77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » Upcoming Releases » 77's R.I.P. (1982-2002) ??? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (10): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page 77's R.I.P. (1982-2002) ??? 10 Votes - Average Rating: 10.0010 Votes - Average Rating: 10.0010 Votes - Average Rating: 10.0010 Votes - Average Rating: 10.0010 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

images/avatars/avatar-381.gif

Registration Date: 11-17-2004
Favorite 77s album: The one's Mike plays guitar on

RE: my first EP Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I remember discovering Dad's old 45's and finding "All Shook Up". That was my discovery of EP.

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies
and i don't understand it"

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
03-11-2006 10:57 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

Today's session (was My First EP) Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Get this -- the first time I ever heard "All Shook Up" was on my cousin's 78!!! Simply unbelievable that I'm old enough to have had that experience Mad

Today began with yet another Bill Monroe tune -- "I'm Workin' On A Building". We know it's been done to death but we needed to warm up on something. We did it rockabilly style. Nothin' fancy.

Then we tried Rev. Gary Davis' "Keep Your Lamps Trimmed & Burning" just because we had to do that one! I tried to conjure Hot Tuna's live electric version from my high school days, but it ended up sounding rockabilly again, just like the first two tunes. Must be all that slap echo I keep putting on my guitar....oh well.....

After that, Bruce suggested that I try and write an original right there on the spot. Perversely, he called for Brian Wilson as an influence -- go figger'.....Roll Eyes What we ended up with was a track that sounds like something off The Smiths' first album, which I adore, and it would not have been out of place on Pray Naked or Drowning, kinda like "The Jig Is Up". Not sure what we'll end up doing with this, but it sure sounds neat.

Then we went for Skip James' "Jesus Is A Mighty Good Leader", which I wanted to do all hopped up. Bruce suggested doing it in a gentle ballad style (which I bristled at) but in the end we probably got a lot more out of the song. Never realized it could come off that pretty and tender -- good idea.

For some reason, we decided to go for "I'm Gonna Run To The City Of Refuge", but instead of the 7&7iS "Zep" version, we tried it more like AC/DC meets ZZ Top at the cross . What can I say -- this one kicks ass. I used to play slide real good in the 70's, but let it go -- I'm back on with this one.

Speaking of slide, I suggested Mississippi Fred McDowell's amazing "You're Gonna Be Sorry" which is not part of the 'gospel' theme but I wanted to do it anyway because it's such a trance....such a train. It wasn't coming off at first and I felt foolish, but Bruce finally took my suggestion to keep the feel and tempo of the original, only he and Mark made it into something uniquely their own. I followed suit, although still convinced I'd pulled a turkey out of the hat. When we went into the control room to hear the playback, we were all amazed. Somehow this dark horse learned how to run, and we went from something that could have been really stale and hackneyed to a very special track with groove and vibes to spare.

All in all, a productive day. If tomorrow goes even half as well, we're in good shape!

quote:
Originally posted by 77 bc
I remember discovering Dad's old 45's and finding "All Shook Up". That was my discovery of EP.
03-11-2006 23:36 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
Alex Alex is a male
Mr. Magoo

images/avatars/avatar-115.jpg

Registration Date: 05-01-2005
Favorite 77s album: Eighty Eight

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Thank you for all the inside information.

Alex

03-11-2006 23:57 Alex is offline Send an Email to Alex Homepage of Alex Search for Posts by Alex Add Alex to your Buddy List
j77
unregistered
RE: Today's session (was My First EP) Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Thanks for update Doc. two of my favorite guitar players in that list, Mississippi Fred McDowell and Rev. Gary Davis. Cool Cool
03-12-2006 05:58
MefLiszto MefLiszto is a male
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 06-14-2004

Speaking of Glenn Kaiser... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

This may not be the style you're looking for, but I've always thought songs like "Broken Promises" or "Paint A Picture", off Resurrection Band's first two albums, might be right up your alley.

Darin

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by MefLiszto: 03-12-2006 17:18.

03-12-2006 17:17 MefLiszto is offline Send an Email to MefLiszto Search for Posts by MefLiszto Add MefLiszto to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of MefLiszto: MefLiszto YIM Account Name of MefLiszto: Feykdrulez
Doctor Love

Third Day Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

We took it a little slower today, starting off with a rockin' Stones-y version of Alison Krause's "I'll Remember You, Love, In My Prayers". Hard to imagine this one sounding like "Honky Tonk Women" or "Start Me Up", but it does now!

Next off was a wonderful lost song from the aborted Steve Scott album "Moving Pictures" produced by Larry Norman for Solid Rock Records in 1978 but never released. The song is called "Stranger Won't You Change Your Sinful Ways", and once again The Rolling Stones were the main inspiration for the arrangement (think "You Got The Silver" from Let It Bleed, or perhaps "Sweet Virginia" from Exile On Main Street or even "Far Away Eyes" from Some Girls....you get the idea) Ahh, the Stones had a way with old country blues-styled ballads, and since Steve and Larry went there all those years ago, we chose not to stray too far from the path after having just turned Union Station into the Glimmer Twins an hour earlier. Rising blues/pop star Jackie Greene sat in on piano and organ for this one.

We finished the day off with a Byrds meets Wilco rendition of Lester Flatt & Earl Scruggs' "What Would You Give In Exchange For Your Soul". Fans of the Lost Dogs' "Gates Of Eden" will adore this track -- the two sound almost identical.

So there you have it. Three days. Ten songs. It could have been worse.

We're hoping to throw on a few more primitive things.....perhaps a Five Blind Boys-styled a cappella rant or a jews harp & kazoo field holler here and there. Like Chuck Berry once said, "'C'est la vie' said the old folks, it goes to show you never can tell....."
03-13-2006 01:57 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
Nailtatt Nailtatt is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-212.jpg

Registration Date: 05-28-2004
Favorite 77s album: Sticks and Stones

Thumb Up! RE: Woodpecker Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Love
I am always willing to give Woody to whomever I can whenever and wherever I can, however I can.

So there Cool

quote:
Originally posted by j77
quote:
Originally posted by Nailtatt
quote:
Mike, you guys gave us Woody once before, so I have no doubt you will do it again! Wink

I'm sure if the Doc wanted to comment on this stupid, juvenile post he would have. Roll Eyes

You are the best Doc! Cool
Piss off all the rest of ya!

Thanks for the updates Doc! I am really excited about this album!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Nailtatt: 03-13-2006 05:55.

03-13-2006 05:50 Nailtatt is offline Send an Email to Nailtatt Search for Posts by Nailtatt Add Nailtatt to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Nailtatt
Eleanor
Praying Naked

images/avatars/avatar-581.jpg

RE: Woodpecker Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
I am always willing to give Woody to whomever I can whenever and wherever I can, however I can.

So there Cool

quote:
Originally posted by j77
quote:
quote:
Mike, you guys gave us Woody once before, so I have no doubt you will do it again! Wink

I'm sure if the Doc wanted to comment on this stupid, juvenile post he would have. Roll Eyes

I can agree with that! Pleased

Woody is my favorite from the 7s Tongue

03-13-2006 06:06 Eleanor is offline Send an Email to Eleanor Search for Posts by Eleanor Add Eleanor to your Buddy List
phreaq phreaq is a male
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-215.jpg

Registration Date: 11-09-2005
Favorite 77s album: DWLIS

the finest thread I have read in Years! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Mike thanks so much for the treat of hearing about the 7's in the studio...

I can't wait! The only thing better would be someone cataloguing the whole experience on video...

This already sounds like an instant classic! - The track list is freaking great already - with a few more - this is "outta sight."

Jesus Hits Like an Atom Bomb

"I'll Remember You, Love, In My Prayers" (A. Krause/Union Station)

"Stranger Won't You Change Your Sinful Ways" (S. Scott) w/Jackie Greene on Keys
That the moving pictures disc was never released by Norman is tragic...

"What Would You Give In Exchange for Your Soul" (L. Flatt & E. Scruggs)

"I'm Working On A Building" (B. Monroe)

"Keep Your Lamps Timmed & Burning" (Rev. G. Davis)

Spontaneous B. Wilson Inpired Tune [ala DWLIS JIG!!!] (the mighty 7's)

"Jesus is A Mighty Good Leader" (Skip James)

"Run to the City of Refuge" (Blind Willie Johnson)
ACDC meets ZZ Top - Dr. Love "it kick's ass!" - looking forward to this!!!

"You're Gonna Be Sorry" (Mississippi Fred McDowell)
"a special track - w/ groove and vibe to spare." Doctor Love

"When My Blue Moon Turns to Gold Again" (Bill Monroe)
a bonus track?!

~f

"do you get the blues sometimes?"

say "no" to Eleanor for Moderator

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by phreaq: 03-13-2006 06:40.

03-13-2006 06:37 phreaq is offline Send an Email to phreaq Homepage of phreaq Search for Posts by phreaq Add phreaq to your Buddy List
LuR KiNG
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-86.jpg

Registration Date: 09-17-2004

RE: Third Day Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Cool
03-13-2006 10:03 LuR KiNG is offline Send an Email to LuR KiNG Search for Posts by LuR KiNG Add LuR KiNG to your Buddy List
God-rules God-rules is a male
Happy Roy

Registration Date: 06-03-2004

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

This sounds way cool.

Hey Doc, how about a limited, signed and numbered pre order?

Michaelalwayslookingfortheoneofakind

I'm gonna put my carbon footprint right up a greenies lactose intolerant hind end! - squidzit 2008
03-13-2006 10:05 God-rules is offline Send an Email to God-rules Search for Posts by God-rules Add God-rules to your Buddy List
LuR KiNG
Flower in the Sand

RE: Third Day Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
So there you have it. Three days. Ten songs.
It could have been worse.

We're hoping to throw on a few more primitive things.....perhaps a Five Blind Boys-styled a cappella rant or a jews harp & kazoo field holler here and there. Like Chuck Berry once said, "'C'est la vie' said the old folks, it goes to show you never can tell....."

sounds like a FuN TiMe Smile
03-13-2006 11:02 LuR KiNG is offline Send an Email to LuR KiNG Search for Posts by LuR KiNG Add LuR KiNG to your Buddy List
Doctor Love

Jesus Hits Like An Atom Bomb? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I love this as an album title, but it's been done at least twice before by other artists, including grunge-rock legends Tripping Daisy.

Should we go ahead and use it anyway? It's pretty cool, plus I want to record the actual song a capella black vocal quartet style if we have time.

An alternate might be something more trite like Blue Moon, or perhaps Blue Moon Turns To Gold. I like both of those as well because have double meanings. Of course, then we'd need to cut "Blue Moon" too. (Elvis' downright scary version of this song gives me goosebumps -- anyone out there familiar with it?)

I know it's probably uncool to toss around possible album titles with your fans, but only the few...the proud.....the faithful... are here in the first place. This music is for you first, as far as I'm concerned, so who better to ask? At this point, I've already spoiled the mystery by being so open about it all from the git-go, but this project is really about having fun more than anything else. If you're not having fun, what's the point? This was never meant to be 'the next biggest thing since Colossus', which we no longer have any interest in doing. Radioactive Crows was an example of that and look where it got us.

Any other coy and clever album title ideas are welcome at this point. We may not use 'em, but it's fun to think 'em up. Most album titles are so stupid anyway.
03-13-2006 12:44 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
Rocks in your Head

RE: Jesus Hits Like An Atom Bomb? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
I love this as an album title, but it's been done at least twice before by other artists, including grunge-rock legends Tripping Daisy.

Should we go ahead and use it anyway? It's pretty cool, plus I want to record the actual song a capella black vocal quartet style if we have time.

An alternate might be something more trite like Blue Moon, or perhaps Blue Moon Turns To Gold. I like both of those as well because have double meanings. Of course, then we'd need to cut "Blue Moon" too. (Elvis' downright scary version of this song gives me goosebumps -- anyone out there familiar with it?)

I know it's probably uncool to toss around possible album titles with your fans, but only the few...the proud.....the faithful... are here in the first place. This music is for you first, as far as I'm concerned, so who better to ask? At this point, I've already spoiled the mystery by being so open about it all from the git-go, but this project is really about having fun more than anything else. If you're not having fun, what's the point? This was never meant to be 'the next biggest thing since Colossus', which we no longer have any interest in doing. Radioactive Crows was an example of that and look where it got us.

Any other coy and clever album title ideas are welcome at this point. We may not use 'em, but it's fun to think 'em up. Most album titles are so stupid anyway.

How about "Jesus and an Atom Bomb", that way it is different but similiar!?
I know that I am grateful that you are not "above" us all and that you even join in on the stupid shit that goes on around here on occasion! Big ups to you Mike for that!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Nailtatt: 03-13-2006 12:50.

03-13-2006 12:47 Nailtatt is offline Send an Email to Nailtatt Search for Posts by Nailtatt Add Nailtatt to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Nailtatt
LuR KiNG
Flower in the Sand

'the next biggest thing since Colossus'

I like that Big Grin

a visual sequel to Pray Naked Shocked
03-13-2006 13:04 LuR KiNG is offline Send an Email to LuR KiNG Search for Posts by LuR KiNG Add LuR KiNG to your Buddy List
phreaq phreaq is a male
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-215.jpg

Registration Date: 11-09-2005
Favorite 77s album: DWLIS

i like the original idea... as much as I dig collossus...

jesus hits like an atom bomb...

then again...

mike drops the f-bomb...

nah.

Tongue

~f

"do you get the blues sometimes?"

say "no" to Eleanor for Moderator

03-13-2006 13:06 phreaq is offline Send an Email to phreaq Homepage of phreaq Search for Posts by phreaq Add phreaq to your Buddy List
LuR KiNG
Flower in the Sand

quote:
Originally posted by phreaq

then again...

mike drops the f-bomb...

nah.

Tongue

~f

whatever the title put one of these on

CD's with the RIAA logo on them seem to sell alot Better Frown
03-13-2006 13:36 LuR KiNG is offline Send an Email to LuR KiNG Search for Posts by LuR KiNG Add LuR KiNG to your Buddy List
Rocks in your Head

quote:
Originally posted by LuR KiNG
quote:
Originally posted by phreaq

then again...

mike drops the f-bomb...

nah.

Tongue

~f

whatever the title put one of these on

CD's with the RIAA logo on them seem to sell alot Better Frown

Great idea!!!! Tongue

How about :

Jesus and an A-bomb, Mike and an F-bomb

03-13-2006 13:40 Nailtatt is offline Send an Email to Nailtatt Search for Posts by Nailtatt Add Nailtatt to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Nailtatt
Cheyenne Cheyenne is a female
Drowning with Land in Sight

images/avatars/avatar-513.jpg

Registration Date: 02-28-2005
Favorite 77s album: Sticks & Stones

quote:

How about :

Jesus and an A-bomb, Mike and an F-bomb

Big Grin There's a good one.
03-13-2006 13:52 Cheyenne is offline Send an Email to Cheyenne Search for Posts by Cheyenne Add Cheyenne to your Buddy List
Pfiagra Pfiagra is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-125.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2004

RE: Jesus Hits Like An Atom Bomb? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:

My suggestion: "Nobody Leaves Without Singing the Blues"
03-13-2006 13:54 Pfiagra is offline Send an Email to Pfiagra Search for Posts by Pfiagra Add Pfiagra to your Buddy List
Pages (10): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » Upcoming Releases » 77's R.I.P. (1982-2002) ???

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH