77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » 77's, DA, The Choir, Adam Again featured in new HM Magazine » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page 77's, DA, The Choir, Adam Again featured in new HM Magazine
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Mark Mark is a male
Unbalanced

images/avatars/avatar-373.jpg

Registration Date: 05-30-2004
Favorite 77s album: Island Album

Thumb Up! 77's, DA, The Choir, Adam Again featured in new HM Magazine Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

One of my favorite music critics, Brian Quincy Newcomb, has a full two-page story (no pictures) in the latest issue of HM Magazine. It is their 20th Anniversary issue. Quincy's article is called "History of Christian Rock". In it he goes on to say that he loves all kinds of music, loves music that touches on spirituality, but wants real music that is good, not something sold to him that sucks but has Jesus' name on it. He talks about a few albums he's reviewed over the years that suck. But he also spoke of ones he loves. Here's a couple of excerpts:

"Then, a guy in Minneapolis who was in seminary with me, asked what I thought about Christian music, and was shocked by an articulate expression of the yin-yang, love-hate relationship that I've had with Christian music since the beginning. I love and am moved by it when it works: see any album by Daniel Amos and The Choir, and half the albums by Mike Knott. And, I'm repelled when it's imitative (see any album by Petra), exploits the trust and good will of Christians (see most praise & worship albums of the last ten years), or is just plain lame (remember that boy band that was a Christian version of N'Sync). I hate any band where the best thing you can say about them is that they sound just like "so & so", but they're Christians. Usually that's a lie - they don't sound anywhere near as good as the band they're imitating - and often the band they're imitating sucked anyway, they just happened to be successful. What's Christian about stealing another artist's successful musical style, and merely inserting some bad poetry about God or Jesus into some essentially boring love song?"

"But for all my trouble with the over-comercialized, over-zealous, oversold and under thought efforts of some of Christian music's biggest sellers, I'm most proud of those times when I shined a light on a great record that was being ignored by most of the mainstream Christian press: Chase The Kangaroo by The Choir, Alarma!, Doppelganger, and Darn Floor Big Bite by DA, Ten Songs and Homeboys by Adam Again, Shaded Pain by LSU."

"And so far, it's been a bumpy, often delightful ride. Sometimes the beauty and truth in a piece of music has sent chills down my spine, and streams of tears down my face, but rarely was it one of those manipulative, conspiratorial religious efforts intended to push all the appropriate buttons. It was 77's rockin' blues-fest in a sweaty church basement. Or, Bill Mallonee singing that "Earth Has No Sorrow (That Heaven Can't Heal)" in a sleazy bar. Or Indigo Girls encoring with the hymn "This Is My Song" in delicate a cappella harmonies. Or the band at my church covering Tom Petty's "The Waiting Is The Hardest Part", because honestly, it often is."

06-27-2005 17:33 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
phreak phreak is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

Registration Date: 08-02-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning With Land In Sight

RE: 77's, DA, The Choir, Adam Again featured in new HM Magazine Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Thank you Mark! I appreciate you sharing this story. I will have to pick up HM this week.

BQN is one of the critics that has been a light for me... one of the few voices in the music scene that I trusted over the years.

~f

~ ffphreeack!! ~

Christianity 101: love God; love others

06-28-2005 05:17 phreak is offline Send an Email to phreak Search for Posts by phreak Add phreak to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of phreak: doug77@mac.com
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Registration Date: 06-01-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning with Land in Sight

RE: 77's, DA, The Choir, Adam Again featured in new HM Magazine Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Thanks for the heads-up! I usually pick it up and leaf through it, but I hadn't loooked at this issue yet.

I have since corrected this, and was glad that I did so. He lends his own unique perspective to the "I relate to this, but don't relate to 'official' CCM too well" stance that most of us have expressed. He also gave quite the drop-kickin' to Don Francisco along the way. I guess I listen to the album that I have with more tolerance on the rare occasions that I get it out, since he's really got quite a testimony, and because "He's Alive" meant a lot to me years ago.

There is also another article about some of the interesting concerns connected with Christian rock over the years, e.g., Phil Keaggy must not be a real Christian because he has publicly said that he loves his Catholic mother. Oh, my--that just defies comment.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Marti: 07-11-2005 17:56.

06-29-2005 18:55 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Registration Date: 06-01-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning with Land in Sight

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Has anyone else picked up this issue of HM yet?

07-11-2005 17:58 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » 77's, DA, The Choir, Adam Again featured in new HM Magazine

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH