77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » New music from Gene Eugene!!!! » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page New music from Gene Eugene!!!! 4 Votes - Average Rating: 5.50
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-546.jpg

Registration Date: 09-30-2004
Favorite 77s album: Tom Tom Blues

Thumb Up! It's here! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

From Gene's dad:

Hi Everybody !

Yahoo ! ! Hooray ! ! Yipee ! ! Whoopee-Doo ! ! Yipee-ky-yo-ky-yea ! ! (an
old Gene-not-so-Hotry saying) Good News! - - Finally !! got the Gene
Eugene Cd's Done ! !

OK - - here's the scoop - - The Cd is called "Remembering Gene Eugene" -- -
it has 3 songs on it - - 2 of them are Leonard Cohen songs, and the 3rd is
by Lucinda Williams.

The CD is $7.50, plus 8 1/2 % Calif. sales tax, plus $1.00 S&H - -
total price $9.25 (rounded).

So if anyone wants one, please send a check or Money order to Chenka-Chenka
Music, at 370 W. 58th St., San Bernardino, Calif. 92407. Please allow 2 - 3
weeks for delivery - -

If you have any questions - - contact me - -

Thanks everybody for your patience ! !

Gene.

10-09-2006 08:47 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-446.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2004

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

has anyone heard these? mike? audioris?

10-09-2006 09:17 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Homepage of larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of larryl: nashvillelarryl YIM Account Name of larryl: larryl922
.evangeline. .evangeline. is a female
Radioactive Hatchling

Registration Date: 06-05-2004

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

anybody?

i listened to Hopeless, etc driving back from Promise Keepers on Saturday. My friend, Bobby, thought Gene sounded like Michael Stipe?

"...the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it by force."
10-09-2006 12:19 .evangeline. is offline Send an Email to .evangeline. Search for Posts by .evangeline. Add .evangeline. to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-446.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by .evangeline.
anybody?

i listened to Hopeless, etc driving back from Promise Keepers on Saturday. My friend, Bobby, thought Gene sounded like Michael Stipe?

i have heard that com parison quite a bit.....and comparison of AA to REMwhich i never got, except for the slight vocal similarities.

10-09-2006 13:46 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Homepage of larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of larryl: nashvillelarryl YIM Account Name of larryl: larryl922
Mezzo

y'know...
I thought this was being shopped secularly...& it would be much ballyhooed

It seems the opposite to me.

Too bad he didn't let The Lost Dogs do something more with it.

Marketing & Production-wise, especially.

Send Pops $9.25 & you get 1 CD with 3 songs on it.

Apparently the other plans didn't work out.

Even though I'm curious & would like to get this CD at some point, I'm disappointed in this result.

I'm interested in jeffery k.'s thoughts on this news.............

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by peawinkel: 10-09-2006 14:21.

10-09-2006 13:55 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
jeffrey k. jeffrey k. is a male
Mr. Magoo

images/avatars/avatar-353.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by peawinkel
I'm interested in jeffery k.'s thoughts on this news.............

Yeah....I dunno what to say really. I haven't heard it so I can't really comment on it. I guess we'll see won't we.......

jeffrey k.

10-09-2006 16:28 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
rob 3.0 rob 3.0 is a male
Radioactive Crow

images/avatars/avatar-180.gif

Registration Date: 05-28-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning With Land in Sight

quote:
Originally posted by larryl
quote:
anybody?

i have heard that com parison quite a bit.....and comparison of AA to REMwhich i never got, except for the slight vocal similarities.

I totally see the comparison, especially the vocal similarities. Everyone I've played AA for always say it sounds like the guy from REM.

I'm excited by the prospect of new gene songs but $3 a song? I'm gonna have to wait til I have more expendable cash laying around for this one.

Was I ever on the inside?
10-09-2006 18:22 rob 3.0 is offline Send an Email to rob 3.0 Homepage of rob 3.0 Search for Posts by rob 3.0 Add rob 3.0 to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of rob 3.0: digitalrob3 YIM Account Name of rob 3.0: flashfan77 View the MSN Profile for rob 3.0
Joey T.
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-188.jpg

Location: "i find your lack of faith disturbing.."- darth vader

Thumb Down! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
anybody?

you sir, will not blaspheme on this here board! Mad

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

facebook
10-09-2006 19:59 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005
snowblind snowblind is a male
Unbalanced

images/avatars/avatar-404.gif

Registration Date: 03-28-2006
Favorite 77s album: Sticks and Stones

I wonder why he wouldn't offer this as a download. At 99¢ per song. That way he could make the money with little sunk costs in CDs, duplication, etc. As much as I like Gene and AA, there are very few artists I would spend $3/song for.

10-09-2006 20:03 snowblind is offline Send an Email to snowblind Homepage of snowblind Search for Posts by snowblind Add snowblind to your Buddy List
Mezzo

quote:
Originally posted by snowblind
I wonder why he wouldn't offer this as a download. At 99¢ per song. That way he could make the money with little sunk costs in CDs, duplication, etc. As much as I like Gene and AA, there are very few artists I would spend $3/song for.

I think we've all been wondering about who has been advising him on this.

Confused

10-09-2006 20:07 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
Kit Kit is a male
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-587.jpg

Registration Date: 06-02-2004

Everybody for whom I've played Adam Again says Gene sounds like Stipe. I think Gene has way more soul than Stipe though.

10-10-2006 09:43 Kit is offline Send an Email to Kit Homepage of Kit Search for Posts by Kit Add Kit to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kit: Nakedprey77
Joey T.
Mezzo

Thumb Down! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

i am sure gene is turning over in his grave....being compared to that silly little girly man....... Frown Mad

facebook

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Joey T.: 10-10-2006 10:31.

10-10-2006 10:22 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005
Mr. Magoo

quote:
Originally posted by Joey T.
i am sure gene is turning over in his grave....being compared to that silly little girly man....... Frown Mad

Speaking of uh....REM: (ripped from the PT)

Tollbooth: The first record has such a special cover. How did you get Mr. Finster to do the cover for that record?

Michele: We were big Talking Heads fans and had a few singles and record covers that Howard Finster had painted for them. We loved them. They were all different styles. Sometimes with just one thing in the picture, they weren't always filled with imagery like some of the more seen album covers... so Gene found out that Howard Finster lived somewhere near Atlanta, Georgia and called information to get his phone number. And they talked like they were old friends, he even put his wife on the phone with Gene... while they were talking Mr. Finster said, [Riki does her impression of a southern drawl here] "I've got the R-E-Ms in my back yard right now shooting some movies... I think I'm gonna put 'em up in the chapel tonight, but there sure is a lot of 'em." We thought that was so rad, he had REM in his back yard.

So then he painted the cover for us and gave us a great deal on it. At first we were a little disappointed that it looked so much like the cover he did for Talking Heads, but not for long; and not too disappointed... we loved the painting, which is huge. About 3 feet by 3 feet...

Tollbooth: Where is the painting now?

Michele: Greg (Lawless) has it right now... we've all traded it around a little bit. So I may get it back at some point for a while...years later we visited Mr. Finster's house and he had our cover hanging in his hall right between the covers he had done for Talking Heads and REM. We thought that was very cool!

Anyway......I dunno Joey....I've heard the Stipe/Eugene comparison for years.....and on the first record a David Byrne/Eugene compairison.....plus I read in a couple places years ago that Gene was a fan of REM and got the comparison himself....but who knows really...

jeffrey k.

10-10-2006 12:20 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Mezzo

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

ok... if i had never seen pictures of michael stipe i probably wouldn't hate him so deeply.... Big Grin

facebook
10-10-2006 13:31 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005
sirjakeyjake sirjakeyjake is a male
Praying Naked

images/avatars/avatar-99.gif

Registration Date: 07-29-2004
Favorite 77s album: S&S

Sorry, I've always thought Gene's voice sounded "familar", but esp. with "Dig", which is how I usually share AA, I and those listening always make the Stipe comparison.

Everybody hurts...worldwide. Wink

"We are the music makers,
and we are the dreamers of dreams."
----------Willy Wonka----------
10-10-2006 15:12 sirjakeyjake is offline Send an Email to sirjakeyjake Search for Posts by sirjakeyjake Add sirjakeyjake to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for sirjakeyjake
Alex Alex is a male
Mr. Magoo

images/avatars/avatar-115.jpg

Registration Date: 05-01-2005
Favorite 77s album: Eighty Eight

quote:
Originally posted by Kit
Everybody for whom I've played Adam Again says Gene sounds like Stipe. I think Gene has way more soul than Stipe though.

That's the way I see and hear it, too. I really do like Stipe's voice and REM's music, especially "Automatic" and "Monster". Gene and AA were similar, but even better. It's no shame being compared to the best and actually win.

Alex

10-10-2006 15:42 Alex is offline Send an Email to Alex Homepage of Alex Search for Posts by Alex Add Alex to your Buddy List
snowblind snowblind is a male
Unbalanced

images/avatars/avatar-404.gif

Registration Date: 03-28-2006
Favorite 77s album: Sticks and Stones

Michael Stipe has a restaurant in Athens GA called The Grit. It's good. All veggie, but it's actually good food. I try not to think of him in drag while eating there.

And, yes, my world does revolve around food.

I too have heard the Stipe comparisons. It's just unfortunate that Adam Again never got more exposure, because they could have rocked REM off the stage, IMO...

10-10-2006 18:58 snowblind is offline Send an Email to snowblind Homepage of snowblind Search for Posts by snowblind Add snowblind to your Buddy List
Mr. Magoo

quote:
Originally posted by larryl
has anyone heard these? mike? audioris?

So I got my CD today...and in terms of the music, hearing new songs with Gene singing them is beautiful and heartbreaking all at the same time... They are complete songs, but not finished, if that makes sense. You could tell he had more in mind for them. In terms of the CD presentation, it's basically a CDR with a sticker label. No art or anything...and it came with a note from his mom and dad sort of explaining their take on releasing the songs.... So there you go...

jeffrey k.

11-04-2006 00:05 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » New music from Gene Eugene!!!!

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH