77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » Rock And Roll » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (4): « first ... « previous 2 3 [4] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Rock And Roll 2 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Cynthia
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-483.jpg

Registration Date: 07-20-2005

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Good points. I just didn't think it was okay to tell him to get lost that's all. And then of course I had to share some of my own thoughts and passion on the music. Big Grin

12-29-2005 15:47 Cynthia is offline Search for Posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-446.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2004

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Alex
I love what the 77s do, but I also get high on worship music.

I read Charlie Peacock's "Crossroads" book, and it explains a few things to me.

Alex

fantastic book. it put into words things i had been feeling for years.

12-29-2005 17:55 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Homepage of larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of larryl: nashvillelarryl YIM Account Name of larryl: larryl922
Alex Alex is a male
Mr. Magoo

images/avatars/avatar-115.jpg

Registration Date: 05-01-2005
Favorite 77s album: Eighty Eight

quote:
Originally posted by larryl
quote:
I love what the 77s do, but I also get high on worship music.

I read Charlie Peacock's "Crossroads" book, and it explains a few things to me.

Alex

fantastic book. it put into words things i had been feeling for years.

That's what it did to me. I hope someday they translate it into German. I'd like to read it again in my own language. In a foreign language, you always miss a few good points.

Alex

12-30-2005 04:26 Alex is offline Send an Email to Alex Homepage of Alex Search for Posts by Alex Add Alex to your Buddy List
Cynthia
Mezzo

I'd like to read that book. I'm still working on No Compromise though. When I am done with that, it sounds really interesting.

12-30-2005 10:28 Cynthia is offline Search for Posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your Buddy List
DoItForLove DoItForLove is a male
Someone New

Registration Date: 12-31-2005
Favorite 77s album: 1987

Do you all really thing... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Serious question - do you all really think that the 77's music helps get people eternal life? In other words, a given person might not have made it to heaven if it weren't for a few songs?
12-31-2005 05:58 DoItForLove is offline Send an Email to DoItForLove Search for Posts by DoItForLove Add DoItForLove to your Buddy List
Cynthia
Mezzo

People only can get to heaven through Christ's blood, but God uses many things to bring people to Him. I kind of was thinking of the 77's music as a stepping stone for a person who may never give God or religious things much of a thought. Since the music is not just "holy" music, people who wouldn't be prone to listening to "holy" music easily would really like the 77's and start listening to them. (I hope you all can understand that statement in the kindness and respect that it was offered.) Then once the person likes the music and the band, they could easily start seeing the God loving attitudes of the band and start thinking about some of the lyrics that do talk about where we stand with God. Thoughts are more easily accepted when you see someone you respect having the same thoughts. I think many of the 77's fan's have a huge amount of respect for the band. It could easily be something that helped a person get saved. It is a ministry and not because someone picked the right notes for the melody or wrote the best lyrics, but mostly because of the sincerity and open heartedness and willingness to share of the people of the band and most of all a willingness to let God work through them. I think it really comes through in the music.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Cynthia: 12-31-2005 06:31.

12-31-2005 06:28 Cynthia is offline Search for Posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your Buddy List
Cheyenne Cheyenne is a female
Drowning with Land in Sight

images/avatars/avatar-513.jpg

Registration Date: 02-28-2005
Favorite 77s album: Sticks & Stones

Good answer Cynthia.

I believe God can use anything or anyone to introduce Jesus to another person, whether that thing or person blatantly says "Jesus is the way!" or whether they point towards Jesus in a slightly more subtle way and show love through their actions.
12-31-2005 11:55 Cheyenne is offline Send an Email to Cheyenne Search for Posts by Cheyenne Add Cheyenne to your Buddy List
Alex Alex is a male
Mr. Magoo

images/avatars/avatar-115.jpg

Registration Date: 05-01-2005
Favorite 77s album: Eighty Eight

RE: Do you all really thing... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by DoItForLove
Serious question - do you all really think that the 77's music helps get people eternal life? In other words, a given person might not have made it to heaven if it weren't for a few songs?

Serious answer: I had some bad years in my life, but I always loved good rock music. If I didn't have at least a few credible christian CDs to listen to during that time, I fear christians might have become a bunch of hypocrites to me. 88 by The 77s was among those CDs; I felt Mike Roe never presented himself "holier than me" and he had to fight his own demons. I could connect to that attitude when I laughed about the "Spandex White Metal Wave". Of course I didn't come back to Jesus because of a 77s CD, but it was definitely a piece of the pattern that brought me back, and I'm very thankful to the Mike and the band for that reason.

Alex

01-01-2006 13:07 Alex is offline Send an Email to Alex Homepage of Alex Search for Posts by Alex Add Alex to your Buddy List
waterdog waterdog is a male
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 10-26-2005
Favorite 77s album: late

RE: Do you all really thing... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DoItForLove

Serious answer: I had some bad years in my life, but I always loved good rock music. If I didn't have at least a few credible christian CDs to listen to during that time, I fear christians might have become a bunch of hypocrites to me. 88 by The 77s was among those CDs; I felt Mike Roe never presented himself "holier than me" and he had to fight his own demons. I could connect to that attitude when I laughed about the "Spandex White Metal Wave". Of course I didn't come back to Jesus because of a 77s CD, but it was definitely a piece of the pattern that brought me back, and I'm very thankful to the Mike and the band for that reason.

Alex

I would have to say I can relate completely with this train of thought. I was saved in 87 and entered what I call the weasel syndrome, I tryied to weasel out of everything to do with church. Of course that never worked because God kept comin' out for this one lost sheep. Got a lot of pressure to give up the secular music fer the Glorifying kind. Heard the sevens and Rick Elias and realised its not what I don't do but what I do do. I have been so thoroughly Brain Washed at church Shocked , and go back every week for another washin'

01-01-2006 17:31 waterdog is offline Send an Email to waterdog Search for Posts by waterdog Add waterdog to your Buddy List
Audiori J
unregistered

I agree with what everyone else answered. Being an effective 'witness' doesn't always mean trying to appear to be a saint, or blatently telling people they are lost and need Jesus. Sometimes they need to hear that of course, but sometimes we reach people better by the little things or sharing our own struggles and where our faith comes from. In a honest and uncondescending way. Thinking back over the years about the people that had the most spiritual influence in my life, it was those that did it subtle and with their own humilty. Before I even knew who Jesus was I had a gradeschool teacher read the CS Lewis Narnia Chronicles to our class. It doesn't really matter if she even knew what an influence that was one me, CS Lewis himself hoped that his books might make people more open to the story of Christ, without being too blunt. Those little seeds being planted, can be used by God to grow into something more fruitful. Its the willingness to share who you believe in, in the way God has given you that reaches people. Thats what God blesses and uses. We are all inadequate vessels for the Gospel, none of us can do it justice. But God will work through us if we are willing to do what we can with what he has given us. And we each are suited to share in our own unique way that is true to how we were personally designed by God.

To me the 77s music, the Lost Dogs, the Chior, Daniel Amos and various other related artists does reach me personally. I get something out of it beyond the vessels that it comes through. I can appreciate the guys for being faithful to keep doing what they do, because I know for a fact God has used it in my life. Much in a similar way as the Childrens books written by CS Lewis.

And having run the websites for a few years, my brother and I can attest to the fact that there are a lot of people that email, write or post in appreciation for how these guys have been used in their lives.
01-02-2006 10:54
DoItForLove DoItForLove is a male
Someone New

Registration Date: 12-31-2005
Favorite 77s album: 1987

I may not have been clear... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Thanks to everyone for their answers...I guess I wasn't as clear as I needed to be. I was more questioning the whole notion that God somehow relies on us to eternally save people. In other words, if we disobey God by not taking the gospel to country X, then a whole slew of people might go to hell? I don't believe this is how God saves. The only reason I even brought it up - the comments on the 77's music being a catalyst in someone's hearing, believing, and ultimately being eternally saved.

I realize that this is not a Bible study forum, so I'll leave the topic alone on this board.

Thank you, again, for the replies.

DoItForLove
01-03-2006 14:58 DoItForLove is offline Send an Email to DoItForLove Search for Posts by DoItForLove Add DoItForLove to your Buddy List
Audiori J
unregistered

Well, if I understand you correctly, the Bible also teaches that there are many members to the body 1 corinthians covers that pretty elequantly;

4 There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit.
5 There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord.
6 There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men.

The whole chapter goes on to talk about this. Some people are called to be preachers or missionaries, but not everyone is. Some are called to be comforters, some are called to teach or enlighten. The point being, everyone is used by God in the way he intends to use them, and that will be different among people. As long as they are faithful to do his will for them personally God will work through them to reach people. Its God that reaches people through the Holy Spirit and conviction, not anything that we do on our own.

Basically God can use a lot of different things to reach people, what reached you is not the same thing that reached me. The reason I accepted Christ is because someone was an inadequate but willing vessel for God to work through. God reached me through them, because of their faithfulness to Him.

Music is a tool, its a form of expression, a language and thus can be inspiring, evangalistic, comforting, enlightening, awe-inspiring, worshipful, or it can be tempting, degrading, blasphemous, etc.

God can and will work through those that are willing in the methods and talents they have been given by Him according to His plan.
01-03-2006 23:07
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-546.jpg

Registration Date: 09-30-2004
Favorite 77s album: Tom Tom Blues

Excellent points, Audiori J.

01-04-2006 07:24 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
Baby Elvis

unbalanced Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

hey Pea,

I see in you sig. some of the lyrics to Unbalanced, has to be my favorite 7s song.

01-04-2006 07:59 waterdog is offline Send an Email to waterdog Search for Posts by waterdog Add waterdog to your Buddy List
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-546.jpg

Registration Date: 09-30-2004
Favorite 77s album: Tom Tom Blues

RE: unbalanced Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by waterdog
hey Pea,

I see in you sig. some of the lyrics to Unbalanced, has to be my favorite 7s song.

Yeah.....isn't about time for another 77's rockin' release?
along the lines of Late, Golden Field, or Tom Tom

01-04-2006 08:06 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
Baby Elvis

RE: unbalanced Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

It sure is. I read somewhere in some review or interview that the Doctor is really groovin' on the melloness of the Dogs right now. I know! we gotta pray to God that he might light the rockin fire under that man

01-04-2006 08:10 waterdog is offline Send an Email to waterdog Search for Posts by waterdog Add waterdog to your Buddy List
Nekkid Prey Nekkid Prey is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-213.jpg

Registration Date: 06-06-2004
Favorite 77s album: Sticks and Stones

RE: lol Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by shandaman
lol are they rock and roll songs though? as i listen to rock and nothing else and its gotta be hard hitting rock none of this wimpy stuff. And i believe if your going to claim to be a christian you need to write lyrics to that glorify the saviour otherwise might aswell talk about sex drugs and theft only like most worldly bands do. you cant be inbetween you gotta be a jesus freak or a world lover which in my case im a jesus freak.

Shandaman,

I must completely disagree with you! Did all of David's psalms glorify God. No, some of them cry out in despair and question God's apparent inaction against injustice!

Did Solomon's song glorify God. No, it lifted up an example of perfect love between a husband and his wife. (It was, by no means, meant to be an allegory of Christ and his church.)

Everything is "coram deo," which is "under the gaze of God" in Latin. If you apply your definition of how one should conduct their musical/lyrical pursuits, you end up having Jesus spit out David and Solomon for being, as you might say, "lukewarm."

Sorry to be so blunt, but you need to think (or rethink) through your arguments.

01-15-2006 11:10 Nekkid Prey is offline Send an Email to Nekkid Prey Homepage of Nekkid Prey Search for Posts by Nekkid Prey Add Nekkid Prey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Nekkid Prey: Nekkid Prey YIM Account Name of Nekkid Prey: mike_beidler
Nekkid Prey Nekkid Prey is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-213.jpg

Registration Date: 06-06-2004
Favorite 77s album: Sticks and Stones

Late Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Whoops. I see I'm a little late on my response. Helps to read the whole thread before posting!!! ;-)

01-15-2006 11:27 Nekkid Prey is offline Send an Email to Nekkid Prey Homepage of Nekkid Prey Search for Posts by Nekkid Prey Add Nekkid Prey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Nekkid Prey: Nekkid Prey YIM Account Name of Nekkid Prey: mike_beidler
Pages (4): « first ... « previous 2 3 [4] Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » Rock And Roll

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH