77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » CD & DVD Reviews » 77s DVD » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (6): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page 77s DVD 8 Votes - Average Rating: 8.758 Votes - Average Rating: 8.758 Votes - Average Rating: 8.758 Votes - Average Rating: 8.75
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-546.jpg

Registration Date: 09-30-2004
Favorite 77s album: Tom Tom Blues

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by larryl
from http://banophernalia.com/reviews/music/artists_roe.htm

True enough this is not the 77s, but they were all there: Bruce Spencer, Mark Harmon, and Scott Reams. Along with Michael Gregory on guitar and Carey Avery on percussion.

I'm not familiar w/ Gregory but I sure was impressed by his guitar work on the video. Listening to the CD, I always assumed Roe was handling all the solos. Gregory rocks!

07-14-2006 21:11 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

Useless is my favorite clip of all Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

You guys are all useless -- I adore the Presley clip! Yeh, my look was grotesque but it was a joke after all. I defy any Presley imitator alive today to sound more like Elvis than I did that night Pleased

quote:
Originally posted by mr. magoo
[quote]Originally posted by Audiori J
The clips are all great, its fun watching all the various 77s eras. The Warehouse films are my favorite I think, that one looks almost exactly like the pictures on '88. Same black and white, same drum head, same hairstyles, etc. Most of the films made me want to see more of them though.

Now.... Useless Parsley..... um, .....MIKE?!?!?! Shocked

yeah Useless Parsley was useless[
/quote]
07-14-2006 23:40 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
larryl larryl is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-446.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2004

RE: Useless is my favorite clip of all Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Love
You guys are all useless -- I adore the Presley clip! Yeh, my look was grotesque but it was a joke after all. I defy any Presley imitator alive today to sound more like Elvis than I did that night Pleased

i agree mike......i just sat there staring....cracking up

07-15-2006 06:22 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Homepage of larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of larryl: nashvillelarryl YIM Account Name of larryl: larryl922
mr. magoo mr. magoo is a male
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 07-10-2006
Favorite 77s album: Eighty Eight

RE: Useless is my favorite clip of all Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Love

quote:
Originally posted by mr. magoo
[quote]Originally posted by Audiori J
The clips are all great, its fun watching all the various 77s eras. The Warehouse films are my favorite I think, that one looks almost exactly like the pictures on '88. Same black and white, same drum head, same hairstyles, etc. Most of the films made me want to see more of them though.

Now.... Useless Parsley..... um, .....MIKE?!?!?! Shocked

yeah Useless Parsley was useless[
/quote]

Red Face

Tongue

07-15-2006 07:09 mr. magoo is offline Send an Email to mr. magoo Search for Posts by mr. magoo Add mr. magoo to your Buddy List
Audiori J
unregistered
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Oh it IS hilarious! Your singing was dead on, the manurisms were all pure Elvis, he used to do a lot of those jokes. I am just suprised you let it be on there. I am glad, but suprised.

I actually thought the name "Useless" was a pretty good pun, considering how Elvis got in his later years. His songs were peppered with semi-coherant jokes and almost parodies of himself. With his outrageous costumes and all that. Where was the Rock 'N Roll he was King of? The 50's Elvis was King, the 70's Elvis was a different member of the King's court.
07-15-2006 09:54
larryl larryl is a male
Rocks in your Head

http://gracehotel.net/Albums/Dvd/77s06.html

Finally, after years of rumors, we have this fantastic package from one of the best bands around. No mere concert DVD, this is a full fledged history of the 77s. A two disc set, totaling almost 3 hours, it has something for everyone, and somehow, still leaves you wanting more.

Disc 1 contains all the 'official' music videos, several of which were played on MTV in the early years, before everything got so corporate. Also included in these is Pat Boone playing their video for 'a different kind of late' on his gospel TV show. These are a blast to watch, seeing how both the music, and the video quality changed over time.

Next on Disc 1 we find a bunch of rare video clips, of everything from the video press kit for the 'pray naked' album to a very young Mike Roe doing set as an Elvis impersonator. Finally, there is the full 'Safe As Milk Live' set from Cornerstone, 1997, which was basically the 77s, with a few guests.

Disc 2 is concert footage, starting with a 1982 perfomance at the 77s homebase in those days, The Warehouse, in Sacramento, and ending with a small venue in 1999. Seeing the 77's progress from being a bunch of fresh faced kids making rock music, to Mike's long-haired psychedelic rock phase, and finally, to the mature performer he is today, is almost breath-taking. You sometimes forget, when seeing him today, that he has been doing this for 24 years. This disc shows every era, every bad hair-do (and boy are there some!), and some of the best guitar playing you are likely to see anywhere. They captured some of the band's best songs, in some truly inspired performances. As Roe says in the notes for the DVD, on a good night, they could 'levitate a room'.

Speaking of the notes...Mike Roe sits down and walks through a bit of the history of the band, and how the 'official videos' came to be.

This is a package that any fan, even casual ones, should own. The sheer scope of the project make it worth every cent, and seeing, as many have called them, 'the best band that too few have heard' at their very best, is worth much more. It makes me wish I had found this band much sooner, as their live appearances are much more rare now, though no less powerful; they still have it, and, on a good night, can 'levitate a room'

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by larryl: 07-15-2006 11:39.

07-15-2006 11:36 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Homepage of larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of larryl: nashvillelarryl YIM Account Name of larryl: larryl922
theo theo is a male
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 09-01-2004

WOW...wow...

W-O-W!!!!!!!

I am SO impressed, Doc! What a great collection. From now on when you make reference to something I won't go all stupid on you and have to admit my ignorance of things 77s related.

I feel like a got a personal tour of the past and all I missed out on at that time. I feel all caught up. I'm gonna dine on this collection for years.

See you in the PAC NW come September.

THEE

07-16-2006 09:30 theo is offline Send an Email to theo Homepage of theo Search for Posts by theo Add theo to your Buddy List
MarkfromScotland MarkfromScotland is a male
Someone New

Registration Date: 07-17-2006
Favorite 77s album: Pray Naked

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Big Grin Thia dvd is awesome, buy it yesterday. This is my first posting on this site, but the quality demands it.
Mike you are good
God you are aweaome.

High praise from a Scot, Mark.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by MarkfromScotland: 07-17-2006 18:37.

07-17-2006 18:35 MarkfromScotland is offline Send an Email to MarkfromScotland Search for Posts by MarkfromScotland Add MarkfromScotland to your Buddy List
LuR KiNG
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-86.jpg

Registration Date: 09-17-2004

quote:
Originally posted by MarkfromScotland
Big Grin Thia dvd is awesome, buy it yesterday. This is my first posting on this site, but the quality demands it.
Mike you are good
God you are aweaome.

CooL & welcome to the 77sMB Cool
07-17-2006 20:05 LuR KiNG is offline Send an Email to LuR KiNG Search for Posts by LuR KiNG Add LuR KiNG to your Buddy List
Alex Alex is a male
Mr. Magoo

images/avatars/avatar-115.jpg

Registration Date: 05-01-2005
Favorite 77s album: Eighty Eight

quote:
Originally posted by MarkfromScotland
Mike you are good
God you are aweaome.

Scotland is great. I love that country. Been there twice.

Alex

07-18-2006 02:25 Alex is offline Send an Email to Alex Homepage of Alex Search for Posts by Alex Add Alex to your Buddy List
MarkfromScotland MarkfromScotland is a male
Someone New

Favorite 77s album: Pray Naked

Smile Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Thanks for the welcome. I am sure I will get up to speed on what is going on once I get into all the links. Scotland is indeed a great place, however it is not so great when your three favourite bands, The Choir, The 77s and The Lost Dogs only seem to play in America. I have only seen The 77s (see picture below) and The Choir once at Greenbelt, which was a few years ago now.

MarkfromScotland has attached this image:
The 77s cut.jpg

07-18-2006 03:55 MarkfromScotland is offline Send an Email to MarkfromScotland Search for Posts by MarkfromScotland Add MarkfromScotland to your Buddy List
Audiori J
unregistered

Cool! Nice Greenbelt picture! Thanks for posting it.
07-18-2006 08:55
jeffrey k. jeffrey k. is a male
Mr. Magoo

images/avatars/avatar-353.jpg

DVD trailer now up.... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

For those of you maybe on the fence about the project, or maybe just want to see a bit before you buy, we now have a trailer for the DVD up on the Lo-Fidelity website....check it out on both the front page and media section of the site. The DVD is available now from both Lo-Fidelity.com and 77's.com. (Lo-Fidelity now has a regular US Mail order form for those wishing to purchase the DVD or other releases offline.)

And speaking of the website, we are pleased to announce it has been fully reworked and was relaunched yesterday evening. We love the new look...thanks to our friend Marc at Bassline-Shift (www.bassline-shift.com) and photos from Dinah Kotthoff (www.dinahphoto.com).

Some new features on the site include a media section with free MP3's from some of the older Lo-Fidelity releases, and one or two from our distribution catalog.

Check out the store as well for a few VERY limited number releases. Currently we have the following in stock:

The Lost Dogs ...Via Chicago... DVD/CD ***Our last 3 copies*** $25

Derri Daugherty - "A Few Unfinished Songs" EP ***Our 7 copies SIGNED BY DERRI*** $10

Terry Scott Taylor - "Songs For The Day After Christmas" EP ***Our last 14 copies SIGNED BY TERRY*** $10

Adam Again - "Ten Songs By Adam Again" CD ***Our last 12 copies*** $15

Be sure to check the site often for updates and news on upcoming releases. Thank you one and all for the continued support of the label and independent music.

jeffrey k.

07-18-2006 10:49 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Rocks in your Head

RE: DVD trailer now up.... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by jeffrey k.

Derri Daugherty - "A Few Unfinished Songs" EP ***Our 7 copies SIGNED BY DERRI*** $10

Terry Scott Taylor - "Songs For The Day After Christmas" EP ***Our last 14 copies SIGNED BY TERRY*** $10

jeffrey k.

dambit jeffrey...........my derri CD isn't signed Big Grin Big Grin

and now i need that terry CD....i don't have it either.

07-18-2006 10:52 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Homepage of larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of larryl: nashvillelarryl YIM Account Name of larryl: larryl922
jeffrey k. jeffrey k. is a male
Mr. Magoo

images/avatars/avatar-353.jpg

RE: DVD trailer now up.... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
quote:

jeffrey k.

Yeah...sorry man...he signed the last ones I had after lunch the other day....I had them in my car in a box from Cornerstone...so I figured, why not? Big Grin

jeffrey k.

07-18-2006 10:56 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
patch77s
Someone New

Favorite 77s album: All of them

quote:
Some new features on the site include a media section with free MP3's from some of the older Lo-Fidelity releases, and one or two from our distribution catalog.

any hints on where to find the MP3's? i looked around a bit but couldn't find any.

the trailer looks great! excellent choice of music. Smile

steve
07-18-2006 14:38 patch77s is offline Send an Email to patch77s Search for Posts by patch77s Add patch77s to your Buddy List
JohnL JohnL is a male
Baby Elvis

images/avatars/avatar-311.jpg

Registration Date: 07-11-2006
Favorite 77s album: Crows

quote:
Originally posted by patch77s
quote:

any hints on where to find the MP3's? i looked around a bit but couldn't find any.

the trailer looks great! excellent choice of music. Smile

steve

they are in the "media" section...
07-18-2006 14:41 JohnL is offline Send an Email to JohnL Search for Posts by JohnL Add JohnL to your Buddy List
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-546.jpg

Registration Date: 09-30-2004
Favorite 77s album: Tom Tom Blues

quote:
quote:

jeffrey k.

I just ordered those two

don't tell the wife

07-18-2006 15:33 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
herringostarr herringostarr is a male
Praying Naked

images/avatars/avatar-420.jpg

Registration Date: 09-03-2005

The Terry Christmas album instantly became one of my favorites. I got two.

There's some great writing and melodies.

There's one tune he sings impersonating Elvis but it has potential to be a GREAT song. Very beautiful.

Mine weren't signed either. Crying

Big Grin

07-19-2006 06:33 herringostarr is offline Send an Email to herringostarr Search for Posts by herringostarr Add herringostarr to your Buddy List
Rod Rod is a male
Baby Elvis

images/avatars/avatar-236.jpg

Registration Date: 08-21-2005
Favorite 77s album: When #s Get Serious

I haven't posted before, but seeing the various incarnations of the band
on the dvd brought back some cool memories. This one sticks in my mind.

In 1983(?), they played with DeGarmo and Key, Joe English and Sheila Walsh in Fresno. When Mike fell down on the stage during It's So Sad, the audience just sat there, kind of stunned. Similar to the response on the dvd. The place was packed, but like 20 people applauded
for them. They seemed to have a totally different vibe than the other
artists.

Any other Central CA. fans?

Rod
07-19-2006 15:37 Rod is offline Send an Email to Rod Search for Posts by Rod Add Rod to your Buddy List
Pages (6): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » CD & DVD Reviews » 77s DVD

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH