77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » CD & DVD Reviews » Lost Dogs - The Lost Cabin And The Mystery Trees » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Lost Dogs - The Lost Cabin And The Mystery Trees 7 Votes - Average Rating: 7.437 Votes - Average Rating: 7.43
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
larryl larryl is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-446.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2004

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

i listened to it again today, and i stand by my original review......

except that i am not so sure it is in competition for their BEST..... though it is certainly better than some...

06-14-2007 20:23 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Homepage of larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of larryl: nashvillelarryl YIM Account Name of larryl: larryl922
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

images/avatars/avatar-381.gif

Registration Date: 11-17-2004
Favorite 77s album: The one's Mike plays guitar on

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by larryl

except that i am not so sure it is in competition for their BEST..... though it is certainly better than some...

Currently on i-tunes.

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies
and i don't understand it"

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
06-14-2007 20:42 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
Wild Blue Wild Blue is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-202.gif

Registration Date: 04-30-2007

quote:
Originally posted by larryl

I'd definitely say it was in competition for their best. I think that honor belongs to Scenic Routes to me, but Lost Cabin has to be close behind.
06-14-2007 22:39 Wild Blue is offline Send an Email to Wild Blue Search for Posts by Wild Blue Add Wild Blue to your Buddy List
Montgomery
Someone New

Registration Date: 05-13-2007

I'd agree that its one of the best. Easily up there with Gift Horse and Little Red Big Grin
06-15-2007 12:11 Montgomery is offline Send an Email to Montgomery Search for Posts by Montgomery Add Montgomery to your Buddy List
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

quote:
Originally posted by Montgomery
I'd agree that its one of the best. Easily up there with Gift Horse and Little Red Big Grin

Production wise, I would say that it is much better than Real Men Cry. I do dig the steel guitar on this one, too.

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
06-16-2007 05:48 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
77sfan 77sfan is a male

images/avatars/avatar-231.jpg

Registration Date: 06-08-2007
Favorite 77s album: The Island Album

Lost Cabin is an okay disc by the Dogs, but does not compare to Scenic Routes, LRRH or GH. They haven't put a great album out since Gene left this mortal coil.

They came close to a good album with this one, but it's still missing something.

~Saint Augustine~
06-16-2007 07:38 77sfan is offline Search for Posts by 77sfan Add 77sfan to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of 77sfan: gj100xtra
Audiori J
unregistered

This is my opinion of that disc and how the Dogs career has progressed posted from the Dogs board;

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J
I think some people just don't get what it's all about. You either do or you don't. One comparison I always see is the comparison to the first couple Dogs albums, this alone shows a lack of understanding. The first couple Dogs albums were a culmination of thrown away tracks from these guys various bands all put together and used in a format that worked, where they wouldn't have if they were used when they were written. Smokescreen for example was written long before the Dogs first album, but it wouldn't fit on an old 77s album.
The stuff on the albums released after these first few albums had to be newly written material. That is a difference. Actually written with the Lost Dogs in mind. That also coupled with the loss of Gene makes these albums very different animals from the first couple. Not to mention the fan heightened excitement of the first time these guys got together has worn off since the first couple of albums. It's no longer a strange fantasy collaberation, its now a unit with a purpose. These guys now understand each other and know each other and are great friends.
Along with that comes the schtick and self depreciating humor, the ribbing each other. They try to have some fun with the shows and each other. The reason? Because they are not pretentious, they don't take themselves entirely seriously. This is not a new phenomenon, Daniel Amos started out as an accoustic trio that made some great country-ish songs with some schtick thrown in.
You don't get Mike Roe without some blistering guitar and some sad soulfull songs. You don't get Derri Daugherty without his pleasing vocals and atmospheric feel. You don't get Terry Taylor without his incredible songwriting and wacky schtick. Throw them together and you get the Lost Dogs for what they are. You either love it or hate it for what it is.
As this band has grown closer together they are no longer what we had at the beginning, they are a band where each members influence is clearly seen and they understand each other and what they are as a whole.
Looking back, from the very first song on the very first album we were told where they were going, you either sit back and enjoy the ride with them or are left behind.

Yeah we'll take the scenic routes
(and stop and smell the roses)
find out what it's all about
(with eyes wide open)
(with wide-eyed wonder)
(theres's nowhere else I'd rather be)
(chase the endless summer)
Paint the common things with mystery
and renovate our history
when we take the scenic routes
the cloud enfolded Trinity
unpacks the ancient tapestry

Mutt could be seen as "renovating their history", while Ilsand Dreams is a nice "stop to smell the roses", and the Lost Cabin is another example of "painting the common things with mystery".
Sometimes the lyrics hold tiny keys that help you unlock the mysterious metaphorical actual points of the songs. Some people miss them but some people find them. For example, from the song "Only One Bum in Cornoa Del Mar" we have this line;

Down at one local park bench
under a blanket called "Home"
the rain falling hard now
but I assure you he's never alone
He's always got an invisible buddy there
They speak to each other in tongues
Once I think I heard them muttering
calling all of us "stinking C.D.M. bums!"

Who could the invisble buddy be that you speak to in tongues?

Now all this happened years ago
Sadly today our hero's not around
Some say he's been seen in Fresno
others say they heard he drowned
Still others swear he got baptized,
spreading the Word both near and far
and some of us think he may be
the richest man who ever
lived in Corona Del Mar

Matthew 25:40
And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

There is almost always more there than meets the eye. Some people get it and some people don't. Occassionally they have to throw in a song that makes the point more obvious for the obtuse. This time around that song is "Thats Where Jesus Is", earlier it was "Breathe Deep" and "Pray Where You Are".
This is a great album from a great band that has grown together. Brothers finding their way down the road of life with all its unexpected bumps, twists and turns, like the personal song "Whispering Memories" is testament to. I for one am glad to be along for the ride, because heck, we are headed to the same place. The message is driven home, as are we, when the wheel has been given to Christ.
06-16-2007 08:32
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

quote:
This is my opinion of that disc and how the Dogs career has progressed posted from the Dogs board;

quote:
I think some people just don't get what it's all about. You either do or you don't. One comparison I always see is the comparison to the first couple Dogs albums, this alone shows a lack of understanding. The first couple Dogs albums were a culmination of thrown away tracks from these guys various bands all put together and used in a format that worked, where they wouldn't have if they were used when they were written. Smokescreen for example was written long before the Dogs first album, but it wouldn't fit on an old 77s album.
The stuff on the albums released after these first few albums had to be newly written material. That is a difference. Actually written with the Lost Dogs in mind. That also coupled with the loss of Gene makes these albums very different animals from the first couple. Not to mention the fan heightened excitement of the first time these guys got together has worn off since the first couple of albums. It's no longer a strange fantasy collaberation, its now a unit with a purpose. These guys now understand each other and know each other and are great friends.
Along with that comes the schtick and self depreciating humor, the ribbing each other. They try to have some fun with the shows and each other. The reason? Because they are not pretentious, they don't take themselves entirely seriously. This is not a new phenomenon, Daniel Amos started out as an accoustic trio that made some great country-ish songs with some schtick thrown in.
You don't get Mike Roe without some blistering guitar and some sad soulfull songs. You don't get Derri Daugherty without his pleasing vocals and atmospheric feel. You don't get Terry Taylor without his incredible songwriting and wacky schtick. Throw them together and you get the Lost Dogs for what they are. You either love it or hate it for what it is.
As this band has grown closer together they are no longer what we had at the beginning, they are a band where each members influence is clearly seen and they understand each other and what they are as a whole.
Looking back, from the very first song on the very first album we were told where they were going, you either sit back and enjoy the ride with them or are left behind.

Yeah we'll take the scenic routes
(and stop and smell the roses)
find out what it's all about
(with eyes wide open)
(with wide-eyed wonder)
(theres's nowhere else I'd rather be)
(chase the endless summer)
Paint the common things with mystery
and renovate our history
the cloud enfolded Trinity
unpacks the ancient tapestry

Mutt could be seen as "renovating their history", while Ilsand Dreams is a nice "stop to smell the roses", and the Lost Cabin is another example of "painting the common things with mystery".
Sometimes the lyrics hold tiny keys that help you unlock the mysterious metaphorical actual points of the songs. Some people miss them but some people find them. For example, from the song "Only One Bum in Cornoa Del Mar" we have this line;

Down at one local park bench
under a blanket called "Home"
the rain falling hard now
but I assure you he's never alone
He's always got an invisible buddy there
They speak to each other in tongues
Once I think I heard them muttering
calling all of us "stinking C.D.M. bums!"

Who could the invisble buddy be that you speak to in tongues?

Now all this happened years ago
Sadly today our hero's not around
Some say he's been seen in Fresno
others say they heard he drowned
Still others swear he got baptized,
spreading the Word both near and far
and some of us think he may be
the richest man who ever
lived in Corona Del Mar

Matthew 25:40
And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

There is almost always more there than meets the eye. Some people get it and some people don't. Occassionally they have to throw in a song that makes the point more obvious for the obtuse. This time around that song is "Thats Where Jesus Is", earlier it was "Breathe Deep" and "Pray Where You Are".
This is a great album from a great band that has grown together. Brothers finding their way down the road of life with all its unexpected bumps, twists and turns, like the personal song "Whispering Memories" is testament to. I for one am glad to be along for the ride, because heck, we are headed to the same place. The message is driven home, as are we, when the wheel has been given to Christ.

Definitely see your position here, and like I have said...it's the disc that's been in the car's CD player for the past month. I am REALLY working at letting the disc grow on me.

Production on it is WAY better than Real Men Cry. I like Real Men Cry, but I wish that it was cleaner, in the production.

so...I am working on it, yes I "get it", and yes the throwback into the "wonderama-ish" vocals in "...Corona del Mar", are still hard for me to like. That's too bad, because I do like the story.

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
06-16-2007 08:53 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
Audiori J
unregistered

Yeah the original post on the Dogs board was more of a reply to someone else, who basically said that they didn't get it.

I like the versatility of the original couple albums, and I miss Gene's contribution. But I also like what they are becoming as a unit. I think the last couple albums they have really started to blend together into a band creating new music instead of a collaboration of seperate people bringing individual things to the table.
06-16-2007 09:36
eugene
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 07-21-2004
Location: "burt brother im not the 1 whosevil . its the devil your anniversary who prowls about liek a roarin lion seeeking who 2 devore"- tor replying to nails..... :D

quote:
Originally posted by 77sfan
Lost Cabin is an okay disc by the Dogs, but does not compare to Scenic Routes, LRRH or GH. They haven't put a great album out since Gene left this mortal coil.

They came close to a good album with this one, but it's still missing something.

it is the best album sans gene..... Cool
nobody could ever replace him on singing or engineering.....
and i do not consider that being negative.... Roll Eyes Baby
buy it if you don't already own it! Pleased

06-16-2007 10:01 eugene is offline Send an Email to eugene Search for Posts by eugene Add eugene to your Buddy List
Montgomery
Someone New

Registration Date: 05-13-2007

It really feels like the most mature Lost Dogs album to date. It feels like the band is working together and writing together better than ever before. The production is cleaner and the sound is tighter. At times I miss that early roughness, but I bet they'll still make a nod in that direction at times. "get me ready' feels a little like that actually.

The Dogs musiical style is always changing and has since Scenic Routes and I'm fine with that. I've also come to terms with the fact that Gene is gone. Its sad and painful at times, but musically Gene was just a part of what they did. That part is gone, but I'm sure his influence is still there. Whats left is the other 3 fourths of a really great band.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Montgomery: 06-16-2007 12:49.

06-16-2007 12:48 Montgomery is offline Send an Email to Montgomery Search for Posts by Montgomery Add Montgomery to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-92.jpeg

Registration Date: 05-27-2004

I agree with that I think.

quote:
Its sad and painful at times,

Especially when "Rebecca Go Home," "Jimmy," "Dunce Cap" or "The Last Testament" comes up in shuffle play... Crying
06-16-2007 13:18 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
77sfan 77sfan is a male

It is a good album, just not a great one. I think NCT is their best work sans gene.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not knocking the Dogs, but Lost Cabin is just not a disk that has gelled with me yet.

~Saint Augustine~
06-16-2007 13:21 77sfan is offline Search for Posts by 77sfan Add 77sfan to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of 77sfan: gj100xtra
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
I agree with that I think.

quote:
Its sad and painful at times,

Especially when "Rebecca Go Home," "Jimmy," "Dunce Cap" or "The Last Testament" comes up in shuffle play... Crying

Last Testament, Fortunate Sons, Jimmy & Dunce Cap have always been 4 of my favorite Dog's tunes, even prior to Gene's passing. "Rebecca Go Home" hit me especially hard when my mother passed away a couple of years ago, after a long illness.

I haven't given up on the Cabin.

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
06-16-2007 14:49 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
Chesterdox Chesterdox is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-198.jpg

Registration Date: 06-05-2006
Favorite 77s album: Holy Ghost Building

I got Lost Cabins about 3 weeks ago and it has grown on me a lot since then. Broken Like Brooklyn is absolutely beautiful--an instant classic. One More Day and Hardening My Heart are incredible and prove again that Mike is not just your 'burn it up' guy, but possibly the best sweet-song singer ever. And the production on this album is amazing, also.

I do think there is one flaw: Only One Bum. It's a good song, but it doesn't belong on this album. Remove that song and Lost Cabins is a masterpiece. To me it's akin to Over the Rhine's Back Porch re-release of Good Dog Bad Dog. It was a great album when it was an independant release... but when released on Back Porch having axed A Gospel Number, Jack's Valentine, & adding It's Never Quite What It Seems, it became a masterpiece.

As far as where it belongs in the ranks of other Dogs albums, I'm one of those who think Scenic Routes & Riding Hood are practically sacred. I agree that comparing Lost Cabins to those albums is something of an apples-n-oranges comparison, but that's mainly because I have such an emotional attachment for the first two: they remind me of when I was a young Christian hearing this amazing music for the first time--any new Dogs album can't recreate that. So, I'd say that besides SR & LRRH, Lost Cabins is the Dogs best album, hands down.

06-28-2007 07:32 Chesterdox is offline Send an Email to Chesterdox Homepage of Chesterdox Search for Posts by Chesterdox Add Chesterdox to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Chesterdox: none YIM Account Name of Chesterdox: none View the MSN Profile for Chesterdox
MarkyMark77 MarkyMark77 is a male
Drowning with Land in Sight

images/avatars/avatar-456.jpg

Registration Date: 03-24-2005
Favorite 77s album: 99

Most reviews always compare the new material with the artist's previous work. I try to stay away from that, and ask the question, "if this were a new artist, with no back catalog, and I had no previous experience with them, how would I like this CD?" I try to listen based on the merits of the music alone, not my expectations. Sometimes, it's hard.

But, in that vein of thinking, "Lost Cabin" really shines for me. "Broken Like Brooklyn" is probably my favorite, although they're all great. I'm not really sure why this disc doesn't resonate with some fans: it's the logical progression of what the Dogs have become, evolving from a side project to an actual band in their own right.

77 BC, those were my favorites from the first two discs, too. I play and sing "Angus Shane" all the time when it's just me and my guitar.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by MarkyMark77: 06-28-2007 11:09.

06-28-2007 11:07 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
LuR KiNG
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-86.jpg

Registration Date: 09-17-2004

RE: The Lost Cabin And The Mystery Trees Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I think I will DiG this out this weekend Cool

maybe even Island Dreams & a trip to the local beach Smile
06-28-2007 15:00 LuR KiNG is offline Send an Email to LuR KiNG Search for Posts by LuR KiNG Add LuR KiNG to your Buddy List
77sfan 77sfan is a male

RE: The Lost Cabin And The Mystery Trees Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by LuR KiNG
I think I will DiG this out this weekend Cool

maybe even Island Dreams & a trip to the local beach Smile

I'm with ya, I'll give Lost Cabin another chance or two, but not Island Dreams.

~Saint Augustine~
06-28-2007 16:20 77sfan is offline Search for Posts by 77sfan Add 77sfan to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of 77sfan: gj100xtra
Fatman
Someone New

Registration Date: 05-28-2007

Beautiful album. Breathtaking. Some of the best melodies and lyrics I've heard in years.
07-17-2007 11:45 Fatman is offline Send an Email to Fatman Search for Posts by Fatman Add Fatman to your Buddy List
Alex Alex is a male
Mr. Magoo

images/avatars/avatar-115.jpg

Registration Date: 05-01-2005
Favorite 77s album: Eighty Eight

As for now, TLCATMT has a much heavier rotation in my stereo than SR and LLRH during the last months.

GRS Pt1 is still my fav Dogs CD.

Alex

07-17-2007 14:49 Alex is offline Send an Email to Alex Homepage of Alex Search for Posts by Alex Add Alex to your Buddy List
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » CD & DVD Reviews » Lost Dogs - The Lost Cabin And The Mystery Trees

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH