77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » NEW Myspace pages!! » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page NEW Myspace pages!! 4 Votes - Average Rating: 5.50
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Joey T.
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-188.jpg

Registration Date: 05-28-2004
Location: "i find your lack of faith disturbing.."- darth vader

Tongue! RE: Not to sound like a Luddite, but... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by larryl
quote:
Originally posted by Dreamlands
quote:
We must have courage, my friend.

Indeed! Perhaps my lack of courage comes from working alongside people who knew how to do some pretty nefarious stuff, such as track internet connections to actual people and crack databases to get personal info.

But it's even more personal for me, as my sister was harmed by a sexual predator. For those who have or are inclined to respond derisively to my post, I guess I can understand if it hasn't hit close to you. We were made for a more innocent place.

hope i didn't come across as derisive. i don't have anything on there personal enough to worry about. then again....i don't guess 30-something men are high on the list for predators.

well, i do use my email address there that gets a ton of spam.. the same one i give to live bmg music club.... Tongue
i have this one gal who is suppossedly a model in california and emailed me and wanted to be me friend....
so i added her.. Big Grin
we've even been chatting on yahoo mssgr...
and now she tells me that she is doing a model shoot in africa and got stranded there...
needs money for a one way ticket home.....
i suddenly had to go....... Tongue Pleased Cool

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

facebook
02-20-2006 07:02 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005
j77
unregistered
RE: Not to sound like a Luddite, but... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Joey T.
quote:
quote:
quote:

Indeed! Perhaps my lack of courage comes from working alongside people who knew how to do some pretty nefarious stuff, such as track internet connections to actual people and crack databases to get personal info.

But it's even more personal for me, as my sister was harmed by a sexual predator. For those who have or are inclined to respond derisively to my post, I guess I can understand if it hasn't hit close to you. We were made for a more innocent place.

hope i didn't come across as derisive. i don't have anything on there personal enough to worry about. then again....i don't guess 30-something men are high on the list for predators.

well, i do use my email address there that gets a ton of spam.. the same one i give to live bmg music club.... Tongue
i have this one gal who is suppossedly a model in california and emailed me and wanted to be me friend....
and now she tells me that she is doing a model shoot in africa and got stranded there...

It's probably really a 65 year old dude, living in New Jersey or somewhere.
02-20-2006 07:03
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Registration Date: 06-01-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning with Land in Sight

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
While I agree it's less secure than ordering online (which in the case of this site is very secure, by the way... zero cases of credit card fraud in six years - except for a couple of cases of someone trying to use stolen numbers that were caught in advance).. People on Myspace only get the information you give them.

If you guys say that enough times, I may eventually evolve the courage to order online. Red Face Doctor commands us to have courage. Red Face

02-20-2006 07:23 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

RE: Not to sound like a Luddite, but... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
I'm a bit surprised that you guys would sign on with MySpace. Mike strikes me as being a private person, and MySpace is the antithesis of personal privacy.

For those who don't remember me, I'm a mid-lifer who has returned to a major state college to finish a bachelor's degree. I can tell you stories of my 20-something classmates who use MySpace and FaceBook who've had to deal with unwanted communications from posers looking for a hook-up to getting horriffic and totally nasty pictures being sent to them, or linked to them. Many of my classmates have also either grown bored or leery of these sites and don't use them anymore.

There are way too many stories of people who were sexually solicited, kidnapped, or murdered as a result of communications that started on MySpace. For this reason, I refuse to use them, and also see no reason to post a blog or an on-line journal.

As a former database administrator for a large dot-com, I can tell you that we need to be concerned about our personal info being shared around the globe. Many of these sites are being hosted in politically unstable countries and/or being administered by people who have less than a friendly attitude toward the people of the U.S.

Many of you have expressed reservations about ordering stuff online, including music and gear from our beloved Sevens. This is not paranoia, and the same logic applies communicating with a forum like MySpace. It is a heck of a lot less secure than ordering online.

I concede that being in MySpace is a way of reaching more people, connecting them with great music and the message of Christ. I don't want to be a killjoy, but warn anyone signing up with this site to be careful.

You are not forgotten, and I'm glad that you stopped in. I'm also having a somewhat unplanned career reroute, and I've run into I don't know how many exhortations to be patient in the last few days (that's generally what happens when God is trying to get my attention!), so I will pass said exhortation on to you. Experience is a valuable thing, particularly when coupled with diversification and innovation. Be blessed, hang in there, and please stop in more frequently. Smile )

02-20-2006 07:26 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
While I agree it's less secure than ordering online (which in the case of this site is very secure, by the way... zero cases of credit card fraud in six years - except for a couple of cases of someone trying to use stolen numbers that were caught in advance).

Now, hang on a second--people were trying to order Christian-influenced albums with stolen credit cards? Are those incidences illustrations of "do unto others....and then split", or what? Tongue

02-20-2006 08:21 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
Audiori J
unregistered

No the fraud that was caught was some guy in nigeria ordering t-shirts one year, using some stolen credit card number. The way our system works though is it goes through a security company and the credit card companies themselves. They already have your information, they can catch things before it even gets to us. For the order to work, the billing address for the card has to be put in. If people try using a card and try having it shipped somewhere else it gets flagged. Its actually pretty secure system, pretty complicated to set up. The store actually is run through them, not our server. That also limits how we can design it to some degree, but the information is stored there not here.
02-20-2006 08:50
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Well, I am always open to suggestions, so I did try to pull up my MySpace account and....SERVER TOO BUSY. Think of the dramas unfolding Smile ) Frown Tongue Big Grin

02-20-2006 09:15 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
lam77s

Registration Date: 05-29-2004

Thread Starter Thread Started by lam77s

quote:
Originally posted by Marti
Well, I am always open to suggestions, so I did try to pull up my MySpace account and....SERVER TOO BUSY. Think of the dramas unfolding Smile ) Frown Tongue Big Grin

It's probably too busy due to all the action on the new 77s, Mike Roe and Lost Dogs myspace pages!! The response has been overwhelming. Shocked Cool Big Grin

Linda
02-20-2006 13:10 lam77s is offline Send an Email to lam77s Search for Posts by lam77s Add lam77s to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Mezzo

Frown RE: Not to sound like a Luddite, but... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by j77
quote:
Originally posted by Joey T.
quote:
quote:
quote:

It's probably really a 65 year old dude, living in New Jersey or somewhere.

you are probably right.... Mad

facebook
02-20-2006 13:13 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005
larryl larryl is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-446.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by lam77s
quote:

It's probably too busy due to all the action on the new 77s, Mike Roe and Lost Dogs myspace pages!! The response has been overwhelming. Shocked Cool Big Grin

Linda

lost dogs? where?

02-20-2006 13:51 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Homepage of larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of larryl: nashvillelarryl YIM Account Name of larryl: larryl922
larryl larryl is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-446.jpg

never mind, found it.

02-20-2006 14:04 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Homepage of larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of larryl: nashvillelarryl YIM Account Name of larryl: larryl922
Nailtatt Nailtatt is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-212.jpg

Favorite 77s album: Sticks and Stones

MYSpace sucks.

02-20-2006 15:01 Nailtatt is offline Send an Email to Nailtatt Search for Posts by Nailtatt Add Nailtatt to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Nailtatt
Joey T.
Mezzo

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/internet/02...e.ap/index.html

facebook
02-20-2006 15:42 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

quote:
Originally posted by lam77s
quote:

Linda

I thought of something the other day at work:

www.michaelroe.com/wbb2/editpost.php?postid=965

I will be praying today that this music connects with everyone that needs to hear it--I can't fathom this "30 people showed up" stuff.

Thanks, Lord, on behalf of everyone that has been praying. It's good to be heard.

This post has been edited 6 time(s), it was last edited by Marti: 02-25-2006 09:44.

02-25-2006 08:45 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
Cynthia
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-483.jpg

Registration Date: 07-20-2005

I couldn't get this link to work.

02-25-2006 09:37 Cynthia is offline Search for Posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your Buddy List
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

quote:
Originally posted by Cynthia
I couldn't get this link to work.

It's the top of page 2 of "More Mike Prayers" for the interim while I dink with it. I just thought the prayer team needed to acknowledge. Smile

02-25-2006 09:38 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

The monkey wrench is back in the tool kit. It now works. Big Grin

02-25-2006 09:45 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
Cynthia
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-483.jpg

Registration Date: 07-20-2005

It's a good reminder Marti. Thanks. Smile

02-25-2006 09:46 Cynthia is offline Search for Posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your Buddy List
sirjakeyjake sirjakeyjake is a male
Praying Naked

images/avatars/avatar-99.gif

Registration Date: 07-29-2004
Favorite 77s album: S&S

I think the bad MySpace press is interesting, and maybe a bit misguided. I know of a few people who swore they would never get an IM program (i.e. ICQ at the time, AIM, MSN Messenger, etc.) or visit a chat room because of all the press it got years ago/still gets regarding unsolicited types of messages and how it led (or seemed to lead) to kidnappings and worse.

The press was about the use of the programs or chat rooms, not the idea of parental/guardian guidance about how and where to go.

Guess what? Those people

I think this is the same thing with MySpace...it's the new popular Internet story with links to bad stuff. Does MySpace allow pretty much anything under the sun? It sure seems that way. Does it have good stuff on there? Sure does (esp. now that the 77s and Lost Dogs are on there). Wink

Personally, I'm no big fan of MySpace, even though I have an account there and a couple other folks I know use it more as a hyper-blog than anything. Still, it's just like anything else on the Internet. I wouldn't blindly trust it until it's stood the test of time (ref. PayPal for many), but I wouldn't necessarilly discard it, either.

My $.02...

"We are the music makers,
and we are the dreamers of dreams."
----------Willy Wonka----------
02-25-2006 09:52 sirjakeyjake is offline Send an Email to sirjakeyjake Search for Posts by sirjakeyjake Add sirjakeyjake to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for sirjakeyjake
jeffrey k. jeffrey k. is a male
Mr. Magoo

images/avatars/avatar-353.jpg

quote:
quote:
While I agree it's less secure than ordering online (which in the case of this site is very secure, by the way... zero cases of credit card fraud in six years - except for a couple of cases of someone trying to use stolen numbers that were caught in advance).. People on Myspace only get the information you give them.

If you guys say that enough times, I may eventually evolve the courage to order online. Red Face Doctor commands us to have courage. Red Face

Marti...

I can echo the same with the Lo-Fidelity store. Not one case of fraud in almost 4 years....

As for Myspace....I honestly think it's how you use it. I've had an account since late 2004 and have yet to have anything bad happen....other than getting weird communication offline from Christians who were scolding me for joining a "swingers site".... Roll Eyes It is what it is....and once I posted the songs from Mutt and the At The Close Of Every Day record I put out...people started buying. People that found the music through Myspace. So the site works...but again it's how you use it. You have to be wise...

Here is mine: http://www.myspace.com/lofidelityrecords

jeffrey k.

03-02-2006 23:31 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » NEW Myspace pages!!

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH