77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » Cornerstone 2007 Obligations of an Artist » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Cornerstone 2007 Obligations of an Artist 3 Votes - Average Rating: 9.333 Votes - Average Rating: 9.333 Votes - Average Rating: 9.333 Votes - Average Rating: 9.33
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
bkratzer bkratzer is a male
Someone New

Registration Date: 07-02-2007
Favorite 77s album: sticks and stones

Question Cornerstone 2007 Obligations of an Artist Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

So, I just returned from C'Stone 2007 and am wrestling with some confusion. I'd love to hear from some of you.
So, here is the dealio...

As usual, the fest was wildly entertaining. It is always a cultural feast! There were shows that absolutely nailed it for me. Roe, The Violet Burning, Roe vs. Pritzl, FF5, Flyleaf, etc. but others fell way short. No sense in naming those. My concern is...what is the obligation of an artist to "share his/her" faith at an event like C'Stone. (You may want to read Chris Macintosh's article in Phantom Tollbooth re: no more Christian rock bands.)
I also grow weary of a cookie cutter approach that is often delivered via CCM radio, but would argue that this years' Cornerstone really lacked purpose. I have long admired JPUSA for the work that they do, but was confused this year. There was very little about the 2007 event that was about Christ. I'm cool with loving folks right where they are, etc., but where was the recognition of our purpose, the challenge, the...anything!? Some of the bands radiated as much faith as Nazareth or Ted did in the old days! I even got profanity from one band!
Love to see a reply...tell me I am old (45), tell me I am naive, whatever...I'm okay with it. I will say that I have moved beyond the desire to be cool, and am looking for more Truth. In Bushnell, I saw way too much culture, and little acknowledgment or regard for Truth.

07-02-2007 14:01 bkratzer is offline Send an Email to bkratzer Search for Posts by bkratzer Add bkratzer to your Buddy List
Nailtatt Nailtatt is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-212.jpg

Registration Date: 05-28-2004
Favorite 77s album: Sticks and Stones

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I don't have a problem with the bands not doing the typical "call" and so on. I think Cornerstone is more for entertainment purposes for people that are typically already "christians". And there is nothing wrong with that I don't believe. As you all know I have NO problem with the occasional f-bomb or whatever so to me that is just personal conviction. Anyway, I have never fealt that it is a bands responsibility to "save" people and so on. If the spirit moves and something like that happens then so be it but to feel like you have to preach the message just cuz you are a "christian band" or whatever is ridiculous to me. If you want that sort of thing go to a "Promise Keepers" or something like that.

07-02-2007 14:13 Nailtatt is offline Send an Email to Nailtatt Search for Posts by Nailtatt Add Nailtatt to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Nailtatt
Audiori J
unregistered
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

As a person who has been to Cornerstone for years, I would say there is something lacking compared to the old days. We sat and Talked to Terry and Steve and Mike for a while at the hotel after being at the fest on saturday. We were actually discsussing something similar to this subject. The fest has changed to some degree and I don't think its entirely just music styles. Back in the old days of Cornerstone there was more of a comunity spirit, I think its still there in a lot of the old timers, but the newer bands seem to lack it. I think the original focus of Cornerstone was to bring together like minded artists in order to both reach and entertain a certain crowd of kids. The kids that would be seen on the fringes of the regular Christian festivals, thats who the fest was for. I believe they talk about that in the Cornerstone DVD. Most of us that have been there for years and years have a sort of family reunion feeling when we go. But I would say the spirit of the fest has changed in the last few years. It was very noticable this year.

It could be a difference that would be similar to a small Church becoming a large Church, if anyone has ever been through that you kind of know the feeling. Suddenly things are impersonal, the little family becomes the big disconnected bunch of people. Then to add to that, there is less of a need to cater to the little family of peole and more of a need to be less specific when catering to a large bunch of people.

But then to add to that, I think the focus on the message and calling of the bands used to be much more noticable than it is today. It seems like, and it may not be a fair thing, but it seems like a lot of young bands don't have that same focus and just come to the festival, do their show and get out of there like its just a stop in the tour. Disconnected from the comunity and original spirit and purpose. I have felt it, and it does make me less excited about going, and less excited about running from stage to stage. I tend to just hang around the gallery stage and the exhibition tent and chat with the festival veterans.
07-02-2007 16:36
TJ 2.0
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-413.gif

Registration Date: 09-13-2004
Favorite 77s album: Island/Sticks and Stones/88

RE: Cornerstone 2007 Obligations of an Artist Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by bkratzer
So, I just returned from C'Stone 2007 and am wrestling with some confusion. I'd love to hear from some of you.
So, here is the dealio...

As usual, the fest was wildly entertaining. It is always a cultural feast! There were shows that absolutely nailed it for me. Roe, The Violet Burning, Roe vs. Pritzl, FF5, Flyleaf, etc. but others fell way short. No sense in naming those. My concern is...what is the obligation of an artist to "share his/her" faith at an event like C'Stone. (You may want to read Chris Macintosh's article in Phantom Tollbooth re: no more Christian rock bands.)
I also grow weary of a cookie cutter approach that is often delivered via CCM radio, but would argue that this years' Cornerstone really lacked purpose. I have long admired JPUSA for the work that they do, but was confused this year. There was very little about the 2007 event that was about Christ. I'm cool with loving folks right where they are, etc., but where was the recognition of our purpose, the challenge, the...anything!? Some of the bands radiated as much faith as Nazareth or Ted did in the old days! I even got profanity from one band!
Love to see a reply...tell me I am old (45), tell me I am naive, whatever...I'm okay with it. I will say that I have moved beyond the desire to be cool, and am looking for more Truth. In Bushnell, I saw way too much culture, and little acknowledgment or regard for Truth.

I don't think Cstone lacked purpose, but I do think it has changed over the years. I think JPUSA allows speakers and artists to be more vocal about ideas re: Christianity that are outside the norm. Sometimes it stretches the boundaries, sometimes not. But it's definitely a different aspect than some of what most of us who've gone for some time are accustomed to.

I do have to ask though....and I'm not being argumentative here, but you are weary of the cookie cutter approach that is delivered via CCM radio, but your highlights included FF5 and Flyleaf? Those seem to be two of the most cookie cutter bands at the entire fest. Again, I'm not accusing or being argumentative, that just seems like a contradiction to me.

I also think it depends on where you were looking for Christ as to whether or not you found Him. For instance, Anberlin played mainstage, yet you heard them talk more about "community" than Christ. However, at the Anchor Stage, I saw a 40-ish year old punk rocker with sleeves and a mohawk throw down a great sermon, and the next day saw a rep from Youth For Christ preach with more passion than Billy Graham. Consequently, I got a great deal out of both talks. I also know from talking to people I went with that Christ and Christianity was discussed at length during many of the seminars. I guess some of it is just a matter of perspective, and the fact that the 'ministry' side of events like this isn't always taking place on the surface.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by TJ 2.0: 07-02-2007 18:13.

07-02-2007 18:09 TJ 2.0 is offline Send an Email to TJ 2.0 Homepage of TJ 2.0 Search for Posts by TJ 2.0 Add TJ 2.0 to your Buddy List
MarkyMark77 MarkyMark77 is a male
Drowning with Land in Sight

images/avatars/avatar-456.jpg

Registration Date: 03-24-2005
Favorite 77s album: 99

I just want to share this moment I had at C-stone. I sat down to eat my Subway sandwich, and when I prayed, I actually prayed for my meal. Not a form prayer, but a real prayer of Thanksgiving. From Mike's solo set, his RVP set and the Psalters, I was just in a real worshipful place. I was really encouraged by a speaker I had heard earlier, and the ministry mindset of so many of the bands that I interacted with.

I saw David Crowder Band recently at Willow Creek, and they led a worship time there. I really worshipped with their songs, but there was no in-between leading or speaking, just talk about this or that, and not about God. But I still worshipped. So, I don't know. I don't know what the line is, or if the line is different for different bands. I largely agree with Nails on this topic, I think. Everything should point to God in someway, but how I would define that is very broad, which I think it should be.

BTW, this was my first Cornerstone, so I have nothing to compare it to.

07-02-2007 20:39 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
bkratzer bkratzer is a male
Someone New

Registration Date: 07-02-2007
Favorite 77s album: sticks and stones

Thread Starter Thread Started by bkratzer
Upon further review... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hey, I appreciate the dialogue... this has been very cool. I have stewed on this for a few days because its important to me. I believe that CStone is (and can be) way more than entertainment for Believers. It represents a huge opportunity to entertain, equip, and encourage a fringe group of Believers who can make a tremendous impact on this world. That is always our mission. I believe in maximizing the opportunity. Life is short.
I did receive a reply from John Herrin that was very encouraging. He was cool with the feedback and asked for continued support. I understand that this is partly "me". Someone suggested that a more evangelistic message was available in other areas of the fest. Probably very true.
It also occurred to me that the game has changed. These bands likely have their sites on the big time and crossover success. Its funny, it the late 80s, I was frustrated that my favorites couldnt get crossover success, and now that they are getting it, I view it as selling out.
So...I think my role will be to pray for these bands. Flyleaf will tour with Korn, and that has to be interesting!
And for the record, I would argue that FF5 and Flyleaf are anything but cookie cutter! Big Grin
Oh well, the times they are a changin'

07-03-2007 07:36 bkratzer is offline Send an Email to bkratzer Search for Posts by bkratzer Add bkratzer to your Buddy List
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

images/avatars/avatar-381.gif

Registration Date: 11-17-2004
Favorite 77s album: The one's Mike plays guitar on

RE: Upon further review... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I think that age and perspective have a way of changing these types of events.

I have never been to C-Stone. I dislike crowds enough to say that it's more than likely that I will never make the trip to the c-stone fest.

Regarding the "message", etc...I can't speak from the experience, but I would say that from what I am hearing, it's very much a reflection of what a lot of the north american "christian" churches are like.... Shocked

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies
and i don't understand it"

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
07-03-2007 14:44 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

RE: Upon further review... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

hey...bkratzer...

What part of MO are you in?

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
07-03-2007 14:44 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-92.jpeg

Registration Date: 05-27-2004

quote:
Originally posted by 77 bc
Regarding the "message", etc...I can't speak from the experience, but I would say that from what I am hearing, it's very much a reflection of what a lot of the north american "christian" churches are like.... Shocked

That does seem to be part of the change.. especially since a large portion of the fest goers (and bands!) are young "youth group" age kids these days. Add to that the fact that most of the "new" kids that are coming in to the fest have no history with it or any of its bands., its more about flashy shows and nice tshirts.

One thing that came up in our discussion with the Dogs was that it might partially be a reflection of the overall feeling towards music these days vs. the "old days." It seems like the entire music industry is moving away from any loyalty for artists over the long term and focused more on just churning out things that can sell in the short term. Then the listeners themselves also seem to be following that lead.. there are very few young people that are fans of a certain band or feel any loyalty to them.. they just like a certain song. If that band makes a new album, they won't necessarily care about it unless they hear another song from it that has a good beat. The overall feeling of the festival seems to be moving that way as well... it's not a "reunion" feeling anymore, its... "who are all of these bands?"

Jason and I had seen Paul Simon on Charlie Rose the day before we left for Cstone... (I guess Terry had seen it too). Simon's views were very similar (although a lot more pessimistic). He felt that (generally) people have no attention span anymore musically. A full CD doesn't even hold their interest any more.. they'll just skip through it, or rip off the one song they like. For that reason, he barely feels the desire to even make an album right now. Personally, I think its temporary like everything else... I think people will eventually grow tired of the "channel flipping" version of music and start paying more attention to the music they like.
07-03-2007 15:06 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
quote:

(regarding paul simon...)

For that reason, he barely feels the desire to even make an album right now. Personally, I think its temporary like everything else... I think people will eventually grow tired of the "channel flipping" version of music and start paying more attention to the music they like.

I hate being pessimistic, but that seems to be the culture, as a whole, and unfortunately, the church culture tends to follow.

Maybe a little out of context, but maybe more relevant than it should be, the following comes back to haunt me when I gripe about stuff at church...

quote:
TST - 1983
I used to say, "Why doesn't somebody do something about this?"
I cried, "Oh, what about this need?"
Then a voice said, "You do something about it"
I said, "Oh woooow you mean me?"...

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by 77 bc: 07-03-2007 17:32.

07-03-2007 17:31 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
Audiori J
unregistered

I would agree with those thoughts in general, I think a communities size effects it greatly. The music industry has grown, and to follow the Christian music market has grown as well. If you think of the 1950's there were relatively few recording artists as to compared to today, there were also relatively small record sales as to compared to today. Today the market is so saturated with artists that I don't think that leads people to loyalty that fans had for a particular artist anymore. Like my brother said, people pick and choose songs for their ipod. They no longer feel much of a need to follow a certain artists whole career.

I think Cornerstone has gone through a similar change as it has grown, like the 50s general market had Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, Little Richard, Fats Domino, Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis and a few other legendary stars. The original years of Cornerstone had Daniel amos, The Choir, the 77s, Steve Taylor, Kerry Livgren and AD, Undercover, Keaggy, Mike Knott, Larry Norman, Mark Heard, Randy Stonehill, Rez Band, Altar Boys and bands like that. People would come from all over the world literally to see this festival because of the legendary status these bands had. There was nothing else like it. The comunity was also built on a group of fanatical loyal fans of each of these bands. Camp 77s was a part of that loyalty.

The festival like the general music market has exploded into a flood of artists who by my standards don't measure up to what we had originally and obviously by the markets standards don't generate the same kind of artist loyalty and fan-natism. The original 'spirit' of that community is drowned out I believe to some degree, with the change, Cornerstone veterans tend to fall away. There are those of the most loyal who I still see every year, the Kevin Shafers, Rocco Andrews, Danny Collinses, etc. But their number I think are thinning. To me the negative effect the change has is on the communal bonds, which is generally where I believe the spirit moves, the fellowship. Its still there, and sure you can still find it, but you have to look harder. Its in the nooks and crannies between all the new bands who vastly outnumber the veterans and who don't seem to share that fellowship Cornerstone loyal spirit.

My personal opinion is I think its much like a stock market bubble that will crash and implode at some point and we will revert back to a communal, fellowship oriented, artist loyal situation again. Either that, or it will split apart, much like a Church that has grown too large.
07-04-2007 10:13
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J
I would agree with those thoughts in general, I think a communities size effects it greatly. The music industry has grown, and to follow the Christian music market has grown as well. If you think of the 1950's there were relatively few recording artists as to compared to today, there were also relatively small record sales as to compared to today. Today the market is so saturated with artists that I don't think that leads people to loyalty that fans had for a particular artist anymore. Like my brother said, people pick and choose songs for their ipod. They no longer feel much of a need to follow a certain artists whole career.

I think Cornerstone has gone through a similar change as it has grown, like the 50s general market had Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, Little Richard, Fats Domino, Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis and a few other legendary stars. The original years of Cornerstone had Daniel amos, The Choir, the 77s, Steve Taylor, Kerry Livgren and AD, Undercover, Keaggy, Mike Knott, Larry Norman, Mark Heard, Randy Stonehill, Rez Band, Altar Boys and bands like that. People would come from all over the world literally to see this festival because of the legendary status these bands had. There was nothing else like it. The comunity was also built on a group of fanatical loyal fans of each of these bands. Camp 77s was a part of that loyalty.

The festival like the general music market has exploded into a flood of artists who by my standards don't measure up to what we had originally and obviously by the markets standards don't generate the same kind of artist loyalty and fan-natism. The original 'spirit' of that community is drowned out I believe to some degree, with the change, Cornerstone veterans tend to fall away. There are those of the most loyal who I still see every year, the Kevin Shafers, Rocco Andrews, Danny Collinses, etc. But their number I think are thinning. To me the negative effect the change has is on the communal bonds, which is generally where I believe the spirit moves, the fellowship. Its still there, and sure you can still find it, but you have to look harder. Its in the nooks and crannies between all the new bands who vastly outnumber the veterans and who don't seem to share that fellowship Cornerstone loyal spirit.

My personal opinion is I think its much like a stock market bubble that will crash and implode at some point and we will revert back to a communal, fellowship oriented, artist loyal situation again. Either that, or it will split apart, much like a Church that has grown too large.

Ok...not being argumentative, but...wasn't the '50's music market 45rpm/singles driven? I don't think that it was until the latter part of the '60's that it started moving to the LP/album format.

The early days of "Christian music" was LP driven, and you couldn't get 45's, therefore, we would buy the albums and listen to EVERY song on the LP, and everyone that you talked to seemed to have that one song, which was intended to be the "single" from the LP, but everyone had their "personal favorite" tune on the LP, for whatever reason, based on the lyrics, etc... The market has changed, the medium of which music is delivered to the consumers is different. The method of making the music is different. Why wouldn't the festival change with those changes.

I believe that it's time to draw the line in the sand. It's all MTV's fault.

Shocked

Big Grin

(and the fact that we are all getting older, and more geezerly!!!)

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
07-04-2007 10:27 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
Audiori J
unregistered

Yeah my point about the 50s was more about the artists, people fanatically followed Elvis for example. They would buy anything they could get. I don't think there is much of a modern equivalent in the mainstream, older artsis still carry some of their old loyal fans. But modern music fans don't latch on to a particular artist as much as they used to.

The market was 45 driven, but there were LPs, even if they were in the form of 78s. But my point is not really about that.

"Why wouldn't the festival change with those changes?"

I think it will naturally change with those changes, and I think it has. I am more talking about what is lost with those changes. I think what is lost is what used to set Cornerstone apart from other festivals. Quality of artists, and a community that was connected and loyal, the fellowship. I don't think thats completely gone, I think it is being drowned out and is harder to find now days. I think the size of the festival plays a huge part in that, and also the fact that music fans just don't have that loyalty to a certain artist like they used to. Modern kids pick and choose one song at a time for their ipods like I said. Its fine they do that, but I think something great will be lost as a result of the changes.
07-04-2007 10:40
TJ 2.0
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-413.gif

Registration Date: 09-13-2004
Favorite 77s album: Island/Sticks and Stones/88

this is something the guys in the band and i have been discussing as well. there is definitely a complacency that is taking place in the music scene nowadays, regardless of genre. in the hard music arena, you have two extremes. one side doesn't "attach" to the music as much as it used to, and because of it, you are hardpressed to impress a fan as you used to be able to. in addition, the market, by and large, is so oversaturated with crap (go to the Impromptu Stage on any given year in the last 4 years at Cstone, and you'll know what I mean), that unless you are doing something groundbreaking and original, you won't get recognized.

the other extreme, however, at least in the hard music market, is that Christian metal/hardcore/screamo is just as accessible on the secular side as it is on the Christian side, if not more. you see more metal/hardcore bands getting respect and recognition in the secular market, be it through magazine coverage, tours, etc. from that perspective, i think it is (and always has been) much easier for harder bands to appeal to a larger audience than say a band like The Choir or Daniel Amos. With DA, for instance, as fringe as they are in the CCM movement, they will ALWAYS be a "christian" band. they won't ever get crossover success, like say As I Lay Dying or Underoath has gotten. It's a shame, too, because many of the southern Cal Christian alternative bands have always deserved much more credit, exposure, and respect than they've ever gotten.

sorry for the rant. hopefully something in all that makes sense.
07-04-2007 10:47 TJ 2.0 is offline Send an Email to TJ 2.0 Homepage of TJ 2.0 Search for Posts by TJ 2.0 Add TJ 2.0 to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-92.jpeg

Registration Date: 05-27-2004

quote:
Ok...not being argumentative, but...wasn't the '50's music market 45rpm/singles driven? I don't think that it was until the latter part of the '60's that it started moving to the LP/album format.

This was actually a point I was going to make but forgot to.

Simon's pessimism was that he didn't see the industry ever changing again. Like albums were dead and nothing could be done about it. (To be fair, towards the end of the show, he did add that "it might change, who knows?" or something like that).

Personally, I feel like we're falling back into the 50's mindset in terms of singles being more important than albums again. The industry was a bit different because of the size and the number of artists (like what Jason was talking about). But you're right that they didn't really start making "albums" until the 60's... the Beatles were a big part of that actually. Before that, labels put out albums that were basically just collections of previously released singles. They were an afterthought and labels generally didn't want to put much money into them. Many artists didn't even get an "album" released. The Beatles refused to do that and (like with Rubber Soul) put out an entire album of non-singles. Another example was "Penny Lane" and "Strawberry Fields" which were left off of Peppers because they had already been released as a single. It was around that time period, that folks started to pay attention to albums more and more. Labels were forced to start releasing albums more and more and they were actually seeing a good amount of album sales. Before that, they didn't sell very well at all usually.

I think we'll see a repeat of that. THings like this are almost always cycilcal. My hunch is that someone or something (possibly a new technology) will come along and make the album important to the mass market again. Artists are already trying to do it - by adding extra stuff to CDs, or adding a DVD to it, or making hybrid discs, etc.
07-04-2007 10:53 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
nick nick is a male
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 12-02-2004

Wow, good thoughts!
"One thing that came up in our discussion with the Dogs was that it might partially be a reflection of the overall feeling towards music these days vs. the "old days." It seems like the entire music industry is moving away from any loyalty for artists over the long term and focused more on just churning out things that can sell in the short term. Then the listeners themselves also seem to be following that lead.. there are very few young people that are fans of a certain band or feel any loyalty to them.. they just like a certain song. If that band makes a new album, they won't necessarily care about it unless they hear another song from it that has a good beat. The overall feeling of the festival seems to be moving that way as well... it's not a "reunion" feeling anymore, its... "who are all of these bands?"

I so agree with this! As a youth pastor I can see this trend with the teens a lot and they wonder why I have loyalty to bands etc. When I was going to C-stone back in 92-2001 I even saw a change with in that time frame from what I think Audiroi said about the community and the feel of the fest to bands just coming and going and not staying and enjoying other bands. The cool part of the fest for me was seeing Steve Hindalong(sp?) coming and watching other bands in the crowd with us "normal" people and playing his bag of tricks at jsut about every concert I went to. Or seeing members of the 77s or Lost Dogs etc. roaming the fest. Plus camp 77! It was just cool and I think the newer bands and the teens who listen to them have lost that because of many of the things mentioned above like just stopping on a tour, not really caring about whole albums, and the fact that they can just go to i-tunes or something like that and jsut buy the one song they hear and not care about the rest. Interesting, I HOPE and PRAY it does turn around and old Simon isn't right! (I was going to call Paul his nickname but for the life of me I can not remember what people call him!!! GEEZ the memory it's gone!)
07-06-2007 07:01 nick is offline Send an Email to nick Search for Posts by nick Add nick to your Buddy List
MarkyMark77 MarkyMark77 is a male
Drowning with Land in Sight

images/avatars/avatar-456.jpg

Registration Date: 03-24-2005
Favorite 77s album: 99

Yeah, this whole thing is unfortunate. It's no wonder Clear Channel programs the same stuff all the time.

I've been thinking about the business of music lately. Mostly this stuff:

1) Artists who had big hits from the 60's to the early 90's (I was thinking of the Beatles and their respective solo records in particular) could not have a top 10 hit now. No radio station will sandwich it between Fergie and 50-Cent. Paul McCartney made a deal with Starbucks, I think, because he could actually get his music heard that way. And he's a Beatle!
2) This whole band loyalty is not all the fault of the fans. Christian labels have been notorious for not sticking with artists, or building an audience with them. I remember Gene Eugene at a concert telling the story of how the Lost Dogs came to be, and how the record company gave him a check for $1500. I remember thinking, "that's all?" He didn't even have health insurance. He couldn't afford it. Only the big names get big pay, and that's only after they've paid back their record label. I can think of several Christian bands personally like Luxury who I thought were great, but were never promoted well, and now are either hard to find or gone completely. It's hard to be loyal when a band is just gone.
3) The following of bands really after Gen-Xers. Us thirty-somethings still do it, but, if you're a big music buyer, you've been burned so many times by buying a whole CD that was either nothing like the single you heard or total crap.
4) People are unwilling to give their artists a break if they veer from their formula. "Island Dreams" is a good example of this. No, it's not my favorite LD disc. But I like that they do different things. That's one of the things that makes me loyal to certain bands, is that I know that I'll get something good, and I'll probably get something different.
5) Along with #4, letting music grow on you is good for you, but it can be like eating your vegetables. And in our increasingly impatient world, it's not just music that suffers. Everything that can't explained quickly or packaged concisely is not worth it for so many people. Music is just a small part of the big problem. People are not living life; they are letting life direct them. Big mistake!

07-06-2007 08:20 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-446.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2004

that is a great post.

07-06-2007 08:32 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Homepage of larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of larryl: nashvillelarryl YIM Account Name of larryl: larryl922
MefLiszto MefLiszto is a male
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 06-14-2004

I've noticed some changes at the fest too, but more along non-music lines. Did anybody catch any of the "Emergening, Emergent, Evangelical" seminar? I've only recently began reading up on the phenomenon of the post-modern church, and I'm wondering if it has infected the thinking of the festival staff? Post-moderns, or PoMo's as they're call by some, doubt that anything can really be known, which leads to an excessive tolerance of unbelief and error. Is it now the thinking of Hertenstein and co that truth is primarily a process that people go through rather than an objective thing that people must conform their life to? If so, that would explain why the festival seems less doctrinaire than in the past. It would also explain the increased emphasis on mysticism, some of which is highly suspect, in my mind. I respect unbelief to a point, but I would counter the spirit of the age with something C.S. Lewis said: Some people never find truth because they're in love with the search.

Darin
Camp77 Rulez!

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by MefLiszto: 07-13-2007 14:26.

07-13-2007 14:24 MefLiszto is offline Send an Email to MefLiszto Search for Posts by MefLiszto Add MefLiszto to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of MefLiszto: MefLiszto YIM Account Name of MefLiszto: Feykdrulez
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » Cornerstone 2007 Obligations of an Artist

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH