77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » CD & DVD Reviews » The 77's - 99 » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page The 77's - 99
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
jeffrey k. jeffrey k. is a male
Mr. Magoo

images/avatars/avatar-353.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2004

The 77's - 99 Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Available online at 77's.com and Lo-Fidelity.com on 11/30/07....(as well as on the Dogs tour...)

The 77's & Lo-Fidelity Records present: The 77's, "99".

Recorded in St. Louis MO. by Steve Griffith (Vector) for the 1999 "EP" release, this live CD features a rare glimpse at this great band at the peak of the tour. (The band for this tour was Mike Roe, Mark Harmon, Bruce Spencer, and Scott Reams.) Mike had this to say about the recording:

"When Lo-Fidelity approached us about releasing a live album from our last tour (in 1999) to create a latter-day bookend to our much revered (and long out of print) live album from 1988 called "88", I was dubious. "Well, that's mostly gonna be a crappy album. I have complete recordings of most of the shows on that tour and I don't recall hearing anything I'd want to release!" The keyword here is "most", because when Lo-Fi sent me a copy of this wonderful concert from old pal Brian Quincy-Newcomb's Christ Church basement in St. Louis, MO, I was surprised at not only how good it was, but also by the song selection. I had totally forgotten that we'd even played some of these songs in concert, and it was a delight to hear them again. This album does indeed make a nice bookend to our old "88" album, not only because of the title and identical cover concept, but also because it is remarkably similar in its energy. It's proof positive that 1990's version of the band had a dynamic adventurous spirit that gave us a willingness to stretch out and expand our material in the same kinds of ways that the old-time original 77's from the 80's did. I highly recommend it to both our longtime hardcore fans and to any friends we picked up along the way in the 1990's and later. It's surprisingly fresh sounding even though it's been under wraps for eight years. What else can I say -- it rocks. Hard." - Mike Roe

The track list for this release is as follows:

Blue Sky
Flowers In The Sand
Outskirts
The Boat Ashore
The Stellazine Prophecy
The Best I Have
Blood And Roses/Pearls Before Swine
Snowblind
(total track time: 47 min)
Price - $15.00 (plus shipping)

Check Lo-Fidelity for info on other new releases from the Lost Dogs as well....

jeffrey k.

11-29-2007 20:20 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
Ping Pong Over the Abyss Ping Pong Over the Abyss is a male
Unbalanced

images/avatars/avatar-202.gif

Registration Date: 02-21-2006
Favorite 77s album: Too Many...!

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

It is coming as I write this. Thanks for releasing this--Mike, Mark, Bruce, et al. Been craving some "new" 77s for a while. Cool

11-30-2007 16:17 Ping Pong Over the Abyss is offline Send an Email to Ping Pong Over the Abyss Search for Posts by Ping Pong Over the Abyss Add Ping Pong Over the Abyss to your Buddy List
snowblind snowblind is a male
Unbalanced

images/avatars/avatar-404.gif

Registration Date: 03-28-2006
Favorite 77s album: Sticks and Stones

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Wow! They put a song on there about ME! Thanks guys!!!
Tongue

12-01-2007 06:01 snowblind is offline Send an Email to snowblind Homepage of snowblind Search for Posts by snowblind Add snowblind to your Buddy List
Alex Alex is a male
Mr. Magoo

images/avatars/avatar-115.jpg

Registration Date: 05-01-2005
Favorite 77s album: Eighty Eight

Ordered. Cool

Alex

12-01-2007 09:29 Alex is offline Send an Email to Alex Homepage of Alex Search for Posts by Alex Add Alex to your Buddy List
Fluffy Fluffy is a male
Someone New

Registration Date: 12-02-2007

May want to double-check the description on the Store page--it makes it look like 99 is a 2 DVD set. (Probably just a cut-n-paste thing from the DVD set.)

Very much looking forward to the CD. If it's the show I'm thinking of, they rocked the house.
12-02-2007 08:11 Fluffy is offline Send an Email to Fluffy Search for Posts by Fluffy Add Fluffy to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-92.jpeg

Registration Date: 05-27-2004

Oops, thanks for the heads up on that. I'll correct it.
12-02-2007 09:44 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Big Jim Big Jim is a male
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 08-22-2005
Favorite 77s album: Holy Ghost Building

Thumb Up! RE: Out 11/30/07 - The 77's "99" Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I have the 4-song 99 EP version (which doth rock!) released for the recent show in IL, and I am definitely looking forward to hearing the additional songs!! With the Lost Dogs Christmas album also on the way, looks like this is going to be a great Christmas (musically speaking, at least)... Pleased

Jim
12-04-2007 10:32 Big Jim is offline Send an Email to Big Jim Homepage of Big Jim Search for Posts by Big Jim Add Big Jim to your Buddy List
Unbalanced

99 just arrived. Can't wait to hear it!!!!!!!!!! Cool

12-06-2007 14:01 Ping Pong Over the Abyss is offline Send an Email to Ping Pong Over the Abyss Search for Posts by Ping Pong Over the Abyss Add Ping Pong Over the Abyss to your Buddy List
Unbalanced

It rules. But you knew that, didn't you? Big Grin

Mike, Bruce, Mark, et al--thank you for making my ears bleed and permanently curing my sinuses with the bone-crunching acoustic assault of epic proportions. You rock!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cool

12-07-2007 04:11 Ping Pong Over the Abyss is offline Send an Email to Ping Pong Over the Abyss Search for Posts by Ping Pong Over the Abyss Add Ping Pong Over the Abyss to your Buddy List
jason
Someone New

Registration Date: 06-03-2004

The 99 cd sounds good. I particularly like Outskirts.

Is the Blood and Roses / Pearls Before Swine track the same performance as featured on the Guilty Pleasures release? From listening to it, it sounds like it's the same. Either that or the 77s are real consistent in how they play that song.
12-08-2007 13:17 jason is offline Send an Email to jason Search for Posts by jason Add jason to your Buddy List
zing zing is a male
Baby Elvis

images/avatars/avatar-594.jpg

Registration Date: 01-22-2005
Favorite 77s album: Depends on the day!

RE: Out 11/30/07 - The 77's "99" Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

You guys must live closer to Cali than I do in Ohio. Ordered on 11/30 and still haven't gotten it yet.

Frown Crying

Can't wait to hear it, though!
12-08-2007 13:46 zing is offline Send an Email to zing Search for Posts by zing Add zing to your Buddy List
Unbalanced

Outskirts does rule...easily the #1 track. Cool

I live in the same state the disc ships from, so it took no time at all for it to arrive.

12-08-2007 20:29 Ping Pong Over the Abyss is offline Send an Email to Ping Pong Over the Abyss Search for Posts by Ping Pong Over the Abyss Add Ping Pong Over the Abyss to your Buddy List
Fluffy Fluffy is a male
Someone New

Registration Date: 12-02-2007

Big Grin Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Living just down the way from Wentzville where it's shipping from, mine arrived lickety-split. Listened to it a few times now, and quite enjoying it.

I do believe this is the show I was thinking of. I had dragged a friend along to the show. There was some great energy considering the humble venue, a little church basement. Mark and Bruce layed out a great rythm throughout. My friend (no slouch on the guitar himself) watched Mike with growing amazement throughout the set.

We complemented Mike on the show afterwards as they were packing up. He mumbled something about it being a kind of off night for him. In retrospect, I guess you never really know when that little gem of a show might appear.
12-10-2007 09:44 Fluffy is offline Send an Email to Fluffy Search for Posts by Fluffy Add Fluffy to your Buddy List
zing zing is a male
Baby Elvis

images/avatars/avatar-594.jpg

Registration Date: 01-22-2005
Favorite 77s album: Depends on the day!

Got it today! After the first listen, it definately has my attention. Although I'm a sucker for anything 'live' from Mike or the Sevens.
12-10-2007 15:48 zing is offline Send an Email to zing Search for Posts by zing Add zing to your Buddy List
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

Cool shop till it hurts Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Glad a few folks already got 99 and are enjoying it so far. Granted, it's not the greatest show we ever did or anything like that, but it's fun. I do recall that tour taking awhile to wind up before we really started cutting loose and getting into it.

This really isn't so much a Doctor Love showcase as it is a full band showcase, where everyone gets to shine. I do recall not feeling I had done my best that night, but overall we were starting to really communicate as an ensemble by that point, especially given the fact that Scott was relatively new to the lineup and any time you add someone to your chemistry it can be like starting over. I think he really added an important new dimension to the kind of stuff we were playing around that time, and who can resist those percussion duals? It took a lot of the pressure off me to carry the frontline and I could just enjoy being part of the whole thing more.

I remember listening back to a lot of those concerts and hearing good moments here and there but not anything that was real good all the way through. Some of those moments eventually made it onto When Numbers Get Serious and later onto the 77'S DVD live disc, but this was probably the only concert that had enough good material recorded well enough to warrant an official release.

Many thanks to Jeff K. for convincing me that this was something our fans would appreciate during the holidays while waiting for the new album to come out. A nice little stocking stuffer!
12-11-2007 12:22 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
latencybaks latencybaks is a male
Mezzo

Registration Date: 06-17-2004

Cool
12-11-2007 12:44 latencybaks is offline Send an Email to latencybaks Search for Posts by latencybaks Add latencybaks to your Buddy List
Big Jim Big Jim is a male
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 08-22-2005
Favorite 77s album: Holy Ghost Building

99 Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Doc,

'99 is great (as was '88 before that)! Great showcase of a moment in time. Glad Jeff K. convinced you to go public with it...

Year '11 is creeping up on us too... Wink I know "11" maybe doesn't have the same ring to it as '88 or '99, but one can hope... Cool

Jim
12-12-2007 07:34 Big Jim is offline Send an Email to Big Jim Homepage of Big Jim Search for Posts by Big Jim Add Big Jim to your Buddy List
MarkyMark77 MarkyMark77 is a male
Drowning with Land in Sight

images/avatars/avatar-456.jpg

Registration Date: 03-24-2005
Favorite 77s album: 99

Listening to it right now.
It's just like I remember the show I saw.

Really good!

I'm curious if this was a really good soundboard, or a multi-track.
I'm guessing it was a soundboard.

"We're three caballeros" and "Sunshine on my shoulder makes me sweaty" are just some of the fun improv comments you'll hear if you buy this disc.

12-12-2007 11:28 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
MarkyMark77 MarkyMark77 is a male
Drowning with Land in Sight

images/avatars/avatar-456.jpg

Registration Date: 03-24-2005
Favorite 77s album: 99

When I first heard the Laramie show (from this tour, I think), the first few songs have almost no vocal, but it really got me to listen to how tight the band was, and I think I enjoy it almost as much as anything I've heard from the 7's. But then, when the vocals are turned up for (Mike tells the soundman to do so), it's even better.

I know Mike tends to be critical of his performances, but, man they really kicked on this tour!

12-13-2007 09:36 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
drowning drowning is a male
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-223.jpg

Registration Date: 06-12-2007
Favorite 77s album: Direct

saw the lancaster show from this tour - they shared the bill with keaggy and the encore with keaggy and mike playing blues and beatles standards was over the top

12-13-2007 10:18 drowning is offline Search for Posts by drowning Add drowning to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » CD & DVD Reviews » The 77's - 99

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH