77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » Lyrics Please ?? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (4): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Lyrics Please ??
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Cynthia
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-483.jpg

Registration Date: 07-20-2005

RE: finally Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Love
OK everyone, I have just about got this puppy under control.

There are a few dubious things that I will have to check by actually listening to the disc itself, but it's 95% there.

Cynthia did a (mostly) outstanding job with this. There are a few funny personal interpretations she fell into which I found most amusing, but I am actually quite surprised that there wasn't a whole lot more of that -- most folks end up practically rewriting the song!

Cyn, I will forward the Word doc. back to you as soon as I am all finished up.

IT'S ALIVE!!! IT'S ALIVE!!!

Thanks (I guess) : )

I guess this is what I intended to say back a few postings ago, instead of "It lives. It lives." I was thinking of the Mel Brooks film, but must have got it mixed up with the Easter hymn "he lives, he lives, Christ Jesus lives today.." Oops... Big Grin

Jason, I'm curious, were the words close to what you thought they'd be? What did you think of them?

10-20-2009 13:06 Cynthia is offline Search for Posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your Buddy List
jason
Someone New

Registration Date: 06-03-2004

Thread Starter Thread Started by jason
RE: finally Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Cynthia
Jason, I'm curious, were the words close to what you thought they'd be? What did you think of them?

First off I should clarify that I probably had lyrics to about a 1/3 or more of Holy Ghost Building since I was albe to find a some of those lyrics online. Remember that it was actually Rising Sun that I was really trying to get the lyrics for. But it's wonderful to have the complete Building lyrics. I only mention that so that you understand below why I say that I already had some of the lyrics. While I could find some of the lyrics for Building on my own, I've not had the same luck with Rising Sun. I haven't found ANY lyrics for that so far.

I'M WORKING ON A BUILDING

I knew most of the lyrics to this one. I never could figure out the last verse though since none of the versions I found online matched. So it's nice to know now what the last verse says. This is probably my second favorite song on the album. Very smooth vocals and catchy jangle sounds. A few months after the album came out, my church actually had a work day to do some clean-up and some strucural repairs. I sure wish I had the album with me to play because it sure would've been fitting. Instead I had to be content with the song playing in my head the whole day.

KEEP YOUR LAMPS...

I had the lyrics to this one. I don't think there were any differences to what I had before.

STRANGER...

This is all new to me as I didn't have any of the lyrics. Painfully honest song.

I'LL REMEMBER YOU...

This is also all new to me. I didn't know any of the lyrics before. I love the lyricsm of this song, especially the first verse.

"When the curtains of night are pinned back by stars
And the beautiful moon sweeps the sky
When the dew drops of heaven are kissing the rose
It's then that my memory flies"

That is beautiful. This song has become a hot track for me because of the awesome lyrics.

YOU GONNA BE SORRY..

I sort of had lyrics for this one. The arrangement was different and I couldn't really match the singing to particular words. So while I had the gist, I didn't know Mike's specific take on it. This is probably my favorite on the album. That guitar beat or whatever you want to call it is really unique and it just grabs my attention every time.

WHAT WOULD YOU GIVE...

This one was all new to me. I didn't have any of the lyrics. It's a real pretty song - I like the harmonizing. It certainly adds to the song to know the lyrics. It's one of the standout songs to me on this album.

HE'S A MIGHTY GOOD LEADER

I had the lyrics to this one already.

WHEN MY BLUE MOON

It's Elvis! It wasn't hard to find the lyrics to this one. Very nice blusey tune.

EVERYBODY OUGHT TO PRAY

Another new one to me. I didn't know any of the lyrics. It's insteresting how it has a similar repetition pattern like the Working On a Building song.

I'M GONNA RUN...

I was really looking forward to the lyrics of this one. The version of this song on Fun With Sound is one of my favorite songs period. But the lyrics so hard to understand, even with partial lyrics. I was hoping these lyrics would fill in the gaps on that other version - but alas some of it is still totally undecipherable to me.

A LIFETIME...

Another new one to me. I see now what people meant when they said this song didn't really fit with the rest of the album. It's a melancholy tune on an album of gospel songs. But the song itself is classic 77s. Reminds me of other songs like Begin or Best I Have. It's that pining type of song. Lifetime just needs a better home. I'll have to make a playlist of some sort and put this one on it.

---

Cynthia, again, thank you for the lyrics. It adds depths to the album and becomes more than just music. It almost becomes soul nutrition if you get what I'm saying. I'm one of those people who normally prefers songs with good lyrics - not just good music.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by jason: 10-21-2009 07:18.

10-21-2009 07:17 jason is offline Send an Email to jason Search for Posts by jason Add jason to your Buddy List
Cynthia
Mezzo

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I get what you mean. I think I've stated before, the melody has to be something I like or I won't really bother paying attention to the words. Writing out the words for these songs was good for me though, because there were some songs that I didn't bother with much like "What Would You Give In Exchange For Your Soul" because I had the wrong idea about it (not because of the melody, but because I miss interpreted the message), but then when I really listened to the words I had a new respect for it and saw it had a good message.

I'm surprised you didn't have the lyrics for "I'll Remember You..." because I took that one straight from the internet. It's great to hear how the tunes were changed so much though. Love that pure talent.

Sorry I didn't do the lyrics for the newer album yet. I guess I didn't catch that you needed that one most.

Thanks for the response. I was curious what you thought... Smile

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Cynthia: 10-21-2009 09:42.

10-21-2009 09:42 Cynthia is offline Search for Posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your Buddy List
Cynthia
Mezzo

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

What happened to this?

10-30-2009 13:59 Cynthia is offline Search for Posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your Buddy List
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

Fell behind Frown
10-30-2009 19:37 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
Cynthia
Mezzo

No big deal. It's almost finished anyway, so it will be easy to finish and get out of your hair. (And then I'll write up the other one to put more on your shoulders... Wink )

10-31-2009 11:45 Cynthia is offline Search for Posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your Buddy List
Cynthia
Mezzo

Jason, the Rising Sun lyrics are in your PM.

11-16-2009 13:03 Cynthia is offline Search for Posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your Buddy List
jason
Someone New

Alright! To this day I've only listened to the album once because I wanted to wait for the lyrics. Actually I've heard some of the songs a few times when my player was on shuffle. But in general I've not actively listened to them.

I'm at work so I can't just yet listen to the whole album. But I did listen to Jonah in the Wilderness and it was hard to keep from smiling. Jonah was really fun to listen to. I don't hear story-telling songs like that very often. Most songs I listen to are more diffuse - like U2.

I never would have guess Mike was singing "Hey, Jonah." Even with the lyrics it sounds like "Hey John." I guess that's just some loose vocalization style right there. :-)

Cynthia, I know I sound like a broken record - but thank you thank you! Hopefully I will be able to sit-down and listen to the rest of the album tonight and I will let you and Mike know my reaction to the songs. You deserve that much. It's funny because I guess I've been warming up to this. Over the last couple of days I've been listening to some bluegrass gospel music. It's atypical of what I normally listen to. But I guess I'm in the right mindset now for Rising Sun!
11-17-2009 06:23 jason is offline Send an Email to jason Search for Posts by jason Add jason to your Buddy List
juan ahmal juan ahmal is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-551.jpg

Registration Date: 08-06-2008
Favorite 77s album: TTB

[quote]Originally posted by jason

I never would have guess Mike was singing "Hey, Jonah." Even with the lyrics it sounds like "Hey John." I guess that's just some loose vocalization style right there. :-)

quote]

I thought it was "Hey, John" and that the song was sort of about both Jonah and John the Baptist. Could be wrong. Smile

11-17-2009 08:57 juan ahmal is offline Send an Email to juan ahmal Search for Posts by juan ahmal Add juan ahmal to your Buddy List
Cynthia
Mezzo

Great Googlie Mooglie!! Maybe I was wrong...Ya know, these are unproofed lyrics, so who knows. I guess I thought it was Jonah, and it was sung that way to go along with the time period/type of music. It'll be interesting to see when the real words come out.

I enjoyed typing them up, so don't worry about it. They were good lyrics that I wouldn't of listened to so intently if I hadn't been trying to type them out.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Cynthia: 11-17-2009 14:01.

11-17-2009 14:00 Cynthia is offline Search for Posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your Buddy List
Birchell Birchell is a male
Praying Naked

images/avatars/avatar-391.jpg

Registration Date: 10-08-2004
Favorite 77s album: Impossible to pick!!!

Did you hear about the butcher who backed into the meatgrinder?? He said, "I'm getting a little behind in my work."
11-17-2009 20:26 Birchell is offline Send an Email to Birchell Search for Posts by Birchell Add Birchell to your Buddy List
jason
Someone New

quote:
Originally posted by juan ahmal
[quote]Originally posted by jason

quote]

I thought it was "Hey, John" and that the song was sort of about both Jonah and John the Baptist. Could be wrong. Smile

Could be. There's the verse about Noah too. So it's about more than just Jonah.
11-19-2009 06:04 jason is offline Send an Email to jason Search for Posts by jason Add jason to your Buddy List
jason
Someone New

Well, I've had a chance to listen to the album all the way through with the lyrics. It definitely makes for a better listening experience.

I haven't been able to sit in front of the computer at home yet. So I'll just go over one song for now before I begin work

DRY BONES

This song is like a clear, cool brook in the woods. That is the feeling I get while hearing Roe's smooth, soothing vocals. It's a gentle, comforting song speaking of the light of God in different circumstances.

Mike says "these songs make me tremble in my boots." There are other songs on the album that do that to me, but this isn't one of them. It could be that I'm looking at the song the wrong way - like the way some people see Jesus as a "safe" person rather than somebody that can actually be unsafe and untame. The song seems to emphasize God the comforter and provider to me which evokes a very safe, warm feeling.
11-19-2009 06:22 jason is offline Send an Email to jason Search for Posts by jason Add jason to your Buddy List
jason
Someone New

One more song again before work starts...

WOKE UP THIS MORNING WITH MY MIND

I'd forgotten I had the lyrics to this song. It was the only song on this album that I could find. The version I found had "with my mind *stayin'* on Jesus. It makes more sense than "standing," But the singing does sound like standing. Actually it sounds like whatever word I'm thinking of at the moment. But I never would've gotten the background lyrics if you hadn't written them. It's nice to be aware of all those "good Lordys" and "thank Gods."

I like the way Mike almost scats the lyrics. Part of it is just the old-time southern/gospel/bluegrass style of singing/pronouncing the words.

I've often wondered if the first thing I think of when I wake up is an indicator of what's most important to me. That has always bothered me because if it's true then it's not usually God. I remember hearing a preacher one time who talked about a girl he knew. The girl woke up each day saying "good morning God!" I'm more likely to still be thinking about how to solve problems at work or what I want to get done around the house.

I've always found it a challenge to make God a part of every moment of my day. "And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." - Col 3:17. This song just reminds me of that. But hopefully I can do better.
11-20-2009 06:09 jason is offline Send an Email to jason Search for Posts by jason Add jason to your Buddy List
Cynthia
Mezzo

quote:
Originally posted by jason
Well, I've had a chance to listen to the album all the way through with the lyrics. It definitely makes for a better listening experience.

I haven't been able to sit in front of the computer at home yet. So I'll just go over one song for now before I begin work

DRY BONES

This song is like a clear, cool brook in the woods. That is the feeling I get while hearing Roe's smooth, soothing vocals. It's a gentle, comforting song speaking of the light of God in different circumstances.

Mike says "these songs make me tremble in my boots." There are other songs on the album that do that to me, but this isn't one of them. It could be that I'm looking at the song the wrong way - like the way some people see Jesus as a "safe" person rather than somebody that can actually be unsafe and untame. The song seems to emphasize God the comforter and provider to me which evokes a very safe, warm feeling.

I felt the same way about that song. It actually made me cry a little when I was going through the lyrics, because it's just so awesome to think about God being with us all of the time, during the good and the bad.

11-20-2009 12:59 Cynthia is offline Search for Posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your Buddy List
Cynthia
Mezzo

I went through this album pretty quick and didn't take a lot of time with it. In Dry Bones the person that lived 365 years was Enoch. I don't know my Bible stories very well and just put whatever it sounded like to me even though I knew it was wrong. The same thing with how many elders there were in Rising Sun. I'm pretty sure that number's wrong.

11-21-2009 09:29 Cynthia is offline Search for Posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your Buddy List
jason
Someone New

Your transcriptions seem pretty accurate to me. There are only couple of spots that I still don't understand what Mike's saying even with your lyrics. So maybe those are the spots you weren't sure of either. But really it's practically all there as far as I'm concerned.

COME TO THE SAVIOUR

This is probably my least favorite song on the album musically. It feels too much like a church hymn to me but not in a good way. Too linear and too much repetition of the main line. I don't think I'll ever get into this song - sorry Mike.

But lyrically it's a very strong message. The line that stands out most to me is "When you were helpless, the Lord took your place." Normally you would hear that phrased as "Jesus died for you." But "took your place" makes the point more clearly for me. It's not that Jesus ran up ahead and prevented something from happening to you. You were already in a place of condemnation awaiting death and Jesus substituted Himself for you. It just seems more clear to me to phrase it that way.
11-23-2009 06:29 jason is offline Send an Email to jason Search for Posts by jason Add jason to your Buddy List
Birchell Birchell is a male
Praying Naked

images/avatars/avatar-391.jpg

Registration Date: 10-08-2004
Favorite 77s album: Impossible to pick!!!

I don't presently own the new album, but I'm not sure I would be able to listen to Mike sing hymn-like songs after seeing that pic of him humpin a pumpkin.....................
11-23-2009 08:38 Birchell is offline Send an Email to Birchell Search for Posts by Birchell Add Birchell to your Buddy List
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

I weren't humpin' it, it was a 'belly malfunction' ~~ Roll Eyes

Doctor Love has attached this image (reduced version):
Punkincrow.jpg

11-23-2009 14:22 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
77sfan 77sfan is a male

images/avatars/avatar-231.jpg

Registration Date: 06-08-2007
Favorite 77s album: The Island Album

"Belly malfunction?" really, okay then, what are you about to do that little guy in the above pic then? Shocked

~Saint Augustine~
11-23-2009 17:36 77sfan is offline Search for Posts by 77sfan Add 77sfan to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of 77sfan: gj100xtra
Pages (4): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » Lyrics Please ??

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH