77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » Rock And Roll » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (4): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Rock And Roll 2 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
shandaman
Someone New

Registration Date: 12-26-2005

Thread Starter Thread Started by shandaman
um Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

pasted in next reply

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by shandaman: 12-27-2005 08:20.

12-27-2005 08:19 shandaman is offline Send an Email to shandaman Search for Posts by shandaman Add shandaman to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-446.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2004

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

shan.....let me expand on my earlier statement, and sevens'.....

i don't need to be spoonfed christian platitudes and rewarmed scripture paraphrases in my music. i would rather hear honest lyrics...written from the heart. that means it won't always be "christian" as some see it....but it will almost always come out with a christian point of view, if the writer is a christian. when you are in the lowest depths of depression, pouring your guts out to your closest friend, do you mention God in every phrase? i know i don't....and if i do, sometimes it is anger at Him for letting me be where i am......

to me, that's how mike, and many others write songs...and those songs have helped me through some tough times.

12-27-2005 08:19 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Homepage of larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of larryl: nashvillelarryl YIM Account Name of larryl: larryl922
shandaman
Someone New

um Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

um please explain what you mean? The bible says to love god with all your heart not 99% but 100% and i strive to do so. I dont know if you all have ever heard steven curtist chapmen but he has this song and in it it talks about all of the gear shirts, bands, shirts that you wear for people to see and although i do that thats not the real christian. a real christian does what god tells him and does it when he is supposed to, im glad that i serve a forgiving god coz otherwise id be in serious trouble but my god is my rock of salvation and he always listens and is always there to lean on. Also god says to keep your mind pure and to do so you have to filter what goes in because its not ever going to come back out, so if you listen to rock and roll or rap and all they talk about is the bad stuff that has happened to them your going to start turning into that, now i dont know about you but i want god to mold me not some band, so i listen only to the stuff that is filtered the best i can.
12-27-2005 08:20 shandaman is offline Send an Email to shandaman Search for Posts by shandaman Add shandaman to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Rocks in your Head

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

by the way....welcome to the board; let your guard down a little, hang out, have some fun. Big Grin

12-27-2005 08:20 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Homepage of larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of larryl: nashvillelarryl YIM Account Name of larryl: larryl922
sevens
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-130.jpg

Registration Date: 01-18-2005

RE: um Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by shandaman
Originally posted by shandaman[/i]
um please explain what you mean? The bible says to love god with all your heart not 99% but 100% and i strive to do so. I dont know if you all have ever heard steven curtist chapmen but he has this song and in it it talks about all of the gear shirts, bands, shirts that you wear for people to see and although i do that thats not the real christian. a real christian does what god tells him and does it when he is supposed to, im glad that i serve a forgiving god coz otherwise id be in serious trouble but my god is my rock of salvation and he always listens and is always there to lean on. Also god says to keep your mind pure and to do so you have to filter what goes in because its not ever going to come back out, so if you listen to rock and roll or rap and all they talk about is the bad stuff that has happened to them your going to start turning into that, now i dont know about you but i want god to mold me not some band, so i listen only to the stuff that is filtered the best i can.

So let me ask you this.........what are non-christians supposed to listen to for a sampling of Jesus's love? Steven Curtis doesn't write songs for sinners, he writes songs for believers.

Jesus said go out to the world and spread the word, through the 77's I have been able to get people to listen to the gospel because they're not constantly in the listeners face about God.

most people aren't saved in churches, they're saved by Christans brave enough to get out in the world away from the safety net of the church. It's a risk to go out in the world cause you may get pulled in, but with God's help and you're open heart He will use you for His purpose.

And once again you say love God 100%, how can you say the 7's don't?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by sevens: 12-27-2005 08:26.

12-27-2005 08:25 sevens is offline Send an Email to sevens Homepage of sevens Search for Posts by sevens Add sevens to your Buddy List
j77
unregistered
Thumb Down! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'm done here, this thread sucks.
12-27-2005 08:26
shandaman
Someone New

again Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

again im not judging them and i agree giveing this alblum to people really gets them to listen and maybe somewhere get into god. but as a believer we need to find things that lift us up as much as posible. me and my family enjoy joel olsteen for this.
12-27-2005 08:29 shandaman is offline Send an Email to shandaman Search for Posts by shandaman Add shandaman to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Rocks in your Head

RE: again Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
again im not judging them and i agree giveing this alblum to people really gets them to listen and maybe somewhere get into god. but as a believer we need to find things that lift us up as much as posible. me and my family enjoy joel olsteen for this.

wow. this explains a lot. i personally have some pretty serious issues with olsteen and the message he preaches.

12-27-2005 08:31 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Homepage of larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of larryl: nashvillelarryl YIM Account Name of larryl: larryl922
shandaman
Someone New

im out Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

im out i dont think they have any other good rock alblums so ill check back in a year or so thansk all for your help but i cant spend anymore time on this board as i have lots of stuff to do sorry ttyall l8r.
12-27-2005 08:31 shandaman is offline Send an Email to shandaman Search for Posts by shandaman Add shandaman to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Rocks in your Head

i am also curious as to how someone who loves "rock all the time" is hearing steven curtis chapman songs.....

also wondering if BD is having a little fun here....

12-27-2005 08:33 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Homepage of larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of larryl: nashvillelarryl YIM Account Name of larryl: larryl922
sevens
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-130.jpg

Registration Date: 01-18-2005

RE: again Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:

I agree as believers we need to ingest good things but God gives everyone thier OWN discernment and you need to understand that. Because you have discerned that something is not good for you to ingest doesn't mean it's not ok for someone else.

But remember not to cocoon yourself with religion or you will lose why God has put us here.

Matthew
Salt and Light
13"You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men.

We can't be salt and light of the earth if we stay in our country club churches, it just doesn't work and telling people that Christianity is going to solve all thier problems is a downright lie. We suffer, Christians and non, differnece is we know our suffering is temporary, it's acceptable because we know the prize that waits us.

Are you undertanding what I'm saying?

12-27-2005 08:35 sevens is offline Send an Email to sevens Homepage of sevens Search for Posts by sevens Add sevens to your Buddy List
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-546.jpg

Registration Date: 09-30-2004
Favorite 77s album: Tom Tom Blues

I think Sir Shamander or whatever, is a hoax. Probably instigated by my "remember when you used to rock" comment to Dr. in the Chanticleer thread.

12-27-2005 08:59 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
Cynthia
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-483.jpg

Registration Date: 07-20-2005

Whether it was a gag or whatever, Sevens - you painted a great picture of what "Christian" music can be and how the 77's lyrics can reach all, godly or not. Especially, being able to meet a non saved person where they are in their search. To make Christianity not seem like a "holier than thou" kind of thing, but the reality of an occasionally tough life and who we are going to run to and the honesty of the emotions involved. In my personal, humble opinion, I think the 77's music is a great evangelistic tool.

12-28-2005 22:58 Cynthia is offline Search for Posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your Buddy List
BigDork
Happy Roy

images/avatars/avatar-218.jpg

Registration Date: 05-28-2004
Location: lI was lonely and hungry, but not so lonely I wouldn't eat

quote:
Originally posted by larryl
i am also curious as to how someone who loves "rock all the time" is hearing steven curtis chapman songs.....

also wondering if BD is having a little fun here....

nope, no fun from me

12-29-2005 06:56 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

images/avatars/avatar-381.gif

Registration Date: 11-17-2004
Favorite 77s album: The one's Mike plays guitar on

RE: lol Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by larryl
quote:
lol are they rock and roll songs though? as i listen to rock and nothing else and its gotta be hard hitting rock none of this wimpy stuff. And i believe if your going to claim to be a christian you need to write lyrics to that glorify the saviour otherwise might aswell talk about sex drugs and theft only like most worldly bands do. you cant be inbetween you gotta be a jesus freak or a world lover which in my case im a jesus freak.

o dear. houston, we have a problem.

let me direct you to the CCM magazine board, maybe you'll like it there.

My favorite post on this incredibly sucky thread.

I went to college with a bunch of real goofball christians like this.

Whether shandaman is a "real" person or an alias, it does paint a picture of what makes me sick to my stomach with a lot of "the church". Feel free to follow larryl's direction to the CCM magazine board.

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies
and i don't understand it"

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
12-29-2005 06:59 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
Cynthia
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-483.jpg

Registration Date: 07-20-2005

I think we need to "convert" him to 77's instead of throwing him aside.

In response - maybe there aren't alot of "Praise and worship" songs that the 77's sing, but they do sing about the emotions involved with trying to walk the Christian life. It is not easy for any of us, and if it was, I would wonder about the person's real walk. I think that anyone that can have a gut wrenching, heart to heart conversation with God like in "Hold Me Dearly" is not only walking the walk, but putting himself out there for sharing such deep, personal thoughts/conversation. The 77's songs are loaded with lyrics like that. That is by far the biggest reason I like them. I don't like "floofy" music, but real, honest stuff. Our church only sings praise and worship songs and quite honestly, they don't do much for me. Songs that get to the heart of our walk with God and share emotion, and share my incredible need for Him and His love for me, those are the songs that open up my heart and make me praise my God.

12-29-2005 07:58 Cynthia is offline Search for Posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your Buddy List
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

quote:
Originally posted by Cynthia

In response - maybe there aren't alot of "Praise and worship" songs that the 77's sing, but they do sing about the emotions involved with trying to walk the Christian life. It is not easy for any of us, and if it was, I would wonder about the person's real walk. I think that anyone that can have a gut wrenching, heart to heart conversation with God like in "Hold Me Dearly" is not only walking the walk, but putting himself out there for sharing such deep, personal thoughts/conversation. The 77's songs are loaded with lyrics like that. That is by far the biggest reason I like them. I don't like "floofy" music, but real, honest stuff. Our church only sings praise and worship songs and quite honestly, they don't do much for me. Songs that get to the heart of our walk with God and share emotion, and share my incredible need for Him and His love for me, those are the songs that open up my heart and make me praise my God.

"I'm getting jaded more and more every day"

About the only thing that will straighten this kid out is to live life. Life perspective will temper his outlook.

Most of the "pre-believers" that I know would never have anything to do with someone who has that narrow of a view. Until then, let him be happy on the ccm board, where he can get some "sugar cane in cellophane"

Alarma, somebody's pleading
Alarma, somebody's bleeding
Alarma, somebody's turning away

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
12-29-2005 08:12 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
Cheyenne Cheyenne is a female
Drowning with Land in Sight

images/avatars/avatar-513.jpg

Registration Date: 02-28-2005
Favorite 77s album: Sticks & Stones

quote:
Originally posted by 77 bc
quote:
Originally posted by Cynthia

"I'm getting jaded more and more every day"

About the only thing that will straighten this kid out is to live life. Life perspective will temper his outlook.

Most of the "pre-believers" that I know would never have anything to do with someone who has that narrow of a view. Until then, let him be happy on the ccm board, where he can get some "sugar cane in cellophane"

Alarma, somebody's pleading
Alarma, somebody's bleeding
Alarma, somebody's turning away

Sadly, I don't think you can really "convert" someone to good, honest, "real" music. Either they get it and the light switch goes on, or they don't. Maybe eventually they will but who can tell until it happens. Our purpose on this earth isn't to get people to like the music we do (although on message boards the world over, you'd swear that's not true!), although it'd be nice. From personal experience, I'm glad that the corny CCM exists, or at least, that it did back in the early 90's. I was force-fed CCM by my older sister before I was saved, and then I was saved, at a Petra concert, of all things. I listened to non-stop Newsboys, Steven Curtis, Michael W., Steve Taylor, Audio Adrenaline. (Although some don't consider Steve Taylor CCM, he was on the cover of the magazine a few times and whether or not people admit it, I think he was, although he was the best of the best). Then some friends made me go get Mike's autograph at a festival when I was 16, before I even knew his music, and then I bought Sticks and Stones and DWLIS and everything changed. Most of the music I listen to nowadays is not "Christian" by any means. But music with some uplifting, real message is the best, I believe, whether it's told through the sorrows and heartaches and troubles of the artist, or whether through a plain old uplifting message.

Anyhow, I'm at work and bored and rambling, but I just thought I'd point out that some 17 year old might NEED to still listen to that happy happy joy joy music. 17 year olds might not be able to argue their point extremely well, but they might need to *have* their point in the first place.

I agree though - I can't stomach that Petra crap anymore. Wink The message was what was important.
12-29-2005 09:45 Cheyenne is offline Send an Email to Cheyenne Search for Posts by Cheyenne Add Cheyenne to your Buddy List
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

I believe that Cheyenne just illustrated what I was trying to get at, with much more grace than I did.

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
12-29-2005 09:56 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
Alex Alex is a male
Mr. Magoo

images/avatars/avatar-115.jpg

Registration Date: 05-01-2005
Favorite 77s album: Eighty Eight

I love what the 77s do, but I also get high on worship music.

I read Charlie Peacock's "Crossroads" book, and it explains a few things to me.

Alex

12-29-2005 14:33 Alex is offline Send an Email to Alex Homepage of Alex Search for Posts by Alex Add Alex to your Buddy List
Pages (4): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » Rock And Roll

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH