77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » Question for the Board » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Question for the Board
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Uncle Remus Uncle Remus is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-577.jpg

Registration Date: 02-08-2005

Question for the Board Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Following up on Greener's admission, I, too, am unfamiliar with the 77s' work after "A Golden Field of Radioactive Crows." What is the consensus on the band's work since that album? Also, in college I heard bits and pieces of Mike Roe's solo works. What is the board's thoughts on those albums? Objectivity would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance...
02-09-2005 19:14 Uncle Remus is offline Search for Posts by Uncle Remus Add Uncle Remus to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Uncle Remus: yoknapatawpha_lawyer
sevens
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-130.jpg

Registration Date: 01-18-2005

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Mike's solo projects are awesome!

I especially LOVE Safe As Milk.....my favorite of Mike's solo albums......followed by Luthern Hymn....and The Boat Ashore......

Daydream is a musical guitar masterpiece!

No words here to interfere with Mike's very jazzy sound on this album......and I'd have to agree with Mike when he told me in Chicago he calls this his "makeout" album.....LOL.......it's a great listen!

02-09-2005 19:26 sevens is offline Send an Email to sevens Homepage of sevens Search for Posts by sevens Add sevens to your Buddy List
TJ 2.0
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-413.gif

Registration Date: 09-13-2004
Favorite 77s album: Island/Sticks and Stones/88

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

OK, as one who's followed the 7's since '84, I can tell you that post-Golden Field is much more 'straight up' rock, not too much in the way of the 'alternative' sound they had in the 80's, but not the bluesy feel of Tom Tom Blues either. If you want a good representation of present day 77s, get "Late". GREAT cd.

As for Mike's solo stuff......."Safe As Milk" and "The Boat Ashore" have very strong folk/blues ties. "The Boat Ashore" is probably one of my all time favorite cd's, as it has it's mellow moments, and it's solid blues-jamming moments.

There was a time during the Tom Tom Blues stage that I didn't follow the band quite as closely, but I've long since reaquainted myself with their work, and I can tell you that while nothing they've put out in the last 5 years could compare stylistically with, say, the Island s/t release, it is still very solid in it's own right, and keeps with the style that is the 7's.

Hope this helps. My 2 cents.....
02-09-2005 20:58 TJ 2.0 is offline Send an Email to TJ 2.0 Homepage of TJ 2.0 Search for Posts by TJ 2.0 Add TJ 2.0 to your Buddy List
rob 3.0 rob 3.0 is a male
Radioactive Crow

images/avatars/avatar-180.gif

Registration Date: 05-28-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning With Land in Sight

maybe I'm confused but isn't the only thing "Post" Golden Field, Direct. (not counting solo stuff) I wouldn't exactly call that 'straight up' rock.

Was I ever on the inside?
02-10-2005 09:02 rob 3.0 is offline Send an Email to rob 3.0 Homepage of rob 3.0 Search for Posts by rob 3.0 Add rob 3.0 to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of rob 3.0: digitalrob3 YIM Account Name of rob 3.0: flashfan77 View the MSN Profile for rob 3.0
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

images/avatars/avatar-381.gif

Registration Date: 11-17-2004
Favorite 77s album: The one's Mike plays guitar on

quote:
Originally posted by rob 3.0
maybe I'm confused but isn't the only thing "Post" Golden Field, Direct. (not counting solo stuff) I wouldn't exactly call that 'straight up' rock.

My thoughts exactly!

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies
and i don't understand it"

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
02-10-2005 09:32 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
phreak phreak is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

Registration Date: 08-02-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning With Land In Sight

alterna-folk-bluegrass-funky-jazz-rock...

that would be one way to think of post crows recordings by the 7's...

one freak's perspective...

~f

~ ffphreeack!! ~

Christianity 101: love God; love others

02-10-2005 10:16 phreak is offline Send an Email to phreak Search for Posts by phreak Add phreak to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of phreak: doug77@mac.com
TJ 2.0
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-413.gif

Registration Date: 09-13-2004
Favorite 77s album: Island/Sticks and Stones/88

quote:
Originally posted by 77 bc
quote:
Originally posted by rob 3.0

My thoughts exactly!

I thought "Late" was post-Golden as well.......
02-10-2005 11:10 TJ 2.0 is offline Send an Email to TJ 2.0 Homepage of TJ 2.0 Search for Posts by TJ 2.0 Add TJ 2.0 to your Buddy List
phreak phreak is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

Registration Date: 08-02-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning With Land In Sight

actually late came out before the full release of crows if I am not mistaken...

radioactive singles and late came out fairly close to one another... and I think late preceded crows...

late was a release for the Family Christian Stores...

~f

~ ffphreeack!! ~

Christianity 101: love God; love others

02-10-2005 11:11 phreak is offline Send an Email to phreak Search for Posts by phreak Add phreak to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of phreak: doug77@mac.com
rob 3.0 rob 3.0 is a male
Radioactive Crow

images/avatars/avatar-180.gif

Registration Date: 05-28-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning With Land in Sight

yeah Late was pre-AGFORC, if I remember correctly it was put together and released because AGFORC was delayed. And everyhting on Late was recorded way before Crows wasn't it. Most of it comes from EP and Tom Tom Blues.

Was I ever on the inside?
02-10-2005 12:23 rob 3.0 is offline Send an Email to rob 3.0 Homepage of rob 3.0 Search for Posts by rob 3.0 Add rob 3.0 to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of rob 3.0: digitalrob3 YIM Account Name of rob 3.0: flashfan77 View the MSN Profile for rob 3.0
sirjakeyjake sirjakeyjake is a male
Praying Naked

images/avatars/avatar-99.gif

Registration Date: 07-29-2004
Favorite 77s album: S&S

quote:
Originally posted by TJ 2.0
If you want a good representation of present day 77s, get "Late". GREAT cd.

I agree..."Late" is an excellent CD. I'm also among the many who can say "since the beginning", and I'd say "Late" is one you must have. (Or, just get all of them...if you can!)

"We are the music makers,
and we are the dreamers of dreams."
----------Willy Wonka----------
02-10-2005 20:34 sirjakeyjake is offline Send an Email to sirjakeyjake Search for Posts by sirjakeyjake Add sirjakeyjake to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for sirjakeyjake
carl carl is a male
Flower in the Sand

Registration Date: 06-02-2004
Favorite 77s album: The Funky Crow Thang
Location: Loveland, CO.... "I told my mother when I was four years old I wanted to be a Rock and Roll singer and a dishwasher. And that's kinda how it's worked out."

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Just buy them all. You won't be sorry. Big Grin

(this is my official work photo, BTW... Tongue Shocked )
02-11-2005 06:28 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Homepage of carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » Question for the Board

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH