77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » 77s site » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page 77s site
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
DaLe DaLe is a male
Mr. Magoo

images/avatars/avatar-556.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2004
Location: MiNNeSoTa - HeRe we put salt on the Roads... Lord, Help me be Salt of the Earth - NoT Salt in the Wound. so, take most everything I SaY HeRe with a grain of Salt !

Thumb Up! 77s site Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

http://uu.cx/77s/
check out the tangentæ area... interesting...
soapbox
ego

02-04-2005 06:09 DaLe is offline Send an Email to DaLe Search for Posts by DaLe Add DaLe to your Buddy List
TJ 2.0
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-413.gif

Registration Date: 09-13-2004
Favorite 77s album: Island/Sticks and Stones/88

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

While he makes some good points there, I don't know that I agree 1005 with him. But he definately makes valid points.

But what I find interesting, is that for all the ranting about "Christian" music, and it's need to be NOT separated from the 'whole' of the music industry, he continually makes a distinction when referring to DA/The Choir/77s, calling them "Christian" bands. Hmmm..........
02-04-2005 07:54 TJ 2.0 is offline Send an Email to TJ 2.0 Homepage of TJ 2.0 Search for Posts by TJ 2.0 Add TJ 2.0 to your Buddy List
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Favorite 77s album: Drowning with Land in Sight

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

What are the valid points for those of us who can't get there, please?

02-04-2005 10:14 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
rob 3.0 rob 3.0 is a male
Radioactive Crow

images/avatars/avatar-180.gif

Registration Date: 05-28-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning With Land in Sight

quote:
Originally posted by TJ 2.0
While he makes some good points there, I don't know that I agree 1005 with him. But he definately makes valid points.

But what I find interesting, is that for all the ranting about "Christian" music, and it's need to be NOT separated from the 'whole' of the music industry, he continually makes a distinction when referring to DA/The Choir/77s, calling them "Christian" bands. Hmmm..........

I also agree with a lot of what he says but definately not all of what he says.

Was I ever on the inside?
02-04-2005 10:49 rob 3.0 is offline Send an Email to rob 3.0 Homepage of rob 3.0 Search for Posts by rob 3.0 Add rob 3.0 to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of rob 3.0: digitalrob3 YIM Account Name of rob 3.0: flashfan77 View the MSN Profile for rob 3.0
carl carl is a male
Flower in the Sand

Registration Date: 06-02-2004
Favorite 77s album: The Funky Crow Thang
Location: Loveland, CO.... "I told my mother when I was four years old I wanted to be a Rock and Roll singer and a dishwasher. And that's kinda how it's worked out."

1) Don't anybody talk to him about Christianity; 2) He was nonetheless raised on Christian music and still enjoys the 7s; 3) He thinks The Funky Crow Thang is "fun and anguish-free" Roll Eyes

(this is my official work photo, BTW... Tongue Shocked )
02-04-2005 10:49 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Homepage of carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List
TJ 2.0
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-413.gif

Registration Date: 09-13-2004
Favorite 77s album: Island/Sticks and Stones/88

cut and paste from the site:

tangentæ

The 77's are one of my favorite pop bands. Quite simply, I think this group is comprised of very talented, creative artists who surround themselves with very talented, creative artists. But these guys hold a special place in my life for a lot of reasons...

I grew up on Christian music. In fact, for most of my childhood, I was forbidden to listen to non-Christian music. When I get nostalgic for the 80's, I don't get Duran Duran stuck in my head, I get "Meltdown" stuck in my head. As you are probably aware, most of these groups are bland, boring, uninteresting and have all the innovation of a box of corn flakes. And I remember in 1987 (i was fifteen years old) picking up a copy of DA's Darn Floor - Big Bite. And I HATED IT - it was so totally not what I usually listened to. But I couldn't stop going back to it - again and again. And now I consider it one of my favorite recordings of all time.

Same happened in 1989 when a friend played me the Island album start to finish. By "What Was In That Letter," I was hooked. By "Pearls Before Swine" though, I was thinking "What is this awful trash?!" ...but I just couldn't stop listening.

It was bands like these that first taught me to listen to music with an intelligent ear. And in homage, I put this little site up on the internet.

and from the SOAPBOX section (this is the one I was talking about):

Don't mean to rant, but...

There is a little-known side to the myuzik-biz as pertains to religious music. I suspect it is due to the religious right's natural aversion to rock music amid the paranoia of McCarthyism and the Red Scare, but as Christian Rock (or more appropriately, Christian pop) become more and more popular, Christian artists still needed to segregate themselves from their secular counterparts to be accepted by the religious community. ...which is why there are Christian record companies and (peculiarly) why a Christian album will have a separate company that distributes it to the secular market.

Christianity is an unusual religion. `Course every religion is unique, really. But with Christianity in this enlightened age, the non-believers are no longer persecuted for heresy. Instead, they are relentlessly pursued by the devout out of fear of their damnation. A true Believer is in a unique position because according to their faith, everyone they meet is in Very Grave Eternal Danger. Immense pressure, really, on the devout. Hence the fanatical urgency of Christian evangelism - the need is so desparate.

Your average Christian musical artist tends not to be encouraged by the audience - or more significantly, the market - to create good music to create good music. Their efforts all must stem back to dispersing a message. There is no greater cause than to rescue the lost. Anything short of that is (at its most noble) wasting valuable time or (at its most pagan) guilty of pride - which is Mortal Sin #1 by the old catechism.

So which is better for Spreading The Gospel? To mass produce watered-down artless music that nobody likes? Or to finely craft a body of music that leaves "finding Jesus" to the listener through artful description of Christian themes?

I will take the 5th on this one and simply contend that they both suck. And I will go further to say that music made for the purpose of evangelism will always suck. I can't speak for Spreading The Gospel, but people listen to music because they like listening to music. Not because they feel like they need saving. Most of the people who listen to Christian Music are Christians, Christian artists are literally preaching to the choir - they tend more to be Christian cheerleaders.

There are other Christian artists out there and we don't know they're Christians. And that's cool. Because it shouldn't matter. Christian artists shouldn't try to separate themselves from non-Christian artists. In fact, as far as art and Christianity go - the responsibility is invariably on the viewer. Back when I called myself a Christian, such "heretical" works as XTC's "Dear God" and Scorcese's film The Last Temptation of Christ reinforced my Christian faith - because I participated in them as a Christian Viewer - irrespective of the faith of the artist.

not to say that exhortative "for the Church" works are bad or artless. there are tons of non-Christian hard-core fans of traditional shoutin' black gospel for example. but the aim of traditional shoutin' black gospel is not evangelism, now is it?

I crave a time that the Christian church starts to see itself, not as God's chosen, nor the sole bearer of truth, nor again the light of the world, but as adherents to the ever-evolving Christian religious thought. They need to shake this "need for salvation" business. Christianity needs a good, solid dose of intellectualism if it is going to make it to the future with any kind of class. They need to read their Bible as a piece of literature and not as a collection of edicts. The Christian faith needs intellectual leadership that pursues cohesiveness with other faiths and rejects fundamentalism.

It cannot survive on its present course. The Church needs another revolution.

Mark W. B. Allender

NOW, what I find interesting is how he says that "Christian" artists shouldn't try to separate themselves, all the while making the distinction throughout his website between the two. And apparently, he hasn't caught wind of the likes of The Fire Theft, POD, Switchfoot, Sixpence, and countless others, who ARE Christians, and yet, don't preach it from the stage, or wear it on their sleeve.
02-04-2005 11:00 TJ 2.0 is offline Send an Email to TJ 2.0 Homepage of TJ 2.0 Search for Posts by TJ 2.0 Add TJ 2.0 to your Buddy List
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Thank you for the cut-n-paste, sir.

I think that there is a reason for people to create whatever style of music that comes from within them, because not all of us can draw a whole lot from the proper Adult Contemporary CCM arena.

02-04-2005 14:08 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
BigDork
Happy Roy

images/avatars/avatar-218.jpg

Registration Date: 05-28-2004
Location: lI was lonely and hungry, but not so lonely I wouldn't eat

"When I get nostalgic for the 80's, I don't get Duran Duran stuck in my head, I get "Meltdown" stuck in my head."

heh heh Tongue

02-04-2005 20:57 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
dennis
Happy Roy

images/avatars/avatar-487.jpg

Registration Date: 10-03-2004
Favorite 77s album: "88"

quote:
Originally posted by BigDork
"When I get nostalgic for the 80's, I don't get Duran Duran stuck in my head, I get "Meltdown" stuck in my head."

heh heh Tongue

That seems to be some kind of curse either way!Evil

I was driving by the Xcell Energy Center yesterday for work and I saw on the big mega-screen they showed what I thought was an ad for Rod Stewart in concert at the Xcell. They had Rod and his leather face and fake blond hair jumping around and singing "old guy style."
and then it turns out to be...

Duran Duran!! Shocked
02-05-2005 05:41 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
sirjakeyjake sirjakeyjake is a male
Praying Naked

images/avatars/avatar-99.gif

Registration Date: 07-29-2004
Favorite 77s album: S&S

I love this line: "They need to shake this "need for salvation" business." Seems to me that's like saying I need to shake my dependence on gravity and so here I go a-jumpin' off of this building...

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
\./
-------------------

SPLAT

Smile Ok, time for bed...

"We are the music makers,
and we are the dreamers of dreams."
----------Willy Wonka----------
02-07-2005 00:54 sirjakeyjake is offline Send an Email to sirjakeyjake Search for Posts by sirjakeyjake Add sirjakeyjake to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for sirjakeyjake
carl carl is a male
Flower in the Sand

Registration Date: 06-02-2004
Favorite 77s album: The Funky Crow Thang
Location: Loveland, CO.... "I told my mother when I was four years old I wanted to be a Rock and Roll singer and a dishwasher. And that's kinda how it's worked out."

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yeah, that particular line rubbed me the wrong way too. Kinda like saying "Those Christians need to stop paying so much attention to what the Bible says." Roll Eyes

(this is my official work photo, BTW... Tongue Shocked )
02-07-2005 05:47 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Homepage of carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

quote:
Originally posted by sirjakeyjake
I love this line: "They need to shake this "need for salvation" business." Seems to me that's like saying I need to shake my dependence on gravity and so here I go a-jumpin' off of this building...

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
\./
-------------------

SPLAT

Smile Ok, time for bed...

The analogy certainly does bring out the need to maintain the ability to think independently. There are no end of persons ready to tell you how to think in the same breath that they're cautioning you against letting anyone tell you how to think.

02-07-2005 10:06 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
Praying Naked

Exactly. At least, I think that's what I was thinking when I wrote that...

When someone goes beyond mere opinionated speculation, like the fellow sounds in the way he wrote it (as though with some authoritative stance on all of Christianity, not merely his perspective influenced by his own experience in a very narrowed part of Christianity, I think), then there's trouble.

"Anger leads to hate; hate leads to fear; fear leads to the Dark Side." (Man, I hope I quoted that right.)

02-08-2005 14:29 sirjakeyjake is offline Send an Email to sirjakeyjake Search for Posts by sirjakeyjake Add sirjakeyjake to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for sirjakeyjake
Praying Naked

quote:
Originally posted by carl
Yeah, that particular line rubbed me the wrong way too. Kinda like saying "Those Christians need to stop paying so much attention to what the Bible says." Roll Eyes

"You fellers over there should listen less to what God has said over the ages and more to what the group (all religions) says." Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by sirjakeyjake: 02-08-2005 14:32.

02-08-2005 14:32 sirjakeyjake is offline Send an Email to sirjakeyjake Search for Posts by sirjakeyjake Add sirjakeyjake to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for sirjakeyjake
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

I've spent too much time studying the Aristotelian rules of logical debate to get along with the idea of steering by the common ground shared by all religions. I think that it's a noble-sounding thoerem that doesn't hold water when it's examined in detail. I don't think you can even say that they have love in common, since some of them don't regard it too highly or necessarily see a lot of it in God, who they regard as either too impersonal or too bent on power to bother with it. While I feel it's essential to respect people regardless of their philosophical positions, I don't believe it's essential to feign agreement with them in order to respect them. Some ideas are irreconcilable--you hold one or the other of opposite positions on an issue.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Marti: 02-08-2005 14:57.

02-08-2005 14:47 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
Audiori J
unregistered

quote:

tangentæ

I crave a time that the Christian church starts to see itself,
not as God's chosen, nor the sole bearer of truth, nor again
the light of the world, but as adherents to the ever-evolving
Christian religious thought. They need to shake this "need
for salvation" business.
Christianity needs a good, solid dose
of intellectualism if it is going to make it to the future with
any kind of class. They need to read their Bible as a piece
of literature
and not as a collection of edicts. The Christian
faith needs intellectual leadership that pursues cohesiveness
with other faiths and rejects fundamentalism.

It cannot survive on its present course. The Church needs
another revolution.

This guy while on one hand makes some logical arguments
about what Christian music is or should be. Bases all his thought
on a HUGE misconception of what Christianity is. He seems
to think its better to get along with others than to share the
Gospel. That we are not called to be the salt of the earth, the
light of the world, the bringer of the "Good News."
02-09-2005 11:59
jopawil jopawil is a male
Someone New

Registration Date: 01-05-2005

tolerance is the new intolerance Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:

tangentæ

for salvation" business.
of literature

another revolution.

If this guy were such an intelectual, he would realize that a truely open minded person would never tell someone else they were close minded. He says we need to shake the "need for salvation", yet his entire rant is an edict telling us how we need to be saved according to his take on the world. Everyone who argues in such a manner is in essence trying to "proselytize" others to their viewpoint. He's just as much a "fundamentalist" as anyone else.

02-10-2005 10:10 jopawil is offline Send an Email to jopawil Search for Posts by jopawil Add jopawil to your Buddy List
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

RE: tolerance is the new intolerance Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by jopawil
quote:

tangentæ

for salvation" business.
of literature

another revolution.

If this guy were such an intelectual, he would realize that a truely open minded person would never tell someone else they were close minded. He says we need to shake the "need for salvation", yet his entire rant is an edict telling us how we need to be saved according to his take on the world. Everyone who argues in such a manner is in essence trying to "proselytize" others to their viewpoint. He's just as much a "fundamentalist" as anyone else.

This is the contradiction that kept me from being seduced by such rhetoric when I was young. Denouncing supposed disrepect in a highly disrespectful manner is an endorsement of the thing being criticized.

02-10-2005 10:42 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
.evangeline. .evangeline. is a female
Radioactive Hatchling

Registration Date: 06-05-2004

Roll Eyes "it cannot survive" Roll Eyes

It is the only thing that will survive, dude.

"...the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it by force."
02-10-2005 10:45 .evangeline. is offline Send an Email to .evangeline. Search for Posts by .evangeline. Add .evangeline. to your Buddy List
phreak phreak is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

Registration Date: 08-02-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning With Land In Sight

quote:
Originally posted by .evangeline.
Roll Eyes "it cannot survive" Roll Eyes

It is the only thing that will survive, dude.

"though the flowers fade and the grass whithers..."

~ ffphreeack!! ~

Christianity 101: love God; love others

02-10-2005 10:47 phreak is offline Send an Email to phreak Search for Posts by phreak Add phreak to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of phreak: doug77@mac.com
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » 77s site

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH