Concert Reviews & Photos » 77's/Strawmen - Eugene, Or. July 24th 2004

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH