77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » lyrics to City of Refuge » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page lyrics to City of Refuge
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
matbathome
Someone New

Registration Date: 11-20-2004

lyrics to City of Refuge Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hello:

Does anyone have the lyrics to "I'm gonna run to the City of Refuge"? I've googled it with no luck.

Matt
11-20-2004 09:56 matbathome is offline Send an Email to matbathome Search for Posts by matbathome Add matbathome to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Flower in the Sand

Registration Date: 06-02-2004
Favorite 77s album: The Funky Crow Thang
Location: Loveland, CO.... "I told my mother when I was four years old I wanted to be a Rock and Roll singer and a dishwasher. And that's kinda how it's worked out."

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Same luck.

Here's what I could figure out:

wehhhhhehehehehehhhhhhhhhl
hibby was preaching the gospel
standing with a leather belt
I'll show you once a heaven
revealed to all who come in
well, let me tell you, I'm a sinner
if you want to join in heaven's band
well, you gots to be converted
from the guilt of a natural man
and you gotta run
run run and run and run
you gotta run
run run and run and run
run run and run and run

wehhhhhhhhhll, the Holy Ghost is a mystery
herds are playing all over the land
well, you're struggling hard with your master
gotta stay in Jesus' hand
well, a too biddy tabe a revelation
fall in love with a book and verse
well, the war broke out in heaven
begging John from the death of hell
wehhhhhhhhhll, you gotta run
I'm gonna run to the city of refuge
wehhhhhhhhhll, run run and run and run
wehhhhhhhhhll, run run and run and run

wehhhhhhhhhhhhhl
NEBBANEBBA NAM NEBBANEBBANAM
NUBBANUBBA NUH NUBBANUBBANUH
NUBBANUBBA NUH NUBBANUBBANUH Tongue
Wehhhhhhlllllheeehehehehehehyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Wehhhhhhl, the wubby got a view of the table
when Judas was about to leave
Jesus told a fade a dibby huddy shake
the Holy Spirit set you free
when you're standing before your Maker
when you're rhyme all over the dud
will you kneel at the feet of the woman in the street
with the gutters around the flies
with the gutters around the flies

Wehhhhhhhhhll, you better run
Wehhhhhhhhhll, you better run
I'm gonna run to the city of refuge
I'm gonna run to the city of, city of

So, how'd I do? Tongue

(this is my official work photo, BTW... Tongue Shocked )
12-10-2004 11:28 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Homepage of carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

images/avatars/avatar-381.gif

Registration Date: 11-17-2004
Favorite 77s album: The one's Mike plays guitar on

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I think that Carl's got it!

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies
and i don't understand it"

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
12-10-2004 11:42 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
rob 3.0 rob 3.0 is a male
Radioactive Crow

images/avatars/avatar-180.gif

Registration Date: 05-28-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning With Land in Sight

I haven't looked at the liner notes with any scrutiny but aren't the lyrics in the liner notes?

Was I ever on the inside?
12-10-2004 11:55 rob 3.0 is offline Send an Email to rob 3.0 Homepage of rob 3.0 Search for Posts by rob 3.0 Add rob 3.0 to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of rob 3.0: digitalrob3 YIM Account Name of rob 3.0: flashfan77 View the MSN Profile for rob 3.0
carl carl is a male
Flower in the Sand

Location: Loveland, CO.... "I told my mother when I was four years old I wanted to be a Rock and Roll singer and a dishwasher. And that's kinda how it's worked out."

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

No. Neither is the credit to Blind Willy. At least Mike repented of that in Charlottesville. Big Grin

12-10-2004 12:17 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Homepage of carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List
Radioactive Crow

ok but the rest of them are in there right? I'm not going crazy am I?

12-10-2004 12:19 rob 3.0 is offline Send an Email to rob 3.0 Homepage of rob 3.0 Search for Posts by rob 3.0 Add rob 3.0 to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of rob 3.0: digitalrob3 YIM Account Name of rob 3.0: flashfan77 View the MSN Profile for rob 3.0
carl carl is a male
Flower in the Sand

Cool Respectively... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

1) Yes, the rest of them are there; 2) Who the faith am I to know if y'r crazy or not???? Roll Eyes

Tongue

12-10-2004 12:21 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Homepage of carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List
Radioactive Crow

Ok well thanks for clearing that up for me carl.

12-10-2004 12:31 rob 3.0 is offline Send an Email to rob 3.0 Homepage of rob 3.0 Search for Posts by rob 3.0 Add rob 3.0 to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of rob 3.0: digitalrob3 YIM Account Name of rob 3.0: flashfan77 View the MSN Profile for rob 3.0
Lovely Man Lovely Man is a male
Someone New

Registration Date: 09-17-2004

RE: lyrics to City of Refuge Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

"The wubby got a view of the table"? My 3-year-old niece has a blanket she calls "wubby". Other than that, I have no idea what one is. Anyone care to enlighten me?

bad bad breath (yuck)
01-05-2005 09:05 Lovely Man is offline Send an Email to Lovely Man Search for Posts by Lovely Man Add Lovely Man to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Flower in the Sand

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I think it's Mike yet again commenting self-deprecatingly upon his mortality and relentless aging -- to that inevitable point where all of us, sooner or later, become hopelessly and inexorably "wubby."

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by carl: 01-05-2005 11:02.

01-05-2005 11:01 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Homepage of carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List
jopawil jopawil is a male
Someone New

Registration Date: 01-05-2005

lyrics to city of refuge Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

OK, here's what I've gleaned from my complete Blind Willie Johnson CD, if you're still interested. I'm pretty sure it's accurate, but it's by no means the definitive translation. Mike arranged it differently than Willie, and has changed some of the words or didn't listen as closely as I did. Mike also added a bit at the end of his version about kneeling at the feet with the woman in the street etc.. My voice recognition software doesn't like stylized words, so what sounds like "ahhmmona run" in the song, is written as: "I'm going to run"

I'm going to run, I'm going to run,
I'm going to run to the city of refuge, I'm going to run

Oh, Peter was preaching the gospel.
He's standing with 11 men.
I'm sure you wind up in heaven.
If you would just only come in.
I'm going to run, etc.

Uhh, let me tell you, my sinner.
If you want to join in the band.
Well, you've got to be converted.
And give the preacher your hand.
I'm going to run, etc.

Well, the holy ghost is a mystery.
Paul said it in the land.
Was struggling hard at Damascus.
Trying to stay in Jesus' hand.
I'm going to run, etc.

Well, the 12th chapter Revelation.
Come along with the 13th verse.
The Dragons of John they had their ___ bound.
Dragons ___ a death in hell.
I'm going to run, etc.

Well, around that feasting table.
When Judas was about to leave.
Well, the apostles prayed down in their heart.
That the holy ghost set you free.
I'm going to run, etc.

01-05-2005 20:49 jopawil is offline Send an Email to jopawil Search for Posts by jopawil Add jopawil to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Flower in the Sand

Well, yeah.... that one's pretty close too.... Roll Eyes

Tongue

(seriously, thanks....)

01-06-2005 06:01 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Homepage of carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List
phreak phreak is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

Registration Date: 08-02-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning With Land In Sight

RE: lyrics to city of refuge Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by jopawil
OK, here's what I've gleaned from my complete Blind Willie Johnson CD, if you're still interested. I'm pretty sure it's accurate, but it's by no means the definitive translation. Mike arranged it differently than Willie, and has changed some of the words or didn't listen as closely as I did. Mike also added a bit at the end of his version about kneeling at the feet with the woman in the street etc.. My voice recognition software doesn't like stylized words, so what sounds like "ahhmmona run" in the song, is written as: "I'm going to run"

I'm going to run, I'm going to run,
I'm going to run to the city of refuge, I'm going to run

Oh, Peter was preaching the gospel.
He's standing with 11 men.
I'm sure you wind up in heaven.
If you would just only come in.
I'm going to run, etc.

Uhh, let me tell you, my sinner.
If you want to join in the band.
Well, you've got to be converted.
And give the preacher your hand.
I'm going to run, etc.

Well, the holy ghost is a mystery.
Paul said it in the land.
Was struggling hard at Damascus.
Trying to stay in Jesus' hand.
I'm going to run, etc.

Well, the 12th chapter Revelation.
Come along with the 13th verse.
The Dragons of John they had their ___ bound.
Dragons ___ a death in hell.
I'm going to run, etc.

Well, around that feasting table.
When Judas was about to leave.
Well, the apostles prayed down in their heart.
That the holy ghost set you free.
I'm going to run, etc.

NICE!!

Cool

~ ffphreeack!! ~

Christianity 101: love God; love others

01-07-2005 09:29 phreak is offline Send an Email to phreak Search for Posts by phreak Add phreak to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of phreak: doug77@mac.com
Radioactive Crow

Wait, there's something wrong.
He forgot the wehhhhhhhhhhhhhl
NUBBANUBBA NUH NUBBANUBBANUH part. Big Grin

01-07-2005 13:25 rob 3.0 is offline Send an Email to rob 3.0 Homepage of rob 3.0 Search for Posts by rob 3.0 Add rob 3.0 to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of rob 3.0: digitalrob3 YIM Account Name of rob 3.0: flashfan77 View the MSN Profile for rob 3.0
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

Well, that is at least as close as I got to it. I'm running out the door right now but I'll sit down with it later and try and decipher the gobbledegook that I made up to fill in the stuff I couldn't understand from listening to Blind Willie sing it.

I used to wonder why Robert Plant made up his own (also indecipherable) words to the Zeppelin version and Pagey took credit for the music -- it's pretty much a free-for-all given Blind Willie's impenetrable reading of the tune. Furthermore, to my knowledge there is no one left alive willing to take the money from any royalties generated. Heck, even CBS doesn't list the publishing anywhere on their archival collection of his recordings, so at this point it's a bit of a wash.

Having said the above, I am very sorry I forgot to credit Blind. It was simply an oversight on my part. We certainly won't be getting rich from it. I'm still thousands of $$ in debt for having just a little too much Fun With Sound!

Oh, and the last verse about the "woman in the street and the gutters will run with blood" is from Nick Cave's version. I don't know where he heard it, but it appears the song has now fallen into folk music's deep well of private interpretation. Regardless, Mark and I have loved it for years so he came up with the Zeppy arrangement and insisted that we cut it in a panic at the end of the album's sessions. It turned into a bit of a mess but we threw it on anyway. That's what the album was all about in the first place, but it got kinda serious along the way. "Refuge" pulls it up while the credits roll.
01-07-2005 20:30 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
BigDork
Happy Roy

images/avatars/avatar-218.jpg

Location: lI was lonely and hungry, but not so lonely I wouldn't eat

Cool

hi Dr. Love

01-07-2005 22:15 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

images/avatars/avatar-381.gif

Registration Date: 11-17-2004
Favorite 77s album: The one's Mike plays guitar on

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Love

Having said the above, I am very sorry I forgot to credit Blind. It was simply an oversight on my part. We certainly won't be getting rich from it. I'm still thousands of $$ in debt for having just a little too much Fun With Sound!

I rave about it as much as I can, and tell everyone they need to buy it. Trying to help out, but unless the money truck comes and drops some off at the door, that's about the best I can do.

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies
and i don't understand it"

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
01-08-2005 07:47 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
phreak phreak is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

Registration Date: 08-02-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning With Land In Sight

Mike (aka dr. love) - Thanks for taking the financial hits and risks to put out such great stuff... FWS is one fantastic release...

thanks so much...

~f

~ ffphreeack!! ~

Christianity 101: love God; love others

01-08-2005 17:00 phreak is offline Send an Email to phreak Search for Posts by phreak Add phreak to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of phreak: doug77@mac.com
.evangeline. .evangeline. is a female
Radioactive Hatchling

Registration Date: 06-05-2004

Mike,

We all feel the way Phffreaak does; he just states things better than we are able to. Much, much appreciation!

"...the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it by force."
01-19-2005 11:50 .evangeline. is offline Send an Email to .evangeline. Search for Posts by .evangeline. Add .evangeline. to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » lyrics to City of Refuge

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH