77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » Concert Reviews & Photos » Roe vs. Pritzl - Marietta, GA » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Roe vs. Pritzl - Marietta, GA
Posts in this Thread Author Date
 Roe vs. Pritzl - Marietta, GA peawinkel 01-23-2006 10:35
 RE: Roe vs. Pritzl - Marietta, GA lam77s 01-23-2006 12:38
 RE: Roe vs. Pritzl - Marietta, GA peawinkel 01-23-2006 13:20
 RE: Roe vs. Pritzl - Marietta, GA lam77s 01-23-2006 14:41
 RE: Roe vs. Pritzl - Marietta, GA Cheyenne 01-24-2006 21:22
 RE: Roe vs. Pritzl - Marietta, GA 77 bc 01-24-2006 22:04
 RE: Roe vs. Pritzl - Marietta, GA peawinkel 01-25-2006 07:59
 RE: Roe vs. Pritzl - Marietta, GA Cheyenne 01-26-2006 10:57
 very well DoNe :-) LuR KiNG 01-23-2006 10:42
 RE: very well DoNe :-) j77 01-23-2006 10:45
 RE: Roe vs. Pritzl - Marietta, GA phreaq 01-23-2006 12:59
 RE: Roe vs. Pritzl - Marietta, GA Audiori J 01-24-2006 10:22
 RE: Roe vs. Pritzl - Marietta, GA peawinkel 01-24-2006 10:26
 RE: Roe vs. Pritzl - Marietta, GA bubbaepp 01-24-2006 11:58
 RE: Roe vs. Pritzl - Marietta, GA Cynthia 01-25-2006 09:15
 RE: Roe vs. Pritzl - Marietta, GA Marti 01-25-2006 09:18
 RE: Roe vs. Pritzl - Marietta, GA Cynthia 01-25-2006 09:47
 RE: Roe vs. Pritzl - Marietta, GA Marti 01-28-2006 11:52
 RE: Roe vs. Pritzl - Marietta, GA Cynthia 01-28-2006 21:28

Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-546.jpg

Registration Date: 09-30-2004
Favorite 77s album: Tom Tom Blues

Roe vs. Pritzl - Marietta, GA Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

An encounter with Mike Roe
Current mood: content

The Roe vs. Pritzl Winter Tour rolled into Marietta, Ga on the evening of January 20, 2006. The venue was the strip mall-turned-hip church known as Vineyard Community Church. I've been a big fan of Mike Roe's going back to 1983's Ping Pong Over The Abyss by The 77's, but I had only seen him once in the early 90's when The 77's played Inner Seeds @ Atlanta. They were the last band to perform (save the best for last) and only got to play 20-25 minutes due to some stupid local curfew ordinance. Fast forward 15 years and I get another opportunity.

The show was excellent. Michael Pritl was first up and he performed several songs. I'm not at all familiar with Pritzl's or Violet Burning's music but was very entertained by his sincere presence and heart-felt delivery. Mike Roe stepped up next and performed songs from his most recent solo release, 2002's Say Your Prayers. He introduced The Itch Is Back by feeding us a bogus story of a recurring rash. He couldn't sell it and admitted he made it up. We knew better. We're fans. We know he has a way with words and loves lyrics and titles that denote dual if not multiple meanings. The instrumental highlight was his prelude to Lutheran Hymn. I'm amazed how one guitar can sound like three. The quote of the night came during his Sunshine Down intro. He mentioned how The Lost Dogs had stolen it and, Derri, being the "girl of the band", sang it in his "girly voice", but that he would perform it with his "manly voice". He also played The Boat Ashore to go along with 5 songs from Say Your Prayers. After Mike's solo set, Pritzl joined him on-stage and they collaborated on a few. They did three 77's songs: The Rain Kept Falling In Love, I Can't Get Over It, & The Lust, The Flesh, The Eyes, And The Pride Of Life.

I realized how special this evening was for Doctor Love when he introduced I Can't Get Over It. He recounted a story of how a young guy hung out with the band in the early days and they used him as a roadie. He wanted to be a songwriter so Mike encouraged him to try to do it, and he would help him with it. He got all excited and came back with the chords that Mike would develop into this song. The irony was that this was the first time Mike ever introduced a song where the co-writer was in the audience. Dave Leonhardt from nearby Douglasville was in attendance. Another tweak: Eve Of Destruction has been replaced as the lead-in to The Lust. Let's call the new prelude.....the Ambien theme. It was an extraordinary evening of great music from two wearied performers. In collegiate sports vernacular, this is the SEC East leg of the tour. They had played consecutive nights that week from Kentucky to Tennessee to Georgia, with a 6 hour road trip to Gainesville, FL on the horizon.

Afterwards, I introduced myself to Michael Roe in the Gentleman's restroom. I said "It's funny that I meet you after Peawinkling in the urinal." He replied, "So...you're peawinkel. You're a troublemaker." I noticed in the mirror of the restroom that I had this Mark David Chapman glow about me. I reapproached Mike near the merch, gave him a picture of my son to give to his daughter, and asked him about the new 77's DVD. He was excited to talk about it. It will include all seven Roe/77's videos ever made and assorted live clips from various sources and eras. The criteria from Roe is entertainment. He wants us to wish to watch it repeatedly. It will be available in time for Cornerstone. He gave me grief over how lame my fradulent Doc Love user name was on the Blueboard. I picked up Say Your Prayers ( I had everything else on the table with the exception of Orbis) and a Roe vs. Pritzl tee shirt for my wife. It works perfectly for her to always have a reminder of her graciousness and permissiveness for me to see constantly. I do thank her for allowing me to shirk my family obligations on this evening of musical bliss. Chatting with Mike was like hanging with a bud. Roe's buds. It's all starting to make sense now. My Chapman glow faded and I wished I could have hung out later but I needed to head back westward. I told Mr. Roe I would see him in the cyberworld and I hit the road for Alabama. After I crossed the state line, I drove in rain for the remainder of the trek. And you know the song that refrained through my mind..........rain on (falling down on me).

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by peawinkel: 01-23-2006 10:39.

01-23-2006 10:35 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
lam77s

Registration Date: 05-29-2004

RE: Roe vs. Pritzl - Marietta, GA Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by peawinkel
He introduced The Itch Is Back by feeding us a bogus story of a recurring rash. He couldn't sell it and admitted he made it up.

The true story is that he did have a chronic itchy rash that went away after he wrote the song, never to return as far as I know. Is that the one he told?

Thanks for the review!

Linda
01-23-2006 12:38 lam77s is offline Send an Email to lam77s Search for Posts by lam77s Add lam77s to your Buddy List
Mezzo

Thread Starter Thread Started by peawinkel
RE: Roe vs. Pritzl - Marietta, GA Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by lam77s
quote:
He introduced The Itch Is Back by feeding us a bogus story of a recurring rash. He couldn't sell it and admitted he made it up.

The true story is that he did have a chronic itchy rash that went away after he wrote the song, never to return as far as I know. Is that the one he told?

Thanks for the review!

Linda

Yeah, he mentioned the rash part was true but not that it inspired the song, as he was attempting to embellish.

01-23-2006 13:20 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
lam77s

Registration Date: 05-29-2004

quote:
quote:
quote:

Thanks for the review!

Linda

Yeah, he mentioned the rash part was true but not that it inspired the song, as he was attempting to embellish.

I can just imagine. Wink Big Grin

Linda
01-23-2006 14:41 lam77s is offline Send an Email to lam77s Search for Posts by lam77s Add lam77s to your Buddy List
Cheyenne Cheyenne is a female
Drowning with Land in Sight

images/avatars/avatar-513.jpg

Registration Date: 02-28-2005
Favorite 77s album: Sticks & Stones

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Thanks for the review!

Linda

I can just imagine. Wink Big Grin

Linda

LOL, I'm sorry, I'm just finding it funny that you guys are discussing Mike's skin condition.... Good grief, thanks for the chuckle.
01-24-2006 21:22 Cheyenne is offline Send an Email to Cheyenne Search for Posts by Cheyenne Add Cheyenne to your Buddy List
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

images/avatars/avatar-381.gif

Registration Date: 11-17-2004
Favorite 77s album: The one's Mike plays guitar on

another discussion about a blow dryer and mike's buttocks

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies
and i don't understand it"

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
01-24-2006 22:04 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
Mezzo

quote:
Originally posted by 77 bc

Don't read anything into the fact that my 1st meeting with him was in the restroom. He was washing his face. I can report no sightings of any sort of hair appliance, and his pants were up.

01-25-2006 07:59 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
Cheyenne Cheyenne is a female

images/avatars/avatar-513.jpg

Registration Date: 02-28-2005
Favorite 77s album: Sticks & Stones

quote:
Originally posted by 77 bc

Heheh.....
01-26-2006 10:57 Cheyenne is offline Send an Email to Cheyenne Search for Posts by Cheyenne Add Cheyenne to your Buddy List
LuR KiNG
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-86.jpg

Registration Date: 09-17-2004

Thumb Up! very well DoNe :-) Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Cool
01-23-2006 10:42 LuR KiNG is offline Send an Email to LuR KiNG Search for Posts by LuR KiNG Add LuR KiNG to your Buddy List
j77
unregistered
RE: very well DoNe :-) Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Nice review pea, thanks
01-23-2006 10:45
phreaq phreaq is a male
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-215.jpg

Registration Date: 11-09-2005
Favorite 77s album: DWLIS

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

thanks for bringing that up linda...

I thought Mike did have a problem with dry skin and itchiness...

anyway...

great story's pea...

~f

"do you get the blues sometimes?"

say "no" to Eleanor for Moderator

01-23-2006 12:59 phreaq is offline Send an Email to phreaq Homepage of phreaq Search for Posts by phreaq Add phreaq to your Buddy List
Audiori J
unregistered
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yes, I can remember before ever meeting any of the guys in this band or the other related bands having a 'distance' that really fades away after a couple minutes chatting with them. The feeling of talking to a uncle or cousin at a family reunion kind of takes over. At least thats the best way I can describe it. I think there is quite a mutual appreciation between them and the fans, its not just one sided.
01-24-2006 10:22
Mezzo

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J
Yes, I can remember before ever meeting any of the guys in this band or the other related bands having a 'distance' that really fades away after a couple minutes chatting with them. The feeling of talking to a uncle or cousin at a family reunion kind of takes over. At least thats the best way I can describe it. I think there is quite a mutual appreciation between them and the fans, its not just one sided.

Well said......that's kinda the way it was for me Cool

01-24-2006 10:26 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
bubbaepp bubbaepp is a male

images/avatars/avatar-204.gif

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

Sounds like it was a great night!

01-24-2006 11:58 bubbaepp is offline Send an Email to bubbaepp Search for Posts by bubbaepp Add bubbaepp to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of bubbaepp: bubbaepp YIM Account Name of bubbaepp: bubbaeppbubba
Cynthia
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-483.jpg

Registration Date: 07-20-2005

Yeah, Peawinkle was the one with the hair dryer. Tongue

01-25-2006 09:15 Cynthia is offline Search for Posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your Buddy List
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Registration Date: 06-01-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning with Land in Sight

quote:
Originally posted by Cynthia
Yeah, Peawinkle was the one with the hair dryer. Tongue

It's not nice to give somebody a case of hot rivets in a public restroom, is it? Confused

01-25-2006 09:18 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
Cynthia
Mezzo

I meant Peawinkle was the one drying his own... umm... nevermind.... Roll Eyes Smile

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Cynthia: 01-25-2006 10:32.

01-25-2006 09:47 Cynthia is offline Search for Posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your Buddy List
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Registration Date: 06-01-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning with Land in Sight

quote:
I meant Peawinkle was the one drying his own... umm... nevermind.... Roll Eyes Smile

Big Grin I need stood in the corner, Mom.

01-28-2006 11:52 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
Cynthia
Mezzo

quote:
Originally posted by Marti
quote:

Big Grin I need stood in the corner, Mom.

Silly Big Grin

01-28-2006 21:28 Cynthia is offline Search for Posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » Concert Reviews & Photos » Roe vs. Pritzl - Marietta, GA

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH