77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » Upcoming Releases » New 77's album » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (20): « first ... « previous 6 7 [8] 9 10 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page New 77's album 7 Votes - Average Rating: 10.007 Votes - Average Rating: 10.007 Votes - Average Rating: 10.007 Votes - Average Rating: 10.007 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
dennis
Happy Roy

images/avatars/avatar-487.jpg

Registration Date: 10-03-2004
Favorite 77s album: "88"

RE: and now for something completely different... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Sorry! Back on topic! Pleased

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Love
After endless delays due to illness and so many other things, we finally resumed work on the album yesterday, and rather than jumping back into more background or lead vocals as planned, we decided to record a song that I had on the list of hopefuls for the original basic tracking sessions nearly two years ago.

Along with the electric stuff, I really wanted to present a song or two done in the traditional format that most of these songs were originally cut in over seventy years ago. One of my favorites of these is the wonderful "Everybody Ought To Pray Sometime" done by the 'guitar evangelists' Dennis Crumpton & Robert Summers. I really wanted to go for a backyard (as opposed to 'front porch') blues feel so the guys suggested that we cut totally live, which completely scared the crap outta me, but in the end it was totally the way to go.

Rather than the usual b***/drums/electric guitar configuration, Mark played an un-amplified electric guitar tuned to an open E chord while I strummed an acoustic 12-string with only 6 strings tuned to the same tuning. Bruce shocked us both by playing two tambourines with his feet while tapping on a small 8" drum head. It looked and sounded ridiculous while we were doing it, but when we heard the playback I was completely dumbfounded -- that slight tapping upon the drum head created a m***ive thump that sounded like one of John Bonham's gargantuan kick drums. It was completely scary and almost had me convinced that Bruce was secretly practicing some kind of voodoo on the side. In reality, it probably had more to do with the amazing microphones we are currently using, including the coveted Neumann U-47 -- these babies deliver so much more than we've gotten out of any other mics ever. This session proved it.

In the end, we got a complete track, vocals and all, in a few hours with only a couple of overdubs on electric slide (I forgot mine and Mark couldn't find his, so Mark's son Dylan suggested dipping into Mark's drill bits -- I had to lay the guitar on my lap but it worked! Any old port in a storm Wink )

This song will make a perfect album ender and we can't wait for you to hear it. The session went so well, in fact, that we're gonna leave all the mics up and maybe try a few more in this style. I LOVE recording like this -- learn the song on the fly, jump in at the deep end, and in two or three hours you're done. Just like the old days, and it sounds it. Most of my most treasured records of all time were done this way. It's my favorite way to work.
02-03-2008 13:40 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
MarkyMark77 MarkyMark77 is a male
Drowning with Land in Sight

images/avatars/avatar-456.jpg

Registration Date: 03-24-2005
Favorite 77s album: 99

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
One of my favorites of these is the wonderful "Everybody Ought To Pray Sometime" done by the 'guitar evangelists' Dennis Crumpton & Robert Summers.

So...

Perhaps a 30 second preview of a rough mix of this track could be posted?

Perhaps?

PERHAPS?!?!???????

02-04-2008 11:19 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

images/avatars/avatar-381.gif

Registration Date: 11-17-2004
Favorite 77s album: The one's Mike plays guitar on

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by MarkyMark77
quote:
One of my favorites of these is the wonderful "Everybody Ought To Pray Sometime" done by the 'guitar evangelists' Dennis Crumpton & Robert Summers.

So...

Perhaps a 30 second preview of a rough mix of this track could be posted?

Perhaps?

PERHAPS?!?!???????

I would dig that too!

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies
and i don't understand it"

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
02-04-2008 11:29 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
Nailtatt Nailtatt is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-212.jpg

Registration Date: 05-28-2004
Favorite 77s album: Sticks and Stones

I just wanna say that I need this album now more than ever. Can't wait for Doc and company to wrap it up! I am jonesing bigtime!

By the way, is there a title yet for this bad boy?

02-04-2008 12:28 Nailtatt is offline Send an Email to Nailtatt Search for Posts by Nailtatt Add Nailtatt to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Nailtatt
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

still working on that Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

How's about FUN WITH STEAK Happy
02-04-2008 14:02 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
Nailtatt Nailtatt is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-212.jpg

Registration Date: 05-28-2004

RE: still working on that Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:

Excellent! Done!

02-04-2008 14:13 Nailtatt is offline Send an Email to Nailtatt Search for Posts by Nailtatt Add Nailtatt to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Nailtatt
Gur Gur is a male
Mezzo

Registration Date: 01-14-2008
Location: And into this chasm God would let a million Jacob Bayers float down like sparkling dust on a dry wind.

Confused

02-04-2008 16:03 Gur is offline Send an Email to Gur Search for Posts by Gur Add Gur to your Buddy List
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Registration Date: 06-01-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning with Land in Sight

RE: still working on that Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:

Yet another surf-flavored album. Smile

02-04-2008 17:18 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
God-rules God-rules is a male
Happy Roy

Registration Date: 06-03-2004

quote:

Well Done!

Michaelpunintended

I'm gonna put my carbon footprint right up a greenies lactose intolerant hind end! - squidzit 2008
02-05-2008 05:54 God-rules is offline Send an Email to God-rules Search for Posts by God-rules Add God-rules to your Buddy List
pass the bacon
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-440.jpg

Registration Date: 08-27-2007
Favorite 77s album: that really, really good one

quote:

parsimony & beans

"We are not necessarily doubting that God will do the best for us, we are wondering how painful the best will turn out to be" - C.S. Lewis
02-05-2008 11:21 pass the bacon is offline Send an Email to pass the bacon Search for Posts by pass the bacon Add pass the bacon to your Buddy List
nick nick is a male
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 12-02-2004

Man! With each post from Doc it gets harder to wait!!! This is going to be great!

I believe that was how Paul McCartney recorded his Run Devil Run CD (or something like that) for the same reason; a lot of his "heros" recorded like that and he wanted it to have a Cavern feel to it. Now this will blow that away but same concept Smile
02-05-2008 14:43 nick is offline Send an Email to nick Search for Posts by nick Add nick to your Buddy List
snowblind snowblind is a male
Unbalanced

images/avatars/avatar-404.gif

Registration Date: 03-28-2006

?????????
Shocked

02-14-2008 15:38 snowblind is offline Send an Email to snowblind Homepage of snowblind Search for Posts by snowblind Add snowblind to your Buddy List
MarkyMark77 MarkyMark77 is a male
Drowning with Land in Sight

images/avatars/avatar-456.jpg

Registration Date: 03-24-2005
Favorite 77s album: 99

quote:
Man! With each post from Doc it gets harder to wait!!! This is going to be great!

So, is there a 30-second rough mix clip from at least one of the tunes to be heard? Maybe the good Doctor can find it in his heart to throw us a tiny scrap?

I know I already asked, but maybe if I keep bugging...

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by MarkyMark77: 02-27-2008 12:40.

02-27-2008 12:38 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
Gur Gur is a male
Mezzo

Location: And into this chasm God would let a million Jacob Bayers float down like sparkling dust on a dry wind.

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

we like scraps
02-27-2008 12:53 Gur is offline Send an Email to Gur Search for Posts by Gur Add Gur to your Buddy List
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

crap on the scraps Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Spoke with the guys, and it's a consensus that as much as we would like to leak some of this in that way (or even a whole song), we are not gonna.

Sorry. You'll just have to wait.

And with that, I'm on my way to the studio to work on it some more. All lead vocals are done, background vocals are nearly complete, and all that's left after that are little odds and ends, fixes, and I think I have one more electric solo to play and that's about it. Mark has already started mixing on the ones that are completely finished so we're getting there.

This is gonna be good.
02-28-2008 17:25 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-546.jpg

Registration Date: 09-30-2004
Favorite 77s album: Tom Tom Blues

RE: crap on the scraps Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Spoke with the guys, and it's a consensus that as much as we would like to leak some of this in that way (or even a whole song), we are not gonna.

Sorry. You'll just have to wait.

And with that, I'm on my way to the studio to work on it some more. All lead vocals are done, background vocals are nearly complete, and all that's left after that are little odds and ends, fixes, and I think I have one more electric solo to play and that's about it. Mark has already started mixing on the ones that are completely finished so we're getting there.

This is gonna be good.

That's probably an understatement.

Cool

I'm reeeeaaaallly looking forward to this. I hope you have it available by C'Stone so you can sell a crapload of CDs. Big Grin

02-28-2008 18:55 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
Gur Gur is a male
Mezzo

Can we say, "crap,' or are we going to have to go back someday soon and edit it?
02-28-2008 19:09 Gur is offline Send an Email to Gur Search for Posts by Gur Add Gur to your Buddy List
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-546.jpg

Registration Date: 09-30-2004
Favorite 77s album: Tom Tom Blues

quote:
Originally posted by Gur
Can we say, "crap,' or are we going to have to go back someday soon and edit it?

Crap's permissable, but shit is not

Tongue

02-28-2008 20:14 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
Gur Gur is a male
Mezzo

Cool

I agree completely about the understatement too.
02-28-2008 20:15 Gur is offline Send an Email to Gur Search for Posts by Gur Add Gur to your Buddy List
nick nick is a male
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 12-02-2004

This is great!! It is getting closer. Good to hear that!!!!
03-02-2008 13:36 nick is offline Send an Email to nick Search for Posts by nick Add nick to your Buddy List
Pages (20): « first ... « previous 6 7 [8] 9 10 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » Upcoming Releases » New 77's album

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH