77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » Denomination Blues attribution error » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Denomination Blues attribution error 2 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
BurtJB BurtJB is a male
Someone New

Registration Date: 02-26-2005

Denomination Blues attribution error Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

So I was taking a close look at my LP copy of Ping Pong (which by the way I will be selling on E-Bay in the next few days - UserID "BurtJB") and noticed for the first time that "Denomination Blues" is supposedly a Ry Cooder song. A little research though proves this to actually be a Washington Phillips song (early Gospel singer), which Ry Cooder did cover. It's wierd though, because the copyright on the 77's album is 1972 (when Ry recorded it). From a comparison of clips though, it is clearly the same as the Washington Phillips song.

The only thing I can think is maybe the lyrics are public domain, but Ry Cooder's arrangement is copyrighted?

Anyway...I also noticed the 77's left out a verse about the Baptists.

02-26-2005 17:19 BurtJB is offline Send an Email to BurtJB Homepage of BurtJB Search for Posts by BurtJB Add BurtJB to your Buddy List
dennis
Happy Roy

images/avatars/avatar-487.jpg

Registration Date: 10-03-2004
Favorite 77s album: "88"

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

another example of The Man ripping off the poor blues singer.
02-26-2005 20:44 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
rob 3.0 rob 3.0 is a male
Radioactive Crow

images/avatars/avatar-180.gif

Registration Date: 05-28-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning With Land in Sight

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

In live shows Mike attributes the song to Washington Phillips. I never noticed that about the PPOTA notes.

Was I ever on the inside?
02-27-2005 06:19 rob 3.0 is offline Send an Email to rob 3.0 Homepage of rob 3.0 Search for Posts by rob 3.0 Add rob 3.0 to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of rob 3.0: digitalrob3 YIM Account Name of rob 3.0: flashfan77 View the MSN Profile for rob 3.0
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

images/avatars/avatar-381.gif

Registration Date: 11-17-2004
Favorite 77s album: The one's Mike plays guitar on

I would assume that your initial assessment is more than likely correct. When PPOTA was released, back in '82, info was not nearly as readily available as it is now, since Al Gore invented the internet.

When Mike & Mark played the song in Springfield, the intro to the song was about Washington Phillips, and never once do I remember Ry Cooder mentioned.

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies
and i don't understand it"

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
02-27-2005 06:28 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

Denomination Confusion Blues Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I believe that the song was in the public domain for quite awhile, having amassed numerous verses and versions. Possibly Ry Cooder re-arranged and then subsequently bought the rights to it circa 1972 and the song has borne his name as the composer ever since. This is not unlike what happened to Blind Willie Johnson's "Nobody's Fault But Mine", although to be fair, Page and Plant's version really is a new composition based only marginally on the original. I've never heard Cooder's "Denomination" but this might also be the case?....

I always try and credit Mr. Phillips with the song because it was his frustration with the hypocrisy of the early 20th century American Christian denominations that gave the song birth and life in the first place.

Amazingly, I/we still continue to perform this piece 23 years after recording it. It has remained powerful, and I've watched hardened sinners respond to its simple message time and time again.
02-27-2005 13:27 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
dennis
Happy Roy

I have a great blues radio that was broadcast on the CBC (like the BBC but for Canada) and they play Canned Heat's hit song "Going Up the Country" and than an old blues song from the 1920's and except for the lyrics it's the same song! It's even the same arrangement!

It's a common story I am sad to say. The music publishing industry seems to make money for everyone except the fella who wrote the song to start with.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 02-27-2005 15:10.

02-27-2005 15:08 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Doctor Love

ripoff or just R.I.P.? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yeh, I have that 1920's recording too -- amazing, isn't it? It's part of a collection called "The Roots Of Rock", which also includes the Allman Brothers' "Statesboro Blues" sung by a black blues shouter who sounds both male & female at the same time and phrases exactly like Chrissie Hynde of The Pretenders! Shocked Quite revealing.

It's hard to know how to feel about the 'ripoff' aspect when you consider that so many of these folks have died so long ago without a trace and it's hard, if not impossible, for record comanies and/or publishers to contact their descendants. Occcasionally one of the grandkids with savvy and/or money for a music biz attorney will make good, but sadly it doesn't happen as often as it should... Frown
02-27-2005 15:34 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
Nailtatt Nailtatt is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-212.jpg

Registration Date: 05-28-2004
Favorite 77s album: Sticks and Stones

All I can say, Is that song sums up the way I feel about church better than any song I can think of. Whoever wrote it originally hit the nail on the head and were probably kicked out of the church at the time.

02-27-2005 15:38 Nailtatt is offline Send an Email to Nailtatt Search for Posts by Nailtatt Add Nailtatt to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Nailtatt
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

RE: ripoff or just R.I.P.? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Not to mention the numerous offspring that were "unaccounted for" to begin with, or so the legends say...

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
02-27-2005 15:38 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
BurtJB BurtJB is a male
Someone New

Thread Starter Thread Started by BurtJB

If you want to hear clips from other versions of "Denomination Blues", you can go to www.allmusic.com, do a song search for it, then click on the little speaker icons next to the listings. You can hear short clips from the Washington Phillips and the Ry Cooder versions.

So out of curiosity, was the omission of the Baptist part on purpose? The line says "The Primitive Baptists, they believe, that you can't go to heaven unless you wash your feet"...

The Ry Cooder version is interesting...it really retains the jingly sound of the Washington Phillips version.

02-27-2005 17:18 BurtJB is offline Send an Email to BurtJB Homepage of BurtJB Search for Posts by BurtJB Add BurtJB to your Buddy List
BurtJB BurtJB is a male
Someone New

Thread Starter Thread Started by BurtJB

hmm...didn't realize it was going to turn that into an actual link and accidentally got the comma in there. Try this:

www.allmusic.com

02-27-2005 17:21 BurtJB is offline Send an Email to BurtJB Homepage of BurtJB Search for Posts by BurtJB Add BurtJB to your Buddy List
Doctor Love

foot washing Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

We learned our version from Steve Scott. He never sang that verse as far as I can tell. Don't think it would have fit our rather sober rendering anyway.

>So out of curiosity, was the omission of the Baptist part on purpose?
>The line says "The Primitive Baptists, they believe, that you can't go
>to heaven unless you wash your feet"...
02-27-2005 18:31 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
dennis
Happy Roy

RE: ripoff or just R.I.P.? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Love
Yeh, I have that 1920's recording too -- amazing, isn't it? It's part of a collection called "The Roots Of Rock", which also includes the Allman Brothers' "Statesboro Blues" sung by a black blues shouter who sounds both male & female at the same time and phrases exactly like Chrissie Hynde of The Pretenders! Shocked Quite revealing.

It's hard to know how to feel about the 'ripoff' aspect when you consider that so many of these folks have died so long ago without a trace and it's hard, if not impossible, for record comanies and/or publishers to contact their descendants. Occcasionally one of the grandkids with savvy and/or money for a music biz attorney will make good, but sadly it doesn't happen as often as it should... Frown

Yeah I don't know how I feel about it either.
I know every once in awhile is some new written about how the tune to "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" was written by some African fella who never saw a red cent of the royalties, while hundreds of artists have used at least a part of, if not the entire song! Shocked

Chrissie Hynde is pretty much a man anyway, isn't she? Tongue
02-28-2005 16:09 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

quote:
Originally posted by dennis

Shame on you, Dennis. Chrissie rocks!

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
02-28-2005 16:43 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
dennis
Happy Roy

quote:
Originally posted by 77 bc
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

Shame on you, Dennis. Chrissie rocks!

No! She's awesome! She does rock! She's also a man! Tongue
02-28-2005 16:48 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
chadzwo chadzwo is a male
Someone New

Registration Date: 06-08-2004
Favorite 77s album: Self-Titled (the first one)

RE: Denomination Blues attribution error Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

For what it is worth, the misunderstanding of the Primitive Baptist belief is quite humorous, it's a good thing Roe & Co. didn't use the line, would have been egg on their face. Smile
03-04-2005 22:39 chadzwo is offline Send an Email to chadzwo Search for Posts by chadzwo Add chadzwo to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-446.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2004

i just found the original washington phillips version of this......along with a disc with a alot of his stuff.......

i am pretty happy about it.

06-28-2006 06:50 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Homepage of larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of larryl: nashvillelarryl YIM Account Name of larryl: larryl922
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » Denomination Blues attribution error

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH