77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » Somebody sent me Shakedown Street » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Somebody sent me Shakedown Street 4 Votes - Average Rating: 7.754 Votes - Average Rating: 7.754 Votes - Average Rating: 7.75
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

Somebody sent me Shakedown Street Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Today I received a copy of The Grateful Dead's Shakedown Street in an anonymous packet from one "CPS" company in Charlottesville, VA. No cardboard cover sleeve or artwork. Merely the newly remastered version (from the recent box set Beyond Description) in a thin jewel case.

I received the "Beyond" box as a Christmas gift and have been enjoying it quite a bit so I felt bad that someone went to all this trouble for me but did not reveal their identity. I truly hope they didn't rob their Beyond set in order to share this album with me since I already have both the new one and the original!

If anyone out there in SeventySevensLand did this, please let me know so I can get you your Shakedown back in a jiffy.
04-03-2005 16:19 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
larryl larryl is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-446.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2004

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

it wasn't me, but that is a fantastic album. i love it. Cool

i think you and i are pretty much the only dead fans around here, so i can't imagine who else it might have been.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by larryl: 04-03-2005 17:06.

04-03-2005 17:02 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Homepage of larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of larryl: nashvillelarryl YIM Account Name of larryl: larryl922
dennis
Happy Roy

images/avatars/avatar-487.jpg

Registration Date: 10-03-2004
Favorite 77s album: "88"

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I am a Dead fan, but it was not me.

I have Shakedown Street on Vinyl! Pleased
04-03-2005 17:20 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis
Happy Roy

American Beauty and Working Man's Dead I own on CD! Pleased
04-03-2005 17:21 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
RaySteele
Praying Naked

images/avatars/avatar-143.jpg

Registration Date: 04-01-2005

i feel like i'm supposed to dig the Dead but i just ain't heard nothin from 'em that strikes me fancy. maybe i should pretend like i sent mike the cd so i can get me hands on a freebie??

Love,
Darby O'Gilligan

04-03-2005 19:47 RaySteele is offline Send an Email to RaySteele Search for Posts by RaySteele Add RaySteele to your Buddy List
Doctor Love

Thread Starter Thread Started by Doctor Love
Shakedown Street Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'd be happy to get you started on the Dead trail, but Shakedown Street is not the place to begin. It's actually one of their weakest efforts, in my opinion. Got some cool songs on it but Lowell George's production was weak and the band didn't really rise to the occasion of the material.

Headin' out the door right now but I'll get back to you on this topic if you're truly open to exploring the wondrous world of the Dead!
04-03-2005 20:07 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
RaySteele
Praying Naked

RE: Shakedown Street Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Love
I'd be happy to get you started on the Dead trail, but Shakedown Street is not the place to begin. It's actually one of their weakest efforts, in my opinion. Got some cool songs on it but Lowell George's production was weak and the band didn't really rise to the occasion of the material.

Headin' out the door right now but I'll get back to you on this topic if you're truly open to exploring the wondrous world of the Dead!

The Grateful Dead are one of those bands that I knew I was "supposed" to like, but I just never found anything by them that truly moved me. Then again, I've only heard their most popular, overplayed songs like "Truckin'" "Touch Of Gray" and "Casey Jones". I heard a version of "Fire On The Mountain" by them that I really liked. Other than that, I'm completely ignorant of their work. I often considered buying (I might have the title wrong) "Anthem Of The Sun" but I'm a little bit wary of the 60's psychedelia stuff (too dated-sounding for my tastes); I much rather prefer early-to-mid-70's music. So, yes, let me know where I should start. I've heard that the band's studio stuff was nothing compared to their live albums.

04-03-2005 20:20 RaySteele is offline Send an Email to RaySteele Search for Posts by RaySteele Add RaySteele to your Buddy List
dennis
Happy Roy

I have a bootleg of the Dead covering Dylan songs called "Postcards from the Hangning."
04-03-2005 20:49 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-446.jpg

i have a bunch of live stuff...some of it great, some of it just ok.

i think i like shakedown because it just has a really loose, easy feeling to it.....

04-03-2005 22:20 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Homepage of larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of larryl: nashvillelarryl YIM Account Name of larryl: larryl922
dennis
Happy Roy

The Dead seemed pretty hit or miss for most of their career.
Either really kick ass or just okay.

Confused
04-03-2005 22:34 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Doctor Love

I figgered it out Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Never mind you guys. I figured out who did this.

Now I just need to figure out why. It's the same person who bought me the "Beyond Description" box, and at no time did I tell them that the Shakedown disc was missing or anything.

Weird. At least it's nice to know that when you lose or damage part of a large box, there is possibly some kind of recourse somewhere!
04-03-2005 23:49 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
phreak phreak is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

Registration Date: 08-02-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning With Land In Sight

nystery solved Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

nothing to see here... move right allong.

Hey, keep moving - there is nothing to see...

Tongue

~ ffphreeack!! ~

Christianity 101: love God; love others

04-04-2005 04:30 phreak is offline Send an Email to phreak Search for Posts by phreak Add phreak to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of phreak: doug77@mac.com
TJ 2.0
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-413.gif

Registration Date: 09-13-2004
Favorite 77s album: Island/Sticks and Stones/88

My wife is a RABID Dead fan.....saw Jerry's last live show, and saw them MANY times previous.

I never got into them until AFTER Jerry died. Strange, I know, but they are a great band. They definately opened up my musical tastes to a broader scope of material that now includes bands like:

The Big Wu
Dave Matthews
Trey Anastasio
The Polyphonic Spree

I would have never liked those bands were it not for the Dead.
04-04-2005 07:45 TJ 2.0 is offline Send an Email to TJ 2.0 Homepage of TJ 2.0 Search for Posts by TJ 2.0 Add TJ 2.0 to your Buddy List
lam77s

Registration Date: 05-29-2004

Glenn was/is a huge Dead fan. He was an official Dead Head back in the day, had joined the fanclub and everything. My absolute favorite album of theirs was "Wake of the Flood," though there's plenty of great stuff out there.

I saw them live a few times outdoors back in the 70's and back then I thought they weren't too good outside--all because their sound systems were never that good. BUT indoors, saw them a couple of times and WOW! Amazing!! Of course I especially liked the San Francisco show on the Wake of the Flood tour. I must say, I was in heaven.
04-04-2005 12:38 lam77s is offline Send an Email to lam77s Search for Posts by lam77s Add lam77s to your Buddy List
Nailtatt Nailtatt is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-212.jpg

Registration Date: 05-28-2004
Favorite 77s album: Sticks and Stones

Cool

04-04-2005 21:46 Nailtatt is offline Send an Email to Nailtatt Search for Posts by Nailtatt Add Nailtatt to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Nailtatt
RaySteele
Praying Naked

RE: I figgered it out Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Love
Never mind you guys. I figured out who did this.

Now I just need to figure out why. It's the same person who bought me the "Beyond Description" box, and at no time did I tell them that the Shakedown disc was missing or anything.

Weird. At least it's nice to know that when you lose or damage part of a large box, there is possibly some kind of recourse somewhere!

This person's name wasn't Rayford Steele, was it?

Awww, shucks.

04-05-2005 00:44 RaySteele is offline Send an Email to RaySteele Search for Posts by RaySteele Add RaySteele to your Buddy List
Doctor Love

RE: Somebody sent me Shakedown Street Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

The mystery solved! And check it out -- the Dead and their distribution channels have gone to great lengths to correct a minor problem. Apparently there is a balm in Gilead from time to time.....

Dear Dead Head,

Unfortunately, after the production, packaging, and subsequent distribution of the Beyond Description Box Set, a technical glitch was discovered on the Shakedown Street disc. Many of you have already received your replacement disc for that item. If you haven't, it is due soon. We apologize for not including a note in the packaging to alleviate confusion. We appreciate your support, and hope you are enjoying this fantastic collection of Grateful Dead music.

Regards,

GD Customer Service'
04-05-2005 13:36 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
dennis
Happy Roy

How nice! Pleased
04-05-2005 14:19 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Favorite 77s album: Drowning with Land in Sight

Such things are a liability of the new postal media rates. You can't stick notes in with the media to explain why exactly you've sent it.

04-05-2005 14:21 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
dennis
Happy Roy

Is that a picture of Brian Wilson?

I was just watching the Beach Boys in the Live Aid DVD.
it had Brian performing with the dead beach boys.
it's pretty damn cool! Cool
04-05-2005 14:21 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » Somebody sent me Shakedown Street

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH