77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » God Sends Quails » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page God Sends Quails 2 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
sirjakeyjake sirjakeyjake is a male
Praying Naked

images/avatars/avatar-99.gif

Registration Date: 07-29-2004
Favorite 77s album: S&S

God Sends Quails Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I've been listening to my S&S cassette a lot lately. (It's the only copy I have, unless someone would have the heard to burn me a copy from an original CD...hint hint...)

Anyway, "God Sends Quails" has really been nailing me lately. I've been really stuck on that song...just replaying it over and over while driving around.

The whole idea of trying to do right in life...stumbling as you try to walk the long road out of an addiction or bondage or what-have-you into really being free...the pull at the flesh to go back while knowing it's the worst thing you could do...not bothering to notice the good things that happen in the middle of that time because you're too pissed at life to care..."got your past behind you, got your future in front of you"...

Intense themes for the past week or so.

Then I read the liner notes about how bad of a time Mike had trying to get the song recorded, etc.
Then I think about, what if this song was never recorded? I wouldn't be able to put words to such a struggle...yet I am encouraged because it *was* recorded.

It blows my mind to think that somebody didn't give up on finishing a song almost 20 years ago that today is like salve to the soul....to MY soul...and to many many others as well.

I didn't mean for this to sound so sappy, but...thank you, Mike, for not giving up.

"We are the music makers,
and we are the dreamers of dreams."
----------Willy Wonka----------
05-02-2005 19:53 sirjakeyjake is offline Send an Email to sirjakeyjake Search for Posts by sirjakeyjake Add sirjakeyjake to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for sirjakeyjake
BigDork
Happy Roy

images/avatars/avatar-218.jpg

Registration Date: 05-28-2004
Location: lI was lonely and hungry, but not so lonely I wouldn't eat

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

what a sap. Roll Eyes

good post Wink Smile )

05-02-2005 20:50 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
.evangeline. .evangeline. is a female
Radioactive Hatchling

Registration Date: 06-05-2004

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

yes it was

"...the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it by force."
05-02-2005 21:34 .evangeline. is offline Send an Email to .evangeline. Search for Posts by .evangeline. Add .evangeline. to your Buddy List
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

RE: God Sends Quails Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Gosh, thanks for this post! I should probably be doing some hard listening to "God Sends Quails" myself these days.

Physician, heal thyself!
05-02-2005 21:57 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Registration Date: 06-01-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning with Land in Sight

RE: God Sends Quails Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by sirjakeyjake
I've been listening to my S&S cassette a lot lately. (It's the only copy I have, unless someone would have the heard to burn me a copy from an original CD...hint hint...)

Anyway, "God Sends Quails" has really been nailing me lately. I've been really stuck on that song...just replaying it over and over while driving around.

The whole idea of trying to do right in life...stumbling as you try to walk the long road out of an addiction or bondage or what-have-you into really being free...the pull at the flesh to go back while knowing it's the worst thing you could do...not bothering to notice the good things that happen in the middle of that time because you're too pissed at life to care..."got your past behind you, got your future in front of you"...

Then I read the liner notes about how bad of a time Mike had trying to get the song recorded, etc.
Then I think about, what if this song was never recorded? I wouldn't be able to put words to such a struggle...yet I am encouraged because it *was* recorded.

It blows my mind to think that somebody didn't give up on finishing a song almost 20 years ago that today is like salve to the soul....to MY soul...and to many many others as well.

I didn't mean for this to sound so sappy, but...thank you, Mike, for not giving up.

This is very well stated. I had a similar experience the other night with something that I was trying to puzzle out: "You can't go back....you can go on....". It changed my whole train of thought on the matter.

I don't think it's sappy--I think it's a good time to say thank you and provide encouragement.

Also--as I reread this, I think you've gotten me off of the fence to get something done in the next couple of days, so thanks much, jake!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Marti: 05-03-2005 04:31.

05-03-2005 04:28 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

images/avatars/avatar-381.gif

Registration Date: 11-17-2004
Favorite 77s album: The one's Mike plays guitar on

quote:
Originally posted by sirjakeyjake

I can agree with that. There are several of the 77's lyrics that have worked on me, kinda like that holy 2X4 that God tends to have to whack me over the head with, to get my attention.

(BTW...the guitar work on that song is awesome, too!)

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies
and i don't understand it"

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
05-03-2005 04:38 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
Praying Naked

Thread Starter Thread Started by sirjakeyjake
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by BigDork
what a sap. Roll Eyes

good post Wink Smile )

You're killin' me, Smalls!

Yeah, I was acutally "sappier" than that at first...but I really wasn't going for the "sap" factor. Tongue

05-03-2005 22:03 sirjakeyjake is offline Send an Email to sirjakeyjake Search for Posts by sirjakeyjake Add sirjakeyjake to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for sirjakeyjake
Praying Naked

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Love
Gosh, thanks for this post! I should probably be doing some hard listening to "God Sends Quails" myself these days.

Physician, heal thyself!

Well, you're very welcome! Thank God that, even as the new pope reminded us about being "insufficient vessels", we are vessels nonetheless. And not to be in "kiss a**" fashion, but you and the guys deserve my thanks, the thanks of others, and much much more, a billion times over. I hope the thousands of posts on this board remind you of our thanks.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by sirjakeyjake: 05-04-2005 08:04.

05-03-2005 22:08 sirjakeyjake is offline Send an Email to sirjakeyjake Search for Posts by sirjakeyjake Add sirjakeyjake to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for sirjakeyjake
Praying Naked

Just getting home from taking older daughter to school, listening to the song, my mind started spinning...

I think the 7s did "God Sends Quails" in Eugene last year! Talk about a "duh" moment!

Makes me that more excited to see if/when something materializes from that show.

05-06-2005 09:36 sirjakeyjake is offline Send an Email to sirjakeyjake Search for Posts by sirjakeyjake Add sirjakeyjake to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for sirjakeyjake
phreak phreak is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

Registration Date: 08-02-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning With Land In Sight

^ yup!

they did - it was amazing.

~f

~ ffphreeack!! ~

Christianity 101: love God; love others

05-06-2005 09:51 phreak is offline Send an Email to phreak Search for Posts by phreak Add phreak to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of phreak: doug77@mac.com
Praying Naked

It just rang a bell today for some reason...and the more I think about it, the more I remember wondering what that song was about, because I don't think I could understand it well. I seem to recall thinking at the time that is was more a jam session than anything...in my naievety, that is. Smile

Whenever it comes up, I recall again and again to my wife about hearing "Pray Naked" and "Nobody's Fault..." live...and my eyes swell...and she actually wishes she came with me, just to hear those two songs. (OK, THAT was a little sappy...sappy but true...at least that's what she says.)

05-06-2005 09:58 sirjakeyjake is offline Send an Email to sirjakeyjake Search for Posts by sirjakeyjake Add sirjakeyjake to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for sirjakeyjake
phreak phreak is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

Registration Date: 08-02-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning With Land In Sight

Bottom Line was amazing for me to hear live in Eugene... just completely surreal...

hearing you walked in the room was also a treat...

Unbalanced - never fails to blow me away and Woody!!!!! The eugene show was just a complete show - they rocked HARD and then of course did a couple of the lovely pop songs as well.

~f

~ ffphreeack!! ~

Christianity 101: love God; love others

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by phreak: 05-06-2005 10:14.

05-06-2005 10:13 phreak is offline Send an Email to phreak Search for Posts by phreak Add phreak to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of phreak: doug77@mac.com
BigDork
Happy Roy

don't forget Dave's Blues!!! Cool

05-06-2005 18:15 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
Audiori J
unregistered

For myself, the point of the song that realy sticks in my mind
has always been God sends his blessings from his Grace..and
we as people are generally unappreciative. We spit out
the mana and God sends Quail... God meets our needs,
maybe not our wants. We should be thankful for his grace,
and we still struggle to go on. There should be an encouragement
that God supplies us with what we need, but we are so
blind we take his blessings for granted. Its always been one
of my favorite 77s tracks. It expresses very well that
struggle we all go through, brings attention to the truth
that we all need to hear. But coming from the perspective
of someone who admits to the same struggle, so not to be
taken as a preachy holier than thou kind of thing.
05-11-2005 12:45
Nekkid Prey Nekkid Prey is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-213.jpg

Registration Date: 06-06-2004
Favorite 77s album: Sticks and Stones

Dave's Blues [uncurdled version] Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Speaking of "Dave's Blues," will the "uncurdled" version in all its "this old world has kicked my ass" glory ever be released, either on a rarities release or a downloadable mp3?

05-11-2005 20:48 Nekkid Prey is offline Send an Email to Nekkid Prey Homepage of Nekkid Prey Search for Posts by Nekkid Prey Add Nekkid Prey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Nekkid Prey: Nekkid Prey YIM Account Name of Nekkid Prey: mike_beidler
BigDork
Happy Roy

RE: Dave's Blues [uncurdled version] Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Nekkid Prey
Speaking of "Dave's Blues," will the "uncurdled" version in all its "this old world has kicked my ass" glory ever be released, either on a rarities release or a downloadable mp3?

I believe "Eugene Ass" was recorded when Dave joined the boys in Oregon. Tongue

05-11-2005 21:25 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » God Sends Quails

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH