77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » Daydream » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Daydream
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
sevens
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-130.jpg

Registration Date: 01-18-2005

Thumb Up! Daydream Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

listening to Daydream right now........

What a great album! I was wondering kind Doctor if maybe Pink Floyd and David Gilmour influenced the sound on this album?

It sounds alot like The Division Bell in some ways Cool

02-18-2005 10:16 sevens is offline Send an Email to sevens Homepage of sevens Search for Posts by sevens Add sevens to your Buddy List
TJ 2.0
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-413.gif

Registration Date: 09-13-2004
Favorite 77s album: Island/Sticks and Stones/88

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I love that album. Daydream, that is. (ok, Division Bell too, but...)

I used to put my youngest son to sleep everynight to " Sailing South From Mendocino". That song, no matter how fussy he was, put him right out.
02-18-2005 10:40 TJ 2.0 is offline Send an Email to TJ 2.0 Homepage of TJ 2.0 Search for Posts by TJ 2.0 Add TJ 2.0 to your Buddy List
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Registration Date: 06-01-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning with Land in Sight

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

That is a good album for sailing away....

02-18-2005 10:41 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
rob 3.0 rob 3.0 is a male
Radioactive Crow

images/avatars/avatar-180.gif

Registration Date: 05-28-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning With Land in Sight

yep, I love Daydream, its relaxing and beautiful.

Was I ever on the inside?
02-18-2005 11:18 rob 3.0 is offline Send an Email to rob 3.0 Homepage of rob 3.0 Search for Posts by rob 3.0 Add rob 3.0 to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of rob 3.0: digitalrob3 YIM Account Name of rob 3.0: flashfan77 View the MSN Profile for rob 3.0
carl carl is a male
Flower in the Sand

Registration Date: 06-02-2004
Favorite 77s album: The Funky Crow Thang
Location: Loveland, CO.... "I told my mother when I was four years old I wanted to be a Rock and Roll singer and a dishwasher. And that's kinda how it's worked out."

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'm gonna have to bust that one out again....

(this is my official work photo, BTW... Tongue Shocked )
02-18-2005 11:22 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Homepage of carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List
BigDork
Happy Roy

images/avatars/avatar-218.jpg

Location: lI was lonely and hungry, but not so lonely I wouldn't eat

I finally bought a copy of this at the dogs bbq in sd last month. Cool

it's still sealed cuz I have the original bootleg version that I bought from mike way back when it was called sleepwalk. Pleased

02-18-2005 14:42 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
sevens
Flower in the Sand

Thread Starter Thread Started by sevens

Smile ) Still amazes me how much Daydream sounds like Dave Gilmour.......

it's funny to me cause Dave is in my opinon the best guitar player ever.....followed closely by the good Doctor Cool

02-23-2005 08:30 sevens is offline Send an Email to sevens Homepage of sevens Search for Posts by sevens Add sevens to your Buddy List
TJ 2.0
Flower in the Sand

quote:
Originally posted by sevens

it's funny to me cause Dave is in my opinon the best guitar player ever.....followed closely by the good Doctor Cool

is it just me, or is this a deja vu post.

because i could have sworn i read this elsewhere like a week ago.
02-23-2005 08:35 TJ 2.0 is offline Send an Email to TJ 2.0 Homepage of TJ 2.0 Search for Posts by TJ 2.0 Add TJ 2.0 to your Buddy List
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

Exit Studio session pics Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

http://www.two-leggeddog.com/tld/photos.asp

These aren't all that great, but you can see a little of what went on. The engineer is Ralph Stover, the man responsible for mixing almost all of our recordings over the past seven years.
02-23-2005 08:36 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
sevens
Flower in the Sand

quote:
Originally posted by TJ 2.0
quote:
Originally posted by sevens

is it just me, or is this a deja vu post.

because i could have sworn i read this elsewhere like a week ago.

Red Face it's a glich in the system Red Face

that's what deja vu is in The Matrix a glich in the system Shocked

02-23-2005 08:37 sevens is offline Send an Email to sevens Homepage of sevens Search for Posts by sevens Add sevens to your Buddy List
sevens
Flower in the Sand

RE: Exit Studio session pics Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Love
http://www.two-leggeddog.com/tld/photos.asp

These aren't all that great, but you can see a little of what went on. The engineer is Ralph Stover, the man responsible for mixing almost all of our recordings over the past seven years.

Big Grin I love this! marked down to $149.97

02-23-2005 08:39 sevens is offline Send an Email to sevens Homepage of sevens Search for Posts by sevens Add sevens to your Buddy List
rob 3.0 rob 3.0 is a male
Radioactive Crow

images/avatars/avatar-180.gif

Favorite 77s album: Drowning With Land in Sight

LOL Big Grin

Was I ever on the inside?
02-23-2005 08:40 rob 3.0 is offline Send an Email to rob 3.0 Homepage of rob 3.0 Search for Posts by rob 3.0 Add rob 3.0 to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of rob 3.0: digitalrob3 YIM Account Name of rob 3.0: flashfan77 View the MSN Profile for rob 3.0
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

Daydream Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

This album is very dear to my heart, and a deep personal favorite.

David Gilmour is a wonderful player and I'm a fan of The Division Bell and many other Floyd works, but he has never been an influence on my playing, at least conciously. I am certain that all prominent players like Dave have a general influence on most everyone from time to time, but I never ever think of him because the Floyd were not anywhere near the center of what got to me emotionally as I was developing and practicing a lot.

Possibly Mark Harmon's "Mendocino" piece pulled a certain kind of playing out of me that isn't what I normally do, and perhaps it may remind certain listeners of Gilmour or Santana and others. George Holden (Indian "Pray Naked" phone voice and cover artist for Stick & Stones and Pray Naked) thought I was channelling Jorma Kaukonen on that one, but that was probably because of the wah-wah pedal section -- I'm certain it reminded him of all those leads on the Airplane's Volunteers album so naturally he thought that. There's more of that on my Mt. Tamalpais song, but I was thinking Uncle Jerry while George was thinking Jorma. I'm certain Jorma's in there though, and that's what fascinates me about all this. It's as if these players leave traces of their soul in the notes of their music and one is able to absorb these soul traces. (I'm certain there is some Native American lore along these lines to explain all this!) Roll Eyes

The credits of this album contain a list of players who influenced me conciously during the sessions. I'm certain Gilmour and many others helped also, but I'm not usually aware of it.
02-23-2005 08:54 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
sevens
Flower in the Sand

RE: Daydream Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Love
This album is very dear to my heart, and a deep personal favorite.

David Gilmour is a wonderful player and I'm a fan of The Division Bell and many other Floyd works, but he has never been an influence on my playing, at least conciously. I am certain that all prominent players like Dave have a general influence on most everyone from time to time, but I never ever think of him because the Floyd were not anywhere near the center of what got to me emotionally as I was developing and practicing a lot.

Possibly Mark Harmon's "Mendocino" piece pulled a certain kind of playing out of me that isn't what I normally do, and perhaps it may remind certain listeners of Gilmour or Santana and others. George Holden (Indian "Pray Naked" phone voice and cover artist for Stick & Stones and Pray Naked) thought I was channelling Jorma Kaukonen on that one, but that was probably because of the wah-wah pedal section -- I'm certain it reminded him of all those leads on the Airplane's Volunteers album so naturally he thought that. There's more of that on my Mt. Tamalpais song, but I was thinking Uncle Jerry while George was thinking Jorma. I'm certain Jorma's in there though, and that's what fascinates me about all this. It's as if these players leave traces of their soul in the notes of their music and one is able to absorb these soul traces. (I'm certain there is some Native American lore along these lines to explain all this!) Roll Eyes

The credits of this album contain a list of players who influenced me conciously during the sessions. I'm certain Gilmour and many others helped also, but I'm not usually aware of it.

very cool Cool

I admit when I first heard Daydream I was surprised to hear the sounds you were making, it's not what I was used to from you. But I fell in love with it right away, and it's one of your greatest works I must say. I guess the Pink Floyd comparison comes maybe more from the serene feel of the music more than your actuall guitar playing. I can shut the lights out and sit in a dark room with Floyd so it is with Daydream, it's an adventure outside of your body in a lot of ways. I absolutley Love it, thanks for an incredible piece of art Mike. Big Grin

02-23-2005 09:00 sevens is offline Send an Email to sevens Homepage of sevens Search for Posts by sevens Add sevens to your Buddy List
TJ 2.0
Flower in the Sand

There are so many layers to that album. But the underlying tone is mellow, which I love. I like when I can listen to a song on that cd, and it just kinda drifts, and takes you with it. Like Alex said, you can kill the lights, chill out and just listen, and get swept away in the process.
02-23-2005 09:27 TJ 2.0 is offline Send an Email to TJ 2.0 Homepage of TJ 2.0 Search for Posts by TJ 2.0 Add TJ 2.0 to your Buddy List
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

images/avatars/avatar-381.gif

Registration Date: 11-17-2004
Favorite 77s album: The one's Mike plays guitar on

I thought it was just a great make-out record!

Big Grin

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies
and i don't understand it"

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
02-23-2005 09:41 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
larryl larryl is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-446.jpg

i mentioned this elsewhere...but it might not get noticed there.....

i just bought this used (forgot it was still in the webstore....sorry mike!!)

the one i got is from union music, from their "moments of meditation" series.....

are there differences i should know about between this and the official release?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by larryl: 05-09-2005 16:00.

05-09-2005 15:59 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Homepage of larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of larryl: nashvillelarryl YIM Account Name of larryl: larryl922
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

images/avatars/avatar-381.gif

Registration Date: 11-17-2004
Favorite 77s album: The one's Mike plays guitar on

Musically, I don't believe that there is.

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies
and i don't understand it"

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
05-09-2005 16:26 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Favorite 77s album: Drowning with Land in Sight

It's great art, and it has some other quality that's hard to put into words. The first time I listened to it, I came away more of a whole person for the experience.

05-10-2005 04:36 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » Daydream

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH