77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » CD & DVD Reviews » The Swirling Eddies - The Midget, The Speck, And the Molecule » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page The Swirling Eddies - The Midget, The Speck, And the Molecule 3 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-546.jpg

Registration Date: 09-30-2004
Favorite 77s album: Tom Tom Blues

Thumb Up! The Swirling Eddies - The Midget, The Speck, And the Molecule Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

What do you get when you have Picky Swelly, Camarillo Eddy, Judy Ism, Newt York Newt York, Derry Air, Berger Roy Al, Spot, & Eddie Degarmo in the same studio? The best recording of the year. The band that won't go away (The Swirling Eddies) have altered their line-up to become a supergroup with their latest release, The Midget, The Speck, And The Molecule. Other than Degarmo (who is considered a special guest Eddie), this band includes the talents of Marc Byrd, Terry Scott Taylor, Mike Roe, Steve Hindalong, Derri Daugherty, Tim Chandler, & Jerry Chamberlain.

Terry Scott Taylor wrote the entire music and lyrics. It opens with It All Depends, a song Lost Dogs has been covering in their recent tour. Knowing the Eddies history, you would think that this song may be about bladder control issues but it's not. This is a release of sober, soul-searching lyrics of the human condition longing for redemption day ("And that it's all just beginning when the fat lady sings"). The title track follows with imagery of passing an old hitchhiker, who becomes a midget, then a speck, then a molecule in the driver's rearview mirror. The hitchhiker should not be ignored because he has knowledge of impending doom that could assist the driver. Madonna Inn is a throwback tune that waxes nostalgic for the romantic getaway. Giants In The Land should be the single from this release. It's a very catchy tune about how the great artists/bands now struggle to pursue their art and are in dire need of direct fan support to survive. Salton Sea is another nostalgic tune that yearns for the ancient pleasures from a paradise that has become a plague. My Cardboard Box is another romantic song from a homeless man who wishes to share his cardboard box with his main squeeze. It reiterates the current instability of personal economies. Snow In A Can musically is similar to Taylor's most recent solo work, little, BIG. A very laid-back sound and another social commentary of strange modern conveniences. A Medley Of Our Hit is directed at a discontented few on the Daniel Amos messageboard (the daMB), nearly word for word of an open letter from Camarillo Eddy that was posted at the height of pre-order fatigue. Big Dork and his buddies should be proud of this cranked-out sausage. It rocks. Tremolo is very interesting musically...fresh & different sounding. Lyrically excellent, like the rest. The Humble Man Rises includes this piece of wisdom: you're stronger and you're strongest when your knees are weak. This Is The Title/The Old Hitchhiker closes the CD with humorous lyrics reminiscient of the theme to the old Garry Shandling Show. This Is The Title flows into The Old Hitchhiker, which serves as a reprise of the title track. Very well done.

Musically, this disc is quite varied. I've heard sounds that remind me of early The Choir, Orbis-era Roe, Island Dreams, & more recent T. S. Taylor.
The bass lines by Chandler propel the sounds to another level. Although Lost Dogs are a supergroup in the folksy, alt-country vein, The Swirling Eddies are one in an alternative, progressive rock vein.

If it requires another 3 year pre-order wait to get this quality music from these quality artists, I would like to place my order for another please. You can get this one immediately at http://www.danielamos.com. Click the webstore link.

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by peawinkel: 08-02-2007 09:33.

08-01-2007 10:53 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-546.jpg

Registration Date: 09-30-2004
Favorite 77s album: Tom Tom Blues

Thread Starter Thread Started by peawinkel
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

More MySpace peasearch uncovered this blog from Chris McIntosh:

Appropriateness
Current mood: frustrated
Category: Music

The other night I took the trek on into NYC for a show at BB King's. Tickets on the average were running around the 30 to 40 dollar range which for a mid town club is not unusual. The artist without mentioning any names was one of the darlings of the CCM industry. Still not sure why I was there, oh yeah it was to hang out with a few good friends and hopefully teach them the difference between great music by Christians & Crappy Christian Music [CCM]. The show was average at best,with little to make it stand out from a hundred other club gigs in the city that night. After it was all over I overheard the same comment by numerous people, "He preached more than he played". These people were not happy campers. If an artist wants to play rock n roll then do it, if they want to preach then go to seminary become a pastor with your own pulpit or become a folk singer and talk to your hearts content. I am close to 58 years old and when I pay to go to a concert I want to hear music, not someone who has shaky theology at best spouting their shallow ideas. An industry that tells a young musician you are now a preacher, go therefore and preach is doing a disservice to not only the musician but also his or her potential audience. For the time being, I need to go and listen to the new Swirling Eddies & Jeff Johnson albums so I can calm down.

08-06-2007 09:10 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
LuR KiNG
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-86.jpg

Registration Date: 09-17-2004

RE: The Swirling Eddies - The Midget, The Speck, And the Molecule Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

"This CD is music to my ears, much like ice cold lemonade to my throat on a hot summer day on the beach in Cancun"

well, Minnesota on a HoT Humid day, anyway . . .

it's as fresh as "lillies in a green field" Cool
08-06-2007 13:56 LuR KiNG is offline Send an Email to LuR KiNG Search for Posts by LuR KiNG Add LuR KiNG to your Buddy List
Nailtatt Nailtatt is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-212.jpg

Registration Date: 05-28-2004
Favorite 77s album: Sticks and Stones

Angry RE: The Swirling Eddies - The Midget, The Speck, And the Molecule Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by LuR KiNG
"This CD is music to my ears, much like ice cold lemonade to my throat on a hot summer day on the beach in Cancun"

well, Minnesota on a HoT Humid day, anyway . . .

it's as fresh as "lillies in a green field" Cool

Evil

Tongue

08-06-2007 14:24 Nailtatt is offline Send an Email to Nailtatt Search for Posts by Nailtatt Add Nailtatt to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Nailtatt
LuR KiNG
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-86.jpg

Registration Date: 09-17-2004

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

sorry . . . Frown I could not stop myself.
08-06-2007 14:42 LuR KiNG is offline Send an Email to LuR KiNG Search for Posts by LuR KiNG Add LuR KiNG to your Buddy List
Nailtatt Nailtatt is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-212.jpg

Registration Date: 05-28-2004
Favorite 77s album: Sticks and Stones

Well...........you could have, but why pass up such an opportunity!

Wink

08-06-2007 14:43 Nailtatt is offline Send an Email to Nailtatt Search for Posts by Nailtatt Add Nailtatt to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Nailtatt
Alex Alex is a male
Mr. Magoo

images/avatars/avatar-115.jpg

Registration Date: 05-01-2005
Favorite 77s album: Eighty Eight

The new SE myspace song sounds really good.

Alex

08-07-2007 02:16 Alex is offline Send an Email to Alex Homepage of Alex Search for Posts by Alex Add Alex to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » CD & DVD Reviews » The Swirling Eddies - The Midget, The Speck, And the Molecule

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH