77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » How did you first hear of the 77s? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page How did you first hear of the 77s? 3 Votes - Average Rating: 9.673 Votes - Average Rating: 9.673 Votes - Average Rating: 9.673 Votes - Average Rating: 9.673 Votes - Average Rating: 9.67
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Verve
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-222.jpg

Registration Date: 04-26-2007

How did you first hear of the 77s? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

There maybe a thread like this somewhere already, but I am curious.

05-15-2007 08:40 Verve is offline Send an Email to Verve Search for Posts by Verve Add Verve to your Buddy List
Audiori J
unregistered
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Moved to on-topic.
05-15-2007 08:41
Birchell Birchell is a male
Praying Naked

images/avatars/avatar-391.jpg

Registration Date: 10-08-2004
Favorite 77s album: Impossible to pick!!!

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

"All Fall Down" cassette tape of a tape of a tape that a buddy lent me in 84. I listened to it and said, "Mercy Mercy!!"
05-15-2007 09:29 Birchell is offline Send an Email to Birchell Search for Posts by Birchell Add Birchell to your Buddy List
jeffrey k. jeffrey k. is a male
Mr. Magoo

images/avatars/avatar-353.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2004

Being that I wasn't even into my teen years when the 77's first released records, I didn't actually hear of the band until the 1987 self-titled record came out. A friend of mine had a well intentioned older brother that hoped to free me from what he called the "evils" of listening to U2, and played me the tape. I still remember where I was....sitting in the drive through window line of a Wendy's on Manchester Rd. in St. Louis. I remember thinking "Do It For Love" was a cool song....but when "I Can't Get Over It" came on I was hooked.

jeffrey k.

05-15-2007 10:04 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
Rod Rod is a male
Baby Elvis

images/avatars/avatar-236.jpg

Registration Date: 08-21-2005
Favorite 77s album: When #s Get Serious

I worked at a Christian bookstore in 1982, when Ping Pong came out.
Word required that we buy at least 3 records and 2 cassettes of each release. They sat on the shelf for a long time. We did sell a lot of The Imperials, Dino, Evie and Keith Green. Of course, Amy Grant was starting her stranglehold on the industry with Age to Age.
05-15-2007 10:05 Rod is offline Send an Email to Rod Search for Posts by Rod Add Rod to your Buddy List
JR88 JR88 is a male

images/avatars/avatar-475.jpg

Registration Date: 05-28-2004
Favorite 77s album: 88

somewhere around '91.......found Sticks and Stones in a Christian bookstore and digged the cover then I found 88 and I was hooked!

Two reasons I picked up The Lost Dogs first album.....ROE and TAYLOR......

05-15-2007 10:42 JR88 is offline Send an Email to JR88 Homepage of JR88 Search for Posts by JR88 Add JR88 to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of JR88: l
snowblind snowblind is a male
Unbalanced

images/avatars/avatar-404.gif

Registration Date: 03-28-2006
Favorite 77s album: Sticks and Stones

I had a couple of friends that were big into the 77s back in the early- to mid-80s and kept telling me that they were great. Someone even tried to give me their tape of Ping Pong, but my musical tastes had not matured enough to appreciate good music -- so I declined. Later on, I bought a cassette of the Island Records s/t release and then I was hooked.

05-15-2007 12:21 snowblind is offline Send an Email to snowblind Homepage of snowblind Search for Posts by snowblind Add snowblind to your Buddy List
PennSt8 PennSt8 is a female
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 05-31-2004

Heard "Renaissance Man" on the radio late one Saturday night, but couldn't find the album anywhere in podunk western PA. About a year later, found All Fall Down in a bookstore at Penn State. Still have the vinyl.....
05-16-2007 16:38 PennSt8 is offline Send an Email to PennSt8 Search for Posts by PennSt8 Add PennSt8 to your Buddy List
Sharon Sharon is a female
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 06-07-2004
Favorite 77s album: 88 Miserable Crows Drowning

I saw the video of "Different Kind of Light" on a show called "Real Videos" back in the early 80s and have followed them ever since.

05-16-2007 17:03 Sharon is offline Send an Email to Sharon Search for Posts by Sharon Add Sharon to your Buddy List
dennis
Happy Roy

images/avatars/avatar-487.jpg

Registration Date: 10-03-2004
Favorite 77s album: "88"

a buddy of mine gave me a mix-tape of 77s tunes from the first two records.
05-16-2007 17:09 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
tom tom blue tom tom blue is a male
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-268.jpg

Registration Date: 05-30-2004
Favorite 77s album: STICKS & STONES

1984 with ALL FALL DOWN...the tape cover looked cool and at the time i discovered VECTOR and Charlie Peacock...ever since that time...i have been listening if i remember right i bought the tape thru one of those record clubs

05-16-2007 17:28 tom tom blue is offline Send an Email to tom tom blue Homepage of tom tom blue Search for Posts by tom tom blue Add tom tom blue to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of tom tom blue: raelzoo
zing zing is a male
Baby Elvis

images/avatars/avatar-594.jpg

Registration Date: 01-22-2005
Favorite 77s album: Depends on the day!

One day our high school band director told us that everyone could choose a christian music cd and he would order and pay for it. (still can't figure that one out, since there were over 50 people in the band). I heard this one guy talk about how great the 77's were and I thought I'd give them a shot since the CD would be free. I ordered Sticks and Stone and I've been hooked ever since.
05-16-2007 19:24 zing is offline Send an Email to zing Search for Posts by zing Add zing to your Buddy List
Squidzit
Kite Without a String

images/avatars/avatar-490.gif

Registration Date: 05-28-2004
Location: IL, Home of Rod Blagojevich (I never voted for him!)

Who are the 77s? Confused

Tongue

Driver8 got me hooked. I resisted at first, but after he got me to listen to Sticks and Stones I thought they were a good little band. Pleased

Too bad they broke up. Frown

Shocked

05-16-2007 20:53 Squidzit is offline Send an Email to Squidzit Homepage of Squidzit Search for Posts by Squidzit Add Squidzit to your Buddy List
Alex Alex is a male
Mr. Magoo

images/avatars/avatar-115.jpg

Registration Date: 05-01-2005
Favorite 77s album: Eighty Eight

Got to hear "You don't scare me" when I was sixteen. Loved it - but the whole AFD album was too much pop for me. I was more into AC/DC style hard rock back then. Years later I grabbed a cheap copy of 88 at a christian concert CD- table and was hooked.

Alex

05-17-2007 00:28 Alex is offline Send an Email to Alex Homepage of Alex Search for Posts by Alex Add Alex to your Buddy List
Audiori J
unregistered

Saw glimpses of them in magazines, our music store had a walkman/headphone setup where you could pre-listen to stuff before you buy. I think I heard them first there.. would of been All Fall Down I think. I had seen the Ilsand record in music stores before that but had not heard them.
05-17-2007 00:42
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-92.jpeg

Registration Date: 05-27-2004

I actually remember both of us listening to Ping Pong over the Abyss on that little tape player.. when it was new I assume. At least I thought you listened to it too. I have a very clear memory of hearing the title track blaring through those crappy headphones.. Tongue

I also remember hearing "Renaissance Man" (from the same album of course) on a sampler tape I had at the time. Seems like it had Undercover and a few others on it. I don't guess that was "whats shakin'" was it?
05-17-2007 00:52 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-92.jpeg

Registration Date: 05-27-2004

Oh, no.. that wasn't "Whats Shakin'".. I think it was called "soaring" or something along those lines. It looked like a praise and worship maranatha record with a soaring dove on the cover, etc. But it was full of the 77s, Undercover and other similar artists. That may have been a little later though.. can't remember.
05-17-2007 01:12 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

images/avatars/avatar-381.gif

Registration Date: 11-17-2004
Favorite 77s album: The one's Mike plays guitar on

I was looking for the last time that I answered this one, but couldn't find it.

Mine relates back to Old School A of G "C.A. Rally's." I had become buddies with a guy, during Northern MO district youth camp, and he attended church in O'Fallon, MO. While catching up with him at a "Sectional C.A. Rally" he told me about an incredible ALBUM that he had just bought, called PPOTA. I immediately went out and placed an order for the disc. This was in 1982.

Thought the album was WAY better than the other stuff that was available at the time (at the christian bookstore) and pretty much wore that album out. When AFD came out, I was very disappointed, and did not listen again until a buddy loaned me Sticks & Stones. From that point on, I have been a loyal fan, but RARE listener of AFD.

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies
and i don't understand it"

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
05-17-2007 05:12 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-546.jpg

Registration Date: 09-30-2004
Favorite 77s album: Tom Tom Blues

I have been a Sevens fan from the start. I had become fed up with what was on radio at the time (I was very offended by the masturbation song by Cyndi Lauper that was in constant rotation) and I decided I would create my own imaginary radio station (P-103, I think I called it) by making Christian rock cassette tape mixes. I think I made 20 tapes over a 3 year period. To have an adequate variety of artists on each tape, I had to expand my listening base so I sought out new Christian rock music. I'm assuming that I discovered the 77's through a CCM advertisement or review. I was always into classic rock (Kansas, Jethro Tull, Led Zeppelin)...wasn't really into the new wave or punk scenes...but Ping Pong blew me away mainly from the high energy rock & in-your-face lyrics from 2 songs mainly, the title track & It's So Sad.
I've been a listener & purchaser of their music ever since.

05-17-2007 08:05 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
Amadeus Amadeus is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-407.jpg

Registration Date: 12-05-2006
Favorite 77s album: 77s (1987)

It was 1991 and I had just got back from overseas duty and was going on to my next assignment in Florida. I came across a few people who were part of The Navigators and they invited me to one of their weekly meetings. I was told the group leader was a musician and he sang alot as well as lead the Bible study. When I got there this guy was great, he was into Kansas/AD, Livgren, Barry McGuire, etc and he played that stuff before we started the study and afterwards a guy I befriended asked me what I was into and he gave me Sticks and Stones to listen to. I put it into my cassette player on the way home and I was immediately blown away. That weekend, he and I went to a Christian bookstore in Pensacola that was known to carry some of the non-mainstream Christian music and I bought all the 77s I could find.

On a side not, the church I attended in Destin, FL had Dave Hope (Kansas/AD) as their youth pastor. Great guy.

"Every saint has a past; every sinner has a future" - Andrew Volpe
05-17-2007 19:26 Amadeus is offline Send an Email to Amadeus Homepage of Amadeus Search for Posts by Amadeus Add Amadeus to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » How did you first hear of the 77s?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH